Star Wars: The Clone Wars are over; DeTours delay

ShadowGUN

YES!YES!YES!

CyclonatorZ

Besides the obvious fact that Disney did not have and likely does not want anything to do with an out-of-house production, I'm betting part of the reason for The Clone Wars' cancelation is that Disney wants to shift the franchise's focus onto the new post-empire continuty they are developing. That new animated series Lucasfilm said they are developing will probably be set in that time period as well, and will most likely be released soon after Star Wars Episode VII finishes its theatrical run.

BigEclipse

My guess is that the unused material that was to be season 6 will be edited and repackaged as made for TV movies to air on Disney XD and eventually on DVD/blu-ray.

Darkdawn

I Am Here
I actually doubt the next animated series will be set in the VII-IX era, since the official site said it would be a time period not featured in any of the films (which presumably includes the upcoming trilogy). I'm expecting it to take place in the Old Republic era or the 20 year gap between the first two trilogies.

The remaining story arcs (which I'm sure were meant to be Season 6 until Disney happened) will most likely be released on DVD/Blu-Ray, which is good.

As for Detours... I won't shed a tear if it never airs. A Star Wars comedy series could be a good idea, but that just looked terrible.

Sunnydee

I don't really understand ending The Clone Wars series. I understand that Cartoon Network is a rival to Disney and it's channels, but what are the down sides of taking one of your competitors best (higher rated) shows and airing it on a channel directed at the same audience. A channel that needs to get in more homes (Disney XD). This seems kinda petty and personal rather than business. I mean, I expected nothing less, but its still kinda dumb.

I wonder what'll happen to the episodes of The Clone Wars in syndication. Will Disney just end that deal?

Astrolupine

Man on the wing.
My guess is that the unused material that was to be season 6 will be edited and repackaged as made for TV movies to air on Disney XD and eventually on DVD/blu-ray.

I'd be fine with that. It'd come off as closing full circle as TCW started out with a 'movie' of sorts. It'd be nice to finish off the bounty hunters' stories and give Ashoka a send-off larger in scope.

ABrown

After watching the season five finale, and not having seen anything definitive that the series would continue on Disney XD, I had a feeling this was coming. With this news, the news that Transformers: Prime will not be continuing past the coming third season, and Young Justice coming to an end after its current season, Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be the only action cartoon left for me to watch. :-(

Light Lucario

Staff member
Is it thanks to the Disney buyout of Star Wars?

Most likely. They probably want to start off their own Star Wars series instead of continuing on an already established one.

While I haven't seen much of the show, this doesn't quite surprise me since news about a season six wasn't making big headlines and I figured that Disney would want to focus on making their own series. At least they can use what has already been developed as season six for closure for the fans of the series.

firefoxprime

90s = Golden Years
After watching the season five finale, and not having seen anything definitive that the series would continue on Disney XD, I had a feeling this was coming. With this news, the news that Transformers: Prime will not be continuing past the coming third season, and Young Justice coming to an end after its current season, Nickelodeon's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will be the only action cartoon left for me to watch. :-(

Hey hey. No tears yet bro! Disney XD still has Max Steel premeiring in 2 weeks. Its less James Bond(like the 00s original) and more brawler(Ultimate Spiderman + A.T.O.M(alpha teens on machines). Purists hate it, but I've been waiting for this "computer technical" upgrade from Nerd Corps(the animators). Slugterra's animation is a step back to like....Storm Hawks or even Dragon Booster. I was a bit dissapointed, but Max Steel is the true graphical successor to Hot Wheels Battle Force 5...!

This show is gonna be awesome! Here's the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRMUqp05HPo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited by a moderator:

Dudley

Staff member
Wow. Once again we lose a popular show, due to a Disney buyout. Notable example from the past was the cancelation of Spectacular Spider-Man, due to copyright disputes with Sony.
I gotta say, taking one of Cartoon Network's most popular show and then canceling it, is a pretty mean thing to do.
Ah well, I guess the new series will likely serve as a prequel to Episode 7. Personally I don't mind that at all. I mean, one of the problems I had with Clone Wars is that everything going on seems irrelevant. Anakin will eventually join the Dark Side, and we'll never see Ashoka again. Truth be told, they should get a series out that can stand on its own featuring an outcome that won't be spoiled by a movie.

ToonJay723

Staff member
I saw this coming a mile away. George Lucas stated in 2008, that there would be only five seasons of this show.

Dragnatek

Wow. Once again we lose a popular show, due to a Disney buyout. Notable example from the past was the cancelation of Spectacular Spider-Man, due to copyright disputes with Sony.
I gotta say, taking one of Cartoon Network's most popular show and then canceling it, is a pretty mean thing to do.
Ah well, I guess the new series will likely serve as a prequel to Episode 7. Personally I don't mind that at all. I mean, one of the problems I had with Clone Wars is that everything going on seems irrelevant. Anakin will eventually join the Dark Side, and we'll never see Ashoka again. Truth be told, they should get a series out that can stand on its own featuring an outcome that won't be spoiled by a movie.

Spectacular Spider-man was doomed the second it aired on Kids WB three months before the channel died.

Also there is a huge difference seeing Clone Wars has made it past a hundred episodes a rare feat for an action cartoon even with the money that made it happen. I can't really call it a show that died before it's time was up. Also Disney is not doing it to be mean. They want a show that they made and control completely. It's being a control freak more then being mean.

Yeah I agree that Clone Wars is pretty much irrelevant, my biggest problem were the clone soldier based episodes. I can't care for them because I realize that any personality they have or develop is pointless once certain programming is set off. So I can't care about a clone.

MarryLarry

The new series could also be an animated adaptation of the cost-prohibiting live-action series Underworld. They already have a few seasons' worth of scripts written.

ShadowGUN

YES!YES!YES!
IGN has footage of one the finish Season 6 episodes.
[video=youtube;XghR4HMAYl0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XghR4HMAYl0[/video]

It has a clone going Order 66 on a Jedi. I hope Disney doesn't made us wait long for these episodes.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
IGN has footage of one the finish Season 6 episodes.
[video=youtube;XghR4HMAYl0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XghR4HMAYl0[/video]

Here's a longer version of that video with an introduction from the supervising director.

The article also states the following:

While the studio is no longer producing new episodes for Cartoon Network, we're continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs that promise to be some of the most thrilling adventures ever seen.

So... It's not cancelled?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts