"Superman: The Animated Series - Volume Two" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment "Superman: The Animated Series - Volume Two" DVD

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The second two-disc volume of the Superman: The Animated Series DVD collection has arrived.

Synopsis: Lex Luthor. Bizarro. Metallo. Karkull. The universe is filled with villains. And only the Man of Steel can keep them from overthrowing Earth in these 18 action-packed episodes from the Emmy-winning series! Filled with dynamic storylines, brilliant animation and complex characters, this collection includes the three-part crossover episode World's Finest, in which The Joker teams with Lex Luthor, forcing Batman and Superman into a reluctant partnership to defeat the crazed clown and maniacal billionaire. Fly high with this exciting two-disc set packed with all the thrilling battles that only Superman could win!

Extras Include:
-Commentary on "Brave New Metropolis" and "World's Finest Part 1" with Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Glen Murakami, James Tucker, Dan Riba and Moderator Jason Hillhouse, "Mxyzpixilated" with Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, Dan Riba and Moderator Jason Hillhouse.
-The Dark Side: Behind The Villains Of Superman: The Origin and Evolution of Superman's Adversaries [Featurette]
-Trailers

Please post all discussions, comments, etc, about the DVD here! Please discuss the episodes featured on the DVD in the proper talkbacks, links provided below:

#41. World's Finest, Part 3, #40. World's Finest, Part 2, #39. World's Finest, Part 1, #34. Heavy Metal, #32. The Late Mr. Kent, #31. Prototype, #30. Bizarro's World, #29. The Hand of Fate, #28. Father's Day, #26. Monkey Fun, #25. Brave New Metropolis, #24. Solar Power, #23. Double Dose, #21. Mxypixilated, #20. Identity Crisis, #19. Target, #16. Action Figures, #15. Ghost In The Machine

Discuss This DVD!

Related Discussion:
-"Superman: The Animated Series - Volume One" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: If you don't plan on buying these, then please refrain from posting. We appreciate and encourage discussion, but one line posts of "These are a waste of money, I'm not buying these," "it looks cool, but I can't get it till next week," etc, are unneeded. We'd like to see actual discussion and real comments from those who purchased these releases, or intend to, not insulting remarks.

adoptedBatpuppy

Confidence is the Key
It's not in the store where I go to yet! In fact, I have not seen any advertising on T.V or in Chicago Tribune(Newspaper)advertising section for this set to be out on DVD Today! :eek:

Furious Nick

Maniacal Final Boss
Same here, but I was able to find it at several retailers .....

adoptedBatpuppy said:
It's not in the store where I go to yet! In fact, I have not seen any advertising on T.V or in Chicago Tribune(Newspaper)advertising section for this set to be out on DVD Today! :eek:
I got my set at Target, but Circuit City had it too. I was not able to find it in BestBuy though. Circuit City only had a handful, and I got the second to last copy from Target. This was weird b/c Target opened at 8:00 am, and when I arrive shorlty after they're still doing their morning team meeting. So I wonder did they only ship a few copies or are they somehow in short supply? At anyrate I would look there if you can or order online.

otter

Pretty cool--didn't realize that both Superman and Batman sets might come with a animation cel. Both sets at Target had stickers advertising the animation cel inside, although the copies at Wal-Mart didn't seem to have any kind of sticker. Is it pretty random, which stores carry the copies with the cels? Hopefully the sets I ordered off Amazon will come with them.

Joker1238

I just LOVED the Superman Cell.

I loved it lol.

STAS vol 2 was imo pretty good. I like Steel lol, The JLU member was in STAS series, I never knew that.

OF couse World Fines was great, still the Joker no lips bugged me, But it was how Bats and Supes work togetor to saved the city, and the birth of JL some were down the road(OR so I think lol)

I was never a Superman fan, but was shock that LiveWire was made up by BT and CO, Good work on making a cool villian.

They had to give some villians MORE power to give Supes a challage.

And some of the plans of the Supervillians were right out of the 1960's comics lol.

(Turning the yellow sun into Red lol.)

JSmith

I absolutely loved this set! Great episodes and some informative extras make it a must have. I always thought that I was a bigger BTAS fan than STAS. This set changed my mind completely. With great episodes like World's Finest, Mxyzpixilated, Brave New Metropolis, Ghost in the Machine, Bizarro's World and The Late Mr. Kent, this really is a stellar buy. Highly recommended!

whakojacko

The Original Plastic Man
Aaa++

I bought this set and the new BTAS set a Curcuit City today (as well as ThunderCats Season 1 Vol 2) and only my Batman set came with the collectible cel. I never checked the other copies to see if they were all like that. Too bad I opened both of them already :sad: . Oh well, Superman is a great set. I watched alot more BTAS episodes when I was younger than STAS. There a few of these Superman episodes that I don't quite recall, at least in entirty. I getting ready to go back and watch some more episodes here in about 5 minutes. Great stuff so far. I can't wait for the next set. Makes me wish they would have released more STAS villian action figures back in the day. I highly recommend this set as well as the 1st Vol. and all 4 BTAS volumes. AAA++

J-Ranger

John Stewart
I was very pleased with the animation cel, I thought it was a nice move from WHV. Mine however was damaged inside the DVD, how that happened, I have no clue. Luckily the people at Wal-mart were actually nice enough for me to exhange my DVD. I really look forward to watching this set tonite.

Karkull

Mod of Chaos
I really loved the "Villains of Metropolis" documentary. It always bugged me that we heard so little about what went into creating Superman's rogues, so this was a special treat for me. And, hey, Bruce Timm went the whole time without mentioning Darkseid! Yay!

Another fun bit: on the commentary for "Mxyzpixilated," the creative team mentioned that they tried to write a Mxyzptlk episode for Justice League, but couldn't come up with a decent concept. The mind boggles...

CadaverousEyes

Ostracized
I'm glad they decided to use real hubs this time. The cheap ones on the first volume can break easily if you don't spend an obscene amount of time (i.e., more than one second) trying to pry the disc loose, and that's especially not good with the double-sided disc.

Oddly enough, the episode transfers here come directly from film (except for the opening sequence), even though the ones on Batman Volume 4 defaulted to interlaced content. This avoids the interlacing problems found on the first set and now the show looks all film-like. Considering this, plus the inclusion of chapter stops, it seems that Warner Bros. is really shaping up on the quality of these sets.

Steven C

I bought this today, all I can say is AWESOME!!!!

STAS is my favorite DCAU toon!

maxnugget

Avenger of evil and ignorance
Just watched some of this...

The score from Brave New Metropolis is so awesome, it's great to hear it again. The commentary on that episode was an absolute trainwreck, although the fact that even the crew acknowledged the lameness of it was amusing in its own way.

The World's Finest commentary, on the other hand, was a lot of fun. Lots of interesting tidbits.

I guess there's not really any way around playing the recall-who-did-what game, but it *does* make you want to tear your hair out whenever one of those exchanges doesn't lead to SOME sort of story about the bit they're talking about...

Person A: Who boarded this sequence?
Person B: I think..I think it was X.
Person A: No, I don't think so...was it Y?
Person C: Nope, I seem to remember it being Z.
Person A: Yep, that's it.
(beat)
Person A: Nope, it wasn't Z.
Person B: I think it was actually Y.
Person A: (pause) Yeah...yeah, come to think of it, I think it was Y.
(insert either interesting story about Y or, if we're unlucky, silence or change-of-topic, making the previous time-gobbling exchange pointless)

Overall I'm very happy with these sets, and especially in awe that I finally now have the TNBA episodes on DVD.

Hades

The reason why some of you are having problems finding it at Target is because they were selling them on Saturday. I was at 3 different Target stores, and they all had 4 copies each sitting on the shefl.

Anyway, I'll be getting mine for Xmas.

Anwar

Lord of the Vindaloovians
Huh, do you think "Apokolips..now!" and "Legacy" will get commentaries as well in volume three?

Joker1238

CadaverousEyes said:
I'm glad they decided to use real hubs this time. The cheap ones on the first volume can break easily if you don't spend an obscene amount of time (i.e., more than one second) trying to pry the disc loose, and that's especially not good with the double-sided disc.

Oddly enough, the episode transfers here come directly from film (except for the opening sequence), even though the ones on Batman Volume 4 defaulted to interlaced content. This avoids the interlacing problems found on the first set and now the show looks all film-like. Considering this, plus the inclusion of chapter stops, it seems that Warner Bros. is really shaping up on the quality of these sets.
The way I fix VOL 1 in that regard was well, got a new IMPOVE case for it, lol

I re bought Helen of Troy,(Already had the movie) got rid of the 2 DVDs in there, and put STAS in that case.

I came close in ALMOST breaking the 2 sided disk a few times.

BlueRocketBoy

Of the episodes in this set, I've previously seen only the "World's Finest" trilogy and "The Late Mr. Kent" -- so this is essentially all-new for me! I watched the first episode, "Identity Crisis", and it was simple but sweet. The hook at the beginning was the best part -- Superman rescues Clark. I'm looking forward to getting into the rest of these, especially "Mxyzpixilated" and "Brave New Metropolis".

Adeptus32

Has knowledge of many things.
Strangely, this isn't showing up on Netflix. They have Vol 1, and all three volumes of BTAS. Odd.

Funkatron

Don't have the set yet, but someone at another board posted a little tidbit about the commentary for "Worlds finest": appearently, the guys at TMS thought Batman could fly cause he had a cape, so they animated him doing so :p(later was reanimated). Wish we got that clip as a special feature

J-Ranger

John Stewart
I can already picture one of the featurettes on volume 3.

Superman & his Superfriends - A special look at the other heroes introduced in Superman

Steel
Supergirl
Aquaman
Green Lantern
Legion of Superheroes

That would be a really cool featurette on how and why they decided to incorporate all these characters into the show

Joker1238

J-Ranger said:
I can already picture one of the featurettes on volume 3.

Superman & his Superfriends - A special look at the other heroes introduced in Superman

Steel
Supergirl
Aquaman
Green Lantern
Legion of Superheroes

That would be a really cool featurette on how and why they decided to incorporate all these characters into the show
And all of em expect maybe Kyle GL, made it on the JLU.

Wonder if Supes had something to do with that.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Asa
My Babysitter's a Vampire will release on HBO Max later this year

Could we be getting more Fresh TV content on the service in the future?
harry580 wrote on trfan's profile.
hi, turning red fan, I like turning red too
after watching Dr. Strange 2. I'm glad Sam Raimi gets to direct another film and put his filmmaking trademarks in their but at the same time It's still another manufactured Marvel movie and they got to hit certain beats or else audiences wouldn't like it.

I don't know if it's me getting tired of superhero films or me getting older and growing out of them and want to expand my movie tastes
I wonder if Mattel is going to make an animated Masters of the Universe project that includes the Sun Man and the Rulers of the Sun characters? It would be....interesting to see Pighead and Skeletor team up to fight their respective heroes.
I really wish greenlit the GKND!

Featured Posts