Static Shock "Future Shock" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Post your score for "Future Shock"

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • **** 1/2

Votes: 6 9.8%

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • *** 1/2

Votes: 13 21.3%

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • ** 1/2

Votes: 1 1.6%

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • * 1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1/2

• Yawn-fest, 0 Stars

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
Static Shock is back...with a new friend...

Episode #40 - Future Shock
Original Airdate - January 17th, 2004
Static charges into the future to team up with Batman to save his adult Static-self.

Comments?

Aquagirl

Aquargirl and Warhawk fanboy
I loved this episode it was great can't wait to see some screencaps Future StAtic has a son in the future I wish they could've showed him Future Static kinda looked like Bishop :)

Thanos

The Mad Titan
I highly enjoyed this episode. It was cool seeing how some of the characters looked in the future. Terry and Static's interaction was fun and interesting to watch.

JusticeLeagueLegion

Samantha is a hottie!!
Aquagirl said:
WHAT a greta epsiode I liked Future static he looks like Bishop from X-men
and great to see the real future of Batman!!! eheheh
I thought he kind of looked like Dwayne McDuffie. This episode was very, very, good.

staticblue

future shock....

as a static fan, I think that all ways of placing static in these exciting adventures have come off well so far. Future Shock also came off well.
when this episode was being advertised and such, I was so worried at how they were gonna get him to the future. Time zone was gone, and Warp, as far as we know, is not in continuity. The only way I could think of was maybe Clock king.
As a static fan, I gotta admit that the Villian TimeCode sucked. I think They could have done better there. another thing that confused the hell out of me.
Im no time genius, but how could static be saving his future self. technically, if static got junted to the future, then he shouldnt exist as grown up static then, cause he never lived his life normally to get to the future. Its just like on teen titans. Starfire was not in that future she went to. there was not 2 starfires, so how was there 2 statics, unless that further cements the fact that batman beyonds future is a possibility. But the Teen titans future wasnt definite cause starfire changed that, so how, how,,......:eek:

agghhhhh ive confused myself:confused:

but anyway, great episode, except for timecode. I liked how virgil had to deal with being in the future. and i also liked how they showed that gear got fat. that was funny, not as hilarious as beastboy loosing his hair, but funny

BeyondGotham

Batmanytb.com
I did not like them getting Batman on video for the news. I mean, come on! Batman and his young friends! And these are the people that are behind the new "THE BATMAN" Series??

Other than that, the ep was pretty good 3 1/2 stars. I could see where it could be better.

Static must really stay in shape. In the future he has to be about 50 something and looks 30.

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
staticblue said:
Im no time genius, but how could static be saving his future self. technically, if static got junted to the future, then he shouldnt exist as grown up static then, cause he never lived his life normally to get to the future. Its just like on teen titans. Starfire was not in that future she went to. there was not 2 starfires, so how was there 2 statics, unless that further cements the fact that batman beyonds future is a possibility. But the Teen titans future wasnt definite cause starfire changed that, so how, how,,......:eek:

Static existed in the future as well because he always made it back to the past. This is because Static didn't have to find a way back himself, Gear took care of that and brought him back to the present day. Thus, Static existing in the future was contingent on young Static getting back to the present, because he always did get back to the present by way of Gear.

Starfire on the other hand, had to find her own way back to the present.

JusticeLeagueLegion

Samantha is a hottie!!
staticblue said:
future shock....

as a static fan, I think that all ways of placing static in these exciting adventures have come off well so far. Future Shock also came off well.
when this episode was being advertised and such, I was so worried at how they were gonna get him to the future. Time zone was gone, and Warp, as far as we know, is not in continuity. The only way I could think of was maybe Clock king.
As a static fan, I gotta admit that the Villian TimeCode sucked. I think They could have done better there. another thing that confused the hell out of me.

agghhhhh ive confused myself:confused:

but anyway, great episode, except for timecode. I liked how virgil had to deal with being in the future. and i also liked how they showed that gear got fat. that was funny, not as hilarious as beastboy loosing his hair, but funny
I guess it depends on what method of time travel is used. On "Back To The Future Part II," the future version of Marty McFly was there in the year 2015. But in the "Justice League" episode "Hereafter," Superman is transported to the future and there is no future counterpart of him. I think it probably has to do with some kind of "time traveling methods." If you've ever read the "Time Masters" comic book mini-series from DC you'd see that there are different methods of time travel, and this could be a different one. That "How Long Is Forever?" episode of "Teen Titans" also uses the time traveling method shown in the "Justice League" episode "Hereafter." Thought you'd like to know.

B

Batman

The episode wasn't spectacular by any means, but it was worth it to see the crew of "Batman Beyond" again! They did change around the designs abit, especially with the city, but it was great to see Terry McGinnis and an elderly Bruce Wayne. I was pleasently surprised to see the story start off in present day, with the Batman and Robin we know. The plot was servicable, and the villians alright. I wish they picked a better set of bad guys, as Kobra dominated the final "Batman Beyond" episodes, but those villians did work for the plot.

And Static looks mighty young for a 50ish year old guy!

staticblue

ok, Im content with the explenation of the future, but why wasnt batman in his justice leauge outfit? and if tim drake is TT robin (which i highly doubt) why wasnt he in his TT outfit?

Aberration

Templar Rodimus
I thought it was a decent episode, probably more because I miss Batman Beyond than anything else. I was also annoyed with the TV crews showing Batman on camera, since he'd never let that actually happen. Also felt that they spent a little too much time shoehorning as many aspects of BB into the show as possible, but I guess they needed to reintroduce the world to everyone, since the show ended so long ago.

I liked the slight nod to ROTJ, that was a nice bit of continuity. And the best line had to be, "He says his name's Beyonce..." :D

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
JusticeLeagueLegion said:
I guess it depends on what method of time travel is used. On "Back To The Future Part II," the future version of Marty McFly was there in the year 2015. But in the "Justice League" episode "Hereafter," Superman is transported to the future and there is no future counterpart of him. I think it probably has to do with some kind of "time traveling methods." If you've ever read the "Time Masters" comic book mini-series from DC you'd see that there are different methods of time travel, and this could be a different one. That "How Long Is Forever?" episode of "Teen Titans" also uses the time traveling method shown in the "Justice League" episode "Hereafter." Thought you'd like to know.
Considering the future in Hereafter is thousands of years instead of 40, I'm not surprised Superman wasn't in the future.

And now for my line-by-line review, which is late due to the topic being closed earlier...

I like the interplay between Batman, Static, and the "Boy Wonder."

So...I take it Static isn't going to see the Teen Titans anytime soon. Or am I wrong? How does this tie into "Hard as Nails"?

Aww, no change to the theme song, visuals or otherwise.

It's so good to see Terry again.

Did they REALLY need the Beyonce reference?

I kinda like the banter between Terry and Static.

I like the difference in philosophy between Static and Bruce.

I could tell it was Static who was kidnapped as soon as Bruce was adamant about resucing him.

Why is Terry's voice the exact same without the mask? I thought the Mask changed his voice...

So...Wonder Woman IS in the future...yet not in the JLU.

Since when to Jokerz use acid pies? I guess they got more serious since the end of BB.

That buzzer trick was funny in the first Batman/Static crossover, and it's still funny
today.

So wait, where's Commishioner Gordon?

Hehe, I like how Static's using his powers.

Wow. Static got rich over the years.

You think Cobra would have learned flying fortresses are not very good bases.

I do like that Cobra is actually putting up a fight against young Static.

Eh, I don't really like adult Static's costume. He looks like a battery commercial.

Who knew Static would grow up to become Samurai Jack!

Gear looks like Luigi after getting a fire flower...

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
staticblue said:
ok, Im content with the explenation of the future, but why wasnt batman in his justice leauge outfit? and if tim drake is TT robin (which i highly doubt) why wasnt he in his TT outfit?
Whenever they show Batman & Robin by themselves, they're in their TNBA outfits. It happened last season during the episode "Hard as Nails" which premiered after Justice League premiered.

Knight

Emerald Knight
Duke said:
So wait, where's Commishioner Gordon?
Are you joking or did you not see him at the begining of the ep?

I have to say I didnt much care for the future Staics look myself.

Also he and Robin should be fairly close in age yet future Static looks a lot younger than future Tim Drake seen in ROTJ.

Aquagirl

Aquargirl and Warhawk fanboy
Yeah I was wondering myself where was Commissioner Barbara Gorden!

Alph

Maybe Batman simply wears slightly different outfits depending on if he's with the bat crew or the Justice League.

The Detective

Meh. It was great to see Terry and Bruce again but other than that the episode was pretty much blah. Kobra? They decided to bring Batman Beyond back for a guest shot and Kobra is the villian they choose? Sorry but I always the whole Kobra thing was lame. Oh, and several plot holes just really had me wondering. All first off, WHY was Static in Gotham? I mean, in "Hard as Nails" at least he followed somebody but here you'd think him and and Batman were partners now. (apparently Robin was afraid of that as well) Future Static was pretty cool looking (I agree with JusticeLeagueLegion I thought he looked like Dwayne McDuffie) but he should have been much older looking. Oh and they don't want to erase Statics future by getting him killed so why didn't they just keep him in the Bat Cave under lock and key? Oh well, fun to see Beyond back but not that great. Three Starish. Maybe a little less.

Bird Boy

WF Admin
Staff member
Just finished watching it...it was...interesting. You could tell they sacrificed certain things in order to make it work, and it all just moved incredibly fast. That and I'm tired of seeing Kobra in every episode...the last BB ep we saw (Unmasked) was about Kobra...

I did enjoy seeing McGinnis again though. I don't know how much more I can say about it...it was fun to watch...but..I dunno, I won't think too deeply about it, or it'll just ruin it further.

I also apologize for the talkback not being open right after airing. I wasn't at a computer after it aired to open it. I'd get rid of locking the threads all together if people would just listen to the "Please do not post" warnings--but in the past, whnN I put those up, they're ignored.

-BB

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts