TALKBACK - Steven Universe - Episodes 147-152 *HEART OF THE CRYSTAL GEMS* [7/2-7/6]

Latest News & Videos

CNFan1995

Cartoon Network, Adult Swim and Toonami Fan.
Apr 12, 2016
Ratings
695 13

Episodes 147-152

Now We're Only Falling Apart
Premieres
MONDAY 7/2 at 7:30 P.M.

This week...
Pearl tells a story.
----

What's your Problem?
Premieres
TUESDAY 7/3 at 7:30 P.M.

This week...
Amethyst convinces Steven to take a day off for himself.
----

The Question
Premieres
WEDNESDAY 7/4 at 7:30 PM

This week...

Ruby goes on an adventure.
----

Made of Honor
Premieres
THURSDAY 7/5 at 7:30 PM

This week...

Steven has a big surprise for the Crystal Gems.
----

Reunited
Premieres
FRIDAY 7/6 at 7:30 PM

This week...

Steven brings everyone together for a special reunion.

Last edited:

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
Ratings
607 6
New York
Now We're Only Falling Apart

So off to a good start. A lot of people were mad at Pink Diamond from last episode, calling her selfish and a coward, so some of those issues are addressed.

Yes she is still kind of selfish and the show admits that, and she tried to use her authority to change things, it didn't work, so plan b was to sue the Rose Quartz alias.

So Pink Diamond was the first boss to be on one of those boss undercover shows, I don't know man, she is still the spoiled brat when she demanded her colony, the Pink Diamond I think has grown past that.

And nice to see what an influence Pearl, and Garnet was to this.

Now than what is going on with Ruby and Sapphire, perhaps Ruby also needed some time for her thoughts. I guess we will see in the next episode.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,800 29
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
So that’s what it’s like to see Gems pop emerge from ground.

Did Pearl say she knew PD thousands of years before hand? Geez, how long have these being been around?

So Blue and Yellow established the human zoo for PD. It wasn’t really her idea.

Ya know, I’m kind of disappointed that we didn’t get to see other Rose Quartzes. The episode also moved at a really fast pace. I hope this won’t be the norm for the rest of the episodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhaynebow

Aug 11, 2013
Ratings
409 1
New York
Aaaaand we kick off the finale tour and I’m....already bitter. I hoped the show wouldn’t do it, that they’d be smart, but they did it anyway and went the “Rose did nothing wrong” route. Human zoo? Psh, that was Yellow and Blue’s doing, praise be to Rose. This was more bias than Garnet’s story to the Off-Colors, but the flip side is that Pearl’s story is most likely what really happened.

Having no real villain is a noble approach for this show, but it’s really pulling out the teeth it could have when the bad things that the characters do are constantly being excused. Rose had a human zoo, but it wasn’t HER idea, Lapis stole Peridot’s home and was a genuine jerk, but she’s just TRAUMATIZED, and I wouldn’t be shocked if the Diamonds attacking will be handwaved as them grieving for the false-shattering of their baby sister.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,796 47
Sherman Oaks CA
It figures that such a momentous revelation about Rose and the history of the Crystal Gems would be enough to break Garnet in-two, especially under the idea that their whole reason for being and everything they thought they knew may have been a lie :ack:.

Pearl not only recounted the main backstory of the series but also, more or less, told the love story between her and Rose. Not only do we see Pearl show Rose the beauty of the Earth in an attempt to make her happy, but we also see Rose instilling in Pearl a sense of self-worth and individuality that would go on to make her who she is :anime:.

When the revelation of Rose being Pink Diamond first kicked off, a part of me began to second-guess Pearl's relationship with her since now it seemed like her love and dedication to Rose stemmed from her role as the Pearl to her Diamond, but here it it appears to have developed far more naturally :D.

It seems in-character for what we know about Rose up to this point that she would get caught up in a flight of fancy that would eventually turn into something far more meaningful then she intended it to be. I mean, there's still I guess a bit of something disingenuous, in what she was doing, though it wasn't some half-hearted rebellion on her part, but they eventually developed into something with pure motives :).

Seeing Pearl try to fuse with Rose was cute. Although now that we know Rose has been a Diamond all along, I wonder if a fusion with a Diamond is naturally stronger then any other Gem Fusion? I wouldn't be surprised if the Crystal Gem's strongest fusion was the core group and Rose fused together, which begs the question of what might happen if they all fused with Steven. Smoky Quartz and Stevonnie are pretty tough after all :cool:.

The mystery of White Diamond continues. We see Pearl recount how Pink pleaded with the other Diamonds to not colonize Earth, but White Diamond never once came up. There has got to be something going on that explains why she has a presence in Gem culture, and was shown in the flashback of the Diamonds attacking Earth, but seemingly no one ever mentions her. Is she so far above the other Diamonds that they can't even talk about her? Is she so unlike the other Diamonds that you just don't deal with her like you do them o_O?

Oh dang, Rose left Sapphire a "Dear John" letter :eek:.

Radical Edward

Cartoon shill
Feb 3, 2018
Ratings
1,285 6
Indonesia
Aaaaand we kick off the finale tour and I’m....already bitter. I hoped the show wouldn’t do it, that they’d be smart, but they did it anyway and went the “Rose did nothing wrong” route. Human zoo? Psh, that was Yellow and Blue’s doing, praise be to Rose. This was more bias than Garnet’s story to the Off-Colors, but the flip side is that Pearl’s story is most likely what really happened.

Having no real villain is a noble approach for this show, but it’s really pulling out the teeth it could have when the bad things that the characters do are constantly being excused. Rose had a human zoo, but it wasn’t HER idea, Lapis stole Peridot’s home and was a genuine jerk, but she’s just TRAUMATIZED, and I wouldn’t be shocked if the Diamonds attacking will be handwaved as them grieving for the false-shattering of their baby sister.

I'm not so much upset with the zoo reveal as I am with the timing. I don't mind that being the case but having this much info revealed right after placing Rose in such a moral gray area removes much of the mystery that could be an interesting recurring plot thread throughout the show's run.

Rhaynebow

Aug 11, 2013
Ratings
409 1
New York
I'm not so much upset with the zoo reveal as I am with the timing. I don't mind that being the case but having this much info revealed right after placing Rose in such a moral gray area removes much of the mystery that could be an interesting recurring plot thread throughout the show's run.
That seems to be a big downside to the bomb format. Two months have gone by for us, but it was probably two minutes for the characters. The Crewniverse at this point knows that to please the fans, the beginning of a bomb needs little recap and needs to answer burning questions left months ago. No time for Steven to ponder, YouTube is oversaturated with theories, let’s debunk’em pronto. Doesn’t make the show very binge worthy, but absolutely ensures butts in chairs when it returns.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
Ratings
1,358 6
In A House
This episode played out differently than I expected. I was guessing that Pearl was going to tell her story and then Sapphire was going to storm off. I’m still kind of bummed that Amethyst and Ruby didn’t get to her the story. I know this show isn’t supposed to have villains, but I think Pink Diamond is shaping up to be one.

Also minor nitpick, but in the episode where Peridot called Yellow Diamond a clod (don’t remember the title and I’m too lazy to look it up), Pearl didn’t know who Yellow Pearl was. Yet in this episode she was seen with her and presumably been around her for thousands of years.

ShadowBlinky

The Evil One
May 17, 2009
Ratings
457 3
Duckburg
www.youtube.com
Also minor nitpick, but in the episode where Peridot called Yellow Diamond a clod (don’t remember the title and I’m too lazy to look it up), Pearl didn’t know who Yellow Pearl was. Yet in this episode she was seen with her and presumably been around her for thousands of years.
It was "Message Received", and Pearl just said, "Not all Pearls know each other, Steven".

Perla Magica

Freeform? What's THAT?!
Jul 29, 2016
Ratings
104 2
Poland (Europe)
This episode was enjoyable, yet gave some answers we waited for; like Pink shapeshifting into different gem was Pearl's idea. It's pretty neat how Pink was still foolish and maybe a little selfish as we know from Jungle Moon episode (even Pearl admits that).

As Pearl told the TRUE backstory and Sapphire calmed down, Ruby ran away. Will they find her? Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode. ;)

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
Ratings
607 6
New York
What's Your Problem?

Wow this was a great episode. I mean Steven and Amethyst talk this out. Amethyst might be the only one who is thinking about Steven and the mess Rose left him with was unfair.

This episode was not one character has a problem and the other helps them out, they helped each other out, even when Steven went all therapist on Amethyst and tried to make it about her, she got back to being about him.

Amethyst might be the most mature member of the Crystal Gems, I don't know about that, but she has the most together of the Crystal Gem.

And on a minor note, Pearl is a shipper just like anybody else.

Rhaynebow

Aug 11, 2013
Ratings
409 1
New York
Yeah, this was a great episode and I’m glad that the two gems who have known Rose the least are rightfully cheesed that they’re burdened by her actions. Especially Steven who has long since realized that his Mom made mistakes and it’s not fair that he’s been hunted down, put on trial and had his home threatened because of her, only to find out that the very reason for all of this trouble was in retaliation for a crime that was never actually committed.

Tomorrow’s episode looks like will deal with how Ruby and Greg are taking the news. I’m curious because while Greg and Rose had a cute relationship that actually showed conflicts, I’ve been having a hard time believing that it took Rose meeting Greg, her LAST love to realize that humans aren’t pets.

Radical Edward

Cartoon shill
Feb 3, 2018
Ratings
1,285 6
Indonesia
Finally we get to see how Steven and Amethyst process the revelation, something that the previous episode failed to do. Amethyst has really been maturing by putting her feelings aside to help comfort Steven, which ironically is what Steven usually does to others. These two are definitely the most mature crystal gems. But one question still remains:

WHY WOULD RUBY BE A COWBOY?!?!

CNReactionGuy18

Don't spoil it! Or I spoil my juice.
Jun 23, 2018
Ratings
91 2
United States
Finally we get to see how Steven and Amethyst process the revelation, something that the previous episode failed to do. Amethyst has really been maturing by putting her feelings aside to help comfort Steven, which ironically is what Steven usually does to others. These two are definitely the most mature crystal gems. But one question still remains:

WHY WOULD RUBY BE A COWBOY?!?!
Actually that's true because back when CN leaked SU there was one leak where Ruby was wearing her cowboy hat in the middle of nowhere.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
Ratings
1,358 6
In A House
This is another episode that played out completely different than I imagined. I was thinking they were going to find Ruby on some dude ranch and they were going to ask her what her problem was.

Also I LOL’d when Amethyst became tiny.

Perla Magica

Freeform? What's THAT?!
Jul 29, 2016
Ratings
104 2
Poland (Europe)
It's cool to see some Amethyst's character
development, also her and Steven's bonding in this episode is fun to watch.

The scene where Pearl and Sapphire are crying and Amethyst's like "Ok, this is awkward." reminds me of an episode of My Little Pony where Fluttershy tried to cheer up Rainbow Dash who cries about her turtle pet going on hibernation, eventually both start to cry, Pinkie Pie and Rarity joined them too, Applejack cries outside, while Twilight is the only sane pony in this scene.

But hey, looks like Ruby is found at the near end of the episode.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
Ratings
1,358 6
In A House
My theory for tonight’s episode (The Question): Steven and Amethyst ask Ruby where she has been. Then they go home and Ruby and Sapphire make up and one of them pops the question.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

At first, I thought Brian Hohlfeld working on many shows Nicole Dubuc worked on was just a coincidence . It turns out they're married. I previously thought the Paul Dini / Misty Lee marriage had the largest age gap (he was born in 1957 while she was born in 1976), but this is the one that's larger (he was born in 1957 while she was born in 1978, making 21 years). I'm not complaining, but this is surprising.
Into the Spider-Verse is definitely one of the better animated films I've seen this year. I really enjoyed its comicbooky art style and animation. I wouldn't mind a sequel.