"Stranger Things Season 2 1/2" Talkback

Latest News & Videos

Peter Paltridge

Out To Lunch
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net

The biggest storyline in Platypus Comix history begins today. This is just the opening act; the foundation of what's to come. Stick with it; it's going to get INSANE.

I approached Stranger Things Season 3 with caution, not knowing what to expect despite the deafening hype. Seeing that every season's conflict just seems to be an escalation of the one before it, you can only do that so many times before hitting diminishing returns. But....it wasn't this time. I LOVED Season 3.

The writing was great, the cinematography was vastly improved, all the jokes landed, the suspenseful scenes were geniunely intense, and that mall was amazing-looking. And the characters' personalities were so vibrant and bold you couldn't help but love them, even the ones that just arrived like Robin. The Duffers hit it out of the park, I thought.

And THEN

the season ended with Hopper supposedly dead, El powerless and JOYCE MOVING AWAY, TAKING HALF THE CAST WITH HER! THEY'RE ALL SEPARATED AND THEY'LL NEVER ADVENTURE AGAIN, SOB SOB! Though I have no doubt that some of these things are going to reverse themselves in the following season, who even knows when that season will show up. You get me so attached to these guys and then ya DESTROY EVERYTHING. What a cruel surprise at the end of a season so well-designed. It's like producing a giant chocolate cake in front of a small child, and then smashing it with a sledgehammer after he takes one bite.

Worse yet, there's no telling if the season that will resolve that stuff is going to be the last one or not. At different times they've promised four seasons, at others five. Imagine waiting another two years or so and, despite any possible happy endings, mixing it with feelings of having to say goodbye to the cast for good. Don't you want more? Don't you want just ONE MORE adventure with the original gang unspoiled and together?

So do I. Let's do this!

Reactions: John Pannozzi

Zorak Masaki

May 6, 2002
Visit site
I literally just started Stranger Things (so far I've only seen the first two episodes of the entire series). Is this going to be very spoiler-heavy or still enjoyable for those who dont know everything about the show up to this point?

Peter Paltridge

Out To Lunch
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
I literally just started Stranger Things (so far I've only seen the first two episodes of the entire series). Is this going to be very spoiler-heavy or still enjoyable for those who dont know everything about the show up to this point?
Knowledge of the first two seasons' events is required -- so come back after you've gotten that far. I hope you can finish them quickly.

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
www.youtube.com
Unfortunately, it looks like someone other than me will have to start the TV Tropes page, since I still haven't seen any of Stranger Things.

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
SO MUCH PAIN
Unfortunately, it looks like someone other than me will have to start the TV Tropes page, since I still haven't seen any of Stranger Things.
*sigh* I'll do it.
I have a confession, I never really read Platypus Comix for the comics, but I'll start on that one and put together a nifty tropes page.

But yeah the ending of Season 3 was a big yikes from me. Fingers crossed that season 4 WON'T take nearly two years to show up. The pressure's gonna eat me alive.
On an unrelated note, since I've started watching Netflix again, I'll probably start Hilda or She-Ra next.

Peter Paltridge

Out To Lunch
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Chapter Two is now live!

Ideally, a better cutoff point for the end of Chapter Two would have been twelve pages ahead of where it currently hangs, but I can only draw so fast, especially when multiple characters appear in every panel like they did this time -- sometimes on bicycles.

Some of my favorite scenes in this story don't occur until the final chapters, but I do like the kids plummeting their bikes off a cliff because, as it turns out, Eleven has only seen the FIRST HALF of ET.

Peter Paltridge

Out To Lunch
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Chapter Three is up! That's 39 pages within one month...and that's not counting BANG. I haven't achieved that kind of output in a while.

One minor nitpick I have about the show, and about period settings in general, is that they seem firmly obsessed with the culture that was current at the time, when that's not how culture actually works. Culture then, as is now, is obsessed with the past, usually the past that is 20 to 30 years old. In the 1980s, you would have heard a lot about the 1950s. Stranger Things is missing oldies stations full of doo-wop, and flashback drive-in burger joints, and creepy middle-aged men who never got over their crushes on Annette Funicello. You can't just restrict a period piece to what YOU feel fuzzies about, not if you want to get it right.

Reactions: John Pannozzi

Peter Paltridge

Out To Lunch
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Chapter Four is up, and it's comprised of what would have been chapters Four and Five, had glitches not prevented me from putting up the completed Chapter Four two weeks ago. As a result, a whopping 22 pages have just been added to the story!

I knew there would be a break between parts three and four, I just didn't know how long it would be (six friggin' months it turns out). The downtime was necessary, though, to get a running start, because once the story picks up from THIS point, it doesn't let up until the very end, and any extended breaks would kill the momentum. So I found a natural stopping point, when everyone goes to sleep, and then....Christmas and a bunch of other things happened.

Since I don't have the writer's bible in front of me, I have to take a guess at these characters' personalities based on the existing seasons of the show. My take on the original gang of four is that Mike is the impulsive one, Lucas is the smart one, Dustin is the goofy one and Will is the timid one. And Eleven can have any of these traits, because as the center of the story, she handles both funny and serious scenes and needs to be the most three-dimensional character.

I was thinking one day about how some shows end by showing "flash-forwards" to what the characters are doing in the future. And then I thought such an ending might be a mistake for Stranger Things, since it would take the characters out of the 80s (and you darn well know Netflix is going to force the story to continue at some point, rendering such an ending non-canon). Based on that, I thought it might be fun to see what Mike's own vision of his future would be, based on the trajectory his life seemed to be heading. It was very fun to make. Lots of CRT video phones and other items the 80s assumed the 21st century would have.

If Chapter Four had appeared when it was supposed to, Smurfs would have been playing on the TVs. It was Smurfs until yesterday, when I thought "LOL, what if they were watching GLOW?" Season two of GLOW happens during the same time period as season 3 of ST. The only problem is that the Netflix GLOW only has the series airing in one region (California). You could have watched the real GLOW in Hawkins though, if there was a Hawkins.

I don't know if Murray knows who El is (he knows of the lab, thanks to Nancy, but...) There was an "introduction" scene that I wrote but didn't use.

MURRAY: "I don't think I've seen YOU around before....what's your name?"
ELEVEN: "El."
MURRAY: "The letter L? Were your parents hippies?"
ELEVEN: "No, E.....L......it's short for........actually, never mind what it's short for."

Subtle joke: Dustin puts on his helmet over his hat. Because what is he going to do, take off his hat?

Part of the reason this part took so long is that there are SO MANY PANELS WITH CARS. Cars are an absolute pain to sketch, especially from weird angles. Thank goodness for our modern age and 3D reference models. Looking at the finished colored pages, most of the cars turned out fine, but getting there wasn't easy.

We lost Erica's scene! Now she doesn't appear! Originally when they ran into the unfinished mall, they heard a noise and hid. Dustin asked Lucas to casually peek around a corner. Lucas peeks and...it's just Erica standing there.

"Oh for crying out loud, you guys, it's my sister," Lucas says while standing up. "Even if she IS part of Four's army, I'm pretty sure I can take her."
Erica then proceeds to beat the living tar out of him. Funny stuff, but it broke up the tension of a situation that was supposed to be getting more dire.