Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo Switch) - News & Discussion

Dudley

Staff member
Announced today in an all new Direct is Smash Bros for Switch.

With the Splatoon Inklings as playable characters at that. I knew they’d make it into the next game, what’s the biggest surprise is getting Smash Bros this year. With all the big franchises coming out in the consoles first two years, what do they have planned for the rest? Hopefully just a lot of DLC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
Announced today in an all new Direct is Smash Bros for Switch.
Do not start threads with one-liners and give nothing to discuss. For an announcement like this, you're expected to post at least a link or a trailer.

SNS

I had low expectations for this Direct, so my jaw dropped when they dropped this bombshell at the end. This teaser is just so great, I’m definitely hyped up for Smash Bros. 5 now!

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Is this Smash Brothers 5 though, or 4.5? I mean you have to remember how long the team spent on Smash 4 as that was clearly being worked as far back as I believe 2011 and only came out around 2014. Even if they went directly into making this one after finishing the DLC that still would of only been about 2 years time and pretty sure they didn't just jump in as Sakurai and his team said they wanted a break after finishing Smash 4. It could be someone else whose been working on this and I do get that unlike with the Wii U, they want to actually release a Smash earlier into the cycle of the console. So I am hoping it's been worked on awhile by a different team so we still have a big roster and a chance for a bunch of new characters. The Inklings are good choices but I'm hoping to see a bunch of others as well. Hopefully with some love for other franchises then just Mario and Pokemon since series like Kirby, Legend Of Zelda and Star Fox could use some new blood we haven't really seen in ages for Smash.

SNS

Fans have pointed out that Link is using his model from Breath of the Wild. Such a thing is unlikely to be updated if it was a port of SSB4.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli

With the Splatoon Inklings as playable characters at that. I knew they’d make it into the next game, what’s the biggest surprise is getting Smash Bros this year. With all the big franchises coming out in the consoles first two years, what do they have planned for the rest? Hopefully just a lot of DLC.
I could definitely see Smash getting a lot of DLC, especially if Nintendo follows in the footsteps of Dead or Alive 5 and Street Fighter 5 and have years worth of DLC to keep it fresh (especially with new IP's that could be utilized in the game as either playable fighters or assist trophies).

As for what Nintendo could do for the rest of the Switch's lifespan, some ideas that come to mind include new games based on franchises that have been dormant for some time (Earthbound, F-Zero), another platformer Mario game, and a Zelda game made with the Switch in mind (Breath of the Wild followed the same path as Twilight Princess as being a game that was made for a previous generation system in mind, but also came out for the current generation when it became obvious that the older system was on its last legs).

SNS

I hope we finally get Geno this time instead of a Mii costume like last time. K. Rool would also be good. I remember Geno & K. Rool were both in the top 20 of a poll that took place in Japan for Brawl (and they are the only ones that haven't appeared yet).

Phil Spencer also seems to be open about the idea of Banjo-Kazooie in Smash Bros. so maybe they can work something out

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
Is this Smash Brothers 5 though, or 4.5? I mean you have to remember how long the team spent on Smash 4 as that was clearly being worked as far back as I believe 2011 and only came out around 2014. Even if they went directly into making this one after finishing the DLC that still would of only been about 2 years time and pretty sure they didn't just jump in as Sakurai and his team said they wanted a break after finishing Smash 4.

It actually started development in 2012. Also, you have to take into account

1. It was made by a developer completely new to the franchise (Bandai Namco). If they come back, they'll be building upon experience now.
2. They were developing two different versions of the game for two completely different consoles with completely different architectures and power levels, simultaneously. Not doing that alone likely saved a heap of development time.

I'm hoping there's a meaningful amount of new content. Bring the Ice Climbers back, bring in fan favorites like K. Rool and Geno. It's all for the good.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I think a good promotion for the game would be a Pokemon anime episode featuring an appearance from Samus Aran who actually knows Ash's Pikachu from something that happened before Pikachu met Ash - which turns out to be The Subspace Emissary, thus making the Pikachu in the SSB series the one that Ash has (also making the SSE canon to the Pokemon anime universe).

Light Lucario

Staff member
I think a good promotion for the game would be a Pokemon anime episode featuring an appearance from Samus Aran who actually knows Ash's Pikachu from something that happened before Pikachu met Ash - which turns out to be The Subspace Emissary, thus making the Pikachu in the SSB series the one that Ash has (also making the SSE canon to the Pokemon anime universe).

They don't really use the anime to promote non-Pokemon games. Pikachu and other Pokemon are available in Super Smash Bros., but it isn't considered a spin off Pokemon game just because of that. More importantly, they aren't going to have crossovers with other video game characters in the Pokemon anime. That just wouldn't fit with how the anime works at all.

Anyway, this was a big surprise when I was watching the Direct yesterday. I figured it was just another Splatoon update right until they showed the logo. That was pretty cool. I don't know if it is going to be a port of the Wii U version or a brand new game. Either way, it should have a good amount of new content hopefully. People have been eager for a Switch Super Smash Bros for quite some time, so I'm sure it will be a big success.

Harmonie

Foreverrrrr!
If this is a port of the Wii U version, Nintendo did a horribly misleading job of showing that. They have always been very clear about their past ports. I can not say how much backlash they might receive if they turned around and revealed this is just a port with some added content. The press is already painting this as a new game. Nintendo, as I said, also pretty much showed this like a new title, absent of any evidence whatsoever that it is a port. There is absolute zero reason to not show it as a port from the start. Or at least throw in something that paints it clearly as SSB4, like the SSB cross animation they did before every single SSB4 character trailer (yes, even going all of the way back to the original Villager introduction followed by the reveal of SSB4).

Thus, I'm starting to breathe a sigh of relief. So many people were saying that a SSB4 port would come out and mean no new SSB game on the Switch. That really worried me, and it would have just permanently etched the Switch as a Wii U-port console in my mind. The SSB being new instead of a port is a HUGE deal to me, I'm so happy to see it.

Plus, although I thought SSB4 was a pretty great game, it just felt like technical greatness with less heart. The game got boring to me super quickly, although it had so much good about it. I hope that a new direction is taken with this game to kind of revitalize the series like Odyssey did with Mario and BoTW did with Zelda. I know that's probably an unpopular opinion, but I think SSB can evolve, too. It's almost 20 years old, now. But I won't completely hold it to that, it's just a hope. I'll be glad we got a NEW Super Smash Bros either way.

Jave

Beware of the SPLAT
Staff member
Reporter
If this is a port of the Wii U version, Nintendo did a horribly misleading job of showing that. They have always been very clear about their past ports. I can not say how much backlash they might receive if they turned around and revealed this is just a port with some added content. The press is already painting this as a new game. Nintendo, as I said, also pretty much showed this like a new title, absent of any evidence whatsoever that it is a port. There is absolute zero reason to not show it as a port from the start. Or at least throw in something that paints it clearly as SSB4, like the SSB cross animation they did before every single SSB4 character trailer (yes, even going all of the way back to the original Villager introduction followed by the reveal of SSB4).

Thus, I'm starting to breathe a sigh of relief. So many people were saying that a SSB4 port would come out and mean no new SSB game on the Switch. That really worried me, and it would have just permanently etched the Switch as a Wii U-port console in my mind. The SSB being new instead of a port is a HUGE deal to me, I'm so happy to see it.

Plus, although I thought SSB4 was a pretty great game, it just felt like technical greatness with less heart. The game got boring to me super quickly, although it had so much good about it. I hope that a new direction is taken with this game to kind of revitalize the series like Odyssey did with Mario and BoTW did with Zelda. I know that's probably an unpopular opinion, but I think SSB can evolve, too. It's almost 20 years old, now. But I won't completely hold it to that, it's just a hope. I'll be glad we got a NEW Super Smash Bros either way.
It all depends on what do you mean by "port". I think we can completely rule out that this is Mario Kart 8 DX level of port, as in, take the original game and port it straight with little extra content. I think it's more like a derivative sequel, which takes the original game's engine and tweaks it enough to make it different, but still similar enough so that most content can be ported (including all characters and stages, barring legalities like 3rd parties and stuff).

I'm personally hoping this is the case, since I loved the roster in Smash 4 and I'm hoping no one gets booted. It still gives plenty of room for newcomers and a couple of veterans who missed Smash 4 as well of several content revamp (new Single Player modes, better online matchmaking, etc.). I really, REALLY doubt it's an entirely new Smash made from scratch (as in, zero reused assets), because there's no way they have that ready by the end of the year.

The game is also supposed to come out in less than 10 months, so they probably won't hype as much with content this time around. Just the traditional character trailers with the occassional look at a new mode or a stage. I'm not expecting Dojo Updates or Pic of the Day anymore, that's for sure.

Either way, new Smash game, time to get excited again. We'll likely have to wait until E3 for more info, but it's great to finally have confirmation that it exists.

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Can I just say that I'm excited as hell? Because I am.

Here's the thing about Smash and how "new" it is. For one thing, it's been noted that the logo art is a bit dissonant from the Smash for Wii U / 3DS one in terms of how the text looks. Some think that represents a break, I'm not so sure.

I don't believe they'd rebuild everything, but I could believe that they'd do some updating so early Switch era is represented a bit. Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey (New Donk City!), ARMS and Splatoon 2 are all fabulous candidates for representation in the form of new stages, and they've already affirmed Squid Kids for new characters. So who's to say 1 or 2 other new ones won't be in right off?

Also, there has been a bit of a shift lately in games as a service. Splatoon 2 is a year old soon and Nintendo's expanding on it. Capcom's entire strategy for Street Fighter V revolves around adding in new things over an extended period of time. There's nothing stopping Nintendo from a modest update for Smash that slowly and steadily adds a few stages and characters here and there, some costumes, legacy stages, challenges, whatever. The sky is the limit on expansion content, and if they're smart they'll leverage it. It's money on the table if they don't. Ideally I'd like to see as many old stages remastered as possible over time.

Here's what I'm expecting for now...

-Online play improved so it's easy to set up your own tournaments, lobbies, etc. This is *the* game for getting people to buy into the relatively cheap Switch online for the future.
-I won't be surprised if the Custom Mii slot is scrapped. This was unique to the Wii and 3DS era, and the good ol' Mii is just a token existence on Switch. A generic Mii would be boring. No Miiverse stage either since it no longer exists.
-Remember how the Ice Climbers got cut because of technical limitations? Well, those are GONE now. ;) I'm betting they come back.
-It might be DLC, but I think we'll get an ARMS character slot. If they did Spring Man / Ribbon Girl they could flip the script on how Little Mac is: excellent reach and mobility, but on the lighter side and easy to launch.
-I think they'll sneak in another third party character. I'm partial to the idea of Shovel Knight (it got Amiibo!)
-Breath of the Wild is getting some love because its version of Link is definitely in there, going on the video. No expectations, but if this involves some reworking of Link I wouldn't be surprised and wouldn't complain. He's been pretty similar for years. Zelda, Ganondorf and Toon Link would still be there to represent the earlier eras.

In the wishing category, I think Smash Tour (Wii U) and Smash Run (3DS) would both be fun to play online with your Switch friends. Hoping they find a way to put them in or bring them back later.

No expectations, but other characters I could believe for DLC or new additions at release beyond ARMS & Shovel Knight...

-Rex, Xenoblade 2 (Shulk set a precedent)
-Celica, Fire Emblem Echoes (magic + swords, like Robin)
-Snake (for the fans!)
-Somebody from Soul Calibur (Given Pac-Man, Bandai Namco might be up for it)

Last edited:

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
I just really want the Ice Climbers back. They were the most conspicuous Brawl-to-4 cut (since they'd been in multiple games) and only cut because of the 3DS and its crippled CPU.

Actually, this would be a good opportunity to bring everyone back, less Pichu, Young Link and (depending on how hard Konami is to deal with) Snake. The ultimate Smash roster.

ToonJay723

Staff member
I just really want the Ice Climbers back. They were the most conspicuous Brawl-to-4 cut (since they'd been in multiple games) and only cut because of the 3DS and its crippled CPU.

Actually, this would be a good opportunity to bring everyone back, less Pichu, Young Link and (depending on how hard Konami is to deal with) Snake. The ultimate Smash roster.
They probably won't put Snake back in to respect Kojima. Maybe another Konami character like Bomberman or Simon Belmont.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
We don't know what happened with Snake. Kojima was still at Konami when the roster for the Wii U and 3DS games were finalized (circa 2012). Though the falling out certainly didn't help.

Scrappy-Fan92

Since it's implied that development started in 2016, I do hope that such a short turnaround time means Sakurai will look back at some other characters that may have missed the boat over the years and reconsider their chances.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Pichu should come back as I want every Pokemon generation to have a playable representative to mark 20 years of the franchise being in the West. Pichu would, as it did in Melee, represent the second Gen.

Pikachu, Charizard, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo will likely be back to rep the first, and I'd like Meowth in because the anime made it iconic due to Team Rocket. The third generation can be represented by Blaziken and all forms of Deoxys as separate playable characters, Lucario will likely be back to represent G4, Zoroark can rep G5, Greninja can come back to rep G6, and Mimikyu can rep G7.

As far as Konami goes, it will likely take a complete regime change for any of their characters to be considered, but I really want Snake back. He was the first ever third-party confirmed for Smash, that holds a lot of weight (as much as being one of the Original 12).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.
Eurbane wrote on Ghostbuster's profile.
Nickelodeon hasen’t done much with premieres recently.
When you first learn that teenage characters are voiced by people over 30.
Kevin-Hart.jpg
Am I the only person here that is obsessed with concert setlists? For some reason, I just really enjoy keeping track of what bands and artists play live on a regular basis. My obsession did earn me a mod position on setlist.fm a long time ago, which I will always be proud of.

Featured Posts