"Star Wars: The Bad Batch" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Discuss this Star Wars animated series!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
In this successor series to Star Wars: The Clone Wars, can a batch of clones survive in a rapidly changing galaxy?

Star Wars: The Bad Batch

Star Wars: The Bad Batch
follows the elite and experimental clones of the Bad Batch (first introduced in “The Clone Wars”) as they find their way in a rapidly changing galaxy in the immediate aftermath of the Clone War. Members of Bad Batch—a unique squad of clones who vary genetically from their brothers in the Clone Army—each possess a singular exceptional skill that makes them extraordinarily effective soldiers and a formidable crew.

Star Wars: The Bad Batch is executive produced by Dave Filoni (The Mandalorian, Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Athena Portillo (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels), Brad Rau (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars Resistance) and Jennifer Corbett (Star Wars Resistance, NCIS) with Carrie Beck (The Mandalorian, Star Wars Rebels) as co-executive producer and Josh Rimes as producer (Star Wars Resistance). Rau is also serving as supervising director with Corbett as head writer.

Episode #1 "Aftermath"
Debuts May 4th, 2021 on Disney+
The clones of The Bad Batch find themselves in a changing galaxy after The Clone Wars

Discuss this Star Wars animated series here!

Related Discussion:

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - The Final Season Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: The Bad Batch News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil and respectful to both the thread topic and those participating here. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings as necessary. And remember to keep the discussion on-topic! Additionally, any mention or implication of viewing an episode through illegal means will not be tolerated - the post will be deleted and/or an infraction will be issued.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Aftermath"

That was pretty great. What's neat is that it's exploring a portion of the Star Wars saga we don't know much about (the early days of the Empire). It's really filling in some major blanks.

The other Clones being the bad guys on the show is going to be tough to get used to. Hopefully we can get some good updates and allies with both Rex and Cody.

Interesting origin story for Kanon on Rebels although they probably should have had somebody younger than Freddie Prinze Jr. voice Caleb.

Ian McDiarmid actually voiced Sidius here.

This show is not going to be the disappointment Rebels was, or the hot mess Resistance was. Disney is actually putting in the correct level of effort here. I really like what we've seen so far. ****1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Cut And Run"

That was nice. People will call it sappy, but I like sappy.

Dirt is awesome. I'll fight anybody who says it isn't.

Good to see Cut again. Wondering what had happened to him.

The Narrator is entirely absent! Looks like last week was a one-off and the show getting The Clone Wars out of its system.

Fun to see an evil R2 Unit. Even funner to see it brutally damaged by Wrecker. That's what Threepio always wanted to do.

I'm liking what I've seen of this show so far. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Replacements"

I like that Wrecker is having to get used to being a responsible adult with a little kid around.

Speaking of which, Omega did dynamite on that mission.

I very much was appalled and impressed by the horrific implications of Crosshairs "finishing the mission." This show is the true spiritual successor to Clone Wars. Death and destruction is not Nerfed on the show the way it was on Rebels, and ESPECIALLY Resistance. This show is playing for keeps.

I don't much like Crosshairs or what he did, but I think the trooper he fragged had it coming. The fool actually believed the Empire was some sort of democracy. He would have gotten himself killed by a higher up sooner rather than later. Crosshairs was just the guy in the room. It's horrifying to think about it that way, but it's true. Dark times. Dark times.

Solid episode though. ****.

well I say we seen the idea where stormtroopers being "conditioned" came from as we saw in rebels, the original trilogy, and the new trilogy who while they were idiots with bad aim they still did whatever they were told no matter how inhumane till finn came along as while that solider was a total ass and an idiot he at least had somewhat of moral decency not to slaughter innocent civilians although i guess that how the empire conspircted soldiers in the beginning a promise of a better life

very worried about wrecker and his "headache" crosshairs even in the clone wars bad batch four parter that introduce us to them had a bit of a dark streak to him but the idea of the fun boisterous wrecker going full "good soliders follow orders" is too painful to teach about.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Cornered"

Apparently Fennec used to be on the wrong side of child abductions before Grogu.

Wrecker sucks at cottoning on to bribes. Not gonna make a great civilian.

I like that the biggest objection to the Droid slavery plan Echo has is that the price for him is too low!

I like the cute Droid that waddles like a toddler.

Omega is naive but she HAS led a sheltered life.

Good week. ****.

Classic Speedy

Yup.
Staff member
Reporter
Question: Do you need to see The Clone Wars to know what's going on? I haven't followed much of the Star Wars spin-offs outside of the 9 films, aside from The Mandalorian.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Question: Do you need to see The Clone Wars to know what's going on? I haven't followed much of the Star Wars spin-offs outside of the 9 films, aside from The Mandalorian.
Oh my, yes. Not designed for newbs at all. It's for the sort of hardcore Star Wars nerds who sat through seven seasons of The Clone Wars (a large of chunk of which were lousy).

Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Rampage"

I didn't recognize Rhea Perlman's voice. But I don't trust Cid.

Finding out the adolescence Rancor is almost certainly the one Luke killed in Jedi made the proceedings seem much less fun in hindsight.

The Bad Batch indignantly says the Republic outlawed slavery. Welcome to the Empire, fellas.

Solid. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Decommissioned"

Lots of exciting action, but the plot underwhelmed.

Ahsoka or Obi-Wan at the end? My guess: Ahsoka. She seems much more activated against the Empire at this stage of the game.

I liked the "Who's On First?" bit with Echo.

Also laugh at Cid calling Tech "Goggles".

The visual effects were great, but the story was nothing to write home about. ***1/2.

the batch really need to find rex and get those chips out of their heads and soon because the implication of wrecker or any of them being one head injury away from going bad is terrifying to consider.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Battle Scars"

These eased two major worries I had: What happened to Rex, and how they were going to get rid of the control chips. Star Wars Rebels said Rex would eventually be fine but I was still glad to see him here. As for the chips, Wrecker proves they got them out just in time.

I love how awful Wrecker feels and how he explains that he tried to fight it but couldn't help it. Even better, Omega forgives the big lug anyways. Aww!

Another solid week. This show keeps delivering. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Reunion"

Cad Bane! I both missed him, and considering what happened here, did not miss him at all. He's a great character and it's great to hear Corey Burton as him again.

Crosshairs has gotten incredibly creepy to me.

Good stuff. Things are getting dire. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Bounty Lost"

The episode title intrigued me. It sounded sort of like a take on O Henry's The Ransom Of Red Chief where where the kidnapper gets more than they bargained for, and realize they made a mistake abducting the kid because they cause them to suffer them so much. It didn't quite follow that specific formula (Bane doesn't have to pay the Bad Batch to take Omega off his hands or anything like that) but the idea was sort of there with some Fenneck added to keep things interesting.

Is every non-Chris Griffin character voiced by Seth Green annoying? Todo is another suggestion that the answer is "Yes." I've yet to hear a good counter-example. Howard the Duck? Never really voiced the real live-action version enough to make an impression either way. Am I missing anybody? And don't throw Leonardo in my face. That might be his most annoying character ever.

So the episode gave me a good primer and reminder why Boba Fett was so unique and valuable to the clones, and that Omega is valuable for the same reason. On the surface Hunter's promise to keep her safe is rash because in reality, he has no way of keeping it. The situation could become out of his hands at some point entirely through no fault of his own. But the truth is, if Boba Fett can stay one step ahead of the Empire, so can the Bad Batch. So there.

I'm wondering how and why Boba and the Empire made peace and how he was able to work for them in the first movies. Either that's a plothole, or an upcoming storyline. It sounds more like a plothole to me, but producers of the Star Wars cartoons LOVE turning those into actual storylines to help the first six movies make sense in hindsight. This could be a future example. A common value of the cartoons is cleaning up Lucas's various messes (and he made a LOT).

I thought it was interesting when Fenneck claimed she was trying to help Omega. The fact that she was telling the truth makes both her and the show more interesting. For the record, if Lala HADN'T turned against the Empire when she did, she'd be a terrible person. Dude's clinically talking about "terminating the subject" when he literally means killing a child. For some reason, the Saturday morning euphemism made the language sound MORE harsh, not less, which is both neat and super weird.

So yeah, good episode. Solid series. Hope Cad Bane returns to cause more trouble, and I hope the Bad Batch hand him his butt again. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Common Ground"

This was a very strong episode that I liked for a lot of reasons. And I like it when I can like an episode or movie for a lot of reasons. Even episodes I love are often down to a great ending or single memorable scene. Something strong the entire way through is not just uncommon. But something strong the entire way through that I can point out individual elements I liked is even more unusual.

One of the things I liked about it pissed me off too, which is about the most I can ever ask for things that piss me off. I rarely like them, but this is an odd case. But I found the Empire's general euphemisms to the crowd about the Empire and cooperation with them slick and convincing, and entirely the right way to convince skeptical people to go along with something they don't want to do. And what pissed me off, is that in OUR country, evil populists use divisive language to tell everyone exactly what evil things they believe and how much they hate the anyone different than them. I'm pissed off at this episode for doing fascism better than the current rightwing in America. Part of me is glad the rightwing is too stupid to talk like this, but I really loathe the fact that we are on the razor's edge with spittle-flecked crazy people having utterly convinced 47% of the public with their crazy ideas. I would much rather being losing to charismatic fascists that contained actual charisma than holding even with a group of obviously deranged idiots. Maybe I'd be worse off, but my pride wouldn't have taken as big of a hit.

I like that Tech is very reluctant to take a mission from a Separatist, but it's VERY early in the Empire's run. Tech is going to learn very quickly that the Empire has made most of those old animosities moot. If you are an Old Republic Guard OR a Separatist, and are currently against the Empire, you are both actually on the same side whether you like it or not. Hunter's talking about political opinions, but the truth is, when you resist a fascist regime, political opinions become irrelevant. Survival is now the only goal.

Also just throwing this out there: The Old Republic sucked. The fact that Palpatine was de facto in charge, and had so much power directly led to the Empire. Someone being a Separatist, or someone who thinks the Jedi and the Republic are unfathomably corrupt and rotten is not an unforgivable sin because they are right.

I liked two things about the Omega story. I liked Hunter framing her staying behind as a mission and following orders. I was especially delighted that the show busted all previous examples of a kid character doing this and had her actually follow the order. What I especially love is that if she wasn't allowed to go on the mission, she figured out a way to help the Bad Batch anyways. And her paying off their debt did more good for them than them completing that mission actually did. I love that the show allowed Omega to not be a bratty Mary/Gary-Sue/Stu sneaking off to tag along on the mission, and instead let her help out on her own terms. I am too cynical of a person to believe this is ALWAYS how Omega being benched is going to go down, but I love that it did here.

And the last thing I liked is the ending. We don't see the resolution to the game match between Omega and Hunter. And we don't need to. We can assume Omega won. What I like is that I think when Hunter offered the game, he knew she'd win, and this was his way of letting her earn himself a permanent position on the team. I like that idea very much.

This episode was great in a lot of ways. I liked it a lot. *****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Devil's Deal"

Interesting. Sort of an origin story for Hera (and Chopper). I know the upcoming Ahsoka Tano show is going to feature Ezra and Thrawn, but really until now, none of the main Star Wars stuff has ever really acknowledged Star Wars Rebels. You'll get a cameo here and there (like Kanan in this show's Pilot) but Rebels never seemed as canon as everything else. This episode fixes that.

Now if someone could actually justify the existence of Star Wars Resistance. On second thought, scratch that. I don't actually want that.

The scene with Omega showing Hera the ship starkly put into relief the show's biggest flaw (and a problem that is shared with most CGI cartoons). The facial expressions on the characters suck. Even ten years later from The Clone Wars' heyday, they still can't make the characters believably emote.

Interesting fact: Before Hera's parents were framed by the Empire for crap they didn't do, Hera WAS actually guilty of the crime she was charged with: treason. We can get into how unfair it was the show was hinting she was going to be executed without a trial, but the truth is she WAS guilty of that specific crime.

Hera must have picked up her American accent from Kanan. She doesn't have it here.

I like the fact that the Bad Batch only appeared once, and the rest of the episode was about characters many people who didn't see Rebels wouldn't be too familiar with. I think the fun of the next two weeks or so will be connecting those characters and stories together. ***1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Rescue On Ryloth"

I like that Omega is Hunter's conscience. She keeps him honest, which is good.

I like that the Sindulas do not trust Howser at first. Frankly, I still don't. As long as that chip is still in all of those rebelling clones' heads, they don't even know what they are rebelling against.

I liked Hunter refusing to claim the Sindulas' reward because they would need it more than he did.

Dee Bradley Baker has made his voice as Crosshairs deliciously twisted. "Permission to hunt them down," gave me the willies.

Good episode. But that's par for the course. This is a good show. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "Infested"

Cid really has Omega wrapped around her little finger. She still wants to help her, even after Tech insightfully points out that she just threatened them.

The Pyke have creepy designs and their cold-blooded ruthlessness would be less scary if there was anger or malice attached. No, killing and maiming their enemies is simply how they do business, and is another day at the office.

Durand says it could have been worse. I disagree. Cutting off his horn was a power move designed to humiliate him. He will have that staring back at him in the face every time he looks in the mirror from now on. As far as punishments go, it's exceedingly cruel. I'm not saying killing him would have been nicer, but if this is the idea of the Pykes using a light touch, those guys are total monsters.

Pretty good week. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: The Bad Batch "War-Mantle"

Those clone scientists screwed themselves by helping create the Empire. Do you know what I wish? After the doors closed after the admiral tells him his services are no longer required, I would have liked to have heard the blaster go off. Too much? I don't think so.

Yikes to that ending with Crosshairs! He and Gregor prove Dee Bradly Baker's amazing range as the Clones and the Bad Batch. Some of these guys it's hard to tell it's the same person voicing him.

The climax was genuinely tense, which was appropriate because the good guys actually lost.

Hunter is in a bad spot. ****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

In loving memory of VH1 Europe: fillers from the 2003-2014 logo era and a memorial video of the pre-2010 era.
Asa
Dr Mario World shuts down by November
Have things actually changed? I'm sensing a difference this week. Tell me if I'm wrong. I am getting the sense the rest of us are getting completely fed up with the antivaxxers prolonging this beyond all reason. The language I'm hearing from my side has stopped being understanding and reasonable. We're pissed.

About damn time. GET THE DAMN SHOT.
Jim Krieg said how he almost didn't write Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox since he was busy working on Green Lantern The Animated Series, but through persuasion from Alan Burnett, he took on the job.

R.I.P. Ron Popeil, inventor, businessman and founder of Ronco. "Set it, and forget it." "But wait, there's more." "Something-o-matic".

Featured Posts