Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Rate the movie and join the discussion below!

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The Force ... it's calling to you. Just ... let it in.

sw7.jpg

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Release date: December 18, 2015, with December 7pm (local time) showings
Studio: Walt Disney Pictures, Lucasfilm
Director: J.J. Abrams
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for sci-fi action violence)
Screenwriters: J.J. Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan
Starring: Harrison Ford, Andy Serkis, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, Peter Mayhew, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Oscar Isaac, Max von Sydow, Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson, Gwendoline Christie, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Lupita Nyong'o, Crystal Clarke, Pip Anderson, Christina Chong, Miltos Yerolemou

Plot Summary: Lucasfilm and visionary director J.J. Abrams join forces to take you back again to a galaxy far, far away as Star Wars returns to the big screen with Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Discuss Star Wars: The Force Awakens! The good! The bad! Did it live up to the hype! Talk about it all right here!

Related Discussions:
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Talkback Back (Spoilers)
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: The Clone Wars Animated Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Shattered Empire Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: Vader Down Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: Chewbacca Comic Talkback (Spoilers)

Star Wars: Lando Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: Princess Leia Comic Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: Darth Vader Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Last edited:

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.
Even as someone who's admittedly a Star Wars novice, who only just this year began watching the original trilogy, I can definitely tell you that it was by far worth the wait. It's a huge love letter to the franchise, while also opening the door to making the franchise even greater. Admittedly, it does tread on former ground a bit too much, but Abrams successfully gave us a glorious return to a wonderful series, and I'm definitely excited to see what the other directors have in store in the coming years.

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Two things I'd like to know ahead of time:

How many trailers did you get? I would imagine every major motion picture coming out in the next year is going to want their trailer before this thing. How many trailers will I have to wait through before the actual film starts?

Two, someone find out if there's a scene after the credits. Star Wars has never done such a thing, but these days, you can never be too sure.

tucsoncoyote

Time to get my "Game face" on
I am going to sum this movie up in five simple words..

This .. will. blow.. your.. Mind..

or these five words...

This.. Will ...blow.. you ... away.

Let's be honest.. anyone who is under the age of say 17 remembers the Prequels (Episodes 1, 2, and 3, and anyone over the age of 40 (Myself included ) remembers Episodes 4, 5, and 6.. and believe me, the people under the age of 17 gdrew the short straw... Cause to be honest:

7 does not disappoint..

And yes you all thought the Hype train for this movie was just a myth? As Han Solo said it best,

"It';s true... All of it..."

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens isn't hype.. In fact when you compare this to the first 3 wpiosedes from 1999 to the early 2000's this was the disappointing hype.. and for good reason.. They tried to do this second.. and in the end, it suffered due to a few things, including dare i say it.. Jar Jar Binks..(That lucky Gungnin bastard!..)

But this time around? It's no hype.. This is the real McCoy.. The stuff that made the Star Wars Franchise Great.. and above all tonight a lot of people were out.. and I mean we're talking jammed packed to the Gills (No Offense there Admiral Ackbar!) full houses... and I mean full. and you know how movies are today.. with people on their cell phones talking? Well guess what? Those Cell phones were off, no one was texting, and no one and i mean no one.. was talking.. In fact, they sat there.. Speechless.. and I mean quiet as a doormouse on Christmas Day, sat in stunned silence as this film raced across the screen at "break neck" speed.. (and if you wer ein a Jet Fighter, this type of action would literaly break your neck!)

This time around we start a new trilogy, and this time, we bring in the next Generation of Heros.. Gone are the old days of the Empire.. and the Legacy that existed when Anakin Skywalker became Vader and he and the Emperor (Lord Palpatine, better known as Dark Sidious), ruled the entire galaxy (yeah . htat Galaxy Long Long aggo and Far Far away..) with an iron fist.. (or rather with the Dark side of the Force)..

Now the one thing that makes this more episc than ever, is that now we're not dealing with LucasFilms, but rather Disney (who owns Lucas Films) and back when DIsney Land was still the Happiest place on earth, the rides were marked with the Letters A to E for the excitement and thrill of the ride orf adventure you were about to experience inside the park? Well let's put it this way.. If we used that A to E rating for Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens.. This ride would be Triple F (FFF). and believe me in the 17 years since the last trilogy, the technology has improved to the point where this movie doesn't make you want you to get out of your seat.. but rather strap in, and then.. Hit that Hyperspace button.. cause in the short span of just Cause brother, Not even a horde of TIE FIghters could stop this one.. Heck.. This one makes those 1990's star wars look the lamest of the bunch.. But it does tell one thing and that one thing that it tells is in fact story... (And man Mr. Frank Oz, if you were alive and around today, Yoda would be jumping up and down in joy, screaming "Yes! Yes! Strong is the force, that is.!"

Oh and the villains? If you thught the Empire was evil.. The First order makes the Old Empire look tame.. I and these guys don't have a Death Star.. They have a weapon so powerful.. that..

Well I would never want to have these guys show up on my door step.. Ever... Or even in this solar system with that thing.. (and yes there's no flawsw with this new weapon.. and I mean No exahaust ports, to fire Proton Torpedoes down.. This movie is perhaps one of the more rock solid episodes in the franchise.. in fact this actually could rival the first Star Wars Movie (Episode IV: A New Hope) and leave you wwanting to gasp for breath as the walls of that Trash Compactor start to close in....

In short, Like I said.. Triple FF ride.. and the F isn't for the wF bomb, but rather the word is.. Fun... that's right Triple F as in Fun, Fun, and Fun...
and I think any Ewok or Wookie can agree to that.. Especially if they smash you with the logs again...

But let's be frank here, this isn't the perfect star Wars, no were any of the others,, but then this one is high on the list.. and if you got critics singing the praises and giving high marks (Rotten Tomatoes gives this movie a 95% rating .. 95%.. as bonafide good clean fun, well then brother you got a winner right here..)

But this story isn't like the more light hearted and action packed episodes before it.. This one.. goes into "Batman" Territory.. and the PG-13 rating shows it.. I mean this is dark, this is gritty, this aint your father's light saber .. This is really what the world has become.. Dark, Gritty, and evil.. and this .. Its like our real world..

And now, try to figure out the plot.. is this story good? It's better than good, it's as people said as they came out of the theater, .. one word.. Awesome..

and no, this is no Jedi Mind Trick.. This is the movie worth watching, this is the movie that stars the next Generation of the Star Wars Franchise going, and this.. thisis what Legends are made of.. This isn't 1977.. This isn't 1999, this is 2015, and this.. is Star Wars The Force Awakens.. and believe me, this is not only putting the Franchise back on the map, it's makiing that small House of Mouse, roaring like the lion King it really is.. and yes, It's good to be king.. Did they do the right things? yes .. yes they did.. Did they get the right director? With a name like Aabrams, it has to be good, complete with Lens flare.. Does this movie take the Franchise to a new level? It does and further then that Glasxy that the war is continuing in..

In short, tis is one Force that is so strong.. that this.. This is in fact a "Force" to be reckoned with.. This is going to be the new standard when it comes to star wars.. this will be the legaxy that when we hear the name George Lucas, Mark Hammill, Carrie Fisher, and even the rest, well.. This Force will be the thing that makes our especapist world.. a Little more.. real..

And yes in the immortal words of Obi-Wan Kenobi,

The Force is with us.. Always..

Final rating.. 5 stars out of 5, This movie is so darn close I bet Walt Disney is smiling at this.. right now...

rggkjg1

KRYPTONITE NEVERMORE!
I really don't know what to say. Not because I was blown away in complete amazement, or because what I saw as a complete let down. My attitude is hesitant to commit on whether it was bad, ok, or good. I've felt indifference going into this movie because I didn't want to get so hyped up and set up self up for a let down just because of my self hype setting expectations that couldn't be met.

I still don't know what to say. I've written paragraphs for this and just keep deleting them because I can't find the words, or what I write really can't describe how I feel on this movie (or the course of the franchise). All my life I heard that there was never going to be 7,8,9. So, after Revenge Of The Sith came out, the saga was complete. And I KNEW it was officially complete. What else are you supposed to do but move on? Since there was such finality to the entire thing, how can I just suddenly get right back to this when I got "closure" and moved on?

Is this the second best Star Wars as some claim it is? Absolutely not. Is it fourth best? Maybe. Is it exciting this is happening? Yes. Does it "fix", "redeem", "make up for", etc the prequels? That's irrelevant. The prequels are a non issue for The Force Awakens, it's time to go forward.

I really hoped I wasn't going to have to ask this question after seeing the movie, but unfortunately I have to ask "What was the point of deleting the expanded universe when _________________________?"

The blank I fill in is
in Force Awakens they had Han and Leia's son be a Jedi apprentice who turned to the dark side?

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.

How many trailers did you get? I would imagine every major motion picture coming out in the next year is going to want their trailer before this thing. How many trailers will I have to wait through before the actual film starts?

Two, someone find out if there's a scene after the credits. Star Wars has never done such a thing, but these days, you can never be too sure.
1. Keep in mind that I had a 3D showing, so it may or may not impact how many trailers a 2D show will get. (And if you're wondering about the 3D...it was okay I guess.) Off the top of my head, I only had around 8 or so.

2. I already checked, and there's absolutely nothing. After the credits, there's the Bad Robot logo, then there's Lucasfilm, and then the theater lights come on.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
I only had about four trailers Zootopia, Captain America: Civil War, X-Men: Apocalypse, and Independence Day: Resurgence.

I really hoped I wasn't going to have to ask this question after seeing the movie, but unfortunately I have to ask "What was the point of deleting the expanded universe when _________________________?"

The blank I fill in is
in Force Awakens they had Han and Leia's son be a Jedi apprentice who turned to the dark side?
Personally, I have a theory that (spoilers for those who either haven't seen the latest Star Wars film or are familiar with the Extended Universe)
the new trilogy is doing its own version of the Solo twins from the Expanded Universe.

Last edited:

ms78

I had Batman vs Superman, Kung Fu Panda 3, X-Men Apocalypse, the Finest Hours, Independence Day 2, Jungle Book, & Warcraft.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I think I've said this before but growing up I wasn't ever the... biggest fan of Star Wars. I mean I like pretty much everyone knew what it was and I have seen a good amount of the original trilogy but... mostly the first half of episode four and Return of the Jedi. Granted I know what happens in those movies due to pop culture but admittedly I wasn't so much into the original movies as a lot of other people were. Honestly I probably have more "nostalgia attachment" to the prequels, all of which I have seen. I remember viewing The Phantom Menace on a bus ride at school, saw Attack of the clones on TV and through a friend, and said friend and me actually did this big late night trip to see episode 3, Revenge Of The Sith when it came out. In fact I remember we liked or at least enjoyed good chunks of that movie so much it's one of the very few movies I saw in theaters multiple times. And of course I was also a huge fan of the Genndy Tartaovskey Star Wars Clone Wars cartoon (saw some of the other clone wars but not so much a fan of it) which IMHO was a great prequel to episode 3. But after 3 that's really all I thought we'd see: despite how many reviews and complainers there had been for the prequels (which though they do have their bad moments I don't think are the worst things ever) Lucas had completed his vision and made the last films of Star Wars. There would be spinoffs for years to come sure but I never thought we'd get another big live action release sort of movie. Star Wars was a brand franchise sure but one that was likely going to survive in other forms on the big screen and the future of the universe would be written in various books and novels and comics then in actors on a screen.

Until that is Disney stepped in.

Yeah I have to admit I was surprised to hear not only how Disney had bought Star Wars back in 2012, but how quick they were to announce their plans with it. Including not only discontiuining projects that no longer fit the specific Star Wars canon they were going for, but their plans for release. As yeah it was three years ago they said this movie which hadn't even had a title was coming December 2015. And as more details came abound I admit the more exited I was getting. Again I don't hate the prequels like a good amount of fans do but I admit I don't really care for the concept of prequel in general and prefer sequels and stories that continue where certain characters pick up and where new ones come in as you don't know where those are going nearly as much. Plus the more it was talked about in terms of them getting the original cast, and how they were putting such a focus on practical effects and of diverse new characters and how they were getting J.J Abrhams to direct (who everyone said made good "Star Wars" movies of his Star Trek flicks) and just how they were trying to keep everything as much of a secret as possible got me hooked. Because in a day and age where it seems like these big movies you know a lot of these major plot points going in, this one does feel like a total surprise. Heck before I went in to see it I only knew vague things and honestly though I remember hearing what the new characters names were, I had forgotten and wasn't going to look up not only for fear of spoilers but to go into this as fresh as possible. Even if you like the prequels you know what they're leading to and what direction they have to go in. But for the first time since Return of the Jedi honestly, we have a new full on Star Wars project we have no idea where it's going or what's going to happen in it and something about that is just exiting and fills me with so much hype. So did they deliver on showcasing all that hype?

I would say for the most part it worked, but there were some problems with this one.

You can tell that J.J Abrams had a hand in the script because though there aren't any "mysterious out of left hand twists" put into the mix, there is a lot of "pay homage to the source material but take quite a lot of the plot to make it not feel nearly as fresh as it should be" that was prevalent in his Star Trek movies. Seriously for all the secrecy and cover ups they had about this movie, it's basic plot when you get right down to it is quite a lot like the first Star Wars movie: There's this secret plan implemented in this droid after a shot of a giant enemy ship over head as our hood clad villain introduces himself before the main hero characters. And these rag tag bunch of misfits join together with the resistance to defeat a giant super weapon the Empire, I mean "New Order" have in stock and manage to destroy it thanks to some ace piloting skills and targeting the ship's weakness. Oh also along the way the main hero learns of their Jedi nature and begins training in the force and an old mentor figure dies because of said hooded masked figure. Parts of this do feel a lot like a revamp of the first Star Wars which honestly do feel rather disappointing as you kind of then know where the story's going and for something that was actually kept under locks for so long does feel rather disappointing. And granted that is a problem for a good amount of sequels but others do a much better job either hiding or changing things to feel different. For example Creed when you get right down to it took a lot from the other Rocky movies but had enough of it's own identity to feel like it's own movie. Though I think something Rocky has over Star Wars is it's much more character focused. So if the people are different then the tone feels incredibly different. Though there are good characters and they have their moments here, Star Wars is much more story oriented. Which oddly enough makes me realize an advantage the prequels have: they were telling their own stories. Say what you want about the Senate scenes of The Phantom Menace, the romance of Attack of the Clones and Anakin's turn in Return of the Sith, they felt like they were doing much more their own thing then a lot of story bits in this movie did. This is especially true of the super weapon which is compared to the Death Star but they're like "well it's like a hundred times bigger then the Death Star and blows up several planets". Well okay but in the end it's still being defeated by finding out the shield generator from another planet and a bunch of fighters led by a super capable pilot blasting the weapon away. So it's pretty much taking the climax of Return of the Jedi with the original in that regard. And in that regard it makes the entire thing feel a lot more safe and straight forward then I was expecting. Serously for the folks who were talking about "Well Age of Ultron isn't like Empire Strikes Back as the MCU can't make that kind of sequel" seems like Star Wars is in that camp. Yeah I know the ending implies we're going to see our main hero and villain training and there will be a big focus on that next time around but... at this present point Kylo Ren vs Ray rematch isn't exactly enough to make me be super hype for Episode VIII or anything.

Also though the dialogue itself is a lot tighter and more character and generally flows better then the prequels, there's still a lot of cornball and weaker bits that could of been tightened from another rewrite. Like Finn and Po Danabar chatting while they were escaping the New Order ship, or the whole "Finn lies to Ray to make her think he's actually part of the alliance when he isn't" (they didn't go in the more predictable annoying direction they could of with that but the bits of it still could of been done better), or Kylo Ren talking about not wanting to be tempted to the light side (So what did the not Emperor tell Ren/Ben anyway about his grandfather if he thinks the guy died in service of the dark side? "Oh yeah Darth Vader was totally evil to the end even though you should of been told by Luke he actually did redeem himself and die a hero balancing the force. Because uh... that didn't happen and uh... Luke made the previous emperor trip and fell while hacking away Vader so they're the ones you shouldn't trust oooh.") or Leia asking Han to get their son back (maybe at least try and offer to volunteer. Since actually being a part of the missions as we saw from the original movies is something she's good at. Hey if Harrison Ford can still go on such missions I think Carrie Fisher could of), or Kylo Ren trying to tempt Ray. There's nothing terribly embarrassing or really annoying about them but this felt like something that could of been tightened with another draft. Heck at least at the end have Ray say back to Leia "may the force also be you" and then you could of even passed the Bechdel test... oh wait I guess technically it did when Ray and Ma were talking about her taking her father's lightsaber. Eh I don't know a word from the younger generation to the old was something I would of wanted to see and was disappointed we didn't get. Also guess R2-D2 is sort of jerk if he only reboots at the end when likely he could of before to pin point where Luke was which oddly enough despite that being the catalysis to a lot of the movie, Luke doesn't play a part in things here at all. Which honestly I do appreciate and does show like a good "passing the torch generation wise" movie should do but just feels weird for how much talk there was about him all he got was 30 seconds at the end without saying anything... I'm sure if Finn or Ray's actors weren't so stoked about being in this movie they'd be annoyed how their credits despite being the main stars are below so many others who have much less a roll in the movie.

Still despite my probably rather lengthy complaints, I did enjoy quite a lot of this movie. One thing was that again though the plot isn't that unique, the characters in there are and I appreciate the arcs that they go through. Actually having Finn realize being a New Order shooter isn't something he can go through getting the blood on his armor and realizing he can't fight for the dark side and at first tries just getting away but for the sake of his friend fights and proves himself a hero is great. And I also really liked Ray's arc as well. First off I like how her and Finn are just friends (maybe they'll be romantically involved in later movies but I appreciate them just being friends now) and her thing was more learning to let go of her past and desires of a live with the family that left her and moving off into the unknown. And though there was some exposisition of it at first I do like how it mostly came through in that force vision when she saw Anakin/Luke's light saber. I also like how they don't specifically say she's a Skywalker. It's kind of obviously implied (though whose the mother as kind of obvious the Star Wars movies only had one female lead in them and we know who Leia was with and who her kid was) but the fact at the end she faces off against Luke just holding the light saber without saying anything speaks more then any words could. Also like how her character is more of a gruff firm tech expert cause of her scavenging as well as showing her using the force and how she grew with it. And though it could of been better explained or focused on I do like Kylo Ren from his tantrums to him wanting to get rid of his light side to trying to tempt Ray (again the dialogue could be better but the scenes themselves were solid) to yeah him killing his father Han Solo. I have to admit though it was kind of obviously staged I did not really see them actually being killed. I knew that Harrison Ford wanted to have the character die and... yeah dying because you tried trusting in your son who betrayed and stabbed you is a pretty dark way to go. But again we saw how ball less the sacrifice of Kirk was in Into Darkness, but I guess someone told J.J and his staff not to make that mistake last time. And honestly they can't really bring back Han as since he was just an ordinary human being stabbed through the gut and falling down a giant walk way (that looks a lot like the one from Empire Strikes back. A bit overly too much like that to me but hey at least the scene was about a different sort of father and son reunion) so it wouldn't make sense even in this world plus again I think it works. As it honestly could lead to more stories about what to do with Kylo Ren and about Ray now with Chewbacca and again this should be a series about the new generation and that does mean passing the torch and that is surely a way to do it.

One thing I also like thinking about it is how the action is stage in this one. You can tell a lot more not only about them using practicial effects then the prequels did and them actually trying to scale things back. Yes they say the threat is bigger but honestly compared to the last set of Star Wars movies both sides honestly feel a lot weaker. There's still a lot of ships to ship contact but since Po Denobar isn't one of the big main characters that's scaled back and the focus is put more on the banter or about showcasing the diversity then it was before about just on the action. And honestly though no shot or bit really wowed me I don't think that was the intent and honestly it just looked well staged and executed. Like the first battle with Po trying to shoot Kylo and his beam getting halted and later Kylo using that to raze the village some more and then the fight with the Millemum Falcon (again I'm not a super Star Wars knowledger so I didn't know that was the Falcon until han and Chewie came in... yeah I know weird I complain a lot about this being like other Star Wars despite not being the most familiar with them but eh that is how I feel) on the planet, and the battle with the creatures onboard the ship that took the Falcon (though Finn was abusing his "main character shield" when we saw a bunch of creatures instant attack and chow down on the other pirate smugglers but he was just dragged away for a minute before the door was closed on it's tentacles... yeah I know nitpick nitpick but again something I was thinking) and then taking on the Storm Troopers in the alliance base (next to.. revamped Mos Eisley Tavern I guess? I do like the look of it even again obvious they were trying to go with that nostalgic SW feeling for this place) and the raid inside the enemy compound. But again it comes down to the heroes and villains being a lot more short changed and no scene does that better then Finn and then Ray vs Kylo Ren. Oddly enough it feels like each generation is kind of weaker with how the prequels had a lot more orchetstated and powerful fights then the original and the original having it more then this film. Though I think it works because it shows how both are in training and though are weaker opponents that we've seen before, it's something different that actually makes the battle feel more authenic. Seriously it does feel like Finn and Ray are going into this still unsure of how to handle a light saber and Kylo Ren's feel about being weaker then Vader does show yeah he is weaker then Vader despite his super force mind control and what not with how he angrily trashes around. Guess people who complained about how other fights in the prequel felt staged well congratulations you don't get that here. And honestly seeing Ray use the powers and manage to side step and hit Ren/Ben a few times was good. And honestly though the opponents themselves are weaker the actual battle stuff does look more gruesome. Before at worst we saw limbs get cut off but actually shoving a light saber through someone's cut or slicing their back or having the hot energy sear into them really does make an impact and honestly does work for me.

Plus yeah the comedy in this one is rather good. There are some groaners (mostly with C3P0 like when he first came out to interrupt the Han/Leia reunion and being annoyed R2 insulted him when R2 rebooted) but most of them actually do work for me: Kylo Ren slicing at the side of the wall when things aren't going his way and then later the storm troopers knowing better not to get in his line of duty when he looks steamed off, Finn desperate for water and thinking he'd be a hero for saving Ray before realizing she could take care of herself, him dragging her along when they were being fired on a few times and her annoyed by that, calling the Millemum Falcon garbage but sort of being forced to use it, BB8 having to help Finn even find the right tool to fix the ship, all of Ray's semi "techno babble" impressing Han about how she seemingly knows how to fly and use his ship better then he does, Han trying to negoatiate with one pirate group failing when the other one comes and rats him out about how he won't get out of this one (wow I just realized that was foreshadowing now thinking about it) Ray goofing up and letting the creatures go, Han and Leia sniping at one another for having to go back to what they're best at and how they can't stay away from one another (I also appreciate how they were the big romance and yeah much better handled like the originals compared to the you know what movies), Chewey being inspected by one of the female doctors, Finn getting one over on his former boss and Han wanting to put her inside a trash compactor (too bad we didn't see that though I'm guessing she'll be back in later movies as she seemed like too good a design to waste for just one flick. Plus Lupita is one of those hot new actors and what not), Ray and Finn running into one another at the enemy base after Han pointed it out, and BB8 interacting with R2D2 at the end.

So yeah the plot was disappointing honestly as it did feel like kind of rehash and some parts could of been better but it still was a solid enjoyable movie. Not on my personal top 10 but I am glad I saw it and there is potential for the next movies though hope they aren't as much retreads of the original Star Wars flicks as this one is. Seriously Disney when you bought the franchise hope you do more with it then just what worked before. There's potential there but it does need more training to be unlocked and I don't mean the kind our characters are going to go through likely in the next film.

Vegard Aune

I got two, as has pretty much always been the case in Norwegian cinemas. Batman VS Superman and Captain America: Civil War. Funny that I'd basically get two trailers for two different movies from two different studios... that are both "Our two most popular superheroes fighting each other".

Can someone post who lives and who dies in the movie.
The only major character who dies is Han Solo. Oh, and I guess some of the higher-ups in the First Order but quite frankly they left very little of an impression on me to begin with so I can't really even recall if they made it through the movie or not.
Kylo Ren presumably survived as 1: we never saw him die, 2: Not-Palpatine (Supreme Leader Snoke) said he was going to complete his training which would make no sense to have in the movie if the dude died right there and then, and 3: there is no way they'd setup a character with that much background still left unexplored and just kill him off in the first chapter of the new trilogy...
As for Snoke, he was never even present where the action was taking place so obviously he's still doing just fine and biding his time to take a more active role as the main villain in future movies.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I got 3 trailers (which I was kinda disappointed with): Zootopia, Kung Fu Panda 3, and then Captain America: Civil War.

After the first two, I was like "What am I sitting in, a kids movie?!? Show me a cool trailer!!" And then I got Captain America...was kinda hoping for the "Independence Day" one...

More thoughts to come later.

ms78

The one thing I hate about this movie is that with Han Solo dead and Luke only showing up at the end that we won't get 1 last chance to see those 2 on screen together again.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Saw it, loved it. Kinda sucks that I had to sit in almost the front row at an IMAX 3D showing thanks to the large crowd, but oh well.

To answer Peter's question, there were only two trailers before my showing (Warcraft and Ind. Day). Very refreshing. For a franchise like Star Wars, you don't want to keep your audience impatiently waiting!

Michael24

Staff member
The Force was definitely not strong with this movie. The same issue that plagued J.J. Abrams' Star Trek films plagues this one: it feels less like a legitimate installment in the franchise and more like a generic action movie with a famous brand name slapped onto it. Plus, it's essentially a remake of the 1977 original, with many plot elements from it (along with The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi) recycled practically verbatim. None of the new characters stand out as particularly memorable or capable of carrying this new trilogy, the action is glossy with X-wing/TIE fighter battles that are headache-inducing to follow, the humor and references are forced, and even John Williams' score is basically wallpaper most of the time.

I set realistic expectations for myself. I knew that no movie could ever live up to 30+ years of waiting, so I spent the last year or so avoiding all the hype and excitement, and treated this like it was just any other movie. I was still disappointed. I wanted to like it and was hoping it'd be good, but instead it was just a really expensive and merely okay fan-film.

ToonJay723

Staff member
I wonder why theaters don't all show the same trailers. I got all the ones mentioned above, except for "X-Men" and "Batman vs. Superman".

I really enjoyed this movie. I liked seeing Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford again. I also liked Finn and Rey, they have great chemistry with each other. I'm not a fan of Kylo Ren, if they gave more of a backstory on why he turned to the dark side, and why he's angry with his parents, I would have liked him more. He also came off as a immature due to his temper tantrum.

ABrown

I was fortunate that my wife let me take a break from daddy duty to go to a late showing with my step son. It was good. I didn't love it, but I did enjoy it. I really like Daisy Ridley as Rey.

Alpha Flight

Creator of the Mid-Night Detectives comic series.
I had seven trailers and I saw it in 2-D. The movie was great, however, not excellent in my opinion. There were just some minor plot holes, but than again no more than the average movie.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
I enjoyed it. I got a little emotional when the film opened, after all it's been a long time since I last saw a Star Wars movie in theaters. The cinema I was at was brand new stadium arrangement too, so that was even better.

I was a little annoyed at the similarities to A New Hope, but not enough to ruin it for me. Kylo Ren's unmasking was a little disappointing. And where in the heck did they find that lightsaber? Didn't it fall into oblivion with Luke's hand?

(I also saw the big spoiler coming. Figured it would happen.)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts