TALKBACK - The Amazing World of Gumball - "The Cage" [12/1 (Online) 2/9 (TV)]

Latest News

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
Apr 12, 2016
Ratings
674 13

Episode 204

Fridays at 6:00p/5:00c!

The Cage
Premieres
(Online) SATURDAY 12/2
(TV) FRIDAY 2/9 at 6:00 PM

This week...

The kids convince Mr Corneille to become a cage fighter and set up a fight against a fearsome Russian fighter.​

Last edited:

SaneMan

Nov 13, 2012
Ratings
1,169 4 2
Slovak Republic
Would you say its better than the Sweaters
It was a different approach

In "The Sweaters" the plot got hijacked by the formula, and had the story play out in accordance to it, regardless of the actions of the characters (like "Asspen")

In this one, the formula essentially got hit im the face with a heavy dose of "reality ensues", completely subverting the ending as a result (kinda like "Stanley's Cup")

(I em beginning to realize the best Gumball episodes are pretty much PG rated South Park)

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,792 10
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
It was a different approach

In "The Sweaters" the plot got hijacked by the formula, and had the story play out in accordance to it, regardless of the actions of the characters (like "Asspen")

In this one ("The Cage"), the formula essentially got hit im the face with a heavy dose of "reality ensues", completely subverting the ending as a result (kinda like "Stanley's Cup")

(I am beginning to realize the best Gumball episodes are pretty much PG rated South Park)
And I'm not even a South Park fan like I'm sure some of you are... Guess it's episodes like these that could serve as a good gateway towards getting into something like that. Well, if it works, I can't say no to positive progress.

Either way, I think you nailed why this actually works in BOTH cases and still manages to be gritty & ugly, yet hilarious and engaging, without coming off as insulting to the viewer. Now, while I admit these two examples not the greatest episodes I've seen of this show (but they're still way above-average ,compared to others out there that fail royally at this brand of humor!)), I'm glad to see this show's still got it, in terms of being actually good black comedy.

So, I'll rank this episode (The Cage) as High Tier, alongside The Sweaters, and call it a day.

Last edited:

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
Apr 12, 2016
Ratings
674 13
I updated the thread and the title of the thread also I liked this episode glad I watched it early on the site.

Radical

Deborah Bispo so epic and hot!!!!!
Nov 7, 2004
Ratings
279 1
Lacey,Washington
The Cage was great/funny,

Mr. Cornielle's major focus was great, next best funny teacher character after Mr. Small.
Nice it does MMA next to The Simpsons:D.
Mr. Cornielle lying himself to be a cage fighter to impress the band aid school nurse was funny, a great cute couple.
Gumball/Darwin's own style of MMA fighting was hilarious, hahahahahaha:p.
Principal Brown's funny lines, hehehe.
The band aid school nurse has hair, surprising.
Joao the huge Fist Guy, my favorite great bizarre minor villain.
Mr. Cornielle's "training", hehehe.
Nice of Gumball to not want Mr. Cornielle to fight Joao.
Poor Mr. Cornielle's loss at the end, hehehe:p.

I hope to see more of The Others' great new characters' major focuses further episodes.

Last edited: