"Star vs. the Forces of Evil" Series Talkback Thread (SPOILERS)

Latest News & Videos

RainbowCupcake

The (Not So) Bad Guy
Dec 3, 2017
United States
Well, I am in the same boat as @Light Lucario (I haven’t watched the series since late 2017), so forgive me for being a little blind here. However, because this show used to be one that I kept up with regularly, I decided to check out the series finale out of pure curiosity. Although I was obviously confused, I could understand what was going on for the most part. And...yeah. It didn’t really feel like a series finale imo. Like @Radical Buster mentioned, it felt very “unfinished.” The worlds coming together at the end could have been cool if there was some continuation or aftermath in a fifth season, but instead, we just see freaked out humans running around screaming as the world as they know it changes forever. That was a little unsettling to me.

Another thing I noticed was that it seemed like Mina was defeated pretty easily. Yeah, after the Whispering Spell, she came back to Mewni to yell at everyone that her good ideas would “stick around like a bad fart,” but before that, she was drowned by the unicorn and...that’s it. That was pretty much her triumphant defeat. As Moon stated, “Well...that takes care of Mina.” I apologize for not getting my facts straight; the last time I remember seeing Mina on the show, she was this weird, completely random warrior character that Star really admired, but by sifting through this thread and watching the finale, I see that I guess she became this big villain? Is that true? If so, this seemed like a sort of lame defeat, like it was almost too easy to take her down. I get that destroying the magic was a HUGE part of this episode, but still, if defeating your main antagonist is that easy...I don’t know. I felt like it could have been more satisfying.

It was cool seeing cameos of older characters, but I wish they would have gotten a little more spotlight since this is the very last time we’ll be seeing them. I liked the way Regular Show and Adventure Time handled their series finales in that they showed a montage of all the characters and how they lived out their lives after whatever happened in the finale. Maybe it’d be cliche if every series finale did this, and maybe these characters already got a good ending in previous episodes, but a little more closure to this last episode I think would have given it the proper “series finale” feel.

So, did Star and Marco ever become a couple? I know a lot of the fanbase was rooting for that but did it ever happen? I’ve never been a fan of shipping, and I believed that making them a romantic couple would be the "easy way out" in the storyline. It kind of appears that they are a couple, but since they didn’t kiss at the end like I full out expected them to, I’m not really sure. Is Star still with Tom? I couldn’t tell if their relationship was more of a romantic one or just a mutual friendship.

Also, Pony Head is still a jerk. Glad that hasn’t changed since I left. :rolleyes:

So, those are my oblivious thoughts on the series finale. Before I end this post, I would like to share a little about my experience with the show.

Ever since the show was greenlit in March of 2013, I was excited about it. When the beginning of 2015 finally arrived, I plopped down on my futon and eagerly watched the live premiere on Disney Channel, even recording my reaction. I thought the first two episodes were solid and I knew that the show would be one that I would keep up with. In September of the same year, the first season finale aired. I was blown away by the level of storytelling the episode had. Toffee was such an intriguing and mysterious villain, and I couldn’t wait to see what would happen to him in season two (I had a sneaking suspicion he hadn’t actually died, which turned out to be technically true). I also wondered what had happened to Star’s old wand, and what secrets the new wand held. Well...season two sort of answered my questions, but not right away, so I was a bit disappointed. There was a lot of filler (and BAD filler, may I mention); the worst episode I remember watching was “Goblin Dogs.” While I loved seeing Jerry Trainor as a guest star, the writing was SO all over the place that I just could NOT understand what the writers were thinking as they were producing this one (then again, it has been a while since I’ve seen it, so my opinion could be different now if I rewatched the episode). However, season two did have some really good episodes as well, like “Spider With A Top Hat,” “Into the Wand,” and “Running With Scissors.” I thought the season two finale was solid, and the season three opener was REALLY good. Then...I don’t know what happened, really. I kept watching the series, but I just wasn’t into it anymore. I felt like the story was taking a while to unravel and wasn’t heading in a clear direction. “Stump Day” was where I stopped, and the only episode I’ve seen after it was the series finale (duh). Still, I can’t believe that the show has been on for over four years, and I wished that I would have enjoyed it more than I did.

Goodbye, Star vs. the Forces of Evil. I won’t miss you too awfully much, as you had a good run. Besides, your exit is only going to make way for new shows like Amphibia and The Owl House. Hopefully, those shows can learn from this show’s mistakes and be even better.

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
Cleaved

Well I am going to be honest this finale was very under whelming to me, it didn't me the closure I wanted, it feels like we are missing a couple of final scenes.

It was a fine episode, we had some nice little moments here, like after Star and Marco jump into the portal, Eclipsa reaction was cute. Star passing by Ludo at the very end, and Janna able to turn off her pulse, Janna is going out like Janna.

Mina was defeated rather easily, she had everything at hand the end of last week, and in 5 minutes she loses.

So Star destroys all the magic, she has help with Marco, Moon, and Eclipsa, and all the queens, and looks like Queen Solana had regrets late in her life or in the after life. I guess thousands is enough time to reflect on your actions and how it effects people.

The magic is destroyed, and over looked but Star effectively killed a bunch of characters, Glossaryck, the High Magic Commission obviously, but also all the spells, Spider with the Top Hat, Doop Doop, and all the others are dead, that is depressing, Star committed genocide. In hind sight, the show should never have done those spell focus episodes if this is the end game.

So looks like Star and Marco are going to be part, but the twist is Earth and mewni are merged. So the monster / mewni relationship are never solved and now had humans to it, only going to make things more complicated. But I am excited that Medeora and Mariposa are going to get a chance to grow up together.

I wish we got a time skip for the finale scene, maybe go to the date of Star and Marco's wedding, or Medeora and Mariposa first day of school together.

Oh well, while the ending wasn't great, still was a good show, so I am going to miss it. Thank you for a great 4 years.

StellaMagic

Nov 18, 2006
Virginia
Cleaved

Well I am going to be honest this finale was very under whelming to me, it didn't me the closure I wanted, it feels like we are missing a couple of final scenes.

It was a fine episode, we had some nice little moments here, like after Star and Marco jump into the portal, Eclipsa reaction was cute. Star passing by Ludo at the very end, and Janna able to turn off her pulse, Janna is going out like Janna.

Mina was defeated rather easily, she had everything at hand the end of last week, and in 5 minutes she loses.

So Star destroys all the magic, she has help with Marco, Moon, and Eclipsa, and all the queens, and looks like Queen Solana had regrets late in her life or in the after life. I guess thousands is enough time to reflect on your actions and how it effects people.

The magic is destroyed, and over looked but Star effectively killed a bunch of characters, Glossaryck, the High Magic Commission obviously, but also all the spells, Spider with the Top Hat, Doop Doop, and all the others are dead, that is depressing, Star committed genocide. In hind sight, the show should never have done those spell focus episodes if this is the end game.

So looks like Star and Marco are going to be part, but the twist is Earth and mewni are merged. So the monster / mewni relationship are never solved and now had humans to it, only going to make things more complicated. But I am excited that Medeora and Mariposa are going to get a chance to grow up together.

I wish we got a time skip for the finale scene, maybe go to the date of Star and Marco's wedding, or Medeora and Mariposa first day of school together.

Oh well, while the ending wasn't great, still was a good show, so I am going to miss it. Thank you for a great 4 years.
On the bright side, the mewmans who now see Mina as a nut saw where her hate went and learned to let go. Just ask the mother who said, "I'm not so hate-filled anymore." As for the ending, it's opened to new adventures for Marco and Star, meaning their time together will never end, and the mewmans will get a new perspective on Earth like Star did. Who knows? Maybe Daron will do a comic series following their adventures after the finale or a movie, or even a Disney+ web series.

zoombie

Jan 23, 2007
New York
On the bright side, the mewmans who now see Mina as a nut saw where her hate went and learned to let go. Just ask the mother who said, "I'm not so hate-filled anymore."
You are right, though she does have one follower, the former royal attendant. And now we are on Earth, maybe people like Brittany and Jeremy might agree with her ideas.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Well that was kinda underwhelming, with magic getting destroyed. and seeing the dead queens again you think there would be more emotional punch to it but it kinda feels hollow
I thought it was touching how Eclipsa's mother seemed to be more accepting of her half monster granddaughter, but it was a quick moment.

I don't know you guys, but I believe this can't be the REAL ending for the series. I mean, something like merging two dimensions into one opens too many doors.
That's exactly what bothered me about it. Considering that how they were already trying to improve mewni/monster relationships for the past couple of seasons, throwing in humans into the mix with their worlds merged together definitely would have benefited from some aftermath or an extended epilogue.

Calling it genocide might be a bit much. I know that there were living creatures made of magic in this series, but she wasn't attempting to kill them. She wanted to destroy magic because Mina was too powerful for them to stop. I don't know how fitting that is as a way for them to end the series since I'm not as familiar with how those spell focus episodes worked, but genocide might not be the accurate way to describe it.

Reactions: Gatordragon

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
New York
I haven't commented during this season, but since the finale aired it's a good time to talk about it.

I thought this finale season was good. A lot more hiccups than season three, but still good. I liked how the first two-thirds focuses on Star helping Eclipsa becoming a better queen and the last third is Star and Marco getting reacquainted on Earth and then the finale battle with the Solarians afterwards.

I think the ending with Earth and Mewni being merged is suppose to be left open ended, like Zuko asking where his mom was (although they made a comic explaining that anyway), so maybe this show will get a comic too showing how well Earth and Mewni are getting along somewhere down the line.

I glad we got a fourth season, rather than the alternative of Nefcy asking for one more episode to wrap up everything if the show wasn't renewed for a fourth season. I can't even imagine how that would have turned out.

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Elizabeth,NJ
Cleaved: A once great show, ending in total garbage. The final episode should've at least been an hour long, but even then, the idea of destroying all the magic feels like Star is just choosing the easiest path on dealing with a problem. What gives Star the right to destroy an entire realm? Yeah Mina was a threat, but no so much as she was taken down by the dark millhorse quite easily. Since the spirit of Solaria was there, Star could've gotten answers from her on how to de-power the Solarian warriors. Heck, Star could've taken her own advice from Swim Suit and learn to de-power them one step at a time like Eclipsa undoing her spells on Rhombulus since the Solarian spell is a multi-step spell. But nope Star decides to kill off every magical creature instead of finding a better solution. As far as I'm concerned, she's even worse than Thanos.
The Earth and Mewni dimensions thing was very stupid as well since it forces two delicate ecosystems to merge just to keep two people together as the universe revolves around them.
For all we know, the humans would respond to the monsters with a nuclear strike.
I think I'm just gonna pretend the series ended with the Battle for Mewni special.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I do find it odd that the show didn't get an hour long finale given that some other Disney shows like Gravity Falls and Sofia The First had finales that were (with commercials) at least an hour long. Though The Roundtable thinks there could be a tv movie.
An hour long finale definitely would have been better. There could have been some time to showcase more of the aftermath of the two worlds coming together. I feel like there's more than enough for them to cover a fifth season of the show with this setup in mind, but a TV movie would be much more plausible by comparison at this point.

SourSweetGone

Simultaneously Too Old &Too Young For The Internet
Mar 31, 2017
US
I honestly lost interest in star about half way through season 3. I think it is a genuinely good show overall, but I feel it tried to set-up way to many things in its lore that it just didn't get to properly touch upon by the time the finale came. And while I haven't watched set finale yet everything i've heard is that the series still has a lot of questions unanswered compared to say Adventure Time or Gravity Fall's finales.

Hopefully the series will get some sort of epilogue TV movie or something like that down the line.

But overall for what it was Star VS was a decent original series that was a nice mix of comedy, fantasy, magical girl and later on drama as well I suppose. But yes it arguably probably could've used a 5th seasons to flesh things out a bit more, but for what it was it was still nice.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
1. Another thing I noticed was that it seemed like Mina was defeated pretty easily. Yeah, after the Whispering Spell, she came back to Mewni to yell at everyone that her good ideas would “stick around like a bad fart,” but before that, she was drowned by the unicorn and...that’s it. That was pretty much her triumphant defeat. As Moon stated, “Well...that takes care of Mina.” I apologize for not getting my facts straight; the last time I remember seeing Mina on the show, she was this weird, completely random warrior character that Star really admired, but by sifting through this thread and watching the finale, I see that I guess she became this big villain? Is that true? If so, this seemed like a sort of lame defeat, like it was almost too easy to take her down. I get that destroying the magic was a HUGE part of this episode, but still, if defeating your main antagonist is that easy...I don’t know. I felt like it could have been more satisfying.

2. So, did Star and Marco ever become a couple? I know a lot of the fanbase was rooting for that but did it ever happen? I’ve never been a fan of shipping, and I believed that making them a romantic couple would be the "easy way out" in the storyline. It kind of appears that they are a couple, but since they didn’t kiss at the end like I full out expected them to, I’m not really sure. Is Star still with Tom? I couldn’t tell if their relationship was more of a romantic one or just a mutual friendship.

3. Also, Pony Head is still a jerk. Glad that hasn’t changed since I left. :rolleyes:
1. She pretty much became a genocidal dictator in order to give the power back to Mewman's, all because of Moon's stupid action from the May 12, 2019 episodes.

2. Star and Marco did hook up as a couple in the aforementioned episodes on May 12, sealing it with a kiss. While still cringeworthy, it's at least with mutual consensus, unlike season 3's "Booth Buddies", where the episode's antagonist forced them to do so.

3. Yep, she never developed at all, even in her own focus episodes.

Even if you watched all the remaining episodes, the road to the series finale would still be extremely bumpy.

Reactions: RainbowCupcake

Radical Buster

Well-Known Hack Fraud
Feb 3, 2018
under your bed
The best thing Ponyhead did this season is kinda sorta helped boost Eclipsa's popularity amongst Mewmans, and even then she did it in the most annoying way possible.
Yeah , I was kind of going for funny with that comment :p. I heard someone compare Star's actions to Thanos and it just fits.
They're not wrong.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why did SDCC have to happen during the same weekend as Vinesauce Is Hope?
With how widespread the Joy-Con analog drift issue is, I'm honestly surprised I haven't had that issue yet. I've had my console for almost two years.
Is Nick doing anything for SDCC
I hope Trevor Devall is in the PPG 2016 reboot.