"Superman: The Complete Animated Series" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment On This Collection!

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The entire Superman: The Animated Series in one collection!

Superman: The Complete Animated Series
Studio: Warner Bros. Home Entertainment
Release Date: November 24th, 2009

Synopsis: The creative team behind the Emmy Award-winning "Batman: The Animated Series" chronicles the adventures of Superman, the legendary superhero, as he battles the forces of villainy and continues his quest for "truth, justice and the American way. This set features all the bonus material and episodes from the previous Superman: The Animated Series DVD volume collections included with new extras!

Bonus Features (exclusive to this release):
-All-New Retrospective "The Despot Darkseid: A Villain Worthy of Superman"
-Trailers
-Original content from previous Superman: The Animated Series releases

This thread is for actual discussion of this DVD release only. Please check out the The DC Animation Forum Talkback Collection Thread to access talkbacks for every episode of Superman: The Animated Series.

Discuss This DVD!

Related Discussion:
-Superman: The Complete Animated Series DVD Review (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Animated Series - Volume Three DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Animated Series - Volume Two DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Animated Series - Volume One DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: The Complete Animated Series DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League: The Complete Series DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion. Please keep your posts the thoughtful, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material. We will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. Please keep discussion ON-TOPIC!

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
Toon Zone has a new review for this release - "Superman" Is Strong, But "The Complete Series" Is Very Very Weak.

splash-stascomplete.jpg

Chad Bonin reviews the "new" set for Toon Zone News.

Mod Note: Remember to check out the The WF DVD Report review of Superman: The Complete Animated Series here!

Maxie Zeus

Upside Down
(Curses! My first try at merging the TZN Talkback option with the DCAU's Talkback thread went awry! But I'll show them! I'll show them all!! [thunder and lightning])

On-topic, because I need an excuse to explain the duplication of a "Hey, look at TZN's review!" post: Chad said it's a good series with good episodes. It's this "Complete Animated Series" set that seems unnecessary.

Trevor

I pciked up the Volume 1 release years ago...then I never bothered to pick up the rest even though I have picked up all the other Superman cartoons on DVD that have been produced and released. (There hasn't been a Sueprman cartoon series since this one...has there?)

I'll probably pick this up in the new year.

CyberCubed

I find the review to be very insulting. Superman was a great series and did not "pale in comparison" to the other DC shows.

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
There hasn't been a Sueprman cartoon series since this one...has there?
Not unless you count LOSH.

can anyone atest to the video quality of these DVD's? Any better than the previous STAS DVD releases?
As Chad said in his review, it's the exact same discs as the previous release. They literally took the old discs and just repackaged them with a new bonus disc. Nothing at all was changed between releases on the discs themselves, not even the disc art.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I thought Superman: TAS was a solid, well done show. It never got received the hype that Batman: TAS received, but I found it very enjoyable, and I find it still holds up today.

CyberCubed

Its pretty much the only good Superman cartoon. I don't count Legion of Superheroes as a Superman show before anyone asks.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Well, the DCAU does have a handful of shows, and one of them has to be the worst. Call me a nitpicker or whatever, but it's pretty unlikely that anyone with a discerning opinion would find all of them equally good.

CyberCubed

Well, the DCAU does have a handful of shows, and one of them has to be the worst. Call me a nitpicker or whatever, but it's pretty unlikely that anyone with a discerning opinion would find all of them equally good.

Are you kidding? Excluding Static or Zeta, I think most people loved B:TAS, S:TAS, Batman Beyond and Justice League.

There are of course some crappy episodes in all the series, but they've all had far more enjoyable eps than bad ones.

GregX

Just because he's calling it the worst doesn't mean he's saying it's bad. He's saying it's GOOD. It's just the weakest of the Timm/Burnett DCAU shows.

It's like calling "Titus Andronicus" Shakespeare's worst play... it's still a masterpiece.

Wow, repackaged discs? Trash. Seriously, Warner can't even properly put these discs together with chapter breaks, so I don't know how anyone can stand it.

...Isn't the last episode the [strike]only excellent episode for this series, anyhow[/strike] awesome? Discounting the crossover episodes, like WF and Knight Time, of course. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Are you kidding? Excluding Static or Zeta, I think most people loved B:TAS, S:TAS, Batman Beyond and Justice League.

There are of course some crappy episodes in all the series, but they've all had far more enjoyable eps than bad ones.

How am I kidding? Nothing in life is universally loved. Superman is among my favorite fictional characters, and easily my favorite DC and comics character, but I still think the Batman series and the Justice League shows were better.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Just because he's calling it the worst doesn't mean he's saying it's bad. He's saying it's GOOD. It's just the weakest of the Timm/Burnett DCAU shows.

It's like calling "Titus Andronicus" Shakespeare's worst play... it's still a masterpiece.

That's true. The last passage in the review is:

Batman: The Animated Series was more high brow. Batman Beyondwas more creative. Justice Leaguewas more fun. Superman: The Animated Series was a solid show, and while it pales slightly next to its sister series, it is still better than much that is out there. was more fun.

The author's not calling S:TAS a bad show or even a mediocre show, just (in his opinion) not as good as the other DCAU shows. I like Superman MUCH more than Batman, and I enjoyed S:TAS immensely, even I have to agree that S:TAS will always come in second behind B:TAS because Batman's show came first, had more episodes and was overall more masterfully done, since it came from an avowed fan of the character.

Calling a show the palest DCAU series is like being the least of Hemingway's novels: even his bottom rung stuff is better than most of what's out there. Being called the worst Shakespeare play is infinitely better than being called the funniest Larry the Cable Guy routine.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts