"Superman: Brainiac Attacks" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Post Your Thoughts on "Superman: Brainiac Attacks"

• Total voters

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I can't believe that in 13 years I never came across this article interviewing Curt Geda about the movie: Director Talks Superman: Brainiac Attacks | Animation Magazine. This article declares the film to be "a feature length continuation of the popular 1996 show, Superman: The Animated Series".

But regardless, something that I've always maintained is that if a person doesn't want to treat this movie as a part of the show, then why maintain that any thing of part of the DCAU? Maybe tomorrow someone will decide that Mystery of the Batwoman isn't a part of DCAU. Barbara Gordon had already graduated college when TNBA started. Yet, somehow in MOTB, she's magically in college again. Or someone will disregard the Static Shock crossovers, so that they can claim that show isn't a part of the DCAU. This is why I say that the statement of the movie being "not in continuity" means nothing to me. Like it or not, it's a Superman: The Animated Series movie, whether it fits in with the continuity of the show or not.

I read the link, and to be fair, the description of being a continuation was not the words of the interviewee, Curt Geda. That could be the writer's interpretation of the situation, which could be right or wrong.

My personal take is that Brainiac Attacks occurs in a similar-but-different parallel universe to the one in the animated series. Or it's something like other cartoon universes like Tom & Jerry where the events of one episode have little to nothing to do with another episode.

Dallas Kinard

Personally, I enjoy the heck out of BA. It's a fun action romp through the DCAU and gives me the same sense of nostalgia as it's prequel series, TNSA. It makes for a good bridge between TNSA and JL if you ask me.

Ed Nygma

I like this movie well enough for what it is, but by no means is Mystery of the Batwoman "absolutely" in canon and this one isn't. Both are frankly terrible with awful animation and contradictions (Barbara would NOT still be in college). However, the simplest answer is the best- they brought back the animation models and OG voice actors for both with some exceptions. BA is canon, or neither this nor MotB are. They kind of go hand in hand, and remember that WB didn't even include it as part of the BTAS blu-ray set.

I find it really silly though when certain parties pontificate that BA is totally not, but go out of their way to stuff something horrible like Batman & Harley Quinn in because "Bruce Timm said" and their OCD can't handle it.

Remember, this drone was HEAVILY damaged before "meeting" Luthor. Also, as I've stated, it's not far fetched to assume Lex is simply playing coy during that conversation. It can be interpreted both ways.
It also occurs to me, if this takes place after the entirety of STAS, Luthor ia suffering from the affects of the kryptonite poisoning, which would affect his mental state. Come on, even the JL version where he becomes a supercriminal and puts on the green power suit was "out of character" to his previous portrayal.

At the end of the day, it's a terrible movie, but so is Mystery of the Batwoman and even more largely so, Batman & Harley Quinn. People arguing that everything BUT Brainiac Attacks is "canon" seemingly have nothing better to do than try to push content for their own soapboxes.

Mod Note: Double post merged

Last edited by a moderator:

Dallas Kinard

I like this movie well enough for what it is, but by no means is Mystery of the Batwoman "absolutely" in canon and this one isn't. Both are frankly terrible with awful animation and contradictions (Barbara would NOT still be in college). However, the simplest answer is the best- they brought back the animation models and OG voice actors for both with some exceptions. BA is canon, or neither this nor MotB are. They kind of go hand in hand, and remember that WB didn't even include it as part of the BTAS blu-ray set.

I find it really silly though when certain parties pontificate that BA is totally not, but go out of their way to stuff something horrible like Batman & Harley Quinn in because "Bruce Timm said" and their OCD can't handle it.

It also occurs to me, if this takes place after the entirety of STAS, Luthor ia suffering from the affects of the kryptonite poisoning, which would affect his mental state. Come on, even the JL version where he becomes a supercriminal and puts on the green power suit was "out of character" to his previous portrayal.

At the end of the day, it's a terrible movie, but so is Mystery of the Batwoman and even more largely so, Batman & Harley Quinn. People arguing that everything BUT Brainiac Attacks is "canon" seemingly have nothing better to do than try to push content for their own soapboxes.

Mod Note: Double post merged
I agree. I disagree it's a terrible movie though. Personally, I enjoy all three of those films you mentioned to varying degrees. But I totally agree with everything else. BA can absolutely be canon if one wants it to. Not much stretching needed.

powerjake

It was apparently cost-effective to recycle the character and set designs.

That was still lazy of Warner Bros to make it look like that in the first place, even worse the trailer made it feel like it was a true DCAU Superman: The Animated Series movie.

It was one of the worst scams ever!.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

This cell was owned by June Foray.

Today is officially my 19th birthday!
The birthday thread is not updated since RegularCapital's birthday. If someone wants to greet, go to that thread.
Asa
Finally started playing Mario Sunshine on Nintendo Switch after many years.

I never got to finish the whole game as a kid, so I'll be able to finish it for the first time, ever :D.
So, the new Crispy Chicken Sandwich at McDonald's is just a glorified and more expensive version of the McChicken...without mayonnaise. But wait! If you pay more for the DELUXE Crispy Chicken sandwich, you CAN get mayonnaise :rolleyes:
harry580 wrote on ShadowBlinky's profile.
hey, I like your profile pic because Horton hears a who is my favorite movie

Featured Posts