"Suicide Squad" Feature Film Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cortez2301

Warner Bros has announced it!

SUICIDE SQUAD
AUGUST 5, 2016

It feels good to be bad…Assemble a team of the world’s most dangerous, incarcerated Super Villains, provide them with the most powerful arsenal at the government’s disposal, and send them off on a mission to defeat an enigmatic, insuperable entity. U.S. intelligence officer Amanda Waller has determined only a secretly convened group of disparate, despicable individuals with next to nothing to lose will do. However, once they realize they weren’t picked to succeed but chosen for their patent culpability when they inevitably fail, will the Suicide Squad resolve to die trying, or decide it’s every man for himself?

Discuss the upcoming DC Comics-based feature film!

Wonderwall

Staff member
Haha I was just about to say that WB and DC seem to be going for their lesser known characters. I don't mind it as I really like some of these characters but its hard to justify having Jonah Hex and Suicide Squad getting movies yet Superman, Wonder Woman, and Flash can't get anywhere with their movies. What's next The Losers set for 2012.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
It's probably easier to make a movie about a lesser known character. People don't have such set-in-stone expectations and won't recall in horror if you don't meet them, as a lot of people did with Superman Returns.

Suicide Squad is one of the top 10 DC comics of the 1980s and one of my favorite series of all time. It's also a very flexible concept (really bad badguys go on dangerous missions to shave time off their sentences). It'll be interesting to see what they do with it if it actually gets made, because they have a lot of latitude with it.

Cortez2301

Haha I was just about to say that WB and DC seem to be going for their lesser known characters. I don't mind it as I really like some of these characters but its hard to justify having Jonah Hex and Suicide Squad getting movies yet Superman, Wonder Woman, and Flash can't get anywhere with their movies. What's next The Losers set for 2012.
You're absolutely right. I mean they make good movies about these lesser known characters but then it always comes down to the marketing and box office results.

EinBebop

Data Dog
JusticeLeagueAmericaAnnual1990.jpg

Master Moron

Are the Suicide Squad those guys from Justice League Unlimited that tried to break into the Justice League base? Like, Plastique and Captain Boomerang and some other guys?

Young Justice

Silent Master Apprentice
Are the Suicide Squad those guys from Justice League Unlimited that tried to break into the Justice League base? Like, Plastique and Captain Boomerang and some other guys?

Actually those guys were based on the Suicide Squad comic series released by DC during the middle 80's.

The most interesting story from them, imho, was when Batman discovered the government was using the super-villains to perform political missions and tried to take them down.

Manhunter

Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy
Who should definitely be in the movie:

Amanda Waller
Rick Flag
Bronze Tiger
Deadshot
Captain Boomerang

Anyone else is negotiable.

This would also be a great chance to introduce Flash (or a reference from Captain Boomerang) or The Question. The latter practically thrives on this sort of thing.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013

Best comic book ever published.

Manhunter, you need another girl in there. I'd say Barbara Gordon, but that would be hard for a movie to explain, so either the Enchantress, Vixen or Nightshade. Enchantress and Nightshade are more likely. Nightshade and Enchantress could actually be sort of a package deal, since their origins are tied together.

Expanding on the core might draw in more viewers, too. If they hadn't made Doctor Light a rapist I would suggest using him and killing him in a humorous way in the movie. Nemesis is also too cool a character to waste.

It would probably draw more viewers if instead of using characters that have appeared in the series, they ditched that altogether and used characters people know from other properties, like Metallo or Harley Quinn or something.

For villains, it would make a lot of sense for the Sucide Squad to fight an updated version of the superpowered terrorists The Jihad. There should also be a high body-count to live up to its title, both squaddies and Jihadists.

The Weed Of Cri

Smarter than you
They killed the Justice League movie and THIS is what they come up with for a replacement? A movie full of characters nobody except hard-core comic fans ever heard of?

Suicide Squad will feature a mix of well-known and unknown villains recruited by the government to accomplish a task deemed too dangerous for superheroes.

"Well-known" villains? Are they gonna put The Joker and Lex Luthor in the Suicide Squad? Because they're the only DC villains who are "well-known" to John Q. Public.

Jordacar

I'm interested to see where this goes. DC villains haven't gotten a lot of live-action play, even the A-list villains, because WB is always revamping Bats & Supes.

I've got the perfect tagline for the posters right here:

THIS [FALL]

SAVE THE WORLD

OR DIE

sdp

miscrave
I'll believe this when I see it. I mean how many movies has DC announced? Tons and they've all gone to development hell.

If it ever happens it could be awesome, the concept is great its not "another" superhero movie and all the villains would only be recognized by comic fans, which is fine.

Knight

Emerald Knight
Who should definitely be in the movie:

Amanda Waller
Rick Flag
Bronze Tiger
Deadshot
Captain Boomerang

Anyone else is negotiable.

Agrees. This is pretty much the core of the team. This could be really good.

Wonderwall

Staff member
I'll believe this when I see it. I mean how many movies has DC announced? Tons and they've all gone to development hell.

That's mostly true only for the bigger names like Flash, currently Superman, and especially Wonder Woman. You could lump Green Lantern in there but currently that is already far beyond those prior three in development so its sort of in its own class. But the lesser knowns have a good shot as they don't have those crazy expectations and aren't going to be expected to make Spider Man or Batman money. Jonah Hex is already cast and is supposed to start filming later in the year so that gives me hope for Suicide Squad.

Jordacar

The only thing I'm worried about at this point is Justin Marks writing the script. He's not off to a great start with Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts