"Supergirl (2015 TV series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

gmster

supergirl.jpg

On the heels of the success of Arrow and the strong buzz for its upcoming offshoot The Flash — both co-created and executive produced by Greg Berlanti — the top producer is looking to transition another popular DC superhero character to the small screen. I’ve learned that Berlanti has teamed with Ali Adler, who worked on his ABC series No Ordinary Family, for a TV series based on Supergirl.

I hear the project, which is still in development, will be a new interpretation of the Supergirl character and her story. Adler will write the script and will executive produce with Berlanti Prods.’ Berlanti and Sarah Schechter. DC’s Geoff Johns, who has been involved in both Arrow and The Flash, is also expected to be part of the project but it is unclear at this time what his role will be. The Supergirl show doesn’t have a name yet. I hear the producers are considering several options that need to be cleared, including Super and Girl.

The project is expected to be taken out in a couple of weeks and pitched to the major networks the way WBTV and DC did with their high profile Batman prequel Gotham, which landed at Fox with a big commitment. The Supergirl series had been in the works at WBTV for some time with Berlanti and Adler. Contrary to a report that was picked up by a number of outlets, Michael Green has had no involvement in the project.

Supergirl TV Series: New Show From Greg Berlanti & Ali Adler | Deadline

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Well considering this is being brought to us by the same people behind actual shows and actually about to be shows, there's more validity to this then say that rumor a couple of years back about the CW wanting a Raven series. And granted it has been 30 years since Helen Slater failure flop flick, the last time they really had Supergirl star in something herself outside of a comic. Still I don't know if bringing in Kara in her own series is a good idea. Granted I still don't think Gotham is a good idea but you can at least sort of sell it as "a batman series without Batman" which is unique enough and could make for potentially interesting crime drama. How exactly would a supergirl series work exactly? Especially since I assume this would be about a fairly young Kara so... what seperates this from Smaillville besides the fact the lead character's female? Which is granted a plus but... I would kind of want someone more deserving of starring in a series to get the chance to first. I also worry that if they're trying to push a very Zack Snyder direction in the films and that trickling down into this seires as well. I guess for fans of the character this is good as hey Arrow has been doing well and the Flash is getting good buzz but... this just seems like an oddball pick to me.

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
I don't know. I don't know because there's so many different options here. I thought I saw an article earlier that they weren't looking at the CW or having it part of that universe. If that's the case, maybe make this a direct Smallville spin off? Maybe make this show set in the cinematic DCU? I don't want to see a take on the character where she's learning everything for the first time. Have Supergirl already an established character with SOME experience. We have 10 years of Smallville if we want to see an unexperienced Kryptonian discovering their powers for the first time.

Frontier

Staff member
Huh... if this ends up being set in the Arrow-verse, we might finally have our own version of the Justice League Trinity. Green Arrow for Batman, Flash for Superman, and Supergirl for Wonder Woman. That is, if they end up being in continuity :sweat:.

I'm all for Kara getting more exposure, but I'm not sure about Supergirl series. It certainly runs the risk of being like Smallville, or inviting comparisons to that show, just with a female lead. Considering Kara's usually a teenager or generally young, I could definitely see them emphasizing or having a teen drama aspect in the show.

I think one way they could distinguish it from Smallville is by having Kara be actually active as Supergirl and not just learning to use her powers before donning her Superhero identity. More the last few seasons of Smallville than the first, I guess? Of course, she could still be getting used to her powers and not be an expert at superheroing, and that could work well if they go for the teen hero feel for the series :).

Though if she is a full-blown Superhero, I wonder if she'll have a secret identity? This is the Arrow-verse after all, so it would probably be pretty hard for her to have one without a mask and vocoder :p.

reflection01

I don't watch Arrow. I need to catch up. Has Superman been referenced as part of that universe?

Wounded_Dragon

Can they even afford a Supergirl series? If they try to keep her powers down to a "cheap" level there's a chance the show could draw even more comparisons to Buffy than Smallville did.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't watch Arrow. I need to catch up. Has Superman been referenced as part of that universe?
Aside from a restaurant that I think is ordinarily in Metropolis, no.

Can they even afford a Supergirl series? If they try to keep her powers down to a "cheap" level there's a chance the show could draw even more comparisons to Buffy than Smallville did.
I'd at least hope she'd be able to fly :sweat:.

Though the budget for the Flash looks pretty impressive, even having only seen trailers for the pilot and not the full first season yet.

Frontier

Staff member
So I guess the chances of it being in continuity with Arrow and Flash are dependent on it airing on the CW?

honorableninja

so providing that gotham and constiane surive the upcoming season being the networks thier on are known for cancelled good shows if they dont pefrom all five major networks will be in the superhero game with dc running the majority and abc with marvel.

gmster

The pitch sounds very promising.

Born on the planet Krypton, Kara Zor-El escaped amid its destruction years ago. Since arriving on Earth, she’s been hiding the powers she shares with her famous cousin. But now at age 24, she decides to embrace her superhuman abilities and be the hero she was always meant to be. Berlanti and Adler will write the script and executive produce with Berlanti Prods.’ Sarah Schechter. Also closely involved in the development of the project has been DC Entertainment’s chief creative officer Geoff Johns.

gmster

Supergirl will be set in the Arrowverse.

Later in the afternoon at his other office on the Warner Bros. lot, Berlanti meets with fellow producer Ali Adler and Oscar-winning costume designer Colleen Atwood to go over looks for their upcoming revamp of Supergirl. The show will follow 24-year-old Kara Zor-El, Superman's cousin, and with a twist that that could melt fanboy brains, Berlanti says it's possible this Supergirl could enter the worlds of Arrow and The Flash.

SUPERGIRL May End Up Being Set In The Same World As ARROW And THE FLASH

Frontier

Staff member
If this ends up being true, then the Arrow-verse finally has it's Wonder Woman equivalent for it's Trinity... and she's related to Superman :sweat:.

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
I'm glad that the show is not in the Arrow/The Flash universe, I wouldn't mind if it was, but if Supergirl is in its own universe, that means there's more flexibility regarding the casting of Superman (in the inevitable episode). Bring back Brandon Routh or Dean Cain, or officially give Tom Welling a "promotion". Just because this show will have nothing to do with Superman Returns, Smallville, or Lois & Clark doesn't mean that's the reason to not bring someone back. As soon as this series premieres, people are going to be asking/thinking "Is this in the Arrow shared universe?" , "Is this the Smallville Supergirl?", "Is this in the Man Of Steel universe?" etc. The answer of course is going to be "No, this is it's own thing." And you can still have your own thing by having Brandon Routh, Tom Welling, and/or Dean Cain reprising the role of Superman.

Mandouga

I just hope it's the genuine article and not a disguised drama with recognizable characters/a recognizable theme. Despite the whole "before he was Superman" thing, Smallville was really just a drama about an extraordinary person who tries to lead a "normal" life despite the fact that he's not "normal"; something that could easily be done as a slice-of-life series with original characters (and even then, my understanding is that they seriously considered the possibility of having this Clark Kent not become Superman...). I'm hoping this show doesn't turn out the same way. Just saying.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts