"Superman: Man of Tomorrow" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Digital Release: August 23, 2020
Physical Release: September 8, 2020

A "Superman: Man of Tomorrow " animated movie was announced for 2020 at the San Diego Comic-Con.
The 2020 DC Universe Movie slate will then wrap up with a standalone film called Superman: Man of Tomorrow, making this the first time two Superman-centered DC Universe Movies will be released in the same year. Unlike Red Son, Man of Tomorrow will be a fully original story featuring a young Superman early in his career. We’ll have to wait for additional details on what we can expect from this one, including who the villain or villains of the movie may be and what other characters may appear alongside the Man of Steel.

Source: The World's Finest

Stay tuned for further updates!
Comments?

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
This was honestly the biggest surprise for me, both to have another Superman movie slated for next year (yay) and for apparently being a completely original story :D.

I am really wondering what they'll be going for with it. A completley, standalone, original Superman piece? Or a prequel with Jerry O'Connel's Superman? The trend of two in-continuity movies per year lends itself to the latter, but you never know...

Although, voice-cast wise, using O'Connel's Superman would make it easier if only because they already have 90% of his supporting cast attached to VA's, unless they do some recasts :p.

I'm also curious if they'll take any inspiration from other Superman origins, like Grant Morrison's New 52 Superman arc :).

TheGreatOne2

SDCC 2020 is cancerled so this movie will go stiright to digital then dvd/bd without the world premere at sdcc 2020

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Entertainment Weekly has a first look at Superman: Man of Tomorrow, as well as casting details.

The coronavirus pandemic means DC superhero fans will have to wait a little longer to see upcoming live-action movies like Wonder Woman: 1984 or the Suicide Squad sequel, but the good news is there's a new animated DC film to look forward to. This summer sees the release of Superman: Man of Tomorrow, which finds Clark Kent working as an intern for the Daily Planet and learning on the job how to save the city of Metropolis. Check out an exclusive first look from the film above.
Darren Criss, who can be seen on Netflix this weekend starring in Ryan Murphy's new drama Hollywood, will lead the Superman: Man of Tomorrow cast as the big blue boy scout himself. Zachary Quinto, who got his start playing the murderous supervillain Sylar on NBC's Heroes, will here voice one of the greatest supervillains of all time: Lex Luthor. Alexandra Daddario (San Andreas) will voice Lois Lane.
That's the rundown on the biggest names in Superman's orbit. But Man of Tomorrow will also shine the spotlight on two less famous rogues: Lobo and Parasite. Lobo, an intergalactic bounty hunter who calls himself "the Main Man," will be voiced by Ryan Hurst (The Walking Dead) while Parasite (a.k.a. Rudy Jones) will be voiced by Brett Dalton (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.). Parasite is one of the most well-named characters in superhero comics: A monster who can literally suck the superpowers and life out of other beings. As such, he's one of the few villains who can actually pose a threat to Superman.
The rest of the voice cast includes Ike Amadi (Mass Effect 3) as fellow superhero Martian Manhunter, Neil Flynn (Scrubs) as Jonathan Kent, and Bellamy Young (Scandal) as Martha Kent. Superman: Man of Tomorrow is directed by Chris Palmer (Voltron: Legendary Defender) and written by Tim Sheridan (The Death of Superman), with Butch Lukic (Justice League, Batman Beyond) serving as supervising producer.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So, this is an interesting cast. I think this is the first DC Universe movie since Justice League Vs Teen Titans to not have a role reprisal.

Edit: It's interesting how a director from Voltron is working on this Superman movie given how that show was co-created by Lauren Montgomery, who co-directed the first movie in the lineup, Superman: Doomsday

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Darren Criss went from playing the Music Meister to the Man of Steel :D.

I am really excited for Zachary Quinto as Luthor. I think he'll be perfect for the role :evil:.

This isn't Alexandra Daddario's first Superhero role, she was Wasp in the Avengers Academy mobile game, but I think she'll be a solid Lois :anime:.

I wasn't expecting Lobo. Is this the first time he's been in an animated feature, come to think of it (aside from the Lego movies)? I like Brett Dalton but I'm not sure I can imagine the Main Man sounding like Grant Ward o_O.

I was expecting Metallo or Brainiac as another villain, Parasite is cool too :cool:.

Martian Manhunter is an interesting surprise. I wonder if his role is related to Lobo :confused:?

Neil Flynn as Pa Kent? He was Vixen's adopted dad too. Is this his new typecast ;)?

"Butch Lukic as supervising producer" I guess that might confirm the theory as to who is showrunning the line now :)?

The art style is definitely a departure from past DC Animated Feature films. Can't quite peg who the character designer is since it doesn't seem to be someone they've used in the past. The style feels a little retro to me. It's definitely a different take then I was expecting :ack:.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Maybe if they went for more obscure role reprisals, like Fred Tatasciore as Perry White (Superman Vs The Elite) and Alexander Gould as Jimmy Olsen (Superman Unbound).

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I wasn't expecting Lobo. Is this the first time he's been in an animated feature, come to think of it (aside from the Lego movies)? I like Brett Dalton but I'm not sure I can imagine the Main Man sounding like Grant Ward o_O.
If alt. univ counts he was in Crisis.
There must have been a mix-up, because this is the Parasite voice actor:

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Cool Rider
Hey, my #1 ''new supervising producer'' prediction over in the DC Animation feature thread turned out to be accurate... Butch Lukic is a great pick going forward. Highly deserved.

An excellent voice cast with interesting looking character designs. They wouldn't look out of place on Archer. Also, apparently Ike Amadi voiced Martian Manhunter in Lego DC Super Villians, so technically we do have a role reprisal.

Dallas Kinard

I'm loving the fresh, new art style. Hopefully this is the beginning of a return to form and gets us back to the pre-2013 era of stand-alone features with unique voice cast and art style for each piece.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
An excellent voice cast with interesting looking character designs. They wouldn't look out of place on Archer. Also, apparently Ike Amadi voiced Martian Manhunter in Lego DC Super Villians, so technically we do have a role reprisal.

I looked it up. He apparently first voiced him in Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham. Still, you're right in that there is a role reprisal here.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm loving the fresh, new art style. Hopefully this is the beginning of a return to form and gets us back to the pre-2013 era of stand-alone features with unique voice cast and art style for each piece.
I feel bad for hoping for more shared continuity stuff :p.

Hopefully a change in art style means that they'll at least be an attempt to adapt Tim Sale's art style instead of just bringing in Steven Choi and calling it a day.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Cool. A bit amusing this news comes out a couple days after it's mentioned Clark is also a Daily Planet intern in the current DC Super Hero Girls canon. Dig the art style. Solid cast and crew. Funny while watching Agents of SHIELD, I always imagined Dalton would make a good Lex someday, lol. But as Parasite, should still be interesting considering his role as Hive a later season of AOS. Looks like they're going to play off Superman and Lex still being friends.

Chris Palmer did do some DC stuff like YJ Invasion then did a few DTVs like Batman Unlimited and JL vs TT before doing Voltron. I think this is his twitter account?

Hey, my #1 ''new supervising producer'' prediction over in the DC Animation feature thread turned out to be accurate... Butch Lukic is a great pick going forward. Highly deserved.
Good call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts