"Superman: Last Son of Krypton" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and post your comments on the "Last Son of Krypton" DVD

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • **** 1/2

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • *** 1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ** 1/2

• * 1/2

• 1/2

• Meh...I guess it's good just because it's STAS and on DVD.

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Fernus

Abraham Sapien
I can't wait to go out and by this. Here's hoping for more STAS episodes! We need box releases.

Supremus

Bird Boy said:
I did it! Yay!

I think I spent the entire day on watching, screengrabbing, editing screengrabs, making page for screengrabs, making stuff or the DVD page and reviewing it...oh well. Hope everyone enjoys everything!

For the lazy: the screengrab page.

-BB
Good job, BB. Any chance I could persuade you to do a few screenshots of the menus? I am a terrible menu-junkie, and my own copy still hasn't shipped yet thanks to the idiots at dvdsoon.com.

If you can't be bothered to do any more screens, that's cool, I will just wait. (3 months probably, thanks to the idiots at dvdsoon.com :))

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
Supremus said:
Good job, BB. Any chance I could persuade you to do a few screenshots of the menus? I am a terrible menu-junkie, and my own copy still hasn't shipped yet thanks to the idiots at dvdsoon.com.

If you can't be bothered to do any more screens, that's cool, I will just wait. (3 months probably, thanks to the idiots at dvdsoon.com :))

I already screengrabbed all the menus. It's on the DVD Page that I first linked in my post. :D

-BB

Supremus

Bird Boy said:
I already screengrabbed all the menus. It's on the DVD Page that I first linked in my post. :D

-BB
Ah, thanks. The first link took me to the screenshots page. I missed the page you just linked to.

I am really looking forward to getting my copy now... sometime in 2011, thanks to the idiots at dvdsoon.com :)

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
Supremus said:
Ah, thanks. The first link took me to the screenshots page. I missed the page you just linked to.

I am really looking forward to getting my copy now... sometime in 2011, thanks to the idiots at dvdsoon.com :)

There were two links in the post I made before--first linked to the DVD page, second the screengrab page...but, anyway...

Yeah, it's a pretty nice DVD. Much better than I expected. I think I was just happy to see STAS on DVD finally...even if it is in this small amount.

-BB

Supremus

Bird Boy said:
There were two links in the post I made before--first linked to the DVD page, second the screengrab page...but, anyway...
Yes, I just saw that now. It was almost 4am over here when I first saw your post, so even if you had put the menu shots right there in the post, there's a good chance I would have still missed them :)

Bird Boy said:
Yeah, it's a pretty nice DVD. Much better than I expected. I think I was just happy to see STAS on DVD finally...even if it is in this small amount. -BB
I agree. Even a little bit of STAS is a good thing, and with the recent surprise announcements of Samurai Jack and even Batman Beyond, surely Superman is next in line for the box set treatment, or at the very least some more season 1 episodes.

R

Robin

Supremus said:
I agree. Even a little bit of STAS is a good thing, and with the recent surprise announcements of Samurai Jack and even Batman Beyond, surely Superman is next in line for the box set treatment, or at the very least some more season 1 episodes.
I hope this release leads to more Superman. With only eight more episode sin the first season, they must be doing something. It was a tease seeing clips from some first season (and even later) episodes on the DVD. I hope WB does go the season route with Superman. When the Superman movie finally gets off the ground, we know WB will be their to exploit it.

I do have one question - how come they didn't ask Bruce Timm or Paul Dini any questions for this release, like they did with the other DC DVD releases? I like the short 5 minute featurette, but it would've been nice to see Timm and Dini on this release, too.

Hatter

Just picked this up on the cheap, and was blown away. For my money, this is the definitive Superman origin story. If it were up to me, I'd visit the guys trying to make the new Supes live-action film, toss them this disc, and say, "Flesh it out and film it."
The opening on Krypton was just mind-blowing. That part of the origin is usually summarized pretty quickly, so I really enjoyed seeing it come to life. And how they used Brainiac - wow. I have to say that Brainiac is now my favorite comicbook villain. Talk about foreshadowing! Even though he wasn't present in physical form, he played a substantial role.
The rest of the film was pretty much standard Superman fare, although still fun, and I don't think I'll ever get tired of this animated incarnation of Lois Lane.

While the video quality was fairly decent most of the time, there was quite a large amount of dirt and scratches on the film. That definitely should have been taken care of.
And, for the pilot of a series from 1996, the animation quality was lower than that of B:TAS - from several years earlier.

And one more thing... this DVD just makes me angrier about the fact that I never got to see S:TAS on TV. It might have had a run originally, but I don't think any Canadian station got the syndication rights. B:TAS was a regular on YTV up until a few years ago. The only episodes of S:TAS I've ever seen were from when I was on vacation in the US.
It's a shame that I only get to see this series almost a decade after it premiered. other people might be nostalgic about seeing these episodes again, but I've just seen them for the first time.

Bones Justice

Bring on the noise!
Great movie, lousy extras

I already owned the import VCD of this movie so I was reluctant to buy it. But I found it for $1.44 new on Amazon.com through the buy it used & new section so how could I pass it up? The picture quality of the DVD is good but then the VCD version is MPEG-2, also. Well, it's nice to have a version without Chinese subtitles.

It goes without saying that the movie is great but I'll say it anyways. :D

Now for the extras:

The character bios are nice, I suppose, but way too short. We get some teaser clips from other episodes with the Superman theme playing. The clips have sound effects but all of the dialogue has been cut. And did I say short? If set to play all at once, you can go through the bios section in about five minutes. I don't even think I'd really call them character bios anyways since there is no definitions, list of powers, dates, etc. It's more like a mini-highlight film for each of the main characters in the story.

The "How to draw Superman" short is okay. But again, it's about five minutes long! You get to see how the artist draws Supes head and shoulders plus a he gives a little insight on the design theory. Nothing wrong with it but you won't really learn how to draw Superman from it, other than his head maybe. I would have preferred a little more insight into the story itself. Actually, I'd prefer to have both. It's not like there isn't room on the DVD.

The "Escape from Krypton" game is a joke unless maybe you have never played a videogame before. And if you haven't then you probably aren't interested in vids anyways. There are three stages to the game. First, a very simple SIMON type game that only takes like two correct passes to move to the next level. I even tried goofing on purpose to see what would happen but after several obvious gaffes it just kept letting me retry. Second, a simple dodge game. You see a light flash on the left side, you press right, etc. This is no twitch game, either, you can respond very slowly. You only have to do this about five times to pass. Third, a simple code puzzle to launch the rocket to escape. Now, I didn't know the first time that you were supposed to "search" for clues. I went straight to the rocket. It only took me about six or seven guesses to get the correct code. Game Over, total playing time about five minutes.

Last, we get "trailers" which are just two advertisements. One is for Mystery of the Batwoman, the other for Justice League-Paradise Lost. Again, very short, not really an "extra" at all even if the DVD's are worth buying.

So again, great movie, lousy extras. You get about 15 minutes, some of which is crap or pure filler, piled upon a great movie. I know I would have much preferred to see three more half-hour episodes on this disc instead and have it released, oh, I dunno, how about -- YEARS AGO. There is no reason why I should be able to buy an official VCD overseas years ago on a domestic TV show that isn't released here. I also have the import VCD of the two-part "The Main Man" with Lobo -- how many years until WB decides to release this on DVD then?

I can forgive the lousy extras because of the low price. Even if you can't find a deal like I did, the $9 street price is very reasonable for this great film. My main gripe is with WB taking forever to release this domestically. There is no excuse for it because they could have cobbled these "extras" together over a weekend, at most. Or better yet, give us an extra 60-90 minutes of episodes from the series and just skip the extras altogether.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Okay, I'm dumb. I couldn't get through that stupid game. If it's as easy as Bony Justice says mine might be broken in the second level. I get through one laser beam and the second one is impossible to dodge. This wouldn't be a big deal but when I turn the DVD back on it goes straight to the stupid game screen where I left off instead of the menu screen which is annoying. I can just press the menu button on the remote to get there but still whenever I turn on the DVD it goes right back the middle of the stupid game. By the way I think the game is stupid. And just a bit stupid.

warmachine04

No Evil Shall Escape My Sight
Overall, "Superman" is a really good DVD purchase. For under $12, it's worth it. I liked the character bios with video clips. Similar to the ones in "Justice League: Justice on Trial".:D

Bones Justice

Bring on the noise!
Fone Bone said:
Okay, I'm dumb. I couldn't get through that stupid game.
It doesn't sound like it. If you were that dumb you wouldn't have even gotten to stage 2! Sounds more like a technical issue to me.

It sounds to me like your DVD player has some sort of "resume" function that saves your place. Most do, even my old laserdisc player has this function. So even when you start over, it remembers your last spot. Maybe you can find how to reset it in the owner's manual.

As for why you are having trouble passing stage 2, I dunno, maybe you do have a bad disc. Or maybe your remote has a bad button. And you realize that you can dodge up & down also?

It's not really worth the effort, though. :sad:

Your reward if you finish stage 2 & 3:

Stage 2 reward - you move on to stage 3. Stage 3 reward - you get to see a brief clip of the rocket launch, same one seen in the movie. That's all folks!

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Bones Justice said:
It doesn't sound like it. If you were that dumb you wouldn't have even gotten to stage 2! Sounds more like a technical issue to me.

It sounds to me like your DVD player has some sort of "resume" function that saves your place. Most do, even my old laserdisc player has this function. So even when you start over, it remembers your last spot. Maybe you can find how to reset it in the owner's manual.

As for why you are having trouble passing stage 2, I dunno, maybe you do have a bad disc. Or maybe your remote has a bad button. And you realize that you can dodge up & down also?

It's not really worth the effort, though. :sad:

Your reward if you finish stage 2 & 3:

Stage 2 reward - you move on to stage 3. Stage 3 reward - you get to see a brief clip of the rocket launch, same one seen in the movie. That's all folks!
I think it is a bad disc. I'm gonna check my owner's manual like you said and see if I can reset the darn thing. I don't care about the game but I would like to go straight to the menu screen when I turn on my player. Thanks for the advice!:)

Bones Justice

Bring on the noise!
warmachine04 said:
Overall, "Superman" is a really good DVD purchase. For under $12, it's worth it.
Agreed. Most places I've seen it for less than $10. Like I said before, the movie is excellent and is well worth that price without any extras. I would probably be expecting more if they were charging $19.95 for this disc.

And that's my point. The movie alone justifies a purchase at this price. So why the long delay in releasing it? They have had disc (digital) versions of this movie for sale in other countries for a long time, just not in the USA. Why? It's not like they are digitally remastering. Not that I care, as the picture quality is great already.

I completely understand that creating good extras takes time and money. The minimal extras on this disc do not justify either. My advice to WB is continue the low street price and stop wasting time and money on filler. Each disc should have at least four episodes though six would be better. And start releasing a new disc every month if you can't be bothered with a box set.

Better yet, just let Columbia House release this series, too. They have the right idea with Batman TAS.

Spider-Man

I tried to watch my copy of this DVD today but it seems as though it's no longer watchable. I'm considering buying a new copy of it (I like the episodes being put together as a movie for this) but did they ever re-release it in an Amaray case?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts