Superman "The Death of Superman" Classic Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate "The Death of Superman"

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Discuss one of the biggest stories in history of comics!

SUPERMAN: THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN

Written by: Various
Art by: Various

The story that drew national media attention when DC Comics killed their greatest hero is collected here. When a hulking monster emerges from an underground resting place and begins a mindless rampage, the Justice League is quickly called in to stop the colossal force of nature. But it soon becomes apparent that only Superman can stand against the monstrosity that has been nicknamed Doomsday. Battling their way throughout America, the two fight to a standstill as they reach the heart of Metropolis. Going punch for punch, Superman finally ends the threat of Doomsday as he throws one last punch and collapses forever.

Comments?

oranthal

Superman: A hero in life and in death
May 5, 2001
i was re-reading a couple days ago and the part where the justice league was fighting doomsday, bloodwynd punched doomsday and didn't hurt him. doomsday then retaliated. blue beetle saw this and then understood who bloodwynd really is. he was about say but then he was attacked by doomsday.

this is my question: who is bloodwynd? what was it about him that had a shroud of mystery about him?

Marc

Friend from another star?
Jun 26, 2002
Massachusetts
www.marc-thibodeau.com
I thought that it was revealed that Bloodwynd was in fact
the Martian Manhunter.
I was losing interest in comics around that time so I can't be certain.
Anyone else confirm this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reed Richards

Mr. Fantastic
May 30, 2002
Four Freedoms Plaza
Visit site
Bloodwynd was an african-american guy who was real mysterious with a seemingly unending variety of powers

it was later revealed that he wasnt really himself but instead someone else

frankly i thought he was a cool character and his fate left something to be desired

oranthal

Superman: A hero in life and in death
May 5, 2001
Originally posted by Barry Allen
Yes, Bloodwynd was, in fact, the Martian Manhunter.
was there any hint that he as that or did the writers just tack that on there.

Webryder

Cyclops aint got nothin' on me
Mar 20, 2002
Fortress of Solitude
Visit site
I'd like to know what'd people think, when they look back on probably one of the most memorable events in comics history.

Did you like the direction the writers took with it?

Was it to you only a transparent ploy to sell more comics or was a story worth getting told?

For me at least, I'm kinda biased because that storyline was a major turning point for me in getting serious into comics. When I heard they were going to kill 'The Man' himself, I knew I had to get in on it there. Couldn't miss anything. They say no other reading in your life affects you as much as when your young and it was in reading those stories that got me hooked as a Superman fan for life. ;) :D

What also made a difference was at the time I never saw anything like the attention that this story got when it was going on. It was like this thing was a phenomenon of media and fan outcry over the death of a fictional character that was amazing! :eek:

But anyway, what I wanna know is your thoughts on the actual story and if you think it deserved all that attention.

Discuss everything from the merits of the Doomsday character as a villain, right on thru to Supermans eventual resurrection. If there's any gripes that've always bugged you or stuff you think was great and want to put a spotlight on.......here's you chance.

So as fast as a locomotive.....post away!! :)

LadyM

Aug 25, 2003
Kooey Kooey Kooey
www.superpony.com
Well, I wasn't into comics at the time, but some of my friends were, so I heard them talking about it. My one friend was really broken up about it. I didn't see what the big deal was . . . I mean, it's not like they were going to keep him dead, right?

Anyway, a few years back I started getting interested in and collecting comics in earnest. I still only had a vague idea who Doomsday was, though, since no one was currently talking about the "death of Superman" since it had happened years ago. I've never really been interested in Superman anyway.

But I was really enjoying the old Justice League International backissues, and those do catch up with Doomsday around issue #70. (I think #69 might be where they fight Doomsday, and then #70 is Superman's funeral, maybe.) Anyway, my reaction to those books:

"Hey, who's that guy with the spines on his hands--OH MY GOD, HE'S THRASHING BLUE BEETLE!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! (Oh look, Superman's dead. Man, WHY are they drawing Booster Gold so badly all of sudden?) NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Everyone has different priorities, huh? ^_~ I couldn't have cared less about Superman, but I was really upset that Doomsday put Beetle in a coma . . . ^_^''

~LM~

Webryder

Mar 20, 2002
Fortress of Solitude
Visit site
Originally posted by LM1313
"Hey, who's that guy with the spines on his hands--OH MY GOD, HE'S THRASHING BLUE BEETLE!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! (Oh look, Superman's dead. Man, WHY are they drawing Booster Gold so badly all of sudden?) NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Everyone has different priorities, huh? ^_~ I couldn't have cared less about Superman, but I was really upset that Doomsday put Beetle in a coma . . . ^_^''

~LM~
lol, Are you serious? Did nothin' for you huh? :D

It was almost the exact opposite for me because at the beginning I was like, "who are these lames and what'd they do with the real Justice League?"

The members that were present that day (except maybe Gold and Gardner) really didn't seem to matter in the story except for getting the monster angrier by burning more holes in his nice clean rubber suit. They weren't anybody I'd heard about and at the time I considered them no more than just stand-ins for the main guys. Booster Gold at least got some good shots in at Doomsday before he got his head smashed sideways in a car door which was nice.

I remember thinking Batman and Robin could've put up a more decent fight then these guys. Maybe even just Robin. :rolleyes:

Stardust

Is it Friday yet?
Oct 14, 2001
everywhere
I liked the story of how he died. I didn't like all those dumb resurrections and posers, and THEN the real dude decides to show up after all that. Bah.

But it got me into the comics a little better, trying to get to know all those characters like Bloodwynd (whoever he is), Blue Beetle, and others. The epilogue was nice, Superman going to Gotham, but who was that Batman? Was it Jean Paul?

I also like Supergirl, so seeing her help Superman out made a big impression on me. But at that time I didn't know that she was the Matrix.

Webryder

Mar 20, 2002
Fortress of Solitude
Visit site
Originally posted by Stardust
I liked the story of how he died. I didn't like all those dumb resurrections and posers, and THEN the real dude decides to show up after all that. Bah.

I on the other hand, actually enjoyed two of the characters that came out of the 'reign' arc (the very cool Superboy/man and Cyborg, who turned out to be one of the comics Supermans very good and menacing reoccuring villains)

But it got me into the comics a little better, trying to get to know all those characters like Bloodwynd (whoever he is), Blue Beetle, and others. The epilogue was nice, Superman going to Gotham, but who was that Batman? Was it Jean Paul?

If you look at the clues the story gave about him being vulnerable to fire with powers similar to Supes, and Beetle getting a glimpse and recognizing him as someone very familiar, when I put 2 and 2 together I figured him to be Jonn Jonzz/Martian Manhunter in disguise, but I never really found out for sure if I was right or his motivation for even doing it in the first place so.... :confused:

I also like Supergirl, so seeing her help Superman out made a big impression on me. But at that time I didn't know that she was the Matrix.

Yea, I agree they did a great job on taking time in the issues immediately following the Doomsday battle to really make you feel how much Superman's loss affected Metropolis and how it wasn't going to be easy for Supergirl/Matrix to just jump in and pick up the slack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good Ol' Batmanuel!

Dressing for success?
Nov 27, 2001
Ontario, Canada, Earth
I hadn't read it when the series was originally released, but a few years after the whole storyline was told and the blue Superman was gone, I found out that a friend of mine had the entire storyline in TPB form. I read the whole thing and thoroughly enjoyed it! This went way beyond a marketing ploy and was one of the best series of comics I've read! DC did a great job with the whole thing. :D

Don Markstein

Oct 31, 2002
Earth
www.toonopedia.com
Seven issues of two guys hitting each other over and over until they're both dead, accompanied by hysterical histrionics on the part of everyone nearby.

I wonder how many kids were forbidden to read comics, because their parents saw it.

And in the end, Superman didn't even stay dead.

Quack, Don

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Sep 6, 2001
Princeton Jct, NJ
www.edwick.com
Howdy,

I hated the original storyline. As I've said elsewhere, Doomsday's real super power is the ability to suck out the intelligence of everybody around him, and make them think that the only way to beat him is to HIT him REALLY HARD. I thought most of the "Big Epic Fight" issues were pure, concentrated idiocy in newsprint.

I also think the writers were a bit dismayed that the whole thing turned into the media circus it did -- their original idea supposedly came from a story meeting where they were talking about new things to do with Superman, and someone jokingly suggested, "Hey, how about we kill him?" Big laugh, but then they actually started thinking about what that would really mean. I really don't think they intended it to be as big a deal as it turned out to be.

I thought the "Funeral for a Friend" issues after the death had the most potential to be interesting. Maybe I was just happy the dialogue was actually attempting to be thoughtful instead of more "HAVE to HIT Doomsday AGAIN! HARDER than I've HIT ANYBODY BEFORE!!!" by the punching bag of the minute.

Then they went back to the worst of comic book idiocy with the four different Supermen and the resurrection. At least we got Steel out of that.

The worst part of all of that was that we, the consumers, rewarded the bad behavior, which resulted in more of the same. Batman got his back broken by Bane, Aquaman lost his hand, I think Wonder Woman got her butt kicked by Artemis, and NONE of it had any lasting impact other than the occasional self-referential gag.

-- Ed/Ace

Anthonynotes

May 1, 2001
Barely into superhero comics at the time of the original storyline, but even then, I figured it was just some stupid sales stunt, and that he'd be back in no time.... :)

After finally reading the "Death of Superman" TPB, thought it was pretty dumb... seemed like it was just "hit each other until Doomsy stopped moving" as Supes' plan for stopping it, even if it wasn't really working (vs. some sort of trap/trick/clever plan/finding some other superheroic help to take him down). That, and the only other superheroes to show up for assistance

Still, we did get out of it Steel/the current Superboy...though we also got out of it the Cyborg (destined to return whenever they need a really pointless fight scene with Supes/the whole Hal Jordan-Parallax thing)...

Never liked Doomsday...just strikes me as a one-dimensional dumb plot device. Should've left him stranded at the end of time (wonder why the Time Trapper didn't finish 'im off) and/or trapped in those JLA teleporters...

-B.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I almost wanted to dedicate a thread to this guy and make up some thoughts on the current state of things...
But this guy just comes off like another whiner / obvious weeb.

What do you think??? Is this no better than that 3 hour long Rant I dug up on Steven Universe also making unfair jabs at cartoons in general? I think he is.
I'm now going to read some old toonzone forums posts here to see what people thought about cartoons back then online. I will start with Disney forum. Is anybody interested about this site's dark past?
An Ariana Grande song covered by Charlotte, Coop & Cami for Cami's 13th birthday.
Happy 5th Anniversary to Harvey Beaks!
One of the coziest shows ever.
Happy birthday to Meagan Smith and Paul Eiding. It's quite the coincidence that the original voice artists of (Kid) Gwen Tennyson and Max Tennyson share the same birthday.