"Supergirl" Season Three Talkback (Spoilers)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's the perception people have that they are pushing an agenda. Like you, I don't see anything wrong with it, as this is just a case of how Hollywood is acknowledging how society has moved forward in recent times. There are too many people with hard hearts who don't want it included with genre shows like Supergirl, but in the 21st century, that's what we have, and that's how it is.
If that is the case that's too bad for the people who don't like it. Maybe they are the ones who have to adjust their opinions, not us.

reflection01

If Captain Singh and Joe have been working together for a long time, Singh has known Iris longer than he's known Barry. And he definitely likes Iris more than Barry.

The fact that this show revolves around an interracial couple and that each CW show features interracial couples shows times change.

Kinda crazy for people to accept the idea of multiple Earths but not understand that a show can represent realties and experiences different their own.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Midseason finale! Tonight at 8 p.m. ET on The CW.

supergirltb.jpg
"Reign"
Monday, December 4, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
Supergirl investigates a mysterious symbol popping up all over National City, tracing its origins back to an ancient prophecy and the mark of the World Killer, Reign.

hobbyfan

Didn't think Coville would be back this quick, but apparently Chad Lowe was needed to move the story along. Whee.

So Reign starts off as a murderous vigilante willing to take the steps that Kara can't to dispense justice. So she goes after Edge. Oh, that's fun.

Lena & Jimmy under the mistletoe. Who'dathunk?

Ok, Reign wears a mask so we can't see it's Samantha. Meh. Voice sounds slightly amplified with minor feedback modulation. Meh. Reign & Kara fight to the beat of "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree". Cute. Kara being left for dead? Not so much.

Supergirl returns January 15, so we've got a 5 week break. Whee.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Supergirl "Reign"

Much to unload here. Let's get started.

Imra is not helping. At all. This would be SO much easier if she were a b-word. What Kara needs right now is somebody to hate and blame. And Imra is too amazing to fault. She is totally screwing with Kara's grieving process right now. I mean, if this isn't actually Imra's fault, than that just means Kara's misery is random and pointless. And there is no worse kind of misery than someone believing it happened to them bordered on the coincidental. Frankly, were I Kara, I might be more inclined to listen to Coville's religiosity. Because then this crap might actually MEAN something. And that's a straw I might want to grasp at.

I felt Kara complaining she was pretty was totally missing the mark. It's hard to believe that the episode where she makes that particular childish observation was written by two women, because it is completely irrelevant to how and why Kara should be suffering. If that's one of Kara's actual problems with her, I sympathize a LOT less with Kara and her value systems, than I would had she not even cared.

Speaking of Coville, his heart is in the right place, but he is too crazy to do Kara any good. Either that or he's stupid. Deep down, he can believe all of this religious stuff about the Kryptonians, but if he wants to give Kara a legitimate warning about something, he would do well to dial it down a few notches. This is information that Kara desperately needed. That she was inclined to disbelieve because of the religious rhetoric attached to it. Were I Coville and not bananas, I would have used a light touch, explained calmly what the situation was, and if asked, offered my opinion as to why it was happening. And it's because he isn't smart or sane enough to do that which is why Kara is not willing to take him seriously. He doesn't treat her like a real person. Which is why Kara doesn't care about what he thinks. And I almost don't blame her.

J'onn's father much prefers this warm brown water. And cocoa beats coffee. Every time.

I found it endearing that Winn just assumes that Hank doesn't know what Star Wars is, because one of the fabulous things about various incarnations of J'onn I've seen, is that he's a total Earth Pop-culture and junk food sponge. And that makes you love him more in that he's embraced the cheesier aspects of humanity, rather than things like great literature and religious texts. J'onn does NOT gravitate towards what the big shots on Earth consider important. And that makes him all the more relatable because I personally don't either. He likes Hall and Oates, not Mozart. I don't share THAT opinion, but I like that J'onn has it.

P.S. Shakespeare is boring and filled with plot holes. None of the problems Shakespeare's characters suffer through would even BE a problem if they had even a LICK of common sense. Discuss.

On that note, I was not bored by the episode. ****.

reflection01

So how did Supergirl get bloodied? Does Reign have kryptonite in her body or something?

hobbyfan

So how did Supergirl get bloodied? Does Reign have kryptonite in her body or something?

Reign is a Kryptonian, just like Kara. Only a fellow Kryptonian could draw blood from Supergirl, same as, say Zod could do that to Superman.

Road to Gotham

Nice fight scene between Reign and Supergirl.
But Supergirl inspires the LSH? That seems wrong on so many levels.
Did someone forgot there is a Legion Flight Ring in the Fortress of Solitude?
Which tells me Superman/Superboy has visited the future.

hobbyfan

Once again, the writers show their incompetence. On Earth-1, we can say Superman inspired the Legion. Unless Tyler Hochelin returns in the 2nd half this season, and there's no reason not to have him, this will be a big mistake creatively.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
There's also the possibility that Imra and Mon-El are b.s.ing Kara to make her feel better about a crappy situation. I would be very surprised if it DID turn out the Legion was formed because of Supergirl and not Superman. I get she probably inspired Mon-El but I don't buy the idea that he started the Legion himself. Why would he? Something else is going on and it seems to me to be unearned flattery.

Otaku-sempai

Once again, the writers show their incompetence. On Earth-1, we can say Superman inspired the Legion. Unless Tyler Hochelin returns in the 2nd half this season, and there's no reason not to have him, this will be a big mistake creatively.
It can't be both of them? Maybe in this continuity both Superman and his cousin serve as inspirations for the Legion.

hobbyfan

We'll know for sure in 5 weeks. But, please. Most of us here can write these shows better than the Berlantiverse staff.

hobbyfan

Seems there are quite a few people who are, as the kids say, butt-hurt over the fact that Supergirl will share space with Legends of Tomorrow beginning in February.

The plan is for Legends to air on Mondays from Feb. 12-April 9, with Supergirl returning from a 2 month hiatus on April 16, and finishing season 3 on June 18. Why is this? Because CW is unwilling to pull either Valor, which is losing viewers coming out of Supergirl, or the remake of Dynasty, even though that may also be losing some of Riverdale's audience on Wednesday nights. An online petition, predictably, has been mounted at change.org, directed at network President Mark Pedowitz.

The solution, really, is very simple. If Valor continues to under-perform when it & Supergirl return January 15, then wave good-bye, and put Legends on at 9.

I can't be the only rational one here, can I? What do you guys think?

Road to Gotham

Last edited:

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Midseason premiere! Right now on The CW.

supergirltb.jpg
"Legion of Superheroes"
Monday, January 15, 2018 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on The CW
Struggling to heal from her injuries inflicted by Reign, Supergirl remains in a dreamlike state, unable to be reached.

hobbyfan

Bad makeup job on Brainiac 5, but it otherwise is his basic classic look. Not digging the dark colors. Brainy usually wore a purple shirt, as memory serves.

On the plus side, they got it right this time, as opposed to the animated Legion of Superheroes (2006-8), which gave us a Brainy that looked more like a descendant of Gizmo (Teen Titans enemy), and too small to be Brainy.

@Road to Gotham: Not digging the dark outfit for Imra/Saturn Girl, either, as she's supposed to wear a bright red & white outfit. Still dealing with an audience that prefers grim-dark, and until they get re-educated on heroes in general, we're stuck with it. I guess costume stores in LA & Vancouver specialize in darker colors for leather.....

So Coville's out of prison and joins with Reign. What a shock.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Supergirl "Legion Of Super-Heroes"

Is it weird that I like James Marsters' Brianiac 5 better than this one? It's weird, right? But this one looks like Fred Armison and totally goofy.

Loved the Streaky shout-out, and immediately scowled upon him being black. How hard is it to find an orange cat? Are they REALLY that hard to be trained to be picked up?

Coville switching sides proves he is NOT a man of faith. A man of God does not turn to Satan once Jesus goes on the cross. In fact, him returning three days later should make the man's faith in God stronger. This just tells me Coville is full of b.s..

I laughed at Melissa Benoist's (bad) impersonation of David Harewood and I was literally delighted at Kara's snorting guffaw over Alex telling her about that trainwreck. Benoist is SUCH a lovable and winning actress. It's sort of a shame they don't have her playing full-on adorable more than they do.

Reign is still a loving mom? I have no idea why the series is still doing this to us. It is good for nobody. Not the show. Not the audience. Berlanti is REALLY bad at stuff like this.

Pretty great episode. ****1/2.

hobbyfan

Samantha hasn't told her daughter about the truth.

Can't blame Berlanti directly for how bad things are perceived. It's on the writers, who aren't doing enough due diligence in researching the characters. It's on the network, which insists on soap opera elements for their programming, save for the likes of Penn & Teller: Fool Us and Whose Line is it Anyway?, because their primary demo is young adult women 18-up, though Valor is waving bye-bye at the end of the month, with iZombie returning next month, a little earlier than normal.

It's the soap opera elements that don't belong, and have fans up in arms over the comics-related shows. We'll see tonight if Black Lightning avoids that trap.

Otaku-sempai

One problem with this show is that now that Superman has been cast, we have to wonder why he doesn't appear after his cousin is taken down by a Reign, a Kryptonian threat. One would think that he would at least want to share whatever he might know about her or learn what has already been discovered.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts