"Super Bowl Past-Blast: 1999" Talkback

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
what a great birthday present! And just when Canada will get the American Super Bowl commercials for the first time without replacing them with Canadian commercials so our networks can squeeze some cash out of them.

Dsneybuf

How many of these ads do YOU remember?
I had the first Crispy M&M's commercial pretty much memorized, because of how often it showed after the Super Bowl. At least two others felt vaguely familiar. Regarding the other commercials:
  • Cuba Gooding Jr.'s Pepsi One commercials feel hard to watch knowing that he'd go from an Oscar winner, to part of Disney Animation's worst hand-drawn movie, among other duds.
  • Your comment about Patrick Warburton making everything great sounds even more agreeable after watching the first season of A Series of Unfortunate Events ("So what if we can see Lemony Snicket's face now, Warburton does a better job narrating this show than Jude Law did the movie!").
  • Potentially interesting anecdote about the Rock: He tried to venture outside of kid-friendly fare by pursuing the role of a James Bond villain, SPECTRE's Mr. Hinx, but the studio deemed him too expensive to play a character who only says one word. I wouldn't advise feeling sorry for him, though, with Moana appearing to fare better in terms of both reviews and domestic box office (deservedly so, if you ask me).
  • That Progressive commercial aired the same year I first saw ET, after my parents bought a video of it as a souvenir from Universal Studios Hollywood. Unfortunately, it ended up becoming one of the movies that made me believe Steven Spielberg makes a worse director than producer. (Also, I don't remember the ride making much sense.)

Last edited:

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
  • That Progressive commercial aired the same year I first saw ET, after my parents bought a video of it as a souvenir from Universal Studios Hollywood. Unfortunately, it ended up becoming one of the movies that made me believe Steven Spielberg makes a worse director than producer. (Also, I don't remember the ride making much sense.)
Hey hey! ET is directed pretty well. During the scene where Elliot has to say goodbye, it never crosses your mind that one of the two players in that scene is a puppet.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
As I write this, Universal is preparing to relaunch the Mummy series again, this time with Tom Cruise in the lead, no Fraser, no Weisz, no silliness whatsoever...and from the looks of it, no charisma. I am not enthusiastic.
Then perhaps the screwed-up Imax trailer and its silly Tom Cruise screams might be more interesting to you.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts