"Steamboat Willie" (1928) vs. "A Wild Hare" (1940)

Latest News

Which character had the better debut short?

• "Steamboat Willie" (1928)

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • "A Wild Hare" (1940)

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

TheDaveMaybe

Film buff, film critic, and aspiring filmmaker
May 5, 2016
Ratings
Oregon, United States
The age-old question, which was the better debut cartoon short: Mickey Mouse's "Steamboat Willie" from 1928, or Bugs Bunny's "A Wild Hare" from 12 years later? Me personally, Bugs is the better character, but "Steamboat Willie" is a masterpiece, so I have to give it to "Steamboat".

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Both are great cartoons. They were made a little more than a decade apart. They were also made by two different studios. Disney focused more on personality and emotion in his cartoons whereas Warners was more on comedy. I would say for those reasons, both are great in their own ways.

Copaci

A Cartoon and Logos Fan
Mar 19, 2017
Ratings
308 9
Romania
I like A Wild Hare more than Steamboat Willie because it has loads of comedy and hunting action and I even liked that scene where Elmer was crying when he thought he killed Bugs. That makes a very great Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoon. Regarding Steamboat Willie, I'm not into it that much, but I like that scene where Mickey Mouse whistles in the boat (it also appears on the current Walt Disney Animation Studios logo).

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

All right! Profile posts are back! Now what was I talking about?
Alright, @RandomMe. I'll bite. What's DC PT?
It's a shame that while you Americans keep age-old televised Halloween traditions, here in Portugal they have since been abnegated (I'm talking to you, DC PT).
Great Pumpkin is on tonight! (The edited version)
My Hero Academia: The Two Heroes is finally in my region's cinemas!