Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo Switch) - News & Discussion

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Tune in to the game awards tonight as Nintendo of America just tweeted the next DLC fighter will be revealed there. I admit I was surprised they were going to announce it but I guess they realize they were ever only able to get ONE surprise reveal at the game awards which they did with Joker so they decided they would either announce them not having anything like they did last year or announce it if they did like this year. There's a lot of chatter for various characters but guess we'll only find out tonight so yeah get exited people!

Asa

I'm just hoping it will be another fighter coming from a Bandai-Namco franchise (Soul or Tekken series are my possible picks). We had more fighters coming from Sega, Konami, Microsoft, Square-Enix, Capcom, and SNK franchises, let's hope the same for Bandai-Namco.

I'll be okay if 2B from NieR doesn't get in Smash.

It's possible the next fighter will release next month.

Asa

Another Final Fantasy character will be joining the game this month.

The series now joins Street Fighter and Castlevania as the third 3rd-party franchise to see not one, but two fighters joining the series.

Neo Ultra Mike

Okay I'd like to apologize to Asa because a few months back I said this when he was asking about Tifa being in Smash Ultimate.

I could see another female DLC fighter being announced. Possibly Shantae as she's a popular pick with plenty of Nintendo association (having debuted on the Game Boy Color) but it's not going ot be Tifa in that slot. Considering all the hassle it took just to get Cloud back in with only two measly tracks and no assist trophies with very few stickers pretty clear we aren't going to get another FF represenative in smash especially since I'm sure they want to pick from either very Nintendo based franchises or more specific third party franchises.

Because yeah I was 100% wrong as we got Sephiroth as the third of the six DLC in this fighter's back. Which yeah I DID NOT expect at all. I guess Sakurai likes the Game Award choices to be super surprising out of left field picks no one was able to leak ahead of time nor would anyone expect. Because yeah no one would of expected we'd get another FFVII character here at all especially since sans Echo Fighters there haven't been ANY additional fighters from a third party series who already had a fighter. And if there was going to be one you'd think it would be Sonic the Hedgehog or Street Fighter or Mega Man or well any that have had a much healthier relationship with Nintendo then Square has. Honestly I think Nintendo and Square must of gotten on better terms because before Cloud was barely allowed in with any tracks or spirits to his name but yeah no way would we have gotten Sephiroth if that was still the case and Nintendo and Square are likely on much better terms. Not to mention Nintendo probably wanted Smash to have an iconic villain join the fray and yeah even if you haven't played FFVII you know Sephiroth if you are familiar with gaming at all considering the legacy the guy has.

So again props on Asa for well not calling it a 100% but totally still proving me wrong and coming closer with an idea then most anyone else did. Guess we'll see in 2021 how the final DLC line up but props to how this one caught everyone off guard.

Asa

Sakurai had stated adding other Final Fantasy characters besides Cloud was proven to be difficult and that this title along with Smash 3DS and Wii U only gave us Cloud (both normal and Advent Children) as well as two tracks (likely due to a combination of prior copyright management during the development of both Smash 3DS and Wii U and Ultimate and licensing issues that arose from the ownership of the Final Fantasy series artwork)

I'm wondering how many new Final Fantasy spirits and new tracks we will see.

Tifa has a chance of appearing in the Spirit Board.

Asa

powerjake

Banned
Would anyone like it if Crash Bandicoot became a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Thats a character Nintendo needs to give a chance to be in the roster.

Neo Ultra Mike

Oh hey I actually did call the new character last year... sort of.

Pretty sure there wasn't an ARMS rep in the main game for the same reason there wasn't a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 rep in the main game: because it was coming out as Smash was being worked on thus there wasn't enough time to get into contact with the studios to make that character transition. That's obviously not the case now though so I would expect Rex
or Pyra in the future as well.

Yeah looks like DLC Pack 2 is all about getting to characters and ideas the team couldn't get to while working on the game (or even DLC Pack One) that they wanted to do for Ultimate and now finally have the time to do so. Apparently Steve has been in discussions for ages that only settled down sometime around 2019; Nintendo and Square's relationship was obviously really shoddy even when getting to put Cloud back into Ultimate that cleared a lot more over the years to let Sephiroth come in and yeah getting to put in characters from Switch Games people expected on the base roster but couldn't due to Ultimate being worked on BEFORE they would of had access to that information.

I admit I'm not that big a fan of Xenoblade but I have watched a bunch of reactions and seems like even some of the Xenoblade fans are bummed that Pyra (with Mythra) got the slot but Rex didn't. I don't really know why Rex didn't (sure that's one of the questions Sakurai will answer next month) but quite honestly as someone who wanted more female characters I actually prefer this set up. Plus I admit something I have wanted for over a decade ever since Brawl was the third "duo transformer character" that was really two in one fighters. Yeah I know Pokemon Trainer is a 3 in one but I wanted another two in one that was also another pair of female fighters and this one honestly if you know about the series makes perfect sense to do. I know some people are disappointed about them also being "anime swordfighters" but this is from a franchise that could use more representation and is enough of it's own gimmick to justify them both on the roster so I have no problems in that regard.

Would anyone like it if Crash Bandicoot became a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

I would be fine with that since though Crash isn't in my top 2 picks he would make sense as one and honestly would be nice to have the most major original Sony mascot in this game. I have a feeling if it does happen it will be the final character slot to end off the run of DLC on a bang. There was a massive backlash people had with Byleth being the last of pack 1 that probably would of been a lot more if that was the last DLC that I'm sure Nintendo and the Smash Team learned from and thus wouldn't make that same "mistake" again.

Reactions: Asa

Asa

I predict the final two DLC fighters of SSBU will be Jeanne from Bayonetta and Lloyd Irving from the Tales series.

Asa

With the digital E3 coming up this year, I'm expecting to see the final 2 DLC fighters of the game being announced (along with the Fighters Pass 2 amiibo)

I just hope we won't see unlikely characters like Sora, Shrek, Goku, Spongebob, etc. joining. I'll be fine if Crash Bandicoot joins though.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Wow, now we have reps from Street Fighter, Tekken, and King of Fighters (kinda). This would have been mind blowing once upon a time.

Neo Ultra Mike

Honestly part of me was kind of expecting and even in a way hoping for a Tekken rep considering how close some of those series are now. I mean there was a Street Fighter, Fatal Fury AND Final Fantasy rep in the latest Tekken game so if Smash wanted to top that they'd extend their universe into the Tekken world. I admit Kazuya is a bit of a weird choice but it's clear Sakurai likes taking the original fighting game hero and using them for the main representation even if the series has well known or more note worthy fighters... heh that's what he chooses for the RPG picks but the fighting game picks get those original fighters. Plus with his backstory he works as a character and with the Devil boost he makes for a unique character so yeah though not my personal pick I do get why it was chosen and it is one worthy of an E3 Trailer spot. Yeah it's not as hype as Ridley or Banjo Kazooie but it still is worth celebrating especially for those who are fans of Tekken.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts