"Star Wars: Resistance" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discuss the "Star Wars Resistance" animated series!

• ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

Troy Troodon

I actually think Tam's position for being supportive of the first order, what with her father actually having served it himself, actually makes some decent commentary for people who look at today's law enforcement; with Kaz representing people who are now openly more skeptical of the system while Tam represents people who still see it as a necissity, again particularly for people who's family also serve that system.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I actually think Tam's position for being supportive of the first order, what with her father actually having served it himself, actually makes some decent commentary for people who look at today's law enforcement; with Kaz representing people who are now openly more skeptical of the system while Tam represents people who still see it as a necissity, again particularly for people who's family also serve that system.
Except Tam is also defensive of the Empire which is like the Nazis in the Star Warsverse. I could take Tam being supportive of the First Order as seen on the show. But it's the fact that she Team Genocide which is why she sucks.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars Resistance "Descent"

In an even slightly more competent show, that would have been outright great. As it was, even with useless characters like Tam and Neeku, it was still decent and watchable. But I am also well aware Rebels would have absolutely rocked this exact same plot, and knocked my socks off with it. A potentially great episode for this show is clumsily enough handled that it's only pretty good.

And I just want to reaffirm how useless both Tam and Neeku are. In absolute fairness to them, they didn't sign up for this, and had no clue their lives would lead to this. But it's not like they aren't facing mortal danger every week anyways. Even slightly less stupid characters would be adapting to their new realities better and easier than they are.

I liked that. But if the show was better I know I would have been able to love it. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars Rebels "No Escape: Part One"

I have no love for that episode.

Neeku's incompetence isn't funny, just like Jar-Jar's wasn't. When you can be called "worse than Jar-Jar" your character probably sucks.

Also the show seems to be far more interested in Tam's defection to the Dark Side and the First Order than I am. After what happened at the end, I was like "If this girl remotely thinks this is acceptable, screw her. Kaz is better off with her out of the picture."

The ending landed hard and it landed wrong. It was truly a gut-punch which felt wrong for propaganda. Atrocities like that you do on the DL if you are a dictatorship. They hired this hateful crazy guy to sell what they were doing to the rest of the galaxy, and showed him committing mass murder of billions of innocent people, as if that would impress or convince anyone of their need for "order". The people who think this is all right will still be entrenched in society. But people on the fence will be disgusted and go the other way, which is the worst propaganda thing you could ever do. What especially disgusts me about Tam is that I am not sure this will change her mind.

The ending was a punch in the gut. But is was badly written simply because it made the Order look worse publicly, which is the opposite of what they were trying to do. There was a reason they never put Palpatine or Vader in front of a camera: Because they were both so personally repulsive. The first Order guy who talks like Chris Latta after getting a parking ticket shows they should have had the lady grooming Tam as their PR flak instead.

But no, I didn't like the episode much. **1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars Resistance "No Escape: Part Two"

That last shot felt like a Star Wars ending.

For the record, I was infuriated that the heroes were risking their lives and their entire mission to try and save that despicable monster Tam. As far as I'm concerned, Kaz had nothing to justify to her. If anything SHE should have to answer for siding with the people who killed his entire family. The fact that this does not occur to Kaz to ONCE throw in her face shows he is a far better friend to her than she ever was to him, and far better than this amoral witch ever deserved. I am literally fuming over that character.

Also for the record, Neeku still sucks too.

It was nice that everyone, including Sinara popped up at the end and saved the day, and things felt like a real culmination of the season. But the hot mess that is Tam left a VERY sour taste in my mouth by the end of all that. ***1/2.

Spider-Man

I finally got caught up and overall I'm pleased with the series and I liked the first season overall but there is definite room for improvement. I'd like to see better character work and maybe a more focused story but I bet the second season will be really different from this first one. I liked the first season but a lot of the episodes seemed like filler and that made some episodes a little tough to get through. The last two episodes were the show's best and like Fone said above the ending felt like Star Wars. I'm excited to see where the show will go since it will be taking place around the same time as the new sequel movies and there are alot of possibilities.

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Entering a whole new frontier. The second and final season of Star Wars: Resistance begins!

Star Wars: Resistance
Season Two Debut:
October 6, 2019 on Disney Channel, Disney app

Kaz, Tam, and the rest of the crew aboard the Colossus station are making the jump to lightspeed for an epic second, and final, season of Star Wars Resistance, premiering Sunday, October 6, (10 p.m. EDT/PDT) on Disney Channel and DisneyNOW, with subsequent airings on Disney XD.

Set amid the events of Star Wars: The Last Jedi and before Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, the story picks up after a harrowing escape from the First Order, as Kazuda Xiono and the denizens of the Colossus wind up lost in space, pursued by Agent Tierny and Commander Pyre who have taken Tam Ryvora aboard their ship. In the enticing new trailer, Supreme Leader Kylo Ren himself makes an appearance, along with General Hux, Captain Phasma, and plenty of other familiar faces alongside new characters including a never-before-seen Hutt gangster. The thrilling final season promises to spotlight how even unlikely heroes can help keep the spark of hope alive in a troubled galaxy.

Joining the cast for the epic conclusion are guest stars Joe Manganiello (Magic Mike) as Ax Tagrin; Daveed Diggs (from the original Broadway cast of the musical Hamilton) as Norath Kev; Matthew Wood (Star Wars: The Clone Wars) as Kylo Ren, and Lucy Lawless (Xena: Warrior Princess) as the Aeosian Queen. Christopher Sean stars as Kazuda Xiono alongside co-stars: Suzie McGrath as Tam Ryvora; Scott Lawrence as Jarek Yeager; Myrna Velasco as Torra Doza; Josh Brener as Neeku Vozo; Donald Faison as Hype Fazon; Elijah Wood as Jace Rucklin; Jim Rash and Bobby Moynihan as Flix and Orka, respectively; Liam McIntyre as Commander Pyre; Jason Hightower as Captain Doza; and Sumalee Montano as Agent Tierny.

The series was created by renowned Lucasfilm Animation veteran Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels); executive-produced by Athena Portillo (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels), Justin Ridge (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) and Brandon Auman (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles); and art-directed by Amy Beth Christenson (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels).

Season Two
Episode 1:
Into the Unknown
Airdate: October 6, 2019

Synopsis: Having been launched into space by Kaz and crew, the Colossus is having engineering problems, which are made all the more worse by a mysterious stowaway.

Discuss Star Wars: Resistance right here at The Disney-Pixar Forum!

Related Discussion:
Star Wars: Forces of Destiny Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: Rebels Series Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: Rebels - Spark of Rebellion Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars "Ambush" Series Premiere Talkback (Spoilers)

Spider-Man

A great start to the new season and Kaz definitely seemed a little more pulled in than in the first season. I'm really interested to see what's going to happen with Tam in the show. A really interesting story could come from all that.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars Resistance "Into The Unknown"

The show isn't great, but it's sort of nice to watch a light and humorous Star Wars project. Those have been few and far between since the original trilogy.

I continue to detest Tam and resent Kaz for wanting to repair a friendship with a person that toxic.

The climax was pretty exciting.

Decent premiere. I look forward to seeing what the final season holds. ***1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars Resistance "A Quick Salvage Run"

That was a pretty great episode and I'll get into its great things very shortly, but the episode really concerned me regarding Tam. And I'm going to voice my concerns and fears ahead of time.

They are the same as the redemption for Darth Vader. Just based on what we'd seen Vader do, and not even counting the horrible stuff they'd hinted he's done, Vader should not have been able to redeem himself enough to become a blue ghost forever, and hang out with Yoda and Obi-Wan for all eternity. People have criticized all aspects George Lucas's writing in the prequels, but I think that's the easily the worst thing he's ever done. It's like trying to say Hitler can redeemed if he saves his own son's life at the last second, and all of the millions of people he killed can be forgiven after that. People talk smack about the Ewoks in Jedi, but the truth, it's an otherwise solid movie whose biggest fault isn't alien teddy bears. It's its abhorrent moral philosophy. And I find most of the philosophy regarding The Force quite abhorrent myself, but saying one person can forgive Vader (not to mention the one person who WANTS to forgive him) and the slate is wiped clean is disgusting.

And so we turn to Tam. I learned a very interesting thing this episode. Season 1 clearly took place before The Force Awakens. This episode is the first Star Wars project I've seen set after The Last Jedi. It's obviously all headed towards The Rise Of Skywalker, but the show is no longer a prequel to the new trilogy. We aren't even all caught up. As far as the movies go, we're ahead of the game, and beyond the point where we last saw the main characters. The timeline is now significant to me.

Last year, Tam really angered me with her defense of the Empire. She's basically talking up how solid the Nazis were, and how impressive it was the trains ran on time. The fact that Darth Vader blew up Alderrean on a whim doesn't concern her, which is frankly a perfect statement about modern politics. But she's young, and it's clear she had crappy parents, so I might have been able to excuse this grossness of a character defect eventually if she learned the truth and changed her mind. And whether she likes the Empire or not, the truth is, the worth and value of the First Order during the last season was a genuine controversy because it WAS debatable, and neither side actually knew for sure where things stood.

But now it's established that Tam was actually IN the First Order as Kylo Ren murdered Han Solo and committed genocide against the Rebels and destroyed their based. And Tam is STILL unsure? I have to say it's far too late for a redemption arc for this character. The show is dumb enough to believe I want that at this point, and the furtive glances are to try to get me to hope "She'll Do The Right Thing." You know what? I don't care if she does. It's far too late. She was part and party to genocide. The only way I want to see Tam's arc end is her punished for the amount of suffering she has clearly taken part of. I don't want her to have a last minute change of heart and realize Kaz was right all along. If and when Ren and Plasmus' heads go up on the chopping block, she deserves every bit to kneel next to them on the bloody stump. And it's weird the show is asking me to believe differently.

Maybe if there weren't the time-jump to after Last Jedi, I would feel different. But after all of the billions of people Ren has murdered, I have no sympathy for Tam whatsoever. She is a bad person, and a villain, and deserves whatever fate befalls bad people and villains in these types of moments in history. And I feel very strongly about that.

I DID mention the episode was still great, didn't I? The show had a shocking lack of space battles in season one, (understandable as it was set on a planet-side base) but it's good to know they can knock it out of the park. And while the rational part of me knows Neeku could have inserted the vial much faster, and that it would have even been safer for him to do that instead of waiting until the ship starts rocking, you know what? That's legit tension. It's not EARNED tension, it's stupid tension, but I felt it just the same. I'll give the episode that.

If Tam doesn't end the series dead or in a stockade the story is being told wrong. This episode at least was told right. ****1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars Resistance "Live Fire"

"I hope you know what I'm doing" sums up Hype completely. What a total knob.

I like that Yeagar believes he and Kaz can take out the rest of the recruits themselves. I like even better than he's right.

Hype blames Kaz for Tam? Hype is the worst.

Speaking of Tam, as she was being sternly lectured for being competent, which is a villain no-no, the specific things the mean lady was saying to her told me the First Order has a BAD PR problem. That is not how you sell a movement, especially to someone who might otherwise not be on the fence. When the other woman asks Griff earlier that she didn't think Empire soldiers were the kind of people who had each other's backs, he bitterly replies they didn't, and that's why they lost. I cannot speak for every fighting force that existed, but that's right. The really successful ones had soldiers that looked out for and took care of each other. It's like the First Order is deliberately weeding out the very traits they would actually need to win a war in the long haul. Because they certainly aren't going to win heart and minds and the messaging war with that platform.

They want to weed out to weak soldiers? Soldiers are not an unlimited resource. The sooner you start treating them like cannon fodder, the less likely you'll actually HAVE non-conscripted people who actually want to fight for you. What she is saying goes against every good army's philosophy.

And if this show is canon, and it's supposed to be, that makes me even madder Ren has gotten as far as he has. People who believe those kinds of things are the precise people bad things happen to. Ren has fought the odds of chaos theory and won. And hearing that makes me believe by blind luck. He so did not earn it.

It was an interesting episode. ***1/2.

Spider-Man

The show is really starting to pick up. The second episode was an improvement over the first one and while the third one wasn't as good it seems like the show is starting to head in a really neat direction. I think it's easy to tell where this season is going to end up but I still think we have an interesting journey ahead. I'm really interested in how the Tam subplot is going to play out. I find myself more interested in it than I expected as I wonder how they're going to make her redeemable before the season is out. I can't see them pushing her further into the First Order.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars Rebels "Hunt On Celsor 3"

That was diverting enough, I suppose, but it was not strong at all. I could pick a million holes without even trying. On the surface it was entertaining. Under the surface it was a mess.

Let's get to the worst thing that has nothing to do with a plothole. But Doza is a total wimp. It is galling he has to seriously take leadership lessons from his teenage daughter. I'd feel less worse if she were steering him wrong, but everything she said is true, which makes him seem all the more ineffective.

For the record not having food is not a situation people can "wait and see about". I think the rule is that society is about five missed meals away from descending into anarchy. I also took notice that they were out of water at the beginning and that was never addressed. Water you can't even really go a day without. The show's treatment of survival instincts and skills is not as poorly written or thought out as a legal episode on a Greg Berlanti show. But like Riverdale and The Flash, it would have been nice if the writers did some research about this subject ahead of time. You'd think they would if the season is entirely about survival. And they are making plot mistakes that I as a layman can poke holes in. Not good.

The other thing is that Kaz and Tora forgave the pirates for stranding them and leaving them to die with an insincere apology. That infuriates me that the show expects me to just forgive and forget something like that. They treat it as a cartoon problem, and on a season where survival seems to be everyone's goal, that's a really bad sign that they aren't treating the premise with the seriousness it deserves. I don't actually believe it's a great idea that every single Star Wars project is canon now. I have noticed that Resistance more than once has actually damaged the credibility of the entire premise. It's nice to get a light and fun Star Wars project. But I think you can set that tone without completely defanging the rest of the continuity. Rebels was probably more vanilla than was advisable. But I never really had major objections to the things it was adding to the canon. While everything is canon, I think the Universe would have been better off if Resistance didn't actually exist. The downside to calling everything canon is that people who aren't as invested in the quality or well-being of the franchise as the people who produce the live-action movies can damage the Universe with some badly written cartoons, novels, or comic books. I don't object to the Disney mandate of everything from now on being canon, and almost everything else being disregarded because I miss the Extended Universe. It's because every single weak project will now effect and hurt the canon as a whole. I would love to act like this show doesn't matter. While it actually does, every misstep concerns me greatly. And this is a show with a lot of missteps.

I can't decide if I like Buggles or not. He's annoying, but he has a great name. I'm still on the fence.

That was a good way to kill 22 minutes. Was it good television? Not remotely. **1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: Resistance "The Engineer"

That mostly worked, but I could pick a couple of holes.

Sinara's entire job was making sure Nina didn't get to the ship and she completely messed that up. Kas couldn't radio over the comm that Nina was trying to escape? That strikes me as a plot oversight.

So Nina is now going to be executed by the First Order if they see her again. Nice friends you've got there, Nina. Tell me again what it's like to be on the winning side.

Pretty good. ***1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars Resistance "From Beneath"

I like the design of the dragons. When I saw there was a whole bunch of them I was like "Oh snap!" Snap dragons they were.

I don't like that there is almost no variation in Flik's family's designs. I also thought it was dumb that Flanks got caught in one of the Dragon's mouths (and the Dragon even close it twice!) and still survived.

It was a diverting enough episode. ***1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars Resistance "The Relic Raiders"

Kaz is pretty much Shortround throughout that.

I love him telling CB-23 he had a bad attitude. That's funny.

What is that Meeka Gray lady? Is she related to Asokha from The Clone Wars?

The correct lesson here is "Never try."

That was pretty good. ***1/2.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars Resistance "Rendezvous Point"

I like Tora's mom a lot. Although I don't know why everyone is trying to give Tam the second chances they are. She says Yeager should have trusted her. Why? She went and joined the First Order with very little prodding. How is she a person worthy of Yeager's trust? Honestly, I found Mrs. Doza declaring that a mistake far-fetched. I think Yeager's instincts of not trusting Tam were right on the money.

That was pretty cool, but I don't like Tam episodes as a rule because I find the character so loathsome. She doesn't even know why she's there. Which makes her as evil as the rest of them. ****.

Spider-Man

It seems like the show is trying to work in a redemption arc for Tam when she really didn't need one in the first place. I get why she joined the First Order, because she was mad at Yeager but I don't find that it works in this case. This doesn't really help her character in any way that I can think of too. That's probably my only really issue with the series. The rest of the show I'm enjoying and even Kaz seems to be getting more tolerable. And the plot with Tora and her parents was unexpectedly sweet, especially the scene with her and her dad.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars: Resistance "The Vox Vortex 5000"

As far as Hutts go, Frankie ain't that bad.

The race was exciting. Seriously cool.

I loved Neeku getting messed up by those Salacious Crumbs. That was funny.

Solid episode. ****.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Star Wars Resistance "Kaz's Curse"

That was good.

The idea that a curse is stronger the more you believe in it is a good one and says that curses aren't really real which is a good moral.

I liked it. ****.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I'm still trying to add pages from Yahoo Answers to the Wayback Machine; if you know of any interesting pages add them & send me a link.
I still hate the fact on the forums when you make a comment on a post and even you click "watch" you sometimes get no notification about it when someone makes a comment.
Someone made an interesting comparison between Sponge Out Of Water and Avengers Endgame.

Brenda Song and Macaulay Culkin have their first baby, a son named Dakota.

The Anime Superhero Hotel Concept is now available to everyone in this forum. Check it out if you want it.

Featured Posts