"Supergirl (2015 TV series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Greg91

Reporter
I'm going to miss this show. So soon after Arrow ended as well. I don't know if this came about because of the complaints from fans about season five, low ratings, Melissa being a mom or something else. At least they get to wrap up on their own terms.

Hopefully Kara lives past the finale to appear in Superman & Lois and the first full appearance of the Arrowverse's Justice League.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
This could give the CW the ability to pick up Green Arrow and the Canaries for next season. They didn't do so this season mainly because of the pandemic.

Frontier

Staff member
Supergirl is ending after season 6.

I feel like this was a likely scenario for one reason or another (Covid, Melissa's pregnancy, Superman getting his own show, ratings, etc.), but I guess better to have it confirmed now :(.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This could give the CW the ability to pick up Green Arrow and the Canaries for next season. They didn't do so this season mainly because of the pandemic.
I doubt that was the only reason. But idk, doesn't CW have enough DC shows as it is for their slots? This coming season will be 7 shows plus they "reaired" Swamp Thing. I think they're good.

I'm sure some nonsensical fans will blame Superman & Lois for getting Supergirl cancelled.

Frontier

Staff member
I doubt that was the only reason. But idk, doesn't CW have enough DC shows as it is for their slots? This coming season will be 7 shows plus they "reaired" Swamp Thing. I think they're good.

I'm sure some nonsensical fans will blame Superman & Lois for getting Supergirl cancelled.
I think there are a lot of factors in play for why they're ending it now, and Melissa Benoist's situation chief among them, but it probably helps that there will be a show that could theoretically fill out it's niche should it end, like Batwoman ended up doing with Arrow.

hobbyfan

I'm beginning to think that isn't going to happen at all.

Between Arrow ending last season, Batwoman getting overhauled within days of the first season's end, and now Supergirl getting ready to fly into the sunset, I think the CW is slowly changing its profile. Bear in mind, too, that the Riverdale spin-off, Katy Keene, was one and done, meaning that the network is feeling some comics fatigue.

the_joker

So, how will production work on this and the other shows? The pandemic is still out and about. I guess various safety measures will be taken, but I'm not sure if that will be enough.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
So, how will production work on this and the other shows? The pandemic is still out and about. I guess various safety measures will be taken, but I'm not sure if that will be enough.
The new protocols were laid out in a joint agreement between several unions called "The Safe Way Forward." Basically, a production is required to have a dedicated "Health and Safety Supervisor" and department, divide the crew into "zones" that don't physically interact with each other, and an aggressive testing schedule where actors are tested three times a week and rapid testing is done on the spot to protect actors who cannot be masked and socially distanced at all times for whatever reason. I think some productions are looking at the bubble housing procedure that the NBA made famous where they basically stay at their hotel or go to work at the set, nothing else.

the_joker

The new protocols were laid out in a joint agreement between several unions called "The Safe Way Forward." Basically, a production is required to have a dedicated "Health and Safety Supervisor" and department, divide the crew into "zones" that don't physically interact with each other, and an aggressive testing schedule where actors are tested three times a week and rapid testing is done on the spot to protect actors who cannot be masked and socially distanced at all times for whatever reason. I think some productions are looking at the bubble housing procedure that the NBA made famous where they basically stay at their hotel or go to work at the set, nothing else.
Flash and Supergirl also didn't finish their last seasons, so will the remaining episodes still be produced, or will their next seasons have to just start anew?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Flash and Supergirl also didn't finish their last seasons, so will the remaining episodes still be produced, or will their next seasons have to just start anew?
I recall in past interviews they said they would. Flash for sure. But that was then, and they could change their mind and rejigger it to be a season premiere.

reflection01

I'm beginning to think that isn't going to happen at all.

Between Arrow ending last season, Batwoman getting overhauled within days of the first season's end, and now Supergirl getting ready to fly into the sunset, I think the CW is slowly changing its profile. Bear in mind, too, that the Riverdale spin-off, Katy Keene, was one and done, meaning that the network is feeling some comics fatigue.

They’re adding a Supergirl spinoff and likely an Arrow spinoff.

No sign of fatigue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hobbyfan

They've dragged their feet on Green Arrow & The Canaries, such that CW might never pick it up, and it'll be farmed out to HBO Max instead.

IMPO, Flash may have jumped the shark, and could follow Supergirl out the door, with Legends right behind, which technically makes Black Lightning and Batwoman part of the 2nd wave (ditto for Superman & Lois), likely the last wave.

Frontier

Staff member
They've dragged their feet on Green Arrow & The Canaries, such that CW might never pick it up, and it'll be farmed out to HBO Max instead.

IMPO, Flash may have jumped the shark, and could follow Supergirl out the door, with Legends right behind, which technically makes Black Lightning and Batwoman part of the 2nd wave (ditto for Superman & Lois), likely the last wave.
Grant Gustin was renegotiating for two more seasons before Covid happened, so I think Flash has at least up to season 8 down.

beyond94

I think that the 6th and final arc of Supergirl should introduce a very powerful unstoppable female antagonist such as #Grail who is the daughter of Darkseid but he doesn't have to be mentioned on the show since he's off limits to the movies. She would be the series version of the DC villain. They could write her in a way the female version of how Marvel Studios Thanos was. Grail would be a foe who boasts and talks a lot and uses others as her minions to achieve her her goals. Such as to rule Prime Earth but all Earths. Grail would be always one step ahead of Supergirl and perhaps cause the death of a supporting character close to Kara like her mother for instance. This would be a challenge mentally for Kara to handle just as in the Superman animated show how Darkseid was always such a threat to Superman. I think that actress #SummerBishil from the SYFY series #TheMagicians would be a wonderful choice to bring the character that Geoff Johns created on screen for the first time. Are their any Grail fans and would you like to see her on Supergirl?
51XB9rwjOlL.__AC_SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Attachments

• tumblr_o7jmw4G4ji1twdz6wo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_o7jmw4G4ji1twdz6wo1_500.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 23

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts