"Star Wars: The Mandalorian (Disney+)" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• Total voters

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
I have to wonder these days if the show would have anything going for it if not for Baby Yoda and all the references to the Star Wars movies with jokes, set pieces, imagery, etc. Still, I find myself wanting to watch more even though I find it mostly average. Being Star Wars fan FUBU seems like a perfectly acceptable reason for this show to exist.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
TheMandalorianLogo.jpeg

Chapter 7 – December 18, 2019
An old rival extends an invitation for The Mandalorian to make peace.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
That was unexpected how advanced the child was with the Force - he did the choke on Cara then healed and removed the poison from Greef's arm. Plus, Kuiil confirmed he wasn't a clone either.

Interesting to see Kuiil and Cara butt heads because of their past affiliations with the Empire and Rebels. Bleak ending, RIP Kuiil. Did like that Greef came around even though he was planning to back stab Mando. The child is a charmer, lol.

Moff Gideon ain't fooling around. Killed his own subordinate and now we're in a western showdown, an Alamo for Mando, Cara, and Greed. Death troopers like in Rogue One, regular troopers, an incinerator one, scout troopers, a TIE fighter. Not just four, Greef!

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Poor Kuiil That ending was rough. I half expected an ambiguous cliffhanger before we find out that IG-11 save today at the beginning of the next episode.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Mandolorian "Chapter 7: The Reckoning"

Gamechanger. Big stuff happening.

Never knew what to make of Greef, but I trust him for now. He was REALLY shook by the Child healing him, and I don't think that's something he could fake. The good guys are still in a bad place though. Yikes.

Poor Kuiil. What an awful ending for a lovable character.

The Child tries to kill Cara when he thinks she's hurting Mando. That says the Child is dangerous.

In the past week I have seen a ton of internet memes pop up about Baby Yoda, and it annoys me. Baby Yoda is a nice thing, and people are making it less nice by turning him into a fad and a craze. If there was ever an argument against forming a "civilized" society, Baby Yoda memes are a pretty good point against that notion. People just make everything worse. Especially nice things.

I'm with Mando in not trusting the robot, but Kuiil said an interesting thing, which is needed in Star Wars, especially since Droids appear to have no agency for themselves, and are basically slaves. But Kuiil said Droids are not good or evil, and are tools that are imprinted with their creator's intentions. And that explained things to me a LOT. How old is this franchise? It's weird this specific episode is the first thing that EVER gave me a solid idea of how that concept worked. It's amazing actually.

Yeah, this show is a keeper. Just shut up about Baby Yoda. *****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
TheMandalorianLogo.jpeg

Chapter 8 "Redemption" – December 27, 2019 - Season Finale
The Mandalorian comes face-to-face with an unexpected enemy.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I was fully satisfied with this. I wasn't expecting a name drop or a face reveal but it is the finale. Even with the brutal action, the show manages to hit me emotionally. A lot of characters gave their lives for the cause this season but they won't be forgotten.

I never expected to see a darksaber in live-action.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jason Sudeikis and Adam Pally doing a cameo as the two troopers at the start was pretty hilarious. You just knew how they were dragging the scene that something awful was bound to happen to them. lmao.

Damn, that pyro trooper was intense. Only to be pwned by the Child. So COOL. Loved the big battle.

Like the other episode, so freakin' awesome to see a bunch of Mandolorians in live action. Makes sense Mando was saved by them after his parents hid him. I'll have to go back and see if they have an insignia -- maybe they sneaked in a callback that the more hardcore fans would recognize.

I was relieved to see the smithy made it through the season finale alive and totally wrecked that crew of Stormtroopers.

The IG did good. I still have to look up that thing he sprayed Mando with. Hope it's pre-existing and not some deus ex machina. I was figuring the Child would heal him but after he repelled the fire, he was already tired.

So Mando has a nemesis. As the TIE crashed, the way it was depicted, I was thinking yeah, he survived that. :D But very intriguing it seems Mandalore sided with the Rebels and the Empire nearly wiped them out in retaliation and killed their future (trainees and children) in what he called the Night of a Thousand Tears. But I wonder if this Purge he mentioned was the same event or something else where they just targeting the Rebel loyalists and during so Moff Gideon acquired the saber . Could be a shocker if it's revealed Gideon has a Mandolorian or two in his employ. Money that Mando gets it by the end of season two. lol.

After doing some googling, the darksaber must have been a real treat for the fans who watched Rebels.

So it appears season 2 Mando is going to try and find where Yoda's species live. Or will he run into ex-Jedi? Ooo. Needle in a galactic haystack. And Gideon in hot pursuit no doubt.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
After doing some googling, the darksaber must have been a real treat for the fans who watched Rebels.

I haven't reached the part of Rebels where it shows up yet but The Clone Wars series made me a fan of the darksaber.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I haven't reached the part of Rebels where it shows up yet but The Clone Wars series made me a fan of the darksaber.
Well, you're further along than me. Never saw any of the animated series yet.

EDIT: Looking back on the unanswered questions - there's the Child, the Darksaber ending up in Gideon's hands... and also who found Fennic's body.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Mandalorian "Chapter 8: Redemption"

That teaser was masterful. Considering the tragic place we left things off in the last episode, getting a highly comedic scene of nervous Stormtroopers discussing office politics and how crazy their genocidal boss is was most unexpected and pleasurable. Who DOESN'T want to see Baby Yoda? And I love IG Nurse swooping in with the big save. That was the perfect way to begin the episode. It was hilarious.

Speaking of IG Nurse, I think in hindsight, Quiil was the unsung hero of the season if only for successfully reprogramming IG Hunter to be a nurse who sacrifices himself to save them all. An INSIGHTFUL nurse who can tell when Mando is sad, and remind him he's not a living thing when he has to remove his helmet.

Was that Boba Fett who saved Mando in the flashback? A case could be made either way.

Speaking of Mando, the name and the face weren't actually secrets or spoilers. They just never came up before this episode. And they are ultimately no big deal to reveal.

Love the Jetpack. Gideon's black Lightsaber is boss too.

Mando will take care of The Child. And vice versa.

This is the first live-action Star Wars TV show, but it lands in a way none of the cartoons do. I often feel like The Clone Wars, Rebels, and Resistance are half-fanfiction, and barely official no matter what Disney says. But this feels like a legit Star Wars project. A good one. What a dynamite end to a promising season. *****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Was that Boba Fett who saved Mando in the flashback? A case could be made either way.
No, I believe it was confirmed that was the Death Watch group from the cartoons who saved him. You have to freeze frame a scene but you can see the Death Watch signet on their armor.

Classic Speedy

Yup.
Staff member
Reporter
Just finished the first eight a couple days ago. It definitely left me wanting more. Random thoughts:

-Bill Burr! I mostly know him from stand-up and his appearances on Conan but love him or hate him, he was perfect for the role he played.
-I hope the child learns how to speak by the time the next episodes debut. We needs some Yoda speak, consarn it.
-Speaking of the child, I liked how he was done with (presumably) puppets and animatronics, not CG. The character felt a lot more organic and real.
-Giancarlo Esposito, does he EVER play a non-villain? He was also one of the masterminds in Breaking Bad. Not that I mind- he always does a fantastic job in that role.
-Loved the "small talk" between the Storm Troopers at the beginning of episode 8. It felt like a scene you'd see in a Star Wars fan film, in a good way.
-The show was probably done on a smaller budget than the movies, which is to be expected, but they really disguised it well. This is a high class production.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The show was probably done on a smaller budget than the movies, which is to be expected, but they really disguised it well. This is a high class production.
Each episode reportedly had a $15 million budget vs. Rise of Skywalker which was around $275 million.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
-Giancarlo Esposito, does he EVER play a non-villain? He was also one of the masterminds in Breaking Bad. Not that I mind- he always does a fantastic job in that role.
He was a cop on Homicide: Life On The Street in its final season and he was also the lead of the short-lived and underrated sitcom Bakersfield PD.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
He'll always be "Buggin Out".

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Fresh, Do The Right Thing and School Daze are always the first movies coming to mind for me. My initial exposure at a really young age. It's cool how much Breaking Bad has made his name recognizable.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
He'll always be "Buggin Out".

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
I was going to bring that up but I forgot the character's name and I didn't want to look foolish. What is wrong with me?
Each episode reportedly had a $15 million budget vs. Rise of Skywalker which was around $275 million.
The look and feel of the show is very similar to the original trilogy which could probably be made for that kind of money nowadays. It's mostly the prequels and Bad Robot stuff that made Star Wars super expensive to make.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

harry580 wrote on RegularCapital's profile.
hey um I have another idea, the haim saban attempt to have news corporation (the owners of fox and fox family worldwide at the time) to buy his stake in fox family worldwide back in 2000/2001
New on the RegularCapital Audiovisual Research Wiki: Nickelodeon's Failed First Attempt In Germany (1995-1998): Nickelodeon's Failed First Attempt In Germany (1995-1998) tl;dr: Nick Germany gets screwed over by public broadcasting.
Vuxovich wrote on Mostezli's profile.
I am not kidding, Mostezli. The brand-new Evangelion movie will be released tomorrow indeed.
Today I was sitting on Budapest bus line 138, and what did I see? This!

However, this has nothing to do with Dexter's Laboratory or the live-action series. It is called like that because there is a Hungarian company in District 22 called Dexter.
The brand-new Evangelion movie can't be delayed anymore. It will be released tomorrow. Rejoice!

Featured Posts