"Superman & Lois" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate season 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
SUPERMAN & LOIS SEASON 1

SupermanAndLois.jpg

February 23, 2021
"Pilot" - Episode 1
In SUPERMAN & LOIS, after years of facing megalomaniacal supervillains, monsters wreaking havoc on Metropolis, and alien invaders intent on wiping out the human race, the world’s most famous superhero, The Man of Steel aka Clark Kent (Tyler Hoechlin, "Teen Wolf") and comic books’ most famous journalist, Lois Lane (Elizabeth Tulloch, "Grimm"), come face to face with one of their greatest challenges ever – dealing with all the stress, pressures and complexities that come with being working parents in today’s society.

Complicating the already daunting job of raising two boys, Clark and Lois must also concern themselves with whether or not their sons Jonathan (Jordan Elsass, "Little Fires Everywhere") and Jordan (Alexander Garfin, "The Peanuts Movie") could inherit their father’s Kryptonian superpowers as they grow older. Returning to Smallville to handle some Kent family business, Clark and Lois are reacquainted with Lana Lang (Emmanuelle Chriqui, "Entourage"), a local loan officer who also happens to be Clark’s first love, and her Fire Chief husband Kyle Cushing (Erik Valdez, "Graceland"). The adults aren’t the only ones rediscovering old friendships in Smallville as the Kent sons are reacquainted with Lana and Kyle’s rebellious daughter, Sarah (Inde Navarrette, "Wander Darkly").

Of course, there’s never a dull moment in the life of a superhero, especially with Lois’ father, General Samuel Lane (Dylan Walsh, "Nip/Tuck") looking for Superman to vanquish a villain or save the day at a moment’s notice. Meanwhile, Superman and Lois’ return to idyllic Smallville is set to be upended when a mysterious stranger (Wolé Parks, "All American") and impassioned self-made mogul Morgan Edge (Adam Rayner, "Tyrant") enters their lives. Based on the characters from DC created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, SUPERMAN & LOIS is written and executive produced by Todd Helbing ("The Flash") and executive produced by Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter, Geoff Johns. The series is from Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

hobbyfan

It's not just the Arrowverse that's all about family. It's a network thing. Let's remember that.

Anyway, it's fitting that with Black Lightning & Supergirl ending this season, Superman & Lois fills the void very nicely. Like Black Lightning, the series deals with a father raising two kids who could both be metahumans.

"Captain Luthor"? With a foreign accent? The last time Luthor was cast as having a foreign accent was in the 1966 Filmation Superman series. Jackson Beck gave him a European accent from somewhere. I guess this is to distinguish this Luthor from Jon Cryer's version over on Supergirl.

Anyone notice how Jordan, with the curly hair, more resembles the comics version of Jonathan? Just asking.

Soundtrack suggestion: "Daddy Won't Sell The Farm", Montgomery Gentry.

Good start!

Greg91

Reporter
This show's pilot episode was a very enjoyable, grounded start to the series. The beginning of the episode already makes you care about the characters and what's happening to them. The cast did a fantastic job in their roles. I really enjoyed seeing Tyler and Elizabeth in leading roles as Clark and Lois because we get to know them so much better than their occasional Arrowverse appearance.

Speaking of the Arrowverse, it was refreshing to see a show in this universe that's so different from the others. The writers wrote a really emotional and relatable introduction to this series that feels more realistic and believable than the other shows. The cinematography played a big part in that. The crew did a fantastic job in that regard.

Overall, I'm excited to see more and feel as if the Arrowverse is having its DC Rebirth moment (at least with this show). Hopefully some connections to the larger universe take place later on (Supergirl mention or appearance). The Superman references, like the Action Comics #1 wink and nod, rocked. I'm curious what the Luthor reveal was about. An Arrowverse retcon or another Earth's Luthor? Excited to see more.

hobbyfan

On another board, they're saying, yes, he's from a parallel earth destroyed in the Crisis.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Superman & Lois "Pilot"

I think that was a LITTLE too grounded and played things a little too safe. That being said, it's closer to the Superman live-action show I've always wanted than anything else.

Tyler Hoechlin got raves as Superman on Supergirl. What I was unprepared for and surprised by is how amazing he actually is as Clark Kent. He doesn't actually LOOK different when he takes off his glasses in front of his sons for the first time. But he FEELS different. As far as live-action Supermen go, usually the actor is either great as Superman or Clark. One side of the dual performance is usually shakier than the other. The only previous one great at both was Christopher Reeves. But I think Hoechlin pulls it off.

This version of Sam Lane is much easier to take than Supergirl's version. Post Crisis has been good to him. I just wanted to punch Glenn Morshower in the mouth every time he appeared on-screen.

Is this set a few years in the future past the other Arrowverse stuff? Or did Crisis retcon Clark and Lois a family 16 years earlier? I suspect whatever future crossovers there might or might not be is the only real way to settle the issue and the timeline.

I dislike Kyle right off the bat. And I'll tell you why. He's going on about how city folk look down on and forget about people like him and the rest of Smallville, and I'm like "For a guy throwing out an accusation of elitism, the guy sure thinks he's better than Clark." This is usually how that works with sneers at elitism, but the only person apply negative judgments to people in that conversation is Kyle. It's a bit rich for him to be questioning Clark's motives as acting like he's superior.

Here is something I don't get. Tell me if I'm crazy. But I know how drama works, and I know teenagers can be moody and react badly to things. But if I was a kid and learned my dad was secretly Superman? He's suddenly the coolest dad ever! What is there to be mad about exactly? Suddenly Dad has a legit excuse for why he missed therapy! Why does this enrage the kids instead? I understand the necessity of the show adding drama to the reveal and family dysfunction. I'm just saying, about this one thing, any kid would be totally copacetic about it.

Speaking of weird Jordan behavior, I'm with the girl in being a bit dismayed by the kiss. I realize Jordan is sort of an anti-social loner. But I was too and I'm pretty sure I knew enough about how girls worked back then to know that a painful story of a girl's attempted suicide is not an invitation to make-out. That is not something the kid deserves to be confused about. Something like that should go without saying.

No clue what is going on with the Captain Luthor stuff at the end. Part of me is intrigued and part of me is already annoyed. Oh, well. He can't be any worse than Jon Cryer's version. Worst Luthor ever.

I'm not going to say that was promising because I was a little disappointed. But I get why the show was greenlit and I still appreciate it was. Tyler Hoechlin is literally the best Superman we've had in decades. It would have been criminal not to give him a show. I wish the first episode of the show had been better, and I sadly don't expect much better going forward. But I mean, seeing him in the suit every week is gonna be a treat, even if the rest of the show is shaky. He really is the best Superman in decades, and arguably ever. We'll see. ***1/2.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
SupermanAndLois.jpg

March 2, 2021
"Heritage" - Episode 2
While adjusting to their new lives in Smallville, Lois and Clark make an important decision concerning one of their sons. Meanwhile, tensions begin to rise between Lois and Morgan Edge. Lastly, Lana Lang Cushing invites the Kent family over for a barbecue.

hobbyfan

So Lois quits the Planet. Not a surprise.

Looking at Capt. Luthor's flashback, he's definitely from a different Earth, one that looks like it might've been inspired by the Injustice books & games. And on that world, Sam Lane served with him. The seeds have been planted for "our" Sam to link up with him inevitably.

As Jon struggled on the practice field, I kept thinking maybe he, too, has powers, and they'd manifest with one big, long pass. Maybe next week.

In the books, New Carthage was a suburb of Gotham back in the day, and home to Hudson University, where Dick Grayson went to college. This would be in the pre-Crisis era of the 70's & 80's.

Greg91

Reporter
Another great and grounded episode. Brief thoughts: I expected Lois to quit her job considering who she was criticising.

I wonder if Kyle is going to remain this stubborn about Morgan Edge considering the cons he and Lois discussed at the BBQ.

I was surprised by hologram Jor-El's characterization. A little harsh...

It's interesting to see Captain Luthor's Kal-El in a black suit like Elseworlds. I wouldn't be surprised if that Kal-El is inspired by the Injustice version of Superman.

reflection01

I’d say Kyle is desperate not just stubborn.

Good episode. I’m not interested in the Superman vs. Stranger stuff especially if this is centered around a basic evil Superman plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Otaku-sempai

In the books, New Carthage was a suburb of Gotham back in the day, and home to Hudson University, where Dick Grayson went to college. This would be in the pre-Crisis era of the 70's & 80's.
Maybe not a suburb; New Carthage was said to have been 175 miles from Gotham City (and about 75 miles north of New York City). Though maybe the Atlas of the DC Universe got it wrong?

hobbyfan

I read some of those Robin shorts in the back of Detective, and assumed it was close enough to Gotham to be a suburb. Thanks for your help.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Superman & Lois "Heritage"

To be truthful, I had some very serious misgivings last week. And if I want to be candid, I'll need to fess up that these feelings existed due entirely to my unfamiliarity with the tone and aesthetic, rather than failings in the plot or concept (like I claimed). I think I might have seriously botched last week's review. Most of my reviews I will stand by to the death. I think I missed the boat there.

As of now, I'm all about the return of a TV-PG Superman family show. It's long overdue.

It seems to me that Captain Luthor isn't actually evil. Which means he can be reasoned with. That's the hope at least. I don't want this poor guy being made the Big Bad of the series. I simply feel too bad for him for that. My heart would not be in Superman beating him up every week.

Here was something I WAS right about last week: I instantly disliked Kyle! Sam Lane also has the distinct knack of always being wrong, but the difference there is that I believe his heart is in the right place. I think Kyle is simply a scumbag. I don't think much of Lana Lang for marrying him.

I liked how Edge sort of turned the town meeting against Lois. I like how he turned it from a mandate on himself, into a mandate on her. He's bluffing, but a guy promising jobs can just as easily take them away, and he's given the crowd a good target to blame for it. I think it was a far more effective public relations tactic than rewriting her entire article at the Daily Planet. I wish the entire character were that smart, but rewriting Lois Lane says he isn't.

I like Beppo. She is going to be fun for Lois to work for.

I like Lois giving Jonathan his due in giving up his life for his brother. Especially because Jordan is taking him for granted, and leaving him holding the bag at school. I was very glad Jordan apologized to him. Because Jor-El may be a jerk (and he is) but Jordan having to hear his disappointing assessment isn't a tenth of the struggle Jonathan is being asked to endure while Jordan's at Superhero daycamp. And it's to Jonathan's credit he'll still try and help his brother after all that anyways.

I'm fully on-board the show now. I don't agree that it's grounded (as it is being billed). But it is told in a simpler, less complicated fashion than most Arrowverse stuff, which is something I like. The main cast is basically the four Kents. And they won't be killing off or threatening to routinely kill off those characters. As far as superhero shows go, this feels remarkably safe. Which is something I like. Which is something more superhero shows should try to be. Not all of them of course. But some of them. I didn't realize how much I needed superhero comfort food until I was gifted it these past two weeks. And silly me, I didn't recognize the gift for what it was after the Pilot because it had been so long before I had seen anything remotely like that in my superhero shows. ****1/2.

reflection01

Good takes. I’d be happy if we can look back to Stargirl as the shift from Arrowverse to something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
SupermanAndLois.jpg

March 9, 2021
"The Perks of Not Being a Wallflower" - Episode 3
Clark shares some of his Kryptonian history with Jordan and Jonathan during a family breakfast. Meanwhile, Lois and Chrissy dig deeper to uncover the truth about Morgan Edge.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Superman & Lois "The Perks Of Not Being A Wallflower"

A little light on the superheroics this week, so I was a little bored.

Jonathan is the best brother ever. I love his telling Clark that Jordan was making friends and being happy. Clark with the assistant coach hat on also tells us he's the world's biggest dork. As Clark Kent should be.

I have spent the last two weeks hating Kyle, and tonight I came to the unpleasant realization that I don't much like Lana either. I am very glad they gave her that scene with Sarah at the end because she would have been insufferable without it.

All right but nothing special. ***.

hobbyfan

Lemme talk about Jordan on the practice field. Sure, his powers are amplified in close proximity to Jon, and I'd imagine even more so when Clark joins them on the sidelines now, but in reality, with the right kind of leverage and momentum, any player can make the kind of plays Jordan made to wow the head coach.

Word on the street is that the mystery woman who vaporized the villain du jour is Lesla-Lar, another Kryptonian, apparently in service to Morgan Edge. Bears watching.

Road to Gotham

Nice seeing SUPERMAN using freeze breath. Overall a good Motel fight scene.
Been impressed with the Superman scenes so far.
Already tired of Jordan lashing out every episode. Tone it down.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Marieve Herington is now a US citizen. Congratulations.

It's the 12th anniversary of the arrow's debut on Central European CN feeds, replacing the city.
how come nobody talked about the animation test for the goon movie by blur studios
Man... I can't wait for Elliott from Earth Season 2.
I'm still trying to add pages from Yahoo Answers to the Wayback Machine; if you know of any interesting pages add them & send me a link.

Featured Posts