"Star vs. the Forces of Evil" Series Talkback Thread (SPOILERS)

zoombie

In the first cartoon they openly talked about death, and in the second cartoon, booty shaking, okay.

I like how they kept the continuity with the teacher being a troll, Marco has some martial arts skills, but still he can kick the villains butt, yet in the next episode he well those that seen it know what I am talking about.

These two episodes were fine, I don't know which one I like better, thankfully the mean girl wasn't to centric in the second cartoon.

I still think of all the episodes I have seen so far and as of know the first three episode, episode three are the best ones, can't wait for it to air.

ToonJay723

Staff member
These episodes were great. Wish we saw more of Tom, he seems like an interesting character. This is a step above "Monster Arm" and "The Other Exchange Student" where both plots were done to death.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I can easily say I'm just not pleased, overall. At all. This is all regarding the newest episode.

Something's just really lacking here. Or is it the fact that I've seen the mean girl and evil teacher archetypes way too much for comfort?!

We're only 3 eps. in - and so far, I'm just disappointed and annoyed, more than I am entertained when they actually do things right...

This show can so much do better than this, IMHO. Because no overly large fanbase or hyping up in general of this is going to convince me, otherwise, to keep tuning in, when this is the best they can do...

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I like how they kept the continuity with the teacher being a troll, Marco has some martial arts skills, but still he can kick the villains butt, yet in the next episode he well those that seen it know what I am talking about.

He had Star taking half of the load the first time while she was pretty distracted now.

Zanneck

I was referring to the "Monster Arms" episode in which we find out who the rival he can't beat is, I mean really?

Yeah - while Marco may look strong against our resident villain's minions (mostly because, as minions, THEY SUCK.), but with what "Monster Arms" showed us - he (Marco) just came off looking a little too pathetic to root for. And that is not a good thing for this show, unless it's really justified - like he';s going up against someone worth looking out for, not some stupid little snob who needs his face kicked in constantly.

There are ways to make a character like Marco vulnerable and make it believable - it's all about doing it well that helps out the most. What I'm saying is... I hope Marco doesn't become soem kind of butt-monkey. He's clearly better than this - and this recent episode isn't helping his case in my eyes, sadly.

Dudley

Staff member
Of the three episodes that have come out, tonight's new episode was the best one.

The first segment was the weakest because it felt aimless, probably because they filled with a lot of establishing elements, almost as if it was a second pilot. The second one had more focus.
One thing I do like about this show is that it's delightfully violent. The action is fun to watch and the animation and expressions are really well done.

I admit this show wasn't what I was expecting (and I know others feel the same), but this episode wants me to tune in for more.

blak89

Of the three episodes that have come out, tonight's new episode was the best one.

The first segment was the weakest because it felt aimless, probably because they filled with a lot of establishing elements, almost as if it was a second pilot.

It kinda is.
Some scenes / shots of the original (unaired) pilot are actually very similar to some scenes of the first segment (mostly the battle in the backyard).

ChikoritaCheezit

The Random Shipper
This does feel like a throwback to those cartoons that are not meant to have much continuity and just be slice of life hi jinks.

The first one was kind of weak. Not terrible but just weak.

The second segment however was better. It does a nice twist on the whole "School has to face their tougher rivals" cliche. Also, are we gonna ignore the face that Star

Caused one of them to be killed by falling into a vortex?

TheMisterManGuy

This does feel like a throwback to those cartoons that are not meant to have much continuity and just be slice of life hi jinks.

The first one was kind of weak. Not terrible but just weak.

The second segment however was better. It does a nice twist on the whole "School has to face their tougher rivals" cliche. Also, are we gonna ignore the face that Star

Caused one of them to be killed by falling into a vortex?

As I mentioned before, we may eventually see a larger story develop as the show progresses, similar to Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Codename: KND, MLAATTR, etc.

Zanneck

As I mentioned before, we may eventually see a larger story develop as the show progresses, similar to Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Codename: KND, MLAATTR, etc.

I sure hope so - this show and how it's set up from the beginning screams bigger story potential than just messing around in the typical high school setting. I'd like to see this show get away from that cliche trash, thank you very much.

blak89

OK, I saw the episode(s).
I thought they were very nice actually (better than the preview episode back in January).

Match Maker
This one looked more like a second pilot episode. It had a couple of establishing character moments and we even saw a bit of Tom (Star’s ex-boyfriend) and Jackie (the girl Marco has a crush on). They also mentioned (again) St. Olga Reform School, which I’m now convinced that it’s going to play a bigger role in future episodes. Ludo is your typical silly villain, but it’s surprisingly funnier than I thought. I really liked the battle scenes even though the plot itself felt a bit too predictable, but it was still enjoyable overall.

School Spirit
Now this was quite fun: a “crazy” episode, just as I wanted. An otherwise regular situation completely hijacked by Star’s powers. I had no problem with the clichéd characters (the mean cheerleader) and I loved Marco’s interactions with his two other friends. While there was no real villain here, I thought it was better than the first segment.

The show also seems to have a somehow strong continuity, but let’s just wait for a couple of more episodes to find out if they’re really planning something.

SaneMan

THIS WAS AMAZING!

This episode pretty much sky-rocketed this show right newt to Gravity Falls, as fall as pure enjoyment goes.
Seriously, this was perfect.

I really love how they took the old stereotypes that everyone hates, full advantage of it by IMMEDIATELY making them into the show's punching bags and butt-monkeys. They know we hate these kinds of characters, and thus making them suffer is a great source of purest joy.

Everything else was perfect too.
We got some foreshadowing in the first segment, with demon boy making his debut. Also love how the teacher being turned into a troll carried over to the next episode.
Speaking of which, the second segment (or episode, however you want to call it) just made for pure insane awesome. Star is just so delightfully psychotic. Loved her little flashback of her as a little girl jumping up-and down as the guardsman was teaching her how to kill.
Loved the carnage unleashed at the game, as well as Marco's paranoya throughout the whole episode, and the lengths he was willing to go to protect the mascot.
I laughed like a madman throughout the entire segment.
I haven't seen anything this good since The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy!
THIS
SHOW
IS
PERFECT!

please keep-up the good work

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Match Maker (Star Vs The Forces Of Evil)

Writers: Daron Nefcy, Dave Wasson, Jordana Arkin, Aaron Hammersley, Lane Lueras, Dave Stone (Star Vs The Forces Of Evil)

Date: March 30, 2015

width="100%"
|- style="border-bottom-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) !important; border-bottom-width: 1px !important; border-bottom-style: solid !important; box-sizing: border-box"
| style="padding: 0.2em; border-bottom-color: rgb(141, 133, 242); border-bottom-width: 3px; border-right-style: none !important; border-bottom-style: solid; box-sizing: border-box" | Synopsis: "Star fails her first test, so she tries to play match maker for their classroom teacher to get a better grade. However, she winds up turning her into a troll."

Okay, it's official. "Star Vs The Forces Of Evil" is one of my favorite Disney cartoons. This show's specialty is being an action/comedy show, which this episode shows well. There's a whole lot of over the top comedy, whether it's from Star or Miss Skullnick. It's also interesting to know that the romance part doesn't really come in until halfway through the episode, when Ms. Skullnick and a troll fall for each other. There's a lot of action when Star and Marco are fighting the monsters. We even get some nice continuity references. That ending solidified this is as a good episode.

Side Note: Queen Butterfly is voiced by Grey DeLisle Griffin.

|-

School Spirit (Star Vs The Forces Of Evil)

Writers: Nate Federman, Zeus Cervas, Aaron Hammersley (Star Vs The Forces Of Evil)

Date: March 30, 2015

Synopsis: "While Marco is distracted by protecting his friend, the new school mascot, from being kidnapped by their football rivals, a confused Star believes this to be an upcoming battlefield and starts making plans of her own."

If I made a list of underrated writers, Zeus Cervas would be on it. Sure, he's written garbage like "One Coarse Meal", but he's written gems like "Mermaidman Begins" and this episode. I said the last episode used the action/comedy aspect well. This episode uses it to the extreme. It also manages to play around with your expectations considering the football game doesn't come in until late in the episode. There's a mean girl cheerleader, but she's not here long, and she gets punished. Then we have Star. If you thought she was funny in "The Other Exchange Student", she's full blown nuts here, and it's awesome! It was funny to see her go all warrior and try to defend the team. Once her trap sets off, we get tons of action. The ending gag confirmed this as a good episode.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick Evans

I think the lesson in School Spirt is that Star will take anything you Say too literally and if you leave her alone too long chaos and mayhem will ensue, that being said great episode. My favorite line was when Star said "Oh no everything is going according to plan."

Another thing I have to say is about Marco and Jackie. Even though Marco has a crush on Jackie I suspect that won't stop the fans form have Star and Marco as the favorite pairing.

SaneMan

btw, I think we should get an new thread for discussion the episodes themselves

I just realized this thread is supposed to be spoiler-free

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
btw, I think we should get an new thread for discussion the episodes themselves

I just realized this thread is supposed to be spoiler-free

New thread created for the series now that it has premiered. I picked a pretty arbitrary point to start the thread, but it'll have to do.

WickedChild

Kissing the shadows
This is the first show I've watched purely because of the appeal of the intro (which I gather was also the case for many attenders of Comicon), and it didn't disappoint. I realized in the second half, during the chaotic action part, this show almost has a kind of Superjail vibe to it (minus the R-rated gore, of course). Like SJ, those scenes are clearly when the show and this crew are at their best - making mayhem happen in fun/creative ways.

I was really worried at first because I thought Star herself was gonna be super-annoying, but she grows on you quick. My fear was that this was gonna be Johnny Test for girls, as it turns out it's more like Sailor Moon for boys - on crack. The key to long-term success here is gonna be how well they take advantage of the endless potential of fantasy settings/situations they've set up for themselves - in the first 4 episodes, 3 were centered around the High School and only 1 had a more fantastical setting. Ideally they should try to get that ratio closer to 50/50 to avoid becoming boring.

I really wonder how far they can push things in this show, it is Y7 after all but it had some dodgy moments for sure. Seems like standards on violence have become pretty relaxed. I kinda worry about that one scene in the second episode where Star was hanging from power lines outside of Marco's room asking if he had any flammable liquids. Seems like the kind of thing some dumb kid might try to imitate, and then we all know what happens - tragedy, then lawsuits, then show cancelled, then overreactionary broadcast standards, etc.

Zanneck

The key to long-term success here is gonna be how well they take advantage of the endless potential of fantasy settings/situations they've set up for themselves - in the first 4 episodes, 3 were centered around the High School and only 1 had a more fantastical setting. Ideally they should try to get that ratio closer to 50/50 to avoid becoming boring.

I really wonder how far they can push things in this show, it is Y7 after all but it had some dodgy moments for sure. Seems like standards on violence have become pretty relaxed. I kinda worry about that one scene in the second episode where Star was hanging from power lines outside of Marco's room asking if he had any flammable liquids. Seems like the kind of thing some dumb kid might try to imitate, and then we all know what happens - tragedy, then lawsuits, then show cancelled, then overreactionary broadcast standards, etc.

1) I'm hoping for the same. That high school setting is so stifling, despite all the awesome violence and entertaining chaos on display, IMHO...

2) That seems to always happen to the good cartoons, doesn't it???

King_of_doom

kiva fan
I have seen the episodes but haven't commented on them.

The first episode pretty much was the same as the pilot which probably wasn't necessary but still enjoyable. The 2nd episode now that was different and had a nice plot to it where Star was thinking that her school's rivals are warriors so she put traps and go all brave heart. I did like that it had a subplot with Marco where he tries to save the team's mascot.

This was far better 2 episodes than what he had awhile which sadly they are going to show them again since it was on demand or something(can't remember)

Agree with blak89 that the possible St. Olga Reform School will happen which we can say it will happen at the end of Season 1 and makes you wonder if this will change the plot of the story since i bet that the ones running the Reform School or Star's parents will know about her escape and try to bring her back unless there's a plot twist which i hope it will come to that and not make their "escape from reform school and the next episode is back to normal".

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.
The time when Gunther spoke Dutch in Friends.

Featured Posts