"Star Wars: Darth Vader (2020 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

"Star Wars: Darth Vader" - Rate and Discuss this Marvel comic title!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
The tragedy of Darth Vader continues...

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #1

Writer: Greg Pak
Penciler: Raffaele Ienco

In the shattering climax of The Empire Strikes Back, Darth Vader infamously reveals his true relationship to Luke Skywalker and invites his son to rule the galaxy at his side. But Luke refuses -- plunging into the abyss beneath Cloud City rather than turn to the Dark Side. We all remember Luke’s utter horror in this life-altering moment. But what about Vader? In this new epic chapter in the Darth Vader saga, the dark lord grapples with Luke’s unthinkable refusal and embarks on a bloody mission of rage-filled revenge against everything and everyone who had a hand in hiding and corrupting his only son. But even as he uncovers the secrets of Luke’s origins, Vader must face shocking new challenges from his own dark past. Writer Greg Pak and artist Raffaele Ienco unleash Darth Vader on his dark quest of vengeance and discovery!

Discuss this Star Wars title right here!

Related Discussions:

Star Wars: Darth Vader (2015) Series Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars: Darth Vader - Dark Lord of the Sith (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars (2015) Series Talkback (Spoilers)
Star Wars (2020 Ongoing) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Spider-Man

After two issues I am 100% in. I have enjoyed Pak's work in the past especially when he did the Planet Hulk arc and I was a bit worried about another Darth Vader comic especially since we don't really need one but like the new Star Wars main title this comic is really taking advantage of the new setting. Having Darth Vader team up with the Queen's Shadow is a very cool idea and I am curious to see how it will play out. Will she recognize that he's Anakin? I

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I was surprised to see the Emperor totally wreck Darth and reinact what happened to him on Mustafar then sent that dead Sith assassin from Episode IX after him - all to get him back on track with the Dark Side.

Spider-Man

That last issue was fantastic! Seeing the Emperor just take a part Vader like that and then leave him on Mustafar, so good. I was worried that Marvel publishing Vader book after Vader book would end up taking away a lot of what makes him a great character but there is still so much more potential and this book has been no exception. The art I thought was a little awkward but overall this book is a total knock-out!

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Wow, lot's of callbacks and seeding. Murdering the children, betraying the Trade Federation, continuing with Ochi from Ep. IX, and hinting at Palpatine's Snoke cloning lab.

Eye of Webbish Bog. Wordy and what a visual. And I learned it was going to appear in Ep. IX but was discarded.

It was also weirdly amusing to have a Sith assassin troll Vader for the majority of the issue.

Spider-Man

It looks like Marvel could be 3 for 3 when it comes to Darth Vader comic series! I'm really interested in learning more about Ochi and his 'assassin of the Sith' time. Especially since Ochi's blade plays a big part in The Rise of Skywalker I woneder if we'll be getting a big history lesson. Since this whole 'Sidious testing Vader' thing isn't entirely new I do like the inclusion of Ochi as that does add some real potential for surprises here, which is something we need since we know how Vader's story goes. And while this volume is still great I do wonder how long it can go, it is the third volume after all.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

That was a fun jaunt into forcing Vader to really address what he wants anymore -- does he really want to kill Obi Wan, does he really want to overthrow the Emperor and rule, why does he want his son by his side - or if he's just letting himself get strung along by the Emperor to do everything that's happened from Episode III and on.

Ho ho, didn't expect to see it end with him getting a Wayfinder from the sequel series! Guess the next issues will delve into Vader learning something about Palpatine's Contingency and/or the strandcast lab on Exegol.

Had to look up the Umbaran, and turns out they were featured in Clone Wars and did appear in the prequel trilogy.

Spider-Man

I was so surprised to see the Wayfinder too! It was a good issue but I find that not a lot happens between issues. It's not slow but just not a lot happens issue to issue. I really felt that here. Still this issue was really good and I am loving the artwork here. This definitely feels like a 'written for the trade' issue though.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

Uh, thanks? <punch> :D

lol, Ochi is a talker. Kinda Deadpool-ish. But a hilarious counterpart to Vader. The back half after the droid pirates are defeated were really entertaining. Perhaps a bit too comical for SW, but I like it.

Ho ho oh yeah. Vader is going to Exegol. And to boot that red zone barrier that Kylo Ren used in Rise of Skywalker. But holy heck, that is one big space monster.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

The monster is called a Summa-verminoth. EDIT: Oh, right! And one appeared in Solo when they left Kessel but I don't recall it being named then.

Vader is still the ace pilot, took down all those Ties like they were cheap targets.

Interesting Vader saw his past and future/RoTJ in the red.

Ho ho, took control of the Summa with that beast taming power from the Force and is descending on the Citadel on Exegol from Rise of Skywalker! Hopefully something BIG happens in #11. This pace of this comic really gives reason for the trade-waiters.'

Gonna be a brief hiatus until the next issue. April 28.

Last edited:

Spider-Man

Ho ho, took control of the Summa with that beast taming power from the Force and is descending on the Citadel on Exegol from Rise of Skywalker! Hopefully something BIG happens in #11. This pace of this comic really gives reason for the trade-waiters.
I'm really enjoying this arc but I agree with you. The pacing feels like it could be much better and I imagine this will read great as a trade although I feel like it'll be a quick read. Pak is still doing a great job and the artwork has been mostly pretty great. I gotta say I've also been enjoying these nods to ROTS.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

The monster fight was brutal but then the Emperor finishing off the Summa was nuts. Another reminder of how powerful he is.

Then the shocker he collected Luke's severed hand!

Then the big one, he had a mountain's worth of Kyber crystal stockpiled in the Exegol temple to power the Final Order fleet in the sequel trilogy and made it suffer to get the Sith power like when Sith make their lightsaber.

Wild reveals.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

This cell was owned by June Foray.

Today is officially my 19th birthday!
The birthday thread is not updated since RegularCapital's birthday. If someone wants to greet, go to that thread.
Asa
Finally started playing Mario Sunshine on Nintendo Switch after many years.

I never got to finish the whole game as a kid, so I'll be able to finish it for the first time, ever :D.
So, the new Crispy Chicken Sandwich at McDonald's is just a glorified and more expensive version of the McChicken...without mayonnaise. But wait! If you pay more for the DELUXE Crispy Chicken sandwich, you CAN get mayonnaise :rolleyes:
harry580 wrote on ShadowBlinky's profile.
hey, I like your profile pic because Horton hears a who is my favorite movie

Featured Posts