Stop Motion survives but not hand-drawn animation in Theaters?

powerjake

Banned
In North America for the movie theaters, they phased out the traditional hand-drawn animation in favor of entirely CGI animated movies, but how does Stop Motion manage to survive in theaters better than hand-drawn animation?.

powerjake

Banned
Why do animation companies in the United States abandoned hand-drawn animation but Stop Motion still survives?.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Maybe because it looks more realistic? I mean, really good looking CGI is very life like. Maybe it's the same with stop motion?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It's because it looks and feels unusual. 2D animation fell out of favor simply because people were bored with it. Stop-motion is still a novelty in the way computer animation used to be.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
To be fair, stop-motion isn't quite as prevalent, itself. Even Aardman has embraced CG over the years. If anyone is keeping stop-motion afloat on the big screen, it's Laika, whose films don't exactly generate big bucks, but will likely continue to float around as long as Travis Knight still has his daddy's Nike money to play with.

Just like hand-drawn, the other major studios don't really play with stop-motion either. I don't think Disney has embraced the format since Frankenweenie nearly a decade ago, and Dreamworks since their ties with Aardman expired. Netflix has been experimenting with animation lately, but they're not exactly interested in theatrical releases.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think stop-motion is all that prevalent, itself. As to why you're more likely to see a stop-motion in theaters than hand-drawn animation, ask Travis Knight.

powerjake

Banned
It's because it looks and feels unusual. 2D animation fell out of favor simply because people were bored with it. Stop-motion is still a novelty in the way computer animation used to be.

Makes me wonder if hand-drawn animation will ever return to movie theaters in North America in the future.

I like how Stop motion still has ways to return and entertain people.

Pooky

Staff member
Aardman have good enough brand recognition to return profit in Europe and through home video, merchandising etc.

Laika got that Nike money.

powerjake

Banned
The odd thing is Stop motion movies never made as much money as CGI movies from Disney, Pixar or Dreamworks in the box office?.

Game Freak 4

TV Tropes is Ruining My Life!
Makes me wonder if hand-drawn animation will ever return to movie theaters in North America in the future.

I like how Stop motion still has ways to return and entertain people.
Never Mind film.

Can Hand-Drawn Animation return in general? On Television or Streaming?

Cave-Cat-87

I, for one, am disappointed with the fact that 2D animation has been dropped in favor of Flash animation and 3D animation when it comes to television, and ditto for it being dropped in favor of 3D animation in regards to movie theaters. I do recall, however, that Disney did attempt to return to form with that "Winnie-the-Pooh" movie from 2011, but that ended up bombing, not because of it being hand-drawn like a lot of people say, but because it ended up going hand-in-hand against "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2", which was actually a bad move. So, the way I see it, had Disney not released "Winnie-the-Pooh" on the same day as "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2", then it probably wouldn't have bombed. Of course, that's just my opinion.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I, for one, am disappointed with the fact that 2D animation has been dropped in favor of Flash animation and 3D animation when it comes to television, and ditto for it being dropped in favor of 3D animation in regards to movie theaters. I do recall, however, that Disney did attempt to return to form with that "Winnie-the-Pooh" movie from 2011, but that ended up bombing, not because of it being hand-drawn like a lot of people say, but because it ended up going hand-in-hand against "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2", which was actually a bad move. So, the way I see it, had Disney not released "Winnie-the-Pooh" on the same day as "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2", then it probably wouldn't have bombed. Of course, that's just my opinion.
I don't really think Winnie The Pooh 2011 would've done well financially even it came out at a better time. Winnie The Pooh theatrical movies generally underperform at the box (with the sole exceptions probably being The Tigger and The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh), usually only making a little bit back.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts