Talkback: Pokemon the Series: SM: Ultra Adventures: "Guiding an Awakening!" [11/3]

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World

Join Ash and Pikachu as they make new friend and explore the Alola region.

Recently:
Kiawe and Marowak are able to use Inferno Overdrive together.
Team Rocket gets a Z-Ring from Nanu in order to use their Dark Z-Crystal.
Jessie gets a Mimikyu Z-Crystal.
Ash heads towards his next set of Trials for the Island Challenge.
Ash meets Acerola and Nanu.
Ash challenges Nanu to a Grand Trial, but Nanu refuses.
Ash loses to Nanu in a practice Grand Trial and decides to remain on Ula'ula Island to do some training.
Ash goes to train with Tapu Bulu for his upcoming rematch against Nanu.
Rowlet learns Razor Leaf and Lycanroc learns Stone Edge.
Team Rocket masters the Z-Move Let's Snuggle Forever.
Pikachu learns Electro Web.
Ash passes his Trial and earns the right for the Grand Trial against Nanu.

Last Time:
"A Battle Hand-Off!"

Fresh from his training with Tapu Bulu, Ash is ready for a rematch against Nanu, the kahuna of Ula’ula Island. Before the grand trial, however, Nanu has another pre-trial test for Ash. Our hero is tasked with winning a Pokémon battle against Team Rocket! Unfortunately for Ash, Jessie and Mimikyu have mastered Mimikyu’s Z-Move, and Mimikyu is determined to show Pikachu its full power. Will Ash be able to win and earn the right to challenge Nanu again?

This Time:
Guiding an Awakening!"
Saturday November 3rd, 9:00AM

With his pre-trial successfully behind him, Ash is finally ready to take the Ula’ula Island grand trial against Kahuna Nanu. Our hero is taken aback when Nanu reveals the terms of the challenge, though. Ash must defeat three of Nanu’s Pokémon with only one of his own! Ash decides that Lycanroc is up to the task, but the temperamental Pokémon might have trouble keeping its anger under control, especially when Nanu unleashes a barrage of taunts questioning Ash and Lycanroc’s teamwork. Will Ash be able to defeat Nanu and pass the Grand Trial?​

Notes:
The 21st season of Pokemon is here to keep promoting the seventh generation.
Disney XD is the new home for the Pokemon anime series.
New episodes premiere on Saturday mornings again.
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee will be available for the Switch on November 16th
A new Mystical Pokemon named Meltan and its evolved form Melmetal have been revealed.
There is a main series Pokemon game in development for the Switch system.
The episodes are available on both Disney XD's website and On Demand section.
Please avoid using detailed spoilers here. Thank you.

LinusFan303

A Fan of Linus Van Pelt.
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
1,032 5
Colorado
Kind of interesting episode , Naru was good at getting in Ash's head there and really know what makes Lyconroc tick. The trail was really good one had some good twists and wasn't too easy for Ash. Guess we are back to our normal setting next time.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
I thought that this episode was pretty good. Acerola finally called Nanu her uncle, so I guess they are related in the anime. They just didn't seem to mention it earlier in this arc. I have mixed feelings on Ash having to use Lycanroc for all three matches. It makes sense that Nanu would want to have a challenge to potentially drive off trainers so he doesn't have to battle, it would give Lycanroc a chance to really shine after its defeat during their first match and it is something different than a regular battle. So far, all of the Grand Trials have been different from each other, so they may have wanted to keep that tradition going. Plus, they wanted to showcase more of Lycanroc's newfound power.

However, I wish that Ash's other Pokemon could have battled too. Rowlet learned a new move, admittedly in a quick way that didn't involve actual training, but it would have been nice to see it use Razor Leaf in battle, especially when Rowlet hasn't really done much of anything for awhile. Torracat would have been a good choice too, but since it evolved not that long ago, I don't mind that it isn't included in the match.

The first battle was pretty good. Krookodile being able to knock away Lycanroc's Stone Edge was pretty cool. While Ash was worried about Counter, it made sense to try to avoid direct contact. Nanu just got him to change his strategy. I think that Lycanroc won the match a bit too easily though. Rock type moves wouldn't have that much effect against Krookodile and it didn't seem to take much, if any, damage from those first few Stone Edge attacks. It wasn't a bad win and being fast enough to avoid Counter has happened before, but if they didn't have to make Lycanro win three battles in a row, they might have been able to make that rematch more enjoyable.

The battle against Sableye was better. Nanu had a good combination with Shadow Sneak and Shadow Claw. Using Mean Look to freeze Lycanroc in place would have been neat if that was how the move works. It just means that Ash can't replace Lycanroc until the match was over. It shouldn't have prevented it from moving at all. Nanu was pretty shocked over Lycanroc using Stone Edge. I honestly was expecting Ash to use Stone Edge against Krookodile, but I guess that they wanted to throw Nanu off thinking that he knew all of Lycanroc's moves. Tapu Bulu giving Lycanroc a Berry was a good way to get around the requirements for the battle.

The battle against Persian was pretty solid. Nanu was trying to get under Ash's skin throughout the match, but it really got more intense here. Going as far as saying that Ash was a bad trainer and a poor matchup for Lycanroc was pretty harsh. Obviously, he didn't mean it and was trying to help Ash understand Lycanroc, but stating that Lycanroc would be better off without him was still going pretty far to help Ash learn. I couldn't blame Ash for thinking that Lycanroc's anger was still overpowering it. Lycanroc's anger has been intense and he was still panicking over Lycanroc going out of control earlier in the match. Lycanroc hitting Ash like that was a surprise, but it was one way to get Ash's attention and let him know that Lycanroc was still in control. Ash was so worried about Lycanroc losing control that he didn't realize that it already had control over this power. It was sweet that they were able to reconnect in the middle of the battle.

It was pretty cool to see Lycanroc learn Counter right in the middle of the battle. I thought that would have defeated Nanu's Alolan Persian right then and there, but it had enough power to use a Z-Move. Ash using his own Z-Move to counter Nanu's was pretty cool and a creative way to avoid major damage from both sides. Persian was weak enough to where one Accelerock was enough for Ash to win the battle. Ash winning one Grand Trail with one Pokemon is pretty impressive. He looked happy at the thought of getting the Dark type Z-Crystal, although only Lycanroc would be able to use it, but giving Ash the special Lycanroc Z-Crystal was more fitting. It's another way for them to promote US/UM, it fits with how the main focus of this arc was for Lycanroc to have better control of its power and they usually just give Ash Z-Crystals based on what type of Pokemon he has one him anyway.

It was nice that Acerola and Nanu said goodbye to Ash. It would be nice to see Nanu again since his rough methods really did allow for Ash to grow alongside Lycanroc. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Acerola again at some point too. It was kind of sad and funny how Rowlet was still asleep even when Ash was telling his team how he wanted everyone to get stronger together. Overall, it was a pretty good episode. The battles were mostly pretty good. This is probably the best part about the Island Challenge thus far, but I feel like part of that is due to how the format is so similar to how Gyms work. Nanu himself came off more like a Gym Leader than an Island Kahuna if that makes any sense. I do think it was a good idea for Ash to go to a different island on his own for a few episodes. It was refreshing and helped to keep the focus primarily on his training/Island Challenge than if they also needed to devote a few scenes to the classmates.