"Steamboat Willie" (1928) vs. "A Wild Hare" (1940)

Which character had the better debut short?

• "Steamboat Willie" (1928)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • "A Wild Hare" (1940)

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

TheDaveMaybe

Film buff, film critic, and aspiring filmmaker
The age-old question, which was the better debut cartoon short: Mickey Mouse's "Steamboat Willie" from 1928, or Bugs Bunny's "A Wild Hare" from 12 years later? Me personally, Bugs is the better character, but "Steamboat Willie" is a masterpiece, so I have to give it to "Steamboat".
63649262-c6df-11e6-9f42-74a834fa364f.jpg
a-wild-hare-bugs-bunny.jpg

Cartman

Flute Player
It's like comparing apples to oranges. Both are great cartoons. They were made a little more than a decade apart. They were also made by two different studios. Disney focused more on personality and emotion in his cartoons whereas Warners was more on comedy. I would say for those reasons, both are great in their own ways.

Copaci

A Cartoon and Logos Fan
I like A Wild Hare more than Steamboat Willie because it has loads of comedy and hunting action and I even liked that scene where Elmer was crying when he thought he killed Bugs. That makes a very great Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoon. Regarding Steamboat Willie, I'm not into it that much, but I like that scene where Mickey Mouse whistles in the boat (it also appears on the current Walt Disney Animation Studios logo).

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts