"Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Apprently, this is the leaked poster:

Last edited:

Freddy

Nonononono! I loved The Last Jedi (my favorite Star Wars movie, in fact), but this is everything I feared when Abrams came back . We don't need Palpatine to come back in any shape or form, and we don't need to pander to the fans who felt Rey should have been Skywalker.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Sigh....

They’re actually bringing back the Emperor, aren’t they? The one thing I hoped they wouldn’t do. The ending of Return of The Jedi has maybe the most powerful moment in the entire series: when Vader turns and kills him. It’s so well done, and provides the perfect ending for both chapters. I never saw it as the end of the series, per se. After all, the Dark Side never truly ends. But this? Pointlessly bringing him back? It makes no sense and highlights the problem with this trilogy: a lack of focus. I liked TFA and TLJ just fine, but they’re very different movies. TLJ firmly established Kylo Ren as the big bad of the trilogy. So why not just focus on him? Why shoehorn the Emperor in? I’ll see it, but I’m not optimistic. Also, please tell me Rey was secretly Luke’s daughter all along or something like that. The reveal of her parentage was my favourite thing of TLJ, and finding out something like that would be enough to make me leave the theatre. This is a giant galaxy, and they expect me to believe this random woman on a random planet just happens to be the daughter of one out established main characters?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Anyone miss when just one person (Lucas) was running the show. This is obviously so messy undoing what previous movies were building towards. Why didn't Disney plan the movies in advance? My excitement is so tempered.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Anyone miss when just one person (Lucas) was running the show. This is obviously so messy undoing what previous movies were building towards. Why didn't Disney plan the movies in advance? My excitement is so tempered.
Well, yes and no. I do miss the idea of Star Wars being a creator driven franchise where things are planned out, but I don't miss Lucas being in charge at all, and never will. I find it baffling how the Disney movies have caused some fans to look at the prequels with nostalgia. Those are terrible movies, and they will always be terrible. Even if you don't like what Disney is doing, that doesn't suddenly make the acting, dialogue or story ideas in the prequels not terrible. I agree the sequels are messy, but I will take any one of these new saga movies or even the spinoffs over a movie like Attack of the Clones any day.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Well, yes and no. I do miss the idea of Star Wars being a creator driven franchise where things are planned out, but I don't miss Lucas being in charge at all, and never will. I find it baffling how the Disney movies have caused some fans to look at the prequels with nostalgia. Those are terrible movies, and they will always be terrible. Even if you don't like what Disney is doing, that doesn't suddenly make the acting, dialogue or story ideas in the prequels not terrible. I agree the sequels are messy, but I will take any one of these new saga movies or even the spinoffs over a movie like Attack of the Clones any day.

Nobody misses his writing. They miss his direction, especially since Abrams admitted they didn't map out this trilogy and it unfortunately showed.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Sorry "The Last Jedi" fans...I enjoyed parts of "The Last Jedi", didn't enjoy other aspects...but I was left a little dead to Star Wars after "The Last Jedi" concluded....but now, that trailer has gone and got me interested again.

I remember an interview with the actor who played Palpatine a couple years ago, with him saying he was never approached to appear in any of the new Star Wars films. Well....I guess things have changed.

Palpatine MIGHT not fully be in the movie. What if it's just a hologram message left for Rey to find? Either way, I'm intrigued.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Nobody misses his writing. They miss his direction, especially since Abrams admitted they didn't map out this trilogy and it unfortunately showed.
Well, in the defence of the sequels, it was a lot easier for prequel era Lucas than it is for Kennedy and company because everyone already knew where the story was going. Everyone knew Anakin was a Jedi who was going to become Vader, everyone knew he and Padme were going to fall in love, everyone knew she was going to die but not before giving birth to the twins, everyone knew that Obi Wan was going to go into isolation on Tatooine, and everyone knew Palpatine was going to become the Emperor. Many of these things were known before Phantom Menace even came out just by the events of the original trilogy and statements from Lucas in the intervening years, and all of them were obvious by the time the credits rolled on Phantom Menace. No one walked into a movie like Revenge of the Sith expecting many surprises. Lucas was creating a trilogy that already had few to no surprises. And before you say "Well he planned this out back in the 70s," let me remind you that Gary Kurtz also played a key role in shaping the series, and that the movies started declining in quality after he left. It's a misnomer to say Lucas single handedly planned this in the 70s, and it wasn't exactly rocket science for him to create the prequels. And yes, he had a direction, but it was a mostly terrible one. Just because something was planned for the start doesn't mean its good. And as a sidenote, there's no way Lucas had it planned out like he said he did. I refuse to believe he knew that Luke and Leia were siblings when he approved Splinters of the Mind's Eye, or at least I hope not.

Here, they're forced to make it up as they go along. Could they have planned better? Absolutely. But whereas Lucas had most of the work done for him, they're having to make it up as they go along. And at least the movies are (in my opinion) good. I'd rather have a somewhat disjointed trilogy made up of good movies then a seamless trilogy of terrible ones, which is what the prequels were. But we're getting a bit off topic here.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
I'm fine with that. Like I said before, I didn't take Kylo's comments in Ep. 8 to heart. He wouldn't be a reliable source, imo. I know most are quick to say retcon and Abrams is just sweeping aside Ep. 8 below the rug but we'll see how it plays out.
That's one reason why I felt a lot of people have overreacted when it came to the reveal of Rey's parents, as it's likely that they're not her biological one (the other reason is because the Jedi not being allowed to have romantic relationships during the Old Republic made the idea of Force-user families a rarity) .

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.

Featured Posts