"Super Bowl Past-Blast: 2000" Talkback

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
How bout 1995 next year? That's the year I was born. Or 1996, to see if the ads from that Bowl were as zany as the ones from the Atlanta Olympics later that year?

Scattered opinions:
-I actually remember Tony Hawk being in the "sneak peeks" of Tarzan from some Disney VHS tapes prior to its release. I believe they used him as a model for Tarzan's vine-surfing (like Disney used to do back in their hand-drawn days)?
-Now having All Star primarily associated with bizarre Shrek memes, Neil Cicierega mashup albums, and surprisingly good mashups with other meme songs, it's surreal to see it used without a hint of irony in that ABC promo from a year before Shrek.
-Ah, the year of WAZZUP. And that Wizard of Oz FedEx commercial that I remember seeing a few years before I read this article.
-Ahhh that Oldsmobile commercial is gonna be stuck in my head all day now.
-And here's everything you need to know about the dot com ads from the 2000 Super Bowl. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_commercials_during_Super_Bowl_XXXIV

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Huh...this lists the Pets.com ad as airing during the game. But I've got a full recording of the game right here and the ad never happens during it.

TheMisterFree

I... actually didn't mind the "Wazzup" ad. Partially because the audio's really low and buzzy. And I was baffled by that Oldsmobile ad too; it was in its' death spiral by that point, so presumably they were trying any and all tactics to get peoples' attention.

But what I was really hoping to see was the original teaser for Clerks: The Animated Series. Was it on the tape, or did you not have it? Admittedly, someone else uploaded it on YT, but still. (How ABC screwed that show is the stuff of legends, and of course had everything to do with Millionaire. Speaking of, I get the feeling that ABC's promo department was intentionally putting Regis in everything as a burn towards the scheduling guys and the execs who were responsible for the burnout of the show to begin with.)

twilicorn

Huh...this lists the Pets.com ad as airing during the game. But I've got a full recording of the game right here and the ad never happens during it.
maybe that was an error and it actually was during the pregame. Which is also where the Clerks ad would have been. Unless you already have the whole pregame.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
In some cases I have the pregame. In this case I don't.

Y'know what's funny? I remember the Clerks spot airing, yet it wasn't on here. Maybe it means some regions didn't get all the ads.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
UPDATE: I went back and inspected the recording thoroughly. I missed a break somehow. Pets.com was in that one. It's being added now.
Clerks is nowhere to be found, though. It's possible the local affiliate pasted over the promo with one of their ads.

Dsneybuf

Yikes - judging by the years mentioned in that Nuveen commercial, it takes place after the year in which the actual Christopher Reeve passed away...
Also, call me odd, but I found the second Budweiser dog commercial less predictable than the first - maybe I've already seen/read too many stories about animals considering humans their pets.

pacman000

It’s root bear & a candy cigar!
No ad for excite? Too bad. But I think they collapsed in 1999, so it makes sense.

Oddly, their homepage's still around. They haven't changed much since '99. http://excite.com/

They were bought by a small company which eventually merged with AskJeeves. Their search tech was bought be InfoSpace, who shut everything down in favor of meta searching; that's why excite's search engine doesn't mirror Ask's results; the two companies have long-standing contracts. I'm a bit sorry excite's not a real search engine anymore, their "Subject Grouping" feature sounded nice.

Not sure if this is true or not due to licensing to national dairy boards in 1995 giving regional and national syndication, but I heard the "Got Milk?" commercial "Heaven" premiered during the 1994 Super Bowl. Was it only shown in California market or does your tape have the ad? Granted, it would probably say "California Milk Processor Fluid Advisory Board" instead of "Sponsored by *REAL Seal* America's Dairy Farmers", but still. I research the history of the campaign ("Got Milk?: The Book" is the most resourceful book if you're interested in the history of the slogan)

Did it premiere during the 1994 Super Bowl nationally with top ad dollars from the California Milk Processor Board, or is this a myth?

(Sorry to go off-topic, I was only requesting a Super Bowl article for next year.)

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Not sure if this is true or not due to licensing to national dairy boards in 1995 giving regional and national syndication, but I heard the "Got Milk?" commercial "Heaven" premiered during the 1994 Super Bowl. Was it only shown in California market or does your tape have the ad? Granted, it would probably say "California Milk Processor Fluid Advisory Board" instead of "Sponsored by *REAL Seal* America's Dairy Farmers", but still. I research the history of the campaign ("Got Milk?: The Book" is the most resourceful book if you're interested in the history of the slogan)

Did it premiere during the 1994 Super Bowl nationally with top ad dollars from the California Milk Processor Board, or is this a myth?

(Sorry to go off-topic, I was only requesting a Super Bowl article for next year.)
I actually already did 1994, but it was based on a collection of Super Bowl ads for that year that was already online. I didn't have any tapes of the games at that time. Now I do, and I've noticed some errors in that collection...but I don't have time to correct it right now.

twilicorn

I actually already did 1994, but it was based on a collection of Super Bowl ads for that year that was already online. I didn't have any tapes of the games at that time. Now I do, and I've noticed some errors in that collection...but I don't have time to correct it right now.
so yours might not have that milk ad the other person mentioned? did you watch your copy yet?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Nick KCA press site is now gone

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs

Featured Posts