Super Drags

Latest News & Videos

GrantM

Nov 11, 2001
Ratings
42 1
Glasgow, Scotland
Visit site
Anyone here seen this yet?, it dropped on Netflix yesterday and so far I've seen 2 of the 5 episodes. If no one here has heard of it, Super Drags is a Brazilian animated series about 3 gay men who moonlight as drag queen superheroes. So far it's not been that great but I don't think it's reached Paradise PD levels of below the bottom of the barrel garbage.......yet

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,820 10
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
I know it's NOT right to judge something from a trailer alone... Especially if you want to develop yourself as a critical person worth something, but I'm willing to make an exception this time around.

How and why did THIS get made? THAT is my real question. It doesn't even look good - it really is destined to be a product of its time and deserves to be maligned as such, from the looks of things alone, at least IMHO.

Sorry, but I don't think I'll be watching it anytime soon. Seeing that trailer and being embarrassed and cringed up by it was more than enough for me, unfortunately.

I think I'll just go back to waiting to see if Disenchantment, Final Space, Hilda, and Harvey Street Kids can keep up their good work for me, instead of wasting too much more time thinking about this, honestly.

Rhaynebow

Aug 11, 2013
Ratings
407 1
New York
I saw the trailer and it reeks of divisiveness. I personally thought it looked hilariously out there and one of the reasons why I’m enjoying this wave of Netflix animation. The LGBT community is probably gonna nod their heads and be the logical ones understanding that plenty of people are going to love this show, while the SJWs who let their labels define who they are, are going to go insane and call this every -phobic applicable.

The whole point of diversity in media is to be more colorful, but it’s counterintuitive to put said diverse characters on pedestals that can do no wrong. I’m glad that this is a comedic, hectic adobe Illustrator assault to the eyes with drag queens, it can be added to the Uncle Grandpas and Future Worms of cartoons with ridiculous plots. It shouldn’t be obligated to represent ANY group. If the three leads are only defined as being gay, well congrats, LGBT has become so normalized that they’ve joined the circle of 80s-90s tokenism of the black character being cool, the Asian character being smart, the southerner being dumb, the British guy being snooty, the Russian guy being intimidating. If people are gonna be insulted, they need to look in the mirror and realize that it’s not up to television (or in this case.....) to validate their existence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 24, 2016
Ratings
470 3
I don't think this show is TOO horrible, but as someone who likes Paradise PD, Super Drags isn't my thing.

I'm thinking this show may have been made with Netflix's spare animation budget.

The only thing I "hate" about this show, is the dubbing, the lip syncing is very off, I know it wasn't originally recorded in English, but still.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,861 11
Framingham, MA
I saw the trailer and it reeks of divisiveness. I personally thought it looked hilariously out there and one of the reasons why I’m enjoying this wave of Netflix animation. The LGBT community is probably gonna nod their heads and be the logical ones understanding that plenty of people are going to love this show, while the SJWs who let their labels define who they are, are going to go insane and call this every -phobic applicable.
Sorry, I zoned out at everything past SJW. It's telling when folks use the notion of people finding social justice as a pejorative.

Also, weren't you defending John Kricfalusi in an earlier thread?

Rhaynebow

Aug 11, 2013
Ratings
407 1
New York
Sorry, I zoned out at everything past SJW. It's telling when folks use the notion of people finding social justice as a pejorative.

Also, weren't you defending John Kricfalusi in an earlier thread?
Why yes I was. But I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t look back on my previous posts as a reason to discredit anything I say in the present. This thread asked for opinions and I gave mine. You’re the only one whose only input was simply ignoring everything I had to say because I used a word you didn’t like.

In any case, look online and in regards to this particular show, some people are defending it because it’s from a different culture. It’s Brazilian which has a different, much more oppressed LGBT community. It’s been made by Brazilians, for Brazilians and most importantly for people who get that LGBT portrayals are not limited to America with American struggles.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,861 11
Framingham, MA
Why yes I was. But I’d appreciate it if you wouldn’t look back on my previous posts as a reason to discredit anything I say in the present. This thread asked for opinions and I gave mine. You’re the only one whose only input was simply ignoring everything I had to say because I used a word you didn’t like.

In any case, look online and in regards to this particular show, some people are defending it because it’s from a different culture. It’s Brazilian which has a different, much more oppressed LGBT community. It’s been made by Brazilians, for Brazilians and most importantly for people who get that LGBT portrayals are not limited to America with American struggles.

Fair enough.

Last edited:

Perla Magica

Freeform? What's THAT?!
Jul 29, 2016
Ratings
104 2
Poland (Europe)
I've watched all 5 episodes, and I'm gonna say it wasn't really bad. I expected some typical modern adult cartoon, but all I got is an simple "monster of the week" show with a cool story arc. If I'm gonna watch season 2, I'm definitely gonna watch for Vedete, best drag queen character in this show.

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,602 11
Well I just watched the 1st episode and I was kinda bored. It feels like the show is one long unfunny gay with bad pacing and bland characters. At least Paradise P.D was at least somewhat interesting but this is just ugh.

Watching the 2nd episode and I realized my main problem, the characters are too similar. Yeah sure the black one is a bit more meaner and the big guy is nicer but they don't really differentiate from one another.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PapaGreg

Drinking my sorrows
Nov 1, 2013
Ratings
1,602 11
I feel as if the show would've been better if not only the characters were different from one another but I had no knowledge of drag culture. Hear me out, have the black guy as a former gang member, the young one as a college student and the balding one an office drone. They are later sort of forced to become super drags and all of them have mixed opinions of it(the young one likes it because it makes him feel like a magical girl) which means not only we get three different personalities working off from one another but people learn about Drag culture as the series goes on.

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

Should I come back honestly? I don't think anybody missed me, but idk.
DC Superhero Girls, Infinite Train, Victor & Valentino, Thundercats Roar, Care Bears: Unlock The Magic, High Guardian Spice, Owl House, Amphibia, The Steven Universe Movie, She-Ra S2 and on, MLP S9/New Equestria Girls Specials, Rescue Bots Academy, Season 2 of Craig of the Creek, New OK KO Let's Be Heroes,etc. So much awesome animated content coming in 2019 it's crazy!! Its a great time to be a fan of animation!!
https://youtu.be/OGaZr1-0O7o Hey if Wolverine can be rated-R, and if Harley Quinn can get an R-rated animated series, plus if John Bloddy Constantine can be in Justice League Action, I can't see why Deadpool can't be PG-13.
>Voltron's final season
>Spiderverse hits theaters
>end of finals week

Friday can't come soon enough.