"Star vs. the Forces of Evil" Series Talkback Thread (SPOILERS)

Latest News & Videos

Korra_Fan

May 25, 2012
Late thoughts: the finale was bad, could've been good if it had more time and trimmed some fat.

The show's crew clearly knew what they were building to this season, but flubbed the execution.

Oh Damn. Yeah that's gonna leave a HUGE mark. Pretty much EVERYTHING he's worked on has been STELLAR
Agreed. And him only working from the start of S2 all the way to TBFM explains a lot.

This. That was a huge revelation and I expected the show to provide more nuances that either justified or debunked it, but welp, it never did.
Really? I figured the audience was supposed to already get the reason why that happened, since we saw in Season 3 that Shashtacan ordered baby Meteora's kidnapping and swappng with baby Festivia, and that he personally handed baby Meteora over to St. Olga while calling her "heinous".

If I was a monsterous father, I'd eat the jerk for that too.

Last edited:

doomrider7

That One Guy
Apr 10, 2017
New Milford, NJ
Late thoughts: the finale was bad, could've been good if it had more time and trimmed some fat.

The show's crew clearly knew what they were building to this season, but flubbed the execution.

Agreed. And him only working from the start of S2 all the way to TBFM explains a lot.

Really? I figured the audience was supposed to already get the reason why that happened, since we saw in Season 3 that Shashtacan ordered baby Meteora's kidnapping and swappng with baby Festivia, and that he personally handed baby Meteora over to St. Olga while calling her "heinous".

It was explained, but the book adds some more nuance to it in that he initially didn't care much for marrying Eclipsa and simply saw it as an obligation, but in time from spending time with her he did in fact grow to love her. Not to mention the stuff about the dance and the painting from the Spiderbites episode giving off vibes that Shastacan wasn't the first person he ate or at least killed. They setup a lot of story beats, but never really took them anywhere.

Another thing I've been thinking about with regards to my previous comment about the MHC and the whole prejudice thing and villains and why it bothers me is that they don't feel threatening like at all and feel way to caricature in a non-serious way. I mean Mina was a introduced as a pitiful Sailor Moon knockoff for goodness sake. Compare in my previous post to some of the same beats in say One Piece where the discriminitative characters even when weak are played for all of the ugliness in a way that's not funny in ANY capacity and is also terrifying since the odds of stopping them is low due to their power. We had already seen the MHC and Mina get jobbed HARD before so as threatening as they were, they just didn't have that kind of sheer force of presence.

I'm really bad at expressing my thoughts in writing so I can only hope that at least SOME of what I wrote makes any kind of sense as to what I'm trying to say.

Reactions: Cartoonfan13

Radical Buster

Well-Known Hack Fraud
Feb 3, 2018
under your bed

The reason is pretty clear, but the way he retaliated isn't exactly the most morally justifiable action.

Last edited:

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
It was explained, but the book adds some more nuance to it in that he initially didn't care much for marrying Eclipsa and simply saw it as an obligation, but in time from spending time with her he did in fact grow to love her. Not to mention the stuff about the dance and the painting from the Spiderbites episode giving off vibes that Shastacan wasn't the first person he ate or at least killed. They setup a lot of story beats, but never really took them anywhere.

Another thing I've been thinking about with regards to my previous comment about the MHC and the whole prejudice thing and villains and why it bothers me is that they don't feel threatening like at all and feel way to caricature in a non-serious way. I mean Mina was a introduced as a pitiful Sailor Moon knockoff for goodness sake. Compare in my previous post to some of the same beats in say One Piece where the discriminitative characters even when weak are played for all of the ugliness in a way that's not funny in ANY capacity and is also terrifying since the odds of stopping them is low due to their power. We had already seen the MHC and Mina get jobbed HARD before so as threatening as they were, they just didn't have that kind of sheer force of presence.

I'm really bad at expressing my thoughts in writing so I can only hope that at least SOME of what I wrote makes any kind of sense as to what I'm trying to say.
Turning the MHC from heroes into "villains" was just bad. I know Meteora being separated from her mother wasn't right, but upping their antagonism into prejudice was going too far. Omnitraxus actually tried getting Festivia to make peace with the monsters, so him being part of a conspiracy against Eclipsa because of her love of monsters was a complete turnaround.
Their actions about trapping Eclipsa and Globgor and replacing Meteora was actually pretty justifiable considering that Globgor had such a reputation(especially the eating mewmans part) and Eclipsa's reign came right after Solaria's, in which a war is being fought against monsters, so you can't expect either side to be accepting of the other. Plus in "On the Job" monsters like Buff Frog was proud to be evil, so suddenly making it look like none of the monsters are evil was another turnaround (they could've had where monsters realized that evil wasn't for them instead). Though they should've froze Meteora with her mother instead of handing her over to St. Olga or letting Shastican hand her over since "Butterfly Trap" and "Skooled" showed two different scenarios of Meteora being switched.
Eclipsa creating so many dark and dangerous spells didn't help her either. Especially since it lead to the magic realm being corrupted again.

Mina, after her first episode, it felt like she was gonna get a focus on her and Star being "mud-sisters" again sometime, eventually, in a future episode. But she ended up being another part of the prejudice against monsters plot. Her backstory was good though, but we did not need another brute antagonist since Miss Heinous was a disappointment of a villain in the previous season.

True, but Globgor DID used to eat Mewmans before he went vegan for Eclipsa's sake. If there was any emotional reason for him to relapse to his old ways, it would be the kidnapping of his child.
But with the way Shastican's death was handled in Surviving the Spider Bites, it practically screamed for a flashback episode.

DeanBurrito25

Jan 15, 2009
mattdeanart.com
I finally binged all of season 4 of Star Vs over the weekend, ending with the series finale tonight.

And I feel conflicted.

Okay, so this show has had a bit of rocky progression from the start. Halfway through its run, it seems like it turned into a completely different show. Not sure if it's this past decade's trend of goofy shows becoming more melodramatic over time, though I'm sure that played a role. Backpedalling in this thread and I learned that a lot of the staff who started out on Star moved on halfway through the series, and it really shows. It seems like so many story arcs and villains were dropped like flies seldom to be mentioned again (Toffee anyone? The headmaster voiced by Jessica Walter?). Star and Marco literally left Earth/Echo Creek behind to focus solely on Mewni and other dimensional adventures. The Eclipsa plot was the best thing the last few seasons had going for it, but I'm not sure if it was worth wading through all the junk to see through to the end. The Starco love triangle stuff kind of muddled things up as well, to the point where it didn't feel earned and I was just primarily indifferent towards it all.

I think one of the biggest things the show lost was its early season energy and insanity. Even the transition to a newer animation style played a role in downplaying that...ironically, switching to frame by frame animation made the show feel blander compared to its original tweened animation courtesy of Mercury Filmworks. I know that studio already has plenty on its plate, but it just goes to show that hand drawn does not necessarily mean it's automatically better by comparison. At least Flash/tween animation often has the advantage of being more in-house driven and hands-on as far as animation goes (Cartoon Network's Mao Mao as a stellar example of this!)

Now...on to the positives. I think the decision to do away with all magic in Mewni was a bold choice considering it cut a fair number of the Mewni cast (unfortunately not Ponyhead). That also means no more weird spells from Star or Moon. I just wish it had more of an impact on me personally because it only went so far. I think I agree that having both dimensions combined opens more problems, but it doesn't seem like those will ever be addressed again, so it's whatever. Also...at least Ludo had something that resembled a completed character arc, more or less

There's a lot to like about Star Vs. Its unique art style and direction, its concept, its creativity, and, as mentioned already, its madcap energy early on in its run. It's not one of my favorite shows of the decade, but I appreciate what it contributed to Disney's Television Animation unit. However, it was ultimately plagued by a lot of tonal and story shifts that made for a bit of a sloppy conclusion. Didn't help that I felt like I lost track numerous times every time I would hop in to binge on the latest batch of episodes, to the point where I didn't care nearly as much as I should have.

Well, at least we still have the DuckTales reboot.

Radical Buster

Well-Known Hack Fraud
Feb 3, 2018
under your bed
Mina, after her first episode, it felt like she was gonna get a focus on her and Star being "mud-sisters" again sometime, eventually, in a future episode. But she ended up being another part of the prejudice against monsters plot.
I honestly thought she was gonna be redeemed since her "villainy" is just a product of Solaria's indoctrination. Hell, it would've actually made more sense if she was, given that Solaria has accepted what's become of Eclipsa towards the end of "Cleaved", thus nullifying the Solarian Warriors' purpose.
Her backstory was good though, but we did not need another brute antagonist since Miss Heinous was a disappointment of a villain in the previous season.
At least Mina had a consistent objective up until the end, and didn't become a mindless monster that only sought to wreak havoc for no good reason like Meteora did in "Conquer".
Hmmm... Maybe? The problem now is, what's the driving impetus. Like where do you go from there?
They could explore the aftermath of Earth being cleaved together with Mewni. Sure they could've done that in the actual finale, but I think it'd be interesting to expand upon some of the consequences if the series was to get a continuation in some form (TV movie, comics, mini season, etc). Maybe this time, humans could be the forces of evil.

Reactions: Cartoonfan13

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The teaser is good. The comments saying "Release The Snyder Cut" are not.
Is the concept of good scheduling just dead at this point, I'm looking at PlutoTv and most of the time they just got the same show on repeat.
As someone who just got into Usagi Yojimbo, I am so hyped for the cartoon.
Saw the Descendants short Audrey's Royal Return. I will not miss this franchise. That was a disaster.
I'd tell Pumpkin Spice to go back where he came from but I'm not sure he'd still fit in the bottom of an outhouse.