• KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Okay, but aside from the logo, perhaps the real news is all of the properties they are gearing up in preparation of the channel's 25th anniversary?

http://screenrant.com/syfy-reboot-25th-anniversary-new-logo/

From that article:

Syfy has been getting praise from its core fanbase for shows like The Expanse, The Magicians, 12 Monkeys, and Channel Zero which have all been picked up for new seasons. Joining them will be the previously announced Superman prequel Krypton along with the just announced adaptations of the graphic novel Happy! and the novel adaptation Nightflyers by Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire creator George R.R. Martin.

Syfy has also been developing some incredibly ambitious projects such Brave New World, Hyperion, and Stranger in a Strange Land. Some of those novels have become iconic classics with Brave New World generally being compared (and contrasted to) George Orwell’s seminal work 1984. Robert A. Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land was the first book to enter The New York Times Book Review’s best-seller list.

Everyone remembers the disastrous 2009 logo change, along with the focus on reality TV, bad movies like "Sharknado", and less focus on outer space (like Stargate and Battlestar Galactica) and instead focusing on more "procedural" type shows (like Warehouse 13, Haven and Eureka).

This could be the start of a new GOOD era for the channel.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Not that I watch much SyFy channel anyway, but bleh. It looks like font for an old arcade machine. I'm particularly not fond of the shape of the S.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Okay, but aside from the logo, perhaps the real news is all of the properties they are gearing up in preparation of the channel's 25th anniversary?

http://screenrant.com/syfy-reboot-25th-anniversary-new-logo/

From that article:

Everyone remembers the disastrous 2009 logo change, along with the focus on reality TV, bad movies like "Sharknado", and less focus on outer space (like Stargate and Battlestar Galactica) and instead focusing on more "procedural" type shows (like Warehouse 13, Haven and Eureka).

This could be the start of a new GOOD era for the channel.
Honestly, I've gotten used to the current logo but the Pac-Man styled logo isn't what Syfy needs to revamp their image.

And TBH, Warehouse 13, Haven and Eureka weren't really bad shows and still had science fiction elements.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Oh yay, another logo change that ditches the creativity of its previous incarnations and just goes with generic text.

Hey, remember when logos used to not be just letters? Remember when there used to be other things that went along with it? Whatever happened to those?

What happened to Comedy Central's broadcast tower? What happened to the old Sci-Fi's Saturn rings? Remember when AOL's logo wasn't just three letters and a period? I'm so sick of corporations getting rid of their unique logos and replacing them with generic text.

As for this new Syfy logo: It's fine, but I just wish there would be more variety instead of jumping on this overly simplistic logo trend.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
What happened to Comedy Central's broadcast tower? What happened to the old Sci-Fi's Saturn rings? Remember when AOL's logo wasn't just three letters and a period? I'm so sick of corporations getting rid of their unique logos and replacing them with generic text.

What happened to Nickelodeon's splat logo? Remember when Pepsi changed its logo to a smile? Or remember when MTV cropped their logo to remove the Music Television byline, given the fact that they're more of an entertainment channel than a music channel now?

RandomMe

Walrus Toy Store owner
The new logo doesn't feel vaguely Syfy or sci-fi, it looks like an urban youth channel that was available to a limited amount of people around 2009.
Yeah, me too, it seems that the latest trend for logos is not to use symbols and let the wordmarks be the symbols.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
And TBH, Warehouse 13, Haven and Eureka weren't really bad shows and still had science fiction elements.

It was a sharp decline from the days of Battlestar Galactic, Farscape, and Stargate (and Stargate: Atlantis), in the early to mid 00's. They went from "We have to save the galaxy!" to "Something goofy is happening in this town, we need to investigate."

It's also a long way from the 90's, when the focus was on marathons for classic movies like Godzilla, Star Wars, "Planet of the Apes", and the original Star Trek series, along with anime film festivals.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
It was a sharp decline from the days of Battlestar Galactic, Farscape, and Stargate (and Stargate: Atlantis), in the early to mid 00's. They went from "We have to save the galaxy!" to "Something goofy is happening in this town, we need to investigate."

It's also a long way from the 90's, when the focus was on marathons for classic movies like Godzilla, Star Wars, "Planet of the Apes", and the original Star Trek series, along with anime film festivals.
Even though Eureka and Warehouse 13 were silly from time to time, they're far from being responsible for Syfy's channel drift or as others say "network decay".

However, they did an alien-based sci-fi series during this decade, which was the short-lived Defiance.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Even though Eureka and Warehouse 13 were silly from time to time, they're far from being responsible for Syfy's channel drift or as others say "network decay".

However, they did an alien-based sci-fi series during this decade, which was the short-lived Defiance.

True, I wouldn't say they were the cause of the network decay...but they were a symptom. A sign of the era.

"Defiance" was the start of Syfy trying to return to it's roots in 2013. Defiance, along with Dominion, Helix, Z Nation, and Bitten were part of the transition era, and now I think the network is on the right track.

It wasn't till 2015 that the trend truly started getting better, and now we have shows like Dark Matter, The Expanse, Killjoys, 12 Monkeys, and the Magicians.

Last edited:

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
I've been following the channel since that "saturn" logo. It had its ups and downs. Hopefully the days of dumb content like Sharknado are gone. These graphics remind me of something I can't put my finger on. Let's wait and see what comes out of it.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Hopefully this change means they'll finally get rid of The Twilight Zone. That show was on Syfy for as long as I can remember, it's time for another channel to get the rights to it.

hobbyfan

The current logo, being phased out for something akin to video game graphics, is fine the way it is. You know what they say. If it ain't broken, you don't fix it.

DeanBurrito25

As someone who studied graphic design in college, I think good or decent logos can come out of typography. It's all about execution in promotional materials such as bumpers, advertisements, websites, etcetera. That's where it matters.

Now I don't even watch this channel - and I still don't understand the name change to this day - but here at least the typeface is more distinct than the 2009 logo, which was far too casual and basic looking for a channel that airs science fiction content. The new one gives me a "Space Invaders" vibe, really.

Am I really supposed to believe for all the flack the 2009 logo received that the new one is that much worse in comparison?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts