"Superman: Last Son of Krypton" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and post your comments on the "Last Son of Krypton" DVD

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • **** 1/2

Votes: 1 8.3%

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • *** 1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ** 1/2

• * 1/2

• 1/2

• Meh...I guess it's good just because it's STAS and on DVD.

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
Discover the origin of The Man of Steel!

Superman: Last Son of Krypton
February 3rd, 2003 - DVD Release.

Written by Paul Dini
Music by Harvey Cohen, Michael McCuistion, Lolita Ritmanis
Produced by Haven Alexander (executive), Alan Burnett, Paul Dini, Jean MacCurdy (associate), Bruce W. Timm
Directed by Curt Geda, Scott Jeralds, Dan Riba, Bruce W. Timm

The first three episodes of the hit series, Superman: The Animated Series arrives on DVD today, with bonus features and a complete transfer of the three-part episode, "Last Son of Krypton"

Comments?

Note: This thread is for discussing the DVD only. Please use this thread to talk about the episode "Last Son of Krypton".

R

Robin

I picked this up, but I haven't had time to go through the features yet. I found it for incredibly cheap, which was a nice surprise. I just had time to quickly pop it in, give it a quick spin, check out a few scenes, then take off. I should have more thorough thoughts on the release later on. Has anyone picked up this DVD release yet?

Hatter

I might pick this up, since I've never been able to see S:TAS here in Canada.

The Detective

It's out? I'll have to remember it pick it up, too bad it doesn't look like it has any decent extras. Oh well, it will just be nice to get some STAS episodes on DVD.

EJill34

I thought that this DVD was a nice little package, especially since I got it for just $9.99 at Best Buy. The episodes themselves are great and it was very much nostalgic for me considering that I haven't seen them since '96. The special features are nothing to brag about but are more than what I'd expected. The How to Draw Superman is actually a little featurette with James Tucker. I thought it was going to be the same How to Draw Batman/Superman from the Batman/Superman Movie disc! There are also these little clips in the Character Bios section (similar to the ones on the Paradise Lost and Out of the Shadows DVDs) which were a nice little bonus.

All in all a worthwhile DVD, though I'm sure everyone on this board would have preferred a box set of the complete first season.

Special Features: ***
Episodes: *****
Overall: ****

Dr Kain

Um, I asked a question on this on Sunday, and before the topic got locked, there was no known release date. Thanks for the info guys, now if I only had money to spare for this.

What is the date for the Batman Beyond dvds?

Jor-El

Krypton is doomed.
Dr Kain said:
What is the date for the Batman Beyond dvds?
March 2.

Thanks for the tip, GMahler, about getting it at Best Buy. I'll probably head out there this weekend.

R

Robin

The release is just about what I expected. The only real surprise came with the "How to Draw Superman" feature, which turne dout to be a short featurette with James Tucker. I was also glad to see a trailer for Batamn: Mystery of the Batwoman on the disc, something missing from the movie's actual release. Aside from that, this DVD gives us a fair release of the great opening Superman arc.

Batman49

Naked Snake Returns
Well, after going through a little trouble with the first dvd I bought on Tuesday which turned out to be defective, which I was able to return for a new one, I've finally watched this dvd. I also got it for cheap at Best Buy. One thing I must say is that the How to Draw Superman was a great little extra, a lot better than the ones on the Batman DVDs. As stated, it is actually a little short with James Tucker sharing his thoughts of Superman and how he draws him. I was pleasantly surprised. The DVD is not packed with extras but to be honest the extras have more footage than what the Batman dvds had although it doesn't have the Bruce Timm intro which i miss. Being a Superman TAS DVD though makes this a must have for me. I'm glad they have finally released some Superman TAS on dvd finally and I hope WB releases box set for season 1 at least soon. If anyone is on the fence about getting this DVD, get it, its good, not packed with a lot of extras but they are ok, and the fact that it is the first 3 episodes should be iimportant. I suggest getting it now while it is $9.99 at Best Buy.:D

Jimbo

Target also carries the DVD for $9.99.

I am also happy that the WB hasn't forgotten about the Superman series.

For the price of the DVD you cannot really go wrong, although the X-Men Evolution DVDs for $9.99 had better extras, I'm not complaining I bought this DVD for one thing only...Superman!

The only complaint I have is the same I had for the Batman dvds as there are noticable scratches here and there that could have benefited from some digital remastering.

This along with "The Batman Superman Movie" gives the fans 6 episodes so far on DVD.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Did anyone else have trouble with the "Escape From Krypton" game? I don't buy the DVDs for the games, really, but I have no clue how to play it. They have this lame Simon type thing at the beginning, and after you get through that you're riding in the hovercar with no way to dodge the beams on the third pass. Or is there? I couldn't figure it out.:eek:

The DVD was still pretty good though. "The Last Son of Krypton" is a great trio of eps and the perfect way to start the series. The animation in the third act is incredible and Tim Daly is just perfect. My favorite scene is when Lois gives Bibbo some change to call Clark if there's an emergency and he spends it on soder. "She'll be okay." LOL!

The battle at the end was incredible as was Superman silently floating outside Luthor's office. After realizing he can't be bought Luthor yells "Say something!" Great stuff.

The "How to Draw Superman" doc was cool. I was surprised James Tucker actually addressed the controversial descision to not put the "S" on Supe's cape. People have been complaining about that for years.

The bios were great. The VO narration was lame but the little animated video clips they did of each character were spiffy. Watching Superman's theme going during his bio while he fights his worst enemies brought back pleasant memories and made me lament that the rest of this series isn't on DVD. I think WHV would be surprised at how well "Superman", "Batman Beyond", and "Justice League" DVD box sets would sell.

Movie: *****
Extras:*** 1/2
Overall: ****

The Detective

I found it at Wal Mart for $8.88. It's great to see STAS on DVD finally. The features were a bit lacking but I did enjoy the James Tucker featurette thingy. Overall not the greatest but I'm just glad to have the episodes. I just wish WB would QUIT PUTTING THESE RETARDED GAMES ON THE DVDS! They're nothing but a waste of space.

Anarky

Team Conan
humbug: this is just another one of those "short attention span"/ "attention defecit disorder"/ one-hour babysitters that soccer moms toss into the cart to quiet their demon seeds.

kid: waah waah waah, i want supermaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!
mom: FINE! (slams it into the cart)
mom: put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
kid: i love you mommy

WB is coming around, they are releasing box sets of Looney Tunes, The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, & Samurai Jack. Batman and Superman can't be far behind. Superman Season One would rock: Toyman, Metallo, Brainiac, Parasite, Darkseid, Lobo...not to mention "A Little Piece of Home" and "My Girl".

i'll probably pick it up anyway. believe it or not, the only recorded copy i have of this trilogy is the WB premiere, hosted by Nick Freno (remember that gimp!). sadly the tracking is way off, hence unwatchable.

R

Robin

I hate to admit it, but I tried the game on the disc and it wasn't as bad as most of these games have been. It wasn't the "pick a/pick b" type of game, but a game that had a few stages. It just seemed like a low tier game. It took no time to play, and really adds nothing to the disc. It's a pretty morbid game when you think of it, too.

Zebi

Take off, eh!
I'm planning on picking up this DVD when I'm out tomorrow, but I do have a question about the "How to Draw Superman" feature: Is this a step-by-step guide on how to draw the character?

My niece got a ton of use out of the "How to Draw Spirit" feature on the Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron DVD (she has spent hours using it), and I think she may enjoy Last Son of Krypton even more if it's "how to draw" feature is similar. I was really disappointed that the "How to Draw Batman" features were so rushed - they wouldn't be of much use to a 10 year old.

The Detective

Dr. Octopus said:
I'm planning on picking up this DVD when I'm out tomorrow, but I do have a question about the "How to Draw Superman" feature: Is this a step-by-step guide on how to draw the character?

My niece got a ton of use out of the "How to Draw Spirit" feature on the Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron DVD (she has spent hours using it), and I think she may enjoy Last Son of Krypton even more if it's "how to draw" feature is similar. I was really disappointed that the "How to Draw Batman" features were so rushed - they wouldn't be of much use to a 10 year old.
Well it's just his upper body and head. It's not like a super detailed thing but it's definately not one of those short rushed things like the ones that have been on some of the other DVDs.

Zebi

Take off, eh!
The Detective said:
Well it's just his upper body and head. It's not like a super detailed thing but it's definately not one of those short rushed things like the ones that have been on some of the other DVDs.
That's still cool. :) I'm thinking of loaning my niece the DVD to see if she likes it or not before I'd consider getting her a copy. She's not really big on superhero shows, but she might enjoy this one; especially if there's a "how to draw" lesson on the DVD.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Asa
My Babysitter's a Vampire will release on HBO Max later this year

Could we be getting more Fresh TV content on the service in the future?
harry580 wrote on trfan's profile.
hi, turning red fan, I like turning red too
after watching Dr. Strange 2. I'm glad Sam Raimi gets to direct another film and put his filmmaking trademarks in their but at the same time It's still another manufactured Marvel movie and they got to hit certain beats or else audiences wouldn't like it.

I don't know if it's me getting tired of superhero films or me getting older and growing out of them and want to expand my movie tastes
I wonder if Mattel is going to make an animated Masters of the Universe project that includes the Sun Man and the Rulers of the Sun characters? It would be....interesting to see Pighead and Skeletor team up to fight their respective heroes.
I really wish greenlit the GKND!

Featured Posts