Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo Switch) - News & Discussion

Asa

Now that June is here, I'm expecting the announced ARMS character for SSBU's final Fighters Pass pack to be delivered in a week or two.

Asa

Were already 2 weeks into June, yet Nintendo still didn't say anything about releasing the ARMS character for the second Fighters Pass pack.

Maybe it could be delayed to July?

Update: It's been confirmed the ARMS fighter will be revealed this Monday.

I'm predicting it's either gonna be 4 male alternate costumes with 4 female costumes or it's gonna be 8 selected characters as costumes (similar to Bowser Jr., be it 4 males and 4 females).

Last edited:

Asa

Min Min is joining Ultimate next Monday

With that, it now marks the 2nd time a female DLC fighter joined Smash, following on the heels of Bayonetta, who debuted back in Smash for 3DS and Wii U in 2016.

Could this mean we may get more female DLC fighters in the future like Tifa Lockeart from Final Fantasy VII Remake and 2B from NieR Automata?

Also, we are FINALLY getting the Fighters Pass 1 amiibo, beginning with the Hero and Joker. They are slated to launch fall 2020.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
With that, it now marks the 2nd time a female DLC fighter joined Smash, following on the heels of Bayonetta, who debuted back in Smash for 3DS and Wii U in 2016.

Min Min is also technically the first Smash fighter (of a series that only has one representative) to be put in Smash but not be the specific "face" or supposed main hero of their franchise. Like supposedly "everyone's a protagonist" but I have a feeling the idea was to have Spring Man more the top most well known and well loved character originally but people gravitated towards other heroes, even the developers and associates who work on the game. Since Min Min is technically the overall "fan favorite" in addition to being the producer's favorite so all the more reason to give her the push.

Could this mean we may get more female DLC fighters in the future like Tifa Lockeart from Final Fantasy VII Remake and 9B from NieR Automata?

I could see another female DLC fighter being announced. Possibly Shantae as she's a popular pick with plenty of Nintendo association (having debuted on the Game Boy Color) but it's not going ot be Tifa OR 2B (I don't even know who 9B is think you made an error there Asa) in that slot. Considering all the hassle it took just to get Cloud back in with only two measly tracks and no assist trophies with very few stickers pretty clear we aren't going to get another FF represenative in smash especially since I'm sure they want to pick from either very Nintendo based franchises or more specific third party franchises. However it still has to either be one the people want to see, Sakurai is an actual fan of or someone at Nintendo wants to work with none of which really fits 2B so yeah don't expect that one to be picked.

Asa

I could see another female DLC fighter being announced. Possibly Shantae as she's a popular pick with plenty of Nintendo association (having debuted on the Game Boy Color) but it's not going ot be Tifa OR 2B (I don't even know who 9B is think you made an error there Asa) in that slot. Considering all the hassle it took just to get Cloud back in with only two measly tracks and no assist trophies with very few stickers pretty clear we aren't going to get another FF representative in Smash especially since I'm sure they want to pick from either very Nintendo based franchises or more specific third party franchises. However it still has to either be one the people want to see, Sakurai is an actual fan of or someone at Nintendo wants to work with none of which really fits 2B so yeah don't expect that one to be picked.
Well Tifa is a fan-favorite among FF fans and I thought FFVII could've used more lore in Ultimate (spirit board, spirits, new stage, and new tracks) but maybe Square Enix still won't allow it? (The franchise in Smash only has 2 tracks, 2 trophies and 2 spirits, all in the form of Cloud). Also there were talks about more FF characters being added in Smash for 3DS and Wii U but Sakurai thought it was too difficult to think of any character that wasn't Cloud.

I dunno if Shantae will ever get in.

Also, Sakuari did state he played NiER Automata before and he really liked it. So maybe we could still expect 2B to get in.

After Min Min, I think we might still get new characters that weren't represent as spirits like Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, and Byleth. We might also still get new characters from Nintendo based franchises or more specific third party franchises (Soulcalibur anyone?)

Asa

I'm predicting the second Fighters Pass Vol. 2 DLC character will be released sometime in fall 2020, while the final 4 packs will be released by 2021.

Asa

There are rumors that the 7th Fighters Pass character will release by October.

If it does, my predictions on the 7th fighter being released this year and the final 4 packs being released around next year will come true :D.

I really hope we get a unexpected character following Min Min's release.

Asa

The 7th Fighters Pass character will be announced tomorrow.

It confirms that the Japanese ad was right after all.

I'm hoping we'll get another fighter originating from Bandai-Namco soon.

Asa

So far now, the third-party companies have had 2/3 universes each join the Smash series.

• the Sonic series (joined in Brawl), Bayonetta (joined in 3DS / Wii U), and the Persona series (joined in Ultimate's first Fighters Pass) for Sega
  • the Metal Gear series (joined in Brawl) and the Castlevania series (joined in Ultimate) for Konami
  • the Mega Man series and Street Fighter series (both joined in 3DS / Wii U) for Capcom
  • the Final Fantasy series (joined in 3DS / Wii U) and Dragon Quest (joined in Ultimate's first Fighters Pass) for Square Enix
  • and as of today, we now have Banjo-Kazooie (who was released in Ultimate's first Fighters Pass) and Minecraft (who is planned to be released for Ultimate's second and final Fighters Pass), both for Microsoft.
Bandai-Namco has yet to see another character, besides Pac-Man, join Smash, which is why it's possible we could see another series coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate next year. I'm betting it's from the Soul series.

Also, maybe one more Square Enix character like 2B/9S from NieR Automata would be nice.

Neo Ultra Mike

and as of today, we now have Banjo-Kazooie (who was released in Ultimate's first Fighters Pass) and Minecraft (who is planned to be released for Ultimate's second and final Fighters Pass), both for Microsoft.

It should be noted though that both Banjo and Kazooie and Minecraft though owned and official Microsoft properties, technically aren't series that originated from Microsoft. Obviously Banjo Kazooie was a rare platformer that was originally a Nintendo 64 exclusive that went to Microsoft along with the rest of Rare and Minecraft was created by Notch that was originally just intended for PCs that became so popular it got adapted to every single major console and then got bought by Microsoft as well. But yeah unlike Sega or Konami or Capcom or Square Enix, Microsoft has yet to have one of the franchises THEY specifically created appear on Smash. Since the front runner in that regard would be Master Chief which yeah I don't really see happening.

Bandai-Namco has yet to see another character, besides Pac-Man, join Smash, which is why it's possible we could see another series coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate next year. I'm betting it's from the Soul series.

Souls does seem likely though I'd honestly probably want someone from Tekken as it would be nice to see all the top video game fighting mascots in smash brothers. Part of me still wants Mortal Kombat but yeah that ain't happening but Tekken is much more likely.

Also, maybe one more Square Enix character like 2B/9S from NieR Automata would be nice.

Look 2B is not happening. If we are getting another Square Enix character it is either going to be Geno (considering that has been a popular request for going on a decade and a half and is a Mario character only half owned by Square anyway) or Sora from Kingdom Hearts. Those are the top runners.

I admit Steve is a bit surpirsing here even if it was such a popular pick but I will give credit that they did show a very creative moveset and I do like him having alts. I don't know if going Dragon Quest's 4 was necessary as honestly Alex was fine so why have Zombie AND Enderman but hey it does weirdly enough fit the horror theme of October so that's something I didn't think the new character would do thus kudos there.

Last edited:

Asa

Souls does seem likely though I'd honestly probably want someone from Tekken as it would be nice to see all the top video game fighting mascots in smash brothers. Part of me still wants Mortal Kombat but yeah that ain't happening but Tekken is much more likely.
I wouldn't mind a Tekken fighter joining Smash. It would be cool. Also I heard the Mortal Kombat games were banned in Japan.

Look 2B is not happening. If we are getting another Square Enix character it is either going to be Geno (considering that has been a popular request for going on a decade and a half and is a Mario character only half owned by Square anyway) or Sora from Kingdom Hearts. Those are the top runners.
Well, NieR Automata did the success sales on Nintendo Switch, which is the reason I felt like she would be a suitable candidate.

I just don't know if Sora and Geno are both going to get in.

For Sora, it might be complicated to get him into Smash due to licensing issues. Also, his English VA might never work for Nintendo because of contract issues. Katsuhiro Harada even had to mute requests for him.

And as for Geno, do we seriously need another Mario character? We just had Piranha Plant released and having 10 Mario characters would be WAY too many. And Geno has not appeared since his Superstar Saga cameo. If they don't get in, just let it go and get used to it, okay?

I admit Steve is a bit surprising here even if it was such a popular pick but I will give credit that they did show a very creative moveset and I do like him having alts. I don't know if going Dragon Quest's 4 was necessary as honestly Alex was fine so why have Zombie AND Enderman but hey it does weirdly enough fit the horror theme of October so that's something I didn't think the new character would do thus kudos there.
Yeah, could be the reason.

Neo Ultra Mike

Well, NieR Automata did the success sales on Nintendo Switch, which is the reason I felt like she would be a suitable candidate.

.... What are you talking about? Nier Automata isn't EVEN ON THE NINTENDO SWITCH! There's been talk of a port for that game for the Switch but nothing has actually come of it so Nier Automata isn't on a Nintendo console. Which yeah doesn't mean she's a 100% lock out since Joker got a spot before any version of Persona 5 got on Nintendo, but Persona 5 was a game Masahiro Sakurai has decleared to be a huge fan of and was even inspired to incoperate elements into Smash (like the menus) even BEFORE the annoucement of DLC. I've heard nothing about Sakurai eing a fan of this series which again isn't high on Nintendo's priorities either so yeah don't really see it happening at all.

For Sora, it might be complicated to get him into Smash due to licensing issues.

If you're talking about Disney technically Square Enix owns everything original created within the Kingdom Hearts Universe and thus it wouldn't be a problem having any of those elements in another game if they give permission. Yeah Sora can't likely do any Disney cameos but there's still a lot of moves and general attributes that can be used just from the KH series itself.

Also, his English VA might never work for Nintendo because of contract issues. Katsuhiro Harada even had to mute requests for him.

Uh, you do know Cloud's English VA isn't in Smash right? So even if you couldn't use Haley Joel Osment in Smash localization you could still just have his japanese VA and not have any problems.

And as for Geno, do we seriously need another Mario character? We just had Piranha Plant released and having 10 Mario characters would be WAY too many. And Geno has not appeared since his Superstar Saga cameo.

First off, there are already 10 Pokemon characters and Mario is a more successful franchise then Pokemon so if there are 10 Pokemon characters in smash it's fine having 10 Mario characters.

Second off, not appearing for awhile so long as you're a huge fan request or catch the eye of the director isn't a problem. King K Rool wasn't in the Donkey Kong or Nintendo franchise in general for over 10 years yet was still asked for over and over again to appear and got in Ultimate. And Sakurai knows the demand of Geno considering he got a Mii costume in Smash 4 which also had a King K Rool Mii costume so maybe Geno can also make the leap over to playable as well.

If they don't get in, just let it go and get used to it, okay?

Fair enough but the guy who keeps pushing someone like 2B to get in when there's no chance of that should realize such words probably apply more to him then to me honestly.

Asa

.... What are you talking about? Nier Automata isn't EVEN ON THE NINTENDO SWITCH! There's been talk of a port for that game for the Switch but nothing has actually come of it so Nier Automata isn't on a Nintendo console. Which yeah doesn't mean she's a 100% lock out since Joker got a spot before any version of Persona 5 got on Nintendo, but Persona 5 was a game Masahiro Sakurai has decleared to be a huge fan of and was even inspired to incoperate elements into Smash (like the menus) even BEFORE the annoucement of DLC. I've heard nothing about Sakurai eing a fan of this series which again isn't high on Nintendo's priorities either so yeah don't really see it happening at all.
Sorry about me thinking NieR was on Switch. My mistake.

And another thing, I thought Sora was more of a 4th-party character than a 3rd-party character, which is why he might not get in.

Plus we have had quite enough with Mario characters being added. I feel the Smash fandom will whine and complain if Nintendo decides to add Geno and will be like "That's too many Mario characters for Smash, Nintendo." I know it's more successful than Pokemon, but come on.

Last edited:

Asa

The 7th Fighters Pass character will arrive October 13th.

The final 3 Fighters Pass Vol. 1 amiibo are planned to release by next year (I'm expecting Q1 2021 so we could see the 8th Fighters Pass character being announced around that same time)

New Mii Fighter costumes have been revealed

The pack will have little amount of tracks, 7 in total.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Gameplay wise, Steve isn't my kind of character, but I do love how unique his moveset is.

Asa

I'm wondering how many spirits and soundtracks the game will have in grand total once development finishes next year (Sakurai said that the development of SSBU will finish after the 11th and final DLC fighter gets released).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts