Still swinging after all these years: Happy 25th to the one, the only "Spider-Man: The Animated Series!"

Latest News & Videos

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
It would be nice if a movie could be made to finish off the series. Of course I guess the 90’s were about shows ending on cliff-hangers. “ALF”, “Spider-Man”...
Not trying sound patronizing, but Spider-Man TAS didn't end on a cliffhanger. Heck, it didn't even end with any major unfinished plot-threads. Kingpin is behind bars, Spider-Man fullfilled his grand destiny that Madame Web kept talking about and he is even going to be reunited with Mary Jane. Would it be more satisfying (and frankly, better writing), if we actually saw said reunion on-screen? Certainly, but overall Spider-Man TAS has one of the most definitive endings of any Marvel cartoons. One more season or tie-in movie would just be "clean-up" of smaller threads, but not a story that absolutely needs to be told. At least in my opinion.

Reactions: dmxx116

Trevor

Jun 10, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Not trying sound patronizing, but Spider-Man TAS didn't end on a cliffhanger. Heck, it didn't even end with any major unfinished plot-threads. Kingpin is behind bars, Spider-Man fullfilled his grand destiny that Madame Web kept talking about and he is even going to be reunited with Mary Jane. Would it be more satisfying (and frankly, better writing), if we actually saw said reunion on-screen? Certainly, but overall Spider-Man TAS has one of the most definitive endings of any Marvel cartoons. One more season or tie-in movie would just be "clean-up" of smaller threads, but not a story that absolutely needs to be told. At least in my opinion.
Sorry I would disagree. Remember that Mary Jane was thrown into the same dimension as the original Green Goblin, Norman Osborn, in the series. And the kept having Norman appear to Harry in a way that made everyone else think he was delusional.
But with Mary Jane, they kept toying with us. In a way they have her character a “Quantum Leap” Dr. Beckett arc, and then didn’t finish. They didn’t even put a title card up saying the were reunited.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
And the kept having Norman appear to Harry in a way that made everyone else think he was delusional.
But remember, the last time we see the Green Goblin (not counting the alternative universe version), Harry breaks free from his connection, leaving him to the weird dimensional limbo where he is incapable of physically doing anything. He is no longer a threat.

But with Mary Jane, they kept toying with us. In a way they have her character a “Quantum Leap” Dr. Beckett arc, and then didn’t finish. They didn’t even put a title card up saying the were reunited.
Like I said, the ending isn't perfect (far from it), but it's still clearly meant to be the ending. Spider-Man makes a big speech about how he is finally happy with his life, Stan Lee himself says that he has grown beyond the character he wrote in the comics, Madame Web flat out says that they will meet the real MJ and victorious music plays in the backround. At best, it could use three or five extra minutes for an epilogue to actually have Peter and MJ reunite on-screen, but otherwise it is pretty conclusive ending all things considered. Better than all the other 90's Marvel cartoons, besides arguably Iron Man, got.

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
South of Europe
Sorry I would disagree. Remember that Mary Jane was thrown into the same dimension as the original Green Goblin, Norman Osborn, in the series. And the kept having Norman appear to Harry in a way that made everyone else think he was delusional.
But remember, the last time we see the Green Goblin (not counting the alternative universe version), Harry breaks free from his connection, leaving him to the weird dimensional limbo where he is incapable of physically doing anything. He is no longer a threat.
There are several things you are forgetting around here:
+ Definitely, rescuing Mary Jane was the top priority. But I can't stop thinking about the fact about she being legally married to Peter, when Peter actually married her clone. Now THAT would be a headache for sure once they return home.
+ In the main reality of the series, we were left the cliffhanger of Miles Warren possibly cloning Spider-Man. They used Scarlet Spider/Ben Reilly for another dimension, so this other clone could actually be Kaine in her deformed and murderer first incarnation.
+ Norman Osborn no longer a threat? In your dreams, pal. We thought the same about Carnage when he was trapped in another dimension alongside Dormammu, and yet, he returned. (At least its symbiote). If someone opens a portal to it in another dimension, he could easily escape.
+ Speaking of "trapped in another dimension", I highly doubt we saw the last of Eddie Brock and Venom. Good villains are really difficult to eliminate.
+ The Secret Wars of the series could give us the first clue to, somehow, the creation of the Avengers in this series' main reality.
+ Maybe Kingpin was caught at the end of the "Six Forgotten Warriors" arc, but don't bet he's out. In the comics, he has so many resources and money, that he can literally buy his freedom. (And sadly, that represents many cases in real life).

Reactions: Fone Bone

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
I mean sure, you can always forcefully continue the story beyond the ending even when said ending is 100% satisfying. For example, Star Trek: The Next Generation has one of the most universally beloved and critically acclaimed series finales of all-time, but that didn't stop them from making four follow-up movies and soon Picard will follow-up on those. But looking at the ending we have, besides not seeing Peter/MJ reunion, TAS had pretty natural ending point. Main character's arc was done and the biggest storyline concluded. No need to stretch it any futher by contraving defeated villains back or the like. Even the greatest tv-shows with the greatest endings don't give every single little detail closure.

There are several things you are forgetting around here:
+ Definitely, rescuing Mary Jane was the top priority. But I can't stop thinking about the fact about she being legally married to Peter, when Peter actually married her clone. Now THAT would be a headache for sure once they return home.
Eh, would that really be interesting enough for an entire movie or the like? A single line of dialogue would solve that one way or another.

"I want a divorce" or "I want to stay with you"

Which one MJ would say? You decide!

+ In the main reality of the series, we were left the cliffhanger of Miles Warren possibly cloning Spider-Man.
First of all, that's a (potentially) loose plot-thread, not a cliffhanger. Secondly, I honestly think they were simply foreshadowing what happened in the other universe rather than building up to a Clone Saga of their own.

+ Norman Osborn no longer a threat? In your dreams, pal. We thought the same about Carnage when he was trapped in another dimension alongside Dormammu, and yet, he returned. (At least its symbiote). If someone opens a portal to it in another dimension, he could easily escape.
+ Speaking of "trapped in another dimension", I highly doubt we saw the last of Eddie Brock and Venom. Good villains are really difficult to eliminate.
+ Maybe Kingpin was caught at the end of the "Six Forgotten Warriors" arc, but don't bet he's out. In the comics, he has so many resources and money, that he can literally buy his freedom. (And sadly, that represents many cases in real life).
Sure, you can always find away to bring a villain back (especially in a sci-fi/fantasy setting), but that doesn't mean you should or have to. After trying to take him down the entire series, Spidey finally defeated Kingpin, Norman can't torment his son anymore and Eddie Brock did one selfless act in his entire life. Those characters had their conclusions, you don't need more.

+ The Secret Wars of the series could give us the first clue to, somehow, the creation of the Avengers in this series' main reality.
And why is that something we have to see happen in a Spider-Man series?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
For what it's worth, Spidey mentioned the Avengers from the 1st episode (alongside the Fantastic Four and the Defenders). So the team already existed in this continuity, though it must have been without Captain America as one of its members.

Reactions: Freddy

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
For what it's worth, Spidey mentioned the Avengers from the 1st episode (alongside the Fantastic Four and the Defenders). So the team already existed in this continuity, though it must have been without Captain America as one of its members.
Maybe they were lucky enough to get USAgent. I'm only remembering this now after you posted it due to the joke about Hulk being okay with being in the sewer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Trevor

Jun 10, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I mean sure, you can always forcefully continue the story beyond the ending even when said ending is 100% satisfying. For example, Star Trek: The Next Generation has one of the most universally beloved and critically acclaimed series finales of all-time, but that didn't stop them from making four follow-up movies and soon Picard will follow-up on those. But looking at the ending we have, besides not seeing Peter/MJ reunion, TAS had pretty natural ending point. Main character's arc was done and the biggest storyline concluded. No need to stretch it any futher by contraving defeated villains back or the like. Even the greatest tv-shows with the greatest endings don't give every single little detail closure.

Eh, would that really be interesting enough for an entire movie or the like? A single line of dialogue would solve that one way or another.

"I want a divorce" or "I want to stay with you"

Which one MJ would say? You decide!

First of all, that's a (potentially) loose plot-thread, not a cliffhanger. Secondly, I honestly think they were simply foreshadowing what happened in the other universe rather than building up to a Clone Saga of their own.

Sure, you can always find away to bring a villain back (especially in a sci-fi/fantasy setting), but that doesn't mean you should or have to. After trying to take him down the entire series, Spidey finally defeated Kingpin, Norman can't torment his son anymore and Eddie Brock did one selfless act in his entire life. Those characters had their conclusions, you don't need more.

And why is that something we have to see happen in a Spider-Man series?
I would have to say that, over the past six years I’ve been reading quite a few of the Byron Preiss Marvel novels that were out from 1994 to the early-/mid-2000’s (I think 2004 might’ve been the last novel) and I’ve found that the novels act as a pretty good Season 7 and onward to the 1994 “Spider-Man” series (there still needs to be a movie story that clears up how Mary Jane and Norman Osborn/Green Goblin gets back). So I don’t think there would be any issues moving on from “The Secret Wars”.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

What in the actual heck is going on with Marvel's animation division?!
I couldn't care less about another shared universe...but c'mon and get one of these myriad of projects going already.

TV kids history has added movies and specials for cartoon network, nickelodeon. Maybe they will later add Disney soon.

There also included every tv series aired on nick so far
Last Mr.Enter post but how can anyone read this and not consider author to be whiny Internet Toxicity by MrEnter on DeviantArt
January 24, 1987 marked Bill Farmer being the official voice of Goofy. Now he celebrates doing the voice for 33 years. Happy anniversary my good friend.

Yeah, seasons 3-4 made quite a few mistakes.