Star Wars References in Animation

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
We all know that Star Wars is one of the most influential media franchises in history. We have recently seen the Baby Yoda meme from The Mandalorian on Disney Plus, and a lot of us are getting excited over The Rise of Skywalker, which is set to be released in theaters on December 20th. Star Wars has had tremendous influence throughout animation, and I thought it would be a great idea to discuss the various references to Star Wars throughout animation. I could name some references right now:

The Powerpuff Girls: Boogie Frights- there is a reference to the Battle of Yavin from A New Hope.
Rocko's Modern Life: Teed Off- one character looks and behaves like Darth Vader.
The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy: Billy and Mandy Save Christmas- Luke Skywalker and a Wampa appear.

What are some other references to Star Wars?

Last edited:

JoeMabbon

Autobot
A recent episode of Transformers Cyberverse had a character called “Red Five” a reference to Luke’s callsign in A New Hope. The character also used some of Luke’s lines during the episode’s space dogfight scene.

Nien Nunb is brought to life from a trading card in the season 2 finale of The Venture Bros. He helps pilot thet X-1 and dies when it crashes. There are even more references (Team Venture dresses up as Star Wars characters for a costume party) but I’ll stop there.

5YearsOnEastCoast

Well after the credits of last episode of Total Drama World Tour, we see a recreation of scene from Star Wars Episode 3 where Alan Skywalker was put in a robot suit. Except Alan, it was Alejandro. Alejandro even shouted the famous 'NOOOOOOOOOO!!!' at the end like Alan did.
And if we are talking about animated movies, Runt from Chicken Little mentioned Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker.

JoeMabbon

Autobot
2003 Ninja Turtles has a scene where the turtles and the Fugitoid are looking for a pilot and ship to get them to Earth. Camera pans to Han and Chewie lookalikes and one of them, either Leo or Donny, says we can do better.

At one point, the password to enter Dexter’s lab was simply saying “Star Wars” in Dexter’s voice.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Mayor Quimby: "And let me just say, May the Force be with you!"

Leonard Nimoy: "Do you even know who I am?"

Quimby: "I think I do. Weren't you one of the Little Rascals?"

Mark Hamill: "Homer! Use the for... use the for..."

Homer: "The Force?"

Hamill: "The forks!"

"Luke be a Jedi Tonight!"

AdrenalineRush1996

There was a scene in Voltron: Legendary Defender episode "Black Site" in which Haggar builds a life support suit around Zarkon, similar to how Anakin's transformation as Darth Vader is completed when he gains his life support suit near the end of Revenge of the Sith, to the point that some fans called Emperor Zarkon's appearance post-season 3 "Darth Zarkon" on Tumblr.

RainbowCupcake

Finish your dessert and like it!!!
I found two in Wander Over Yonder.

The It: While Lord Hater and Wander are playing tag, Hater becomes frozen in a way that mimics how Han Solo was frozen in a block of carbonite.

The New Toy: The famous line, "I love you." "I know." is said twice within the episode. The first time is during the toy commercial and the second time is at the end of the episode where Dominator jumps out of the car.

Dr.Pepper

The Kids Next Door episode operation SNOWING has a lot of Star Wars references.

There was a late episode of Rugrats that was a parody. Honestly all I really remember was Angelica with a Darth Vader mask.

Dantheman

You ever wondered why the Hall of Doom from Challenge of the Super Friends kinda sorta resembles Darth Vader's helmet? Well, I remember reading about the accounts of a Hanna-Barbera employee who worked there in the 1970s/80s, and he said on the day Star Wars came out, everybody in the studio but Joe Barbera took the day off to go see it, and when they came back to work, Bill Hanna sent an inter-office memo that basically said, if they wanted to "appropriate" anything from the movie for their shows, it would be fine by him.

Considering all the space-based shows HB put out, it's no wonder they were bitten by the Star Wars bug.

SweetShop209

The subplot of the Big City Greens episode "Clubbed" has Cricket and Bill watch Constellation Battles. Disney even made the Star Wars connection in the title.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I wish a happy birthday to Corey Burton (66) (voice of Professor Ludwig Von Drake for over 30 years, as well as Megatron on Transformers Animated), Sumalee Montano (49) (voice of Arcee on Transformers Prime and Katana on Beware The Batman), and Travis Willingham (40) (voice of King Roland on Sofia The First and Thor on many Marvel cartoons since Avengers Assemble).
My grandfather just passed away…

The winner of this matchup is Happy Birthday Scooby Doo, which got 3 votes. A Scooby Doo Valentine got 0 votes. The next matchup is Birthday For A Princess. It's between "Surprise" from Cleopatra In Space and "The Birthday Cruise" from Elena Of Avalor.
After the animated movie announcement, did not at all think a live-action TMNT was still in development.
CNC
Thinking about rebranding myself sometime later this year. Like, changing my screen name, new accounts, etc. But I don't think my haters would trust me if I did. Would those people build confidence if I considered doing it? Like, I WAS gonna do it soon, but I probably need to hold off for a long while.

Featured Posts