"Superman Doomsday" Feature Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate and Comment on This Feature - [i]Superman Doomsday[/i]!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Welcome to Part I of the ongoing discussion on Superman Doomsday! Click here to read Part II!

Where were you the day Superman died?

Superman Doomsday

Release Date: September 18th, 2007

Story by: Duane Capizzi and Bruce Timm
Screenplay by: Duane Capizzi
Directed by: Bruce Timm, Lauren Montgomery and Brandon Vietti

Synopsis: The most shocking showdown in Superman history! When Lexcorp accidentally unearths the intergalactic serial killer Doomsday, Superman battles the creature head on in the fight of his life...literally. The world collectively mourns their fallen hero; humanity realizes it will never feel truly safe again. Superman's enemies rejoice all but Lex Luthor, who grieves the loss in his own demented manner, setting off a chilling chain of events that even he couldn't have foreseen. Inspired by the bestselling graphic novel of all time, DC Comics' The Death of Superman, this feature-length animated adventure boasts exciting action sequences that rivals anything you've ever seen starring the Man of Steel!

Related Threads:
-Superman Doomsday DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman Doomsday Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman/Doomsday Feature Review (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Death of Superman Classic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: World Without A Superman Classic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Return of Superman Classic Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman/Doomsday Graphic Novel Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Death and Return of Superman Hardcover Talkback (Spoilers)
-Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Edition DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
-The Death and Return of Superman Classic Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: View and discuss Superman Doomsday in Part II of this discussion thread!

mr.happy

Feb 2, 2006
here
Hmm, guess I'm the first one here. I haven't been following all the various DCAU shows very closely, but I absolutely loved this one. As cool as the fight and action scenes are, Anne Heche's scene with Ma Kent is just gold.

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
May 1, 2001
Ohio
Visit site
Hmm, guess I'm the first one here. I haven't been following all the various DCAU shows very closely, but I absolutely loved this one. As cool as the fight and action scenes are, Anne Heche's scene with Ma Kent is just gold.
Wow. If you liked it, must be good. So its worth buying? I've been concerned by what appeared to be a lack of blood (based on the trailer), which seemed odd given the bloody nature of the fight in the comics (as well as their use of the bleeding S shield for promotion). I'd been fearing we'd get something watered down. Not the case?

SaBaWoJuLe

Mar 11, 2007
On an island
In every single review posted from WF to anywhere else, there hasn't been ONE SINGLE negetive comment nor review on this. Everyone who managed to see this either at Con '07 or with an early DVD release had a blast watching it.

So yeah, get it.

mr.happy

Feb 2, 2006
here
Wow. If you liked it, must be good. So its worth buying? I've been concerned by what appeared to be a lack of blood (based on the trailer), which seemed odd given the bloody nature of the fight in the comics (as well as their use of the bleeding S shield for promotion). I'd been fearing we'd get something watered down. Not the case?
I think there's plenty of blood. Maybe even a little too much at one stage. :) It certainly has some of the most violent and prolonged battles I have ever seen in a cartoon of this kind.

I'd say it's definitely worth buying, although I wouldn't take my appreciation for it as a universal stamp of approval, since I'm not all that familiar with the various animated series, and some diehard fans might find certain issues with it. I would definitely expect certain fans of the comics to object to how different it was from the comic version.

Although it's a somewhat unfair comparison, I enjoyed this much more than SR.

C

Clark Kent

I really liked this movie! I learned about the movie here and joined up afterwards but now I can post about the movie! I thought it was just an excellent movie and was very exciting. If I had any complaint it would be that sometimes Superman looks weird with his new design but it is easy to look over! I think all Superman fans will love this movie! It's just a fun movie from start to finish!

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
May 1, 2001
Ohio
Visit site
I would definitely expect certain fans of the comics to object to how different it was from the comic version.
That's a reaction I'm seeing at amazon.com. A lot of people complaining about how it differs from the comics, which doesn't seem entirely fair.

The other major criticism, and this caught my attention more, was over the voice-acting. I'm hoping that's mostly due to being used to the actors on STAS, as opposed to the quality of the new voicing actually being bad. Any comments on the that?

Reviews have been very favorable, so I'm finding my fears allayed. I'll probably wait for more detailed comments to be posted here, though, before heading out to buy it.

mr.happy

Feb 2, 2006
here
The other major criticism, and this caught my attention more, was over the voice-acting. I'm hoping that's mostly due to being used to the actors on STAS, as opposed to the quality of the new voicing actually being bad. Any comments on the that?
I think it's more or less the same problem whatshisname faced when he took over from Tim Daly as Superman. People are very resistant to change when it comes to their favorite heroes and characters. I think the roles were well cast, everybody did a good job, and like I mentioned earlier, Heche in particular has at least one absolutely outstanding scene.

Basically, this is not STAS, this is not JLU, and it's not really an animated version of the comic, but you would have to take that sort of narrow-minded approach to suggest that this was in any way bad. If you can just distance yourself from expectations like that and enjoy it for what it is, it's one of the best DCAU movies ever produced, if not the best.

mr.happy

Feb 2, 2006
here
Yes But is it better than Marvel's DVT'S?
In my opinion, yes, no question about it. I haven't watched the Dr Strange one, but I thought the Ultimate Avengers movies were a bit so-so, certainly the first one, and I didn't even finish watching Iron Man.

Jeremiah

Jul 24, 2007
K-town
From what i've heard(and seen) DC'S Animated adaptions of characters alway's have more action. which is a shame because just think how much cooler The Ultimate Avenger's DVT could have been if the whole film was like the 3rd act with the Hulk battle. What rating did this new Superman DVT get I assume a PG-13. Hopefully it is much more deserving of one than the first Ultimate Avenger's.

Oh and does Kevin Smith have a role in this new Superman Feature? Because if he does this movie for me just went from a rent to buy!!!:)

BCVM22

Mar 13, 2002
Somewhere
Visit site
Oh and does Kevin Smith have a role in this new Superman Feature? Because if he does this movie for me just went from a rent to buy!!!:)
A character voiced by Smith makes a very brief cameo and some sort of in-joke involving the movie script he wrote that was never produced. I definitely would not call it the sole reason to spend $20 on the movie.

Jeremiah

Jul 24, 2007
K-town
Oh yeah well he is the reason i bought The TMNT movie. Besides The movie was almost a buy for me before but his voice boosted it up all the way to a buy!!!!

Jeremiah

Jul 24, 2007
K-town
If $20 for a few lines of dialogue revs your engine, then by all means, vroom vroom yourself to your heart's content.
I like superman therefore I wanted to rent it to see if i like it enough to spend my money on buying it. then i found out Kevin smith was in it So from there it went from a rent to a buy! ok!

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
I managed to pick up this DVD early this morning and it was a great movie. I don't think I've seen animation this excellent since the early days of Superman: The Animated Series. I thought that last summer's Brainiac Attacks had great animation but this easily takes the cake. The animation and design of Superman and his costume was amazing and the climactic fight between him and his clone was amazing. The best fight belonged to the slugfest between Superman and Doomsday though. It was absolutely amazing. Doomsday came across as a genuine threat! I think every Superman fan will enjoy it. The movie is definately rooted in the action-film genre so it may not be as emotional as some fans hope. But that is just my first impressions. I plan to watch this again so I can get a better hold on the movie.

SaBaWoJuLe

Mar 11, 2007
On an island
Let me tell you this: Marvel's DTVs are PG-13, but they're what a PG-13 movie would be. It's more along the lines are PG. Sure, a mature word here, something "mature" there, but the fact that they said they were PG-13 is more of a lie. With this DTV, they PG-13 and they mean it. PG-13 for the action violence primary, couple of swears, and how the relationship between Lois & Clark/Superman is approached.

So yeah it's MORE, but unlike Marvel's "PG-13" DTVs, this IS PG-13.

Great.

Jeremiah

Jul 24, 2007
K-town
I wish Marvel would grow a pair and make a Hardcore PG-13 DVT. I love Marvel but C'mon. I suppose though that the DVT'S are a step up from not being able to throw a punch in the 1990's Spider-Man cartoon.But I digress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Fone Bone grips stuffed Elmo tightly and rocks back and forth. Just hold out until November. Things will get better. They'll have to.
Current events are freaking terrifying me.

She's only a teenager (she's either 13 or 14; I've seen contradictory sources), yet is really making a name for herself in college.