"Star Trek" Television Series News & Discussion

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,307 19
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
General thread for the TV shows in development, rumors, and the like until an official PR is released then they get their own thread.

Alex Kurtzman signed a 5 year deal to supervise more TV shows in development. At least 5.

1. The first is from the showrunners Marvel's Runaways, Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz, and will take place at Starfleet Academy.

2. - 3. Two other projects that are 'mini-series'.

4. The fourth is supposedly based around the iconic Wrath of Khan story.

5. There is an animated series in the works.

Picard might appear in one of them but it's listed as a 'reboot'.

Current Series

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,755 7
Framingham, MA
Did they learn nothing from Voyager? Star Trek is NOT a franchise like Marvel or DC Comics you can oversaturate the market with. Its appeal is MUCH narrower and more limited. This is going to end as badly as Universal Pictures' Dark Universe. General audiences aren't as into Star Trek as I am. That's why there should only be one project at a time.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
2,987 5 1
the point of no return
Did they learn nothing from Voyager? Star Trek is NOT a franchise like Marvel or DC Comics you can oversaturate the market with. Its appeal is MUCH narrower and more limited. This is going to end as badly as Universal Pictures' Dark Universe. General audiences aren't as into Star Trek as I am. That's why there should only be one project at a time.
I don't think Voyager was that bad of a show. It was just poorly written in spots, on top of the Star Trek reptitive storytelling. I think Paramount has been mulling a Star Fleet Academy series since TNG and the DS9 episode 'Valiant'. I've asked Greg Weisman if he would be interested in a Star Trek animated series of some sort, his response was (I paraphrase) he's not gonna work on it for free.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,755 7
Framingham, MA
I don't think Voyager was that bad of a show. It was just poorly written in spots, on top of the Star Trek reptitive storytelling. I think Paramount has been mulling a Star Fleet Academy series since TNG and the DS9 episode 'Valiant'. I've asked Greg Weisman if he would be interested in a Star Trek animated series of some sort, his response was (I paraphrase) he's not gonna work on it for free.

What I meant by using Voyager as an example is that Paramount had two Star Trek series on the air at once and oversaturated the market. Viewers lost interest and the franchise died out for a few years. There were other factors (such as Enterprise's quality being so inferior to the previous series) but it is very clear Star Trek is NOT the franchise that can sustain multiple shows at once.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
2,987 5 1
the point of no return
What I meant by using Voyager as an example is that Paramount had two Star Trek series on the air at once and oversaturated the market. Viewers lost interest and the franchise died out for a few years. There were other factors (such as Enterprise's quality being so inferior to the previous series) but it is very clear Star Trek is NOT the franchise that can sustain multiple shows at once.
Oh I see. Well, even Lucasfilm is reconsidering their Spinoffs. These studios are getting blatantly greedy.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,755 7
Framingham, MA
Oh I see. Well, even Lucasfilm is reconsidering their Spinoffs. These studios are getting blatantly greedy.

Star Wars is another franchise that cannot sustain a ton of different projects, especially at once. But Star Wars is still broadly popular with the general public, and has a built in large audience. Star Trek's fans are far too niche and few to try and build a shared universe for.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
Ratings
2,987 5 1
the point of no return
Well, I like the idea of the miniseries. As of right now I'd be interested in the Starfleet Academy and please give us an original animated series with an alien Captain of a starship. I actually had this idea about 15 years ago, complete with designs.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
137 13
Ohio
With National Amusements and CBS suing each other over the proposed merger of NA's media companies I have a serious doubt that Nick would land the animated series.

Cartoon Network Studios would be a better, litigation-free partner for the cartoon. CBS co-owns The CW with one AT&T subsidiary and co-broadcasts March Madness with another. So, CN is a natural fit for Star Trek, especially since they lost the Star Wars cartoon rights to Disney XD.

The cartoon should use the OS characters and be set in the Kelvin universe.

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
May 1, 2001
Ratings
Ohio
Visit site
At STLV, Patrick Stewart announces he'll be back as Picard, and possibly no longer a captain 20 years post-Nemesis. Kurtzman referenced this being the next Trek series.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,307 19
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
11,307 19
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
CBS All Access ordered an animated comedy from Mike McMahan of Rick & Morty fame. It is "Star Trek: Lower Decks" and will follow the support crew of one of Starfleet’s less important starships with comedic effect. See thread in Gen. Animation.

CBS filed trademarks for several titles, hinting at the next series since Lower Decks is among them: Revolution, Starfleet Academy, Destiny, Reliant, Ceti Alpha V, and Lower Decks.