"Superman: Red Son" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

"Superman: Red Son" - Rate and Discuss the Animated Adaptation!

• ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
What if the Man of Steel was raised behind the Iron Curtain? Discuss Superman: Red Son and its home media release right here!

Superman: Red Son
Studio:
Warner Bros. Animation
Release Date: February 25, 2020 - Digital; March 17, 2020 - Blu-ray/DVD; June 14, 2020 - DC Universe Streaming Service

Synopsis: Based on DC’s famed Elseworlds tale, Superman: Red Son takes place in an alternate reality where the spaceship bearing the last survivor of Krypton crash lands – not in rural Kansas, but in Stalinist Russia. Can this Cold War-era Earth survive the coming of a Soviet Superman?

Golden Globe-nominated actor Jason Isaacs leads a stellar cast as the voice of the alternate, Soviet take on Superman. Isaacs, one of the stars of the Harry Potter film franchise, Star Trek: Discovery and more than 120 films and television series, gets his turn as a super hero after three memorable appearances in DC Universe Movies as famous Super-Villains from the DC library. Isaacs previously voiced Sinestro in Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, Lex Luthor in Justice League: Gods and Monsters and Ra’s al Ghul in Batman: Under the Red Hood.

Joining Isaacs is Diedrich Bader (American Housewife, Veep, The Drew Carey Show) as Lex Luthor, Amy Acker (Angel, Person of Interest, The Gifted) as Lois Lane, Vanessa Marshall (Young Justice, Star Wars Rebels) as Wonder Woman, Phil Morris (Seinfeld, Doom Patrol) as James Olsen, Academy Award winner Paul Williams (Goliath, Phantom of the Paradise) as Brainiac, Roger Craig Smith (Batman Ninja, Batman: Arkham Origins) as Batman, Sasha Roiz (Grimm) as Hal Jordan, Phil LaMarr (Futurama, Pulp Fiction, Justice League/Justice League Unlimited) as John Stewart, Jim Meskimen (Parks and Recreation, Impress Me) as John F. Kennedy, Travis Willingham (Critical Role, Batman: Bad Blood) as Superior Man, William Salyers (Regular Show, Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders) as Joseph Stalin, and Winter Ave Zoli (Sons of Anarchy, Bosch) as Svetlana.

Superman: Red Son is produced and directed by Sam Liu (Reign of the Supermen) from a script by J.M. DeMatteis (Batman: Bad Blood, Constantine: City of Demons). Jim Krieg (Batman: Gotham by Gaslight) is co-producer. Amy McKenna (The Death of Superman) is producer. Executive Producers are Sam Register and Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series).

Superman: Red Son Bonus Content:
Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack and Digital
-DC Showcase: Phantom Stranger (Animated Short) – Animation legend Bruce Timm helms Phantom Stranger as both executive producer & director from a script written by Ernie Altbacker (Teen Titans: The Judas Contract). Set in the 1970s, the short follows young adult Jess as she joins her friends at a party in a dilapidated mansion hosted by the mysterious Seth … when odd things begin to happen to Jess and her friends, can Phantom Stranger intervene? Peter Serafinowicz (The Tick) gives voice to Phantom Stranger, and Michael Rosenbaum (Smallville, Impastor) provides the voice of Seth. Phantom Stranger also features the voices of Natalie Lander, Grey Griffin and Roger Craig Smith.
-Cold Red War (New Featurette) – An exploration of the Cold War through the lens of the Elseworlds classic Superman: Red Son, as Superman rises to power and tension escalates between the United States and the Soviet Union.
-Two episodes from Superman: Red Son – The Motion Comic.
-A Sneak Peek at the next DC Universe Movie, Justice League Dark: Apokolips War – An advanced look at the next animated film in the popular DC Universe Movies collection.

Discuss the Superman: Red Son animated release here!

Please note this talkback is for both the Superman: Red Son animated feature and all aspects of the assorted home media releases. Discussion for both are now housed in one single talkback discussion thread. Spoilers are also allowed, so those who have yet to see the movie may want to avoid this thread until they have.

Related Threads:

-Superman: Red Son Animated Feature Review (Spoilers)
-Superman: Red Son Pre-Release News and Discussion (Spoilers)
-Superman: Red Son Classic Comic Book Talkback (Spoilers)
-DC Showcase: Phantom Stranger Animated Short Talkback (Spoilers)
-Reign of the Supermen Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Death of Superman Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: Unbound Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman Versus The Elite Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-All-Star Superman Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman/Doomsday Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman/Batman: Apocalypse Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman/Batman: Public Enemies Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Batman: Gotham by Gaslight Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)
-Justice League "A Better World" Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Animated Series "Brave New Metropolis" Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, we appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil and respectful toward each other and the topic itself. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Sep 7, 2004
It was okay. I thought the animation quality was a bit on the lower end for this line of movies, and if my recollection of the original story is at all accurate, I feel like it's not as strong as the three-part series. For some reason I was expecting something more closely aligned to the book, and I do kind of question some of the liberties they took to adapt the story to movie format.

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
I really enjoyed it though I thought the movie could've flowed a little smoother. The animation seemed pretty good to, better than some of their other recent movies so I wonder if the budget has gone up some. I don't mind the changes made to the movie with the exception of the ending. I love how the original comic ends and I wish we got that here but I get why they did it though as the more hopeful version is the right call given how dire things in the real world are now. We could all use some hope and having this movie end on that note, after things got so bad for Superman, makes a lot of sense. And seeing some very-deserved-but-not-very-subtle jabs at the current awful U.S. government was very nice to see but I'll leave that at that. I did think it would fit more closely to the script as the books length is almost perfect for a movie like this but that didn't bother me. They got so much right here that its easy to overlook some of the missteps. Really good movie though and a great effort.

-batmat-

Nov 10, 2010
Argentina
I enjoyed it. I really didn't like most of the changes they did to the source material, specially not including the ending, that was one of the high points of the original comics and now the ending is more bland.

I could appreciate them changing and expanding the source material for something like Gotham By Gaslight which was a very short story by itself, but Red Son didn't have that problem, so, for the most part, I didn't like the changes they did to it.

I specially didn't like Wonder Woman here. They turned her into a man hating annoying character. In the comic she was in love with Superman, here she hates men and she's a lesbian. I don't know what's the point of those changes, they don't serve any real purpose.

It had been a while since I read the comic, and I re read it right after I watched the movie, and I found that the parts I like the most in the movie, were the ones they stuck closest to the comic.

I felt the beginning of the movie was a bit of a mess pacing wise, and yes, I definitely noticed the animation being not so strong this time. The designs look so beautiful but the animation is getting more stiff every time. The conversation between Superman and Lois in the top of the Daily Planet was just... cringey to watch. That moment and many more felt like I was just staring at a picture or if someone had paused the movie.

But around the middle, the movie picked up a lot for me and became much more interesting and engaging. Loved mostly all the voice work, I remembered that Paul Williams was Brainiac in the middle of the final fight, and I have to give him a special mention. Sure there's some FXs there , but he sounds really good.

Movie feels a bit like a wasted opportunity but it's still a very good enjoyable movie.

Dallas Kinard

Apr 13, 2013
South Central Pennsylvania
I specially didn't like Wonder Woman here. They turned her into a man hating annoying character. In the comic she was in love with Superman, here she hates men and she's a lesbian. I don't know what's the point of those changes, they don't serve any real purpose.
It's just more attempts to promote woke culture (IE Identity politics). The entertainment industry has been pushing this stuff hard for the past few years (All of the CW DC shows - especially Batwoman, Ghost Busters, Birds Of Prey, Men In Black, etc.) As much as I hope it's a phase, I'm not optimistic. Here's hoping these writers realize that not everyone sees the world in the way that they do and appealing to diversity of opinion, ideology and thought is far more productive than having a narrow view of how they personally feel a story should be told.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Sep 7, 2004
It's just more attempts to promote woke culture (IE Identity politics). The entertainment industry has been pushing this stuff hard for the past few years (All of the CW DC shows - especially Batwoman, Ghost Busters, Birds Of Prey, Men In Black, etc.) As much as I hope it's a phase, I'm not optimistic. Here's hoping these writers realize that not everyone sees the world in the way that they do and appealing to diversity of opinion, ideology and thought is far more productive than having a narrow view of how they personally feel a story should be told.
Thing is, this particular portrayal of WW probably wouldn't fit the "woke" ideal, though. The angry, man-hating lesbian is not exactly what progressives have been clamoring for. It's like the creators of the movie didn't like portraying WW as a jilted lover, so they "corrected" (for lack of a better term) it by making her something else unappealing. Metaphorically, the comic WW might've been a field goal attempt that missed wide-right, but the movie version fell short of the goalpost.

Also, based on what happened in New Frontier I kind of predicted that they were going to make the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship in this story a lot less romantic/passionate in nature.

Reactions: Dallas Kinard

Dallas Kinard

Apr 13, 2013
Thing is, this particular portrayal of WW probably wouldn't fit the "woke" ideal, though. The angry, man-hating lesbian is not exactly what progressives have been clamoring for. It's like the creators of the movie didn't like portraying WW as a jilted lover, so they "corrected" (for lack of a better term) it by making her something else unappealing. Metaphorically, the comic WW might've been a field goal attempt that missed wide-right, but the movie version fell short of the goalpost.

Also, based on what happened in New Frontier I kind of predicted that they were going to make the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship in this story a lot less romantic/passionate in nature.
I just wish overall they would stop changing things.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com

I found this interesting review of the movie from someone more familiar with Russian history. It's quite interesting.

Dusty

Superman.
Nov 15, 2003
Metropolis, Earth,
kal-dusty.deviantart.com
Absolutely loved this and probably consider this in the top 3 best DCU-DTVs. My only gripe is...them getting rid of Wonder Woman’s and Superman’s relationship being more than just friends. I just felt it was an completely unnecessary change. a good thing I LOVE is the more BT design they used in the main film and the DC showcase with Phantom Stranger[/SPOILER]
besides that issue I had... the animation, designs, pacing, action, acting, and the message.. were fantastic. This DC DTV is probably one of the first to get such a high rating from me. 9.8/10. I highly recommend it.

Kallum.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Sep 7, 2004
My only gripe is...them getting rid of Wonder Woman’s and Superman’s relationship being more than just friends. I just felt it was an completely unnecessary change. [/SPOILER]

I'd 100% agree with you if they said they sterilized Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship. I don't know why, but it's become a predictable staple of DC animation since the Justice League series, minus the exception of a few of the Tucker-led JL movies. But in the comic, they were just friends. WW wanted more, but Superman was oblivious to it until years after the fact, which I get is not a popular take on WW and so I understand why they'd want to modify the story a bit.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Some initial thoughts. I either didn't read it or don't remember reading it at all, so I was not beholden to the source material so I went into this one with no real expectations of how it should be. The movie worked for me. An interesting and compelling story using the Cold War as a vehicle for how mixing Superman's stubborn idealism with being proactive was what made this AU version his own worst enemy.

Wonder Woman being the voice of reason and no one listening was pretty damn tragic. I liked that they honed in on her classic role as a peacemaker but as the movie progressed, her hope (and patience) in mankind deteriorated because as predicted by Hippolyta the justification of force and brutality repeated itself in the post-World War II Cold War era. And that hope to her was Superman but in the end was no better than Stalin. So I didn't see the "man hating lesbian" or hating for no reason that others have seen. She was disgusted with herself for believing too much in one person to change things. If she hated Superman, she wouldn't have saved him from Batman nor would she have stopped at blocking his punch then departing the battle. She would have obliterated everyone there if she was a man hater for no reason.

Really interesting take on Lex Luthor. An actual good version but yes, did stray into gray areas until Lois read him the riot act. Took me awhile to get used to Bader voicing him.

My only real gripe was Superior Man. Really meh take on Bizarro, definitely of the era but using him as a 9/11 metaphor with the liberator line made me cringe. I would guess if you're not a fan of politics or political statements in animation, you'll have issues with this one. Something about this take on Lois didn't click with me, I'm not sure what - too over the top maybe. I'm also not a big fan of Digital eMation in general so maybe if Moi did it, maybe it would have gotten a better rating from me. But around a 7.5/10. 8 if it had a commentary track.

Quick note, that in what is becoming a tradition, some of info on the special features was incorrect. The Red Son motion comics episodes do appear in special features but as its own section. The DC Vault episodes are actually Part 1 and Part 2 of Justice League's "A Better World".

Reactions: Otaku-sempai

Dallas Kinard

Apr 13, 2013
I honestly feel like if you compare the animation quality to stuff like JLU and any of the movies made before Tucker took over, they were all much smoother and more beautiful to look at. Now, things are just oddly choppy and anime-esque. I'm just not a fan of it.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Sep 7, 2004
I honestly feel like if you compare the animation quality to stuff like JLU and any of the movies made before Tucker took over, they were all much smoother and more beautiful to look at. Now, things are just oddly choppy and anime-esque. I'm just not a fan of it.
Superman vs. the Elite? Superman Unbound? Particularly Elite, I can't imagine anyone would compare that movie's visuals favorably to another movie in the line.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Jul 24, 2007
UK/Ireland
pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com
Superman vs. the Elite? Superman Unbound? Particularly Elite, I can't imagine anyone would compare that movie's visuals favorably to another movie in the line.
From what I remember about Elite, the designs were a bit funky, but the animation was quite nice.

I recently rewatched both Public Enemies and Crisis on Two Earths. The animation was fantastic in both (outside of a few CG stumbles) and definitely impressed me. Animation has clearly suffered over the last five years at least.

But I guess that's why the line still exists all these years later, despite a dwindling market.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Sep 7, 2004
From what I remember about Elite, the designs were a bit funky, but the animation was quite nice.

I recently rewatched both Public Enemies and Crisis on Two Earths. The animation was fantastic in both (outside of a few CG stumbles) and definitely impressed me. Animation has clearly suffered over the last five years at least.

But I guess that's why the line still exists all these years later, despite a dwindling market.
I felt every part ofElite's visuals seemed to be far from the expensive end. Was the animation clean? Yes, but it wasn't super smooth, and a lot of the visuals were low in detail, like backgrounds and such. I also remember watching the intro and wondering if the budget was slashed to animate the film.

Put it another way: it's not like a Zelda Wind Waker scenario where even if you disliked the designs, it compensated in other ways such as more expressive animation. The movie just looked low-budget. Even the intro sequence seemed jarring to me, though maybe my mind was biased by the guitars instead of orchestral music.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
DeMatteis confirmed the dam at the start is loosely based on the Sayano-Shusenskaya Dam and the official who encourages Superman to speak is named General Rogozhin.

DC Daily has interviews with Isaacs, Marshall, and Morris (skip to end).

Roger Craig Smith will do a Twitter AMA on Moday the 16th from 4-5 pm PDT.

At the risk of digressing, WW Bloodlines was the first of these DCU Movies animated by eMation so they're relatively new to the line. I keep a list of it in the main movie news thread but if one were to look the the entire DCU line by animation studio:
Lotto Animation (South Korea)
*Superman Doomsday
*Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Dongwoo Co., LTD. (South Korea)
*Justice League: The New Frontier

Studio 4C (Japan)
*Batman: Gotham Knight (Have I Got a Story For You, Working Through Pain)
*Green Lantern: Emerald Knights
*Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox

Production I.G. (Japan)
*Batman: Gotham Knight (Crossfire)

Bee Train (Japan)
*Batman: Gotham Knight (Field Test)

Madhouse (Japan)
*Batman: Gotham Knight (In Darkness Dwells, Deadshot)

Moi Animation (South Korea)
*Wonder Woman
*Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths
*Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
*All-Star Superman
*Batman: Year One
*Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part One
*Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part Two
*Superman: Unbound
*Justice League: War
*Batman: Assault on Arkham
*Justice League: Throne of Atlantis
*Justice League: Gods and Monsters
*Justice League vs. Teen Titans
*Batman: Gotham by Gaslight

*Spectre
*Green Arrow
*Superman/Shazam
*Catwoman

Telecom Animation Film Co., LTD. (Japan)
*Green Lantern: First Flight
*Justice League: Doom
*Superman vs. The Elite

The Answerstudio (Japan)
*Batman: Under the Red Hood
*Son of Batman
*Batman vs. Robin
*Batman: Bad Blood
*Batman: The Killing Joke
*Teen Titans: The Judas Contract

DR Movie (South Korea)
*Justice League Dark
*Batman and Harley Quinn
*Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay
*Justice League vs. the Fatal Five

Studio MIR (South Korea)
*The Death of Superman

*Sgt. Rock
*Death

Maven Image Platform (South Korea)
*Reign of the Supermen

NE4U Inc. (South Korea)
*Batman: Hush

Digital eMation, Inc. (South Korea)
*Wonder Woman: Bloodlines
*Superman: Red Son

*Phantom Stranger

JM Animation (South Korea)
*Jonah Hex
So per PFan's examples - Lotto has not done any DTVs since Public Enemies and Crisis on Two Earths was Moi and they've done a fair amount with Gotham by Gaslight being their latest. And amusingly enough, Superman vs The Elite was the last one TMS had done for the line. I want to say the variance in quality is because they've contracted work with more and more companies so maybe there isn't that familiarity in the work flow that there is with ones like TMS or DR Movie who have done DC animation for decades and the only studios they kept working with after Tucker took over was Moi and Answer Studio (and Studio 4C for one) so if they quality really did get worse, it would be from those two, the rest are new partners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dallas Kinard