"Supergirl" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

hobbyfan

Tyler Hoechlin (Superman) has been busy with movies, two of which are now in post-production, and that might explain why he hasn't been around this season. That said, it does seem like the writers had to work around that obstacle when they could've saved Reign for next season, and let Samantha & Ruby develop over the entirety of the season. You know what they say about penny-wise & pound foolish? I'd say Team Berlanti was 10 pounds foolish up to this point.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
supergirltb.jpg
"Fort Rozz"
Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
Supergirl teams up with Saturn Girl, and the two recruit Supergirl’s former enemies, Livewire and Psi, to form a team for a mission to Fort Rozz to recover a prisoner.

hobbyfan

Man, I didn't see that coming. Livewire is killed off, when she could've been a valuable ally going forward. Maybe she'll be used in a movie down the road?

Alex bonds with Ruby, then Samantha discloses that she's "losing time", meaning she has no memory of what she does as Reign, kind of like the early days of the Hulk/Bruce Banner 65 years ago.

And now, there's Purity. And Pestilence? Is there a 4th Horsewoman of the Apocalypse nigh? No WWE/UFC jokes, please.

There is potential for Psi to be a heroine to make up for the loss of Livewire. Not much, but it's there.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Supergirl "Fort Rozz"

All right.

I sort of am a little alarmed at Brainiac 5's behavior. He's overthinking things. Cartoonishly so. Perhaps if he were truly a 12th level intellect, he would surmise there is an actual reason Supergirl is still alive and kicking with only this "primitive" technology at her disposal. He's using a Sonic Screwdriver to electronically manipulate a nail, when whacking it with a hammer will do.

But the thing that bugs me most about Brainy is Mon-El simply telling Winn to let it go when he goes into a fit. Is that the Legion? Brainy acts like a whiny child and nobody in the future is brave enough to call him on it because dealing with the behavior like adults would makes them uncomfortable? I don't see why Winn should be expected to be such a pushover just because Mon-El and Imra clearly are.

Mon-El's perspective that Livewire's sad fate wasn't a failure by Supergirl, but a success, is an interesting one. I'm not sure I agree. But it was quite rewarding to hear Livewire declare Supergirl her friend to Reign anyways

What Alex did for Ruby by going to that kid's house was funny, but it made me really uncomfortable for some reason. It struck me as crossing an adult / child boundary line. That's all modern kids and adults seem to do on TV nowadays (thanks for nothing, Gilmore Girls) but it doesn't strike me as the least bit healthy for either the kid or the adult.

Decent episode, but it wasn't great. ***.

Dudley

Staff member
Jeez, I wish they didn’t kill off Livewire. Didn’t she become a hero in the comics at one point. She could’ve been one here.

And I see Braniac-5’s going to be the arrogant genius in the show. Hopefully he’ll use some future tech to help out instead of putting everyone down.

Wait...doesn’t Saturn Girl have telepathy? Why did we need Psi? Added suspense in drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
supergirltb.jpg
"For Good"
Monday, January 29, 2018 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
When Lena fears her hatred for Morgan will take her to the Luthor dark side, Kara steps in to help her friend.

hobbyfan

Ok, didn't expect Lillian to return, but the fact that she & Lena are still at loggerheads tells us they are bent on keeping Lena on the side of the angels. For now, anyway.

Morgan Edge gets taken down, but James has to be careful not to make it too personal.

Nice spot with Kara putting down the doorman with just an elbow to the ribs, and a reference to the societal issues that sent Andrew Kreigsberg out the door.

Thought for sure we'd see either Alex or Kara discover that Samantha is Reign, but that reveal won't be until probably during the sweeps that starts later this week. That Alex was able to draw blood tells us Sam may not be entirely Kryptonian after all.

Supergirl vs. Purity next week. Meh.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Edge's confession under duress would never stand up in court (or at least it shouldn't).
Considering Barry Allen went to jail despite piles of evidence he was innocent suggests the Berlantiverse isn't much interested in realistic legal drama.

Supergirl "For Good"

The beginning of the episode told me I'd hate it. And then I didn't. But I do have nits. We'll get to them.

I would have laughed my butt off if after the scene at the end where Winn asks Supergirl how she knows the woman in the photo is one of the world-killers, and she says "I just do," if he said to her, "Dude, profiling!" and J'onn rolled his eyes. That woulda been a good joke.

Interestingly Reign can have blood drawn and pass a blood test. It is possible she is human so long as she is in her Samantha persona?

Lexosuit! Honestly, I would not be as apologetic as Winn upon declaring it awesome. It IS awesome. Can't legitimately get mad at a dude for stating a fact.

I missed the "Alex had a job in Seattle" thing until somebody else pointed it out.

Now to the dumb stuff:

I think Edge thinking Lena just tried to kill him was stupid. If he thought that, he's dumb. It would have been beyond sloppy. She was near his car and they just had a very public fight. Maybe Edge doesn't put much thought into how he kills people, but Luthors are the types of people who put some distance between murder and themselves to give themselves plausible deniability. Just because Edge is dumb enough to try to poison Lena when he's in the middle of a public feud with her, doesn't mean she's dumb enough to do the same thing.

One of the conceits of the show is it's okay if nobody know Kara is Supergirl so long as nobody gets a good look at Supergirl. But Lena actually did wrap-up with the character tonight. How can she not tell this chick and her best friend are the same person? I fully expect Lena to be the type of person who is flummoxed by the Twelfth Doctor when he's dressed a custodian. "What, you saw though my brilliant disguise?" This is getting outright stupid.

But I like the episode much more than I predicted I would. Probably because the Lexosuit is awesome, and there nothing shameful about recognizing that. ***1/2.

Last edited:

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Supergirl is almost over. Talk about it here.

supergirltb.jpg
"Both Sides Now"
Monday, February 5, 2018 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
The DEO captures a second Worldkiller, Purity. Supergirl and Alex use very different methods of interrogation with Purity in the hopes of finding out how to defeat Reign.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Supergirl "Both Sides Now"

It's official. I hate Alex. And I wasn't even aware I did until this episode.

I was extremely disturbed that the DEO used an armed SWAT team to bust down Julia's door, and pointed their guns are her, despite the fact that at that point, she hadn't committed any crimes. The worst thing she did was be in a dream. That's disturbing enough.

But later on, even if Supergirl is wrong about Julia (and she's not), Alex is the worst person ever for undercutting everything Supergirl is trying to do in her interrogation. Supergirl is trying to build trust, and every time a crack forms in Julia, Alex steps in and threatens to dissect her. I mean, seriously? Dissection? I think Alex is a very warped person if her perspective is that Purity is evil and she is not. That was absolutely sick. I think both J'onn and Kara should have been personally offended by that. J'onn didn't hear it, but if I were Kara I'd be like, "Is that what you think should happen to aliens deep down? Have you always thought that? Are I and J'onn some of "the good ones" who don't deserve that? Be specific in which aliens do, please. And most importantly, how long have to been a total genocidal monster who supports Nazi tactics? Just curious." The fact that Kara takes Alex's side at one point after that shows the writers are entirely fudged up.

And she's all, "We tried it your way, now we're doing it mine." No, we didn't try it Kara's way, Alex, because you kept sabotaging her. It is far easier to blow up an interrogation on purpose, than to actually get someone on your side by working at it. Alex sucks at her job.

And it never occurs to Alex that Purity might have have a hidden agenda in claiming Julia was act? Because if Julia is NOT an act, that means she can be reached. And that's bad for both Purity and Reign. It never occurred to Alex she's lying about that because it's in her best interest to lie about that?

I think it strikes me as a bit of a cop-out at this stage of the game to reveal that Mon-El's marriage to Imra was arranged. That should have come up immediately. Specifically, that should have been the first thing Mon-El told Kara to make her feel better. But this reeks of a retcon.

J'onn is right about something. There is nothing wrong or bad about Mon-El's romantic feelings towards Kara. It's keeping them from Imra that is wrong and bad. And that is very wise advice. I don't agree (at all) that couples need to share everything with each other. But this is clearly eating Mon-El alive, and that's the type of thing that needs to be shared.

Lena seems to be trying to normalize Sam's actions with Ruby, but the kid is smart enough to know better. It is NOT all right. There is something very wrong with her mother, and the other adults refuse to accept that.

Lena claims in the very last scene that she knows what is wrong with Sam, and that she knows how to help her. Which raises three alarming questions for me: 1. Does she? 2. Can she? 3. And will she? The fact that the jury is actually out on ALL three of those questions concerns me.

Is it possible Imra's actual secret involves bringing Kara back to the future? Is that why she didn't tell Mon-El? Because he'd object? Has she decided to let him in on it because she assumes that his rekindled feelings would make it so he'd WANT her in the future? My bet is that the answer to all of these questions is "Yes.".

The episode sucked so much because Alex does. *.

hobbyfan

Actually, it is the fault of the two writers, both of whom appear to be new to the creative team. This was badly written in several aspects. Cinema Blend is claiming that this is another tease of Lena going to the family dark side in that final scene with Sam. The writers ignored the fact that we have to wait two months for the resolutions from this episode.

It again reinforces my belief that they are not plotting everything out before the season begins. My brother tried to explain that away by saying it has to do with casting. What do you guys think?

beyond94

KateWalsh.jpg
Ms. Gsptlsnz 2.png
I understand that were still into season 3 that is a bit dark in tone like last season. However I like to see season 4 go into the less dark tone and still have the action and drama that the shows premise is about. One of situations I like to see in a season 4 episode is a little bit comedic and with some elements of action and danger. So far we seen really talented women like Lynda Carter Calista Flockhart Brenda Strong and Laurie Metcalf on the series. In season 4 I'd really like to see the show runners add actress #KateWalsh of #PrivatePractice fame to the big special guest star talent as Mr Mxyzptlk's female counterpart #MsGsptlsnz.. The writers could make her
a truly fun evil adversary in the area of Flash's Trickster villain that Mark Hamill does so well . I love to see Miss Walsh who is truly funny in her own right could honestly portray that kind of villain who laughs a lot and wants get back at Supergirl for messing with her man Mxyzptlk. It would be a really fun episode for season 4 and hopefully we see Kate Walsh again if the Ms. Gsptlsnz character could be a recurring one. Would you like to see Kate Walsh on Supergirl going face to face with Melissa Benoist?

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Mrs. Toyman? Toywoman? Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

supergirltb.jpg
"Schott Through the Heart"
Monday, April 16, 2018 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
When Winn’s father dies, his estranged mother, Mary, reappears trying to reconnect and to explain why she abandoned him all those years ago.

hobbyfan

Karaoke night. I guess this makes up for not doing a musical episode of The Flash this year.

Laurie Metcalf (Roseanne) visits as Winn's estranged mom, and we get a happy ending with some mother-son bonding. Sorry to see Toyman get killed off, but this "protege" of his was a real loser. Just a little deranged, no substance. In other words, just another throw-away.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Supergirl "Schott Through The Heart"

I liked the episode, probably because it didn't really deal with the Reign and Lena stuff, which I find tiring. But the fact that I'm glad that they did a standalone makes me realize this season's arc must outright suck for me to feel that way. Standalones are supposed to annoy me, and the arcs are supposed to excite me. It should not be the other way around. The fact that it is tells me this is a very bad season and will have a lousy finale.

But I enjoyed this episode. I love that Winn feels like the d-word of the year when his mother reveals to him that the so-called aborted trip to Disneyland was actually her fleeing with him to an abused woman's shelter. Not only does it prove her story, but it actually explains what happened, which is the reason Winn now knows it is true. He has no reason to believe his mother when she says she left because his father threatened to kill him. With that revelation, he now does.

I like that he plays the proper headgames for Toyman's ex into having no showmanship, and think she could just off Winn with a gun. The truth is, the fact that she took the "always close" aspect of Toyman, instead of the "make a show of it" aspect, shows she was a pretty lousy apprentice, and never got his deal. Because the showmanship thing IS the deal, and the always closing thing is secondary. By design. You can't just shoot Toyman's wife and son and expect him to be looking up from Hell with pride. She was ultimately a lousy student.

Flying monkeys are about a 2. Sounds about right.

I love J'onn and his father talking to Alex about their experiences as black men, and it's kind of provocative that J'onn keeps the Henshaw guise when he no longer needs to. It's a bit empowering too.

I am unsurprised J'onn's father has dementia. That is how Lumbly has always played him. The genius thing is that I had confused that for mere culture shock and a joke at his expense. But he truly has a hard time grasping things which makes me feel better about him. He is not simply a tool. He is someone who is genuinely struggling. I prefer that notion to him simply being a dumb guy.

Mehcad Brooks and Chyler Leigh are surprisingly great singers. They should have been in the Music Meister episode. Just sayin'.

Mon-El's revelation about Imra both confuses me and angers me. Part of me is relieved the secret isn't sinister, like a plan to bring Kara back to the future. But after that build-up, I shouldn't allowed to be relieved. It actually needed to be something bad. Which is why it was dumb they sold it like was. Because the idea of Pestilence becoming Blight and them preventing that IS an interesting one, and I shouldn't have to feel disappointed with it. And if they hadn't framed it as a near betrayal, the idea would excite me.

For the record, is Imra REALLY sure she wants to prevent Blight? For all she knows Blight is the reason there is a Legion of Super Heroes in the first place. Changing an event that big so far in her past is reckless, and could negatively change things she doesn't intend to. There is a reason killing Hitler never goes well on The Twilight Zone. And it's not like the Arrowverse doesn't engage in that specific trope all the time. It is not only the entire idea behind Flashpoint, but not changing history in a major way is a major theme on Legends of Tomorrow too. I can sort of picture Barry Allen or Sara Lance telling Saturn Girl to slow her roll. I sincerely hope this is a controversy that comes up. Because if this show is going to share a continuity (if not a Universe) with Earth 1, it should probably be following the rules established. Am I crazy in thinking that?

I am happy I like the episode. I am unhappy in realizing it's one of the few episodes this year I have liked. ****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts