"Summer Camp Island" News and Discussion Thread

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
This is the news and discussion thread for the upcoming series Summer Camp Island, created by Julia Pott.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/summer-...network-julia-pott-sundance-short-1201896930/

Should be well noted that the pilot has yet to be uploaded on normal outlets (and it was made back in 2016), so be on the lookout on the pilot being uploaded soon. Also note that this is the second series to be solely created by a female, so progress.

Last edited:

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Oh hey, a new CN original. That's most definitely reassuring, even if it something none of us heard of before now. (I bet most people are going to shoot this down for not being Infinity Train)

This doesn't sound fantastic, but I can easily see it being one of those feel-good shows, which is perfectly fine.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Nice to finally hear about a new Cartoon Network show. I'll check it out. Hopefully, it's good. And yeah, I can see people asking where Infinity Train s in response to this announcement.

Toon4Thought

Nice to finally hear about a new Cartoon Network show. I'll check it out. Hopefully, it's good. And yeah, I can see people asking where Infinity Train s in response to this announcement.

I mean, that's exactly what they did to My Knight and Me, though to be fair that show wasn't very anticipated to begin with. This at least has more buildup.

szjdfgs

I still need to warm myself up to Pott's style in order to fully enjoy this show, but I'm at least more comfortable knowing that there's another original coming down the pipeline. After months and months of cancellations and no announcements, this is such a relief to hear.

We still need more of them while the ones from the early 10s slowly die, but this is a good start.

Except dang it, I'm really gonna have to get used to that artstyle so bad.

Eldorado

Infinity Train is more of a Over The Garden Wall/The Royals type mini-series storyline instead of a full-on series.

Toon4Thought

I know, but I still wouldn't be surprised if I see anyone asking where it is.
The way I see it, it'll be less asking and more "This sucks, bring us Infinity Train already!". Either that, or they'll think that that show got passed in favor of this, much like the misconception that Popeye got canned in favor of the Emoji Movie.

Infinity Train is more of a Over The Garden Wall/The Royals type mini-series storyline instead of a full-on series.
A ton of people are worried that we won't even get that, probably because of how much faith they've lost in CN.

Sparkster24

Well at least it's good to hear that a new original show is going to happen, and this will mark the second time that a female creator has made a pilot being greenlighted.

On the other hand, I just can't see the artstyle working on the channel's part (not a huge fan on it). Maybe it'll be a decent show that stands out as those simple, slice of life shows similar to Clarence or Harvey Beaks with a unique artstyle. But it'll take me some time to get used to her style a bit often to appreciate.

Last edited:

Eldorado

Well at least it's good to hear that a new original show is going to happen, and this will mark the second time that a female creator has made a pilot being greenlighted.

On the other hand, I just can't see the artstyle working on the channel's part (not a huge fan on it). Maybe it'll be a decent show that stands out as those simple, slice of life shows similar to Clarence or Harvey Beaks with a unique artstyle. But it'll take me some time to get used to her style a bit often to appreciate Iit a bit.

The fact that Steven Universe has become so popular has shown CN that women can create good shows just as much as men.

As for the art I was just about to say that the art should look better once it becomes a full series (like with Clarence and even Adventure Time).

To be honest, I'm still waiting on OK K.O. being made into a full series outside of the shorts and it would also be nice to have Victor & Valentino be made into a series as well. Still, this series looks nice even though we're just getting a more fantastical version of Camp Lazlo.

DeanBurrito25

Finally, some news about an upcoming Cartoon Network original after what feels like ages.

If you go to the Cartoon Network Studios website and click on "Our Studio", there's a little blurb that acknowledges Summer Camp Island, and provides a link to Julia Potts' website that has some images from the short, which I'll put here.

There's also a snippet that was uploaded by Toronto International Film Festival:

Seems like it'll be a cute, simple show if the initial short is anything to go by.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active

That's what I'm saying, and the way that I looked at the storyline as such, may not be long-lasting as SU and others are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active

You mean it'll probably be the between 2nd and 3rd since if you haven't forgot that we have Julia Vickerman (for Twelve Forever) is one with the other two.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Glad to see there's something coming out on Cartoon Network soon.
(I bet most people are going to shoot this down for not being Infinity Train)
Definitely. With all the thumbs down on their videos and the constant "This isn't Infinity Train" comments, I wouldn't be surprised if Cartoon Network stops releasing their pilots to the public.

NeoplanDan

Occasionally Active

Definitely. With all the thumbs down on their videos and the constant "This isn't Infinity Train" comments, I wouldn't be surprised if Cartoon Network stops releasing their pilots to the public.

It ain't like Infinity Train is like the new Steven Universe, I mean the way everyone making comments about it in every single video that CN releases in their YouTube channel, to me personally, I don't find any high expectations for the pilot, since it is not high tier to me for now idk for later.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
Nice, a new CN original! This might calm people who are worried about Cartoon Network's future.

The art style may look odd, but I think that also makes it look pretty distinct from the other CN cartoons. It looks better in motion than in stills, if you ask me.

I still would like a few more originals greenlit, though. Who knows what other surprises are in store?

EdCNPowerpuffDrama

The reason why I never read Youtube/Instagram comments when I watch videos uploaded by CN. Those people are very annoying and act like little brats when they don't get something that they wanted.

Anyway, good to hear CN will finally make a new cartoon. Definitely looking forward to this cartoon. Hope they will turn Victor and Valentino into a series as well, which is a show that I think little boys would really like.

szjdfgs

Extreme desperation from the fans' part. They see the network pull a bad move and then instantly find any reason to blame it. I thought it was general YouTube idiocy like I've been accustomed to, but these are the comments that get the most upvotes and likes.

whnanana.png

I'm all for OK KO, Infinity Train and Twelve Forever being greenlit as much as the next person, but these people don't help at all.

Then again, maybe it's wise to simply not pay any attention to YouTube comments since when are you ever gonna find anything worth reading there?

DeanBurrito25

It's just best to ignore those types of people. The YouTube comments section isn't anything worth putting a lot of stock into.

At the rate things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if CN gives individual show greenlights their own press releases instead of solely relying on upfronts anymore, although the latter would certainly be appreciated even if it's not expected.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts