"Star Trek: Lower Decks" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Second Contact"

Promising.

That trailer for the show made fans nuts and fear the worst. It seemed way too much like Rick and Morty. I don't know how other Star Trek fans feel, but I think Rick and Morty sucks. The characters there are horrible people whose horribleness is validated as the correct perspective. So you don't want that in your Star Trek. But what I got from the trailer instead was a vibe closer to Final Space, which is actually a decent sci-fi comedy. And yes, it's more like Final Space. I don't expect it to contain Final Space's surprise pathos (which is a shame) but the philosophies of the characters are not outside of Star Trek or immoral.

Let's talk about the Star Trek stuff. The titles are in the Next Generation font, which is like the nerdiest thing ever. I also noticed that Klingons are going to look like Klingons. Either the Paramount likeness trademark issues don't effect the show because it's a cartoon, or with Viacom and CBS merging again, they are no longer issues. I'm pretty sure it's the second thing. That likeness thing was pretty strict as far as I can recall.

Bleeps instead of TV-MA swears. I am on-board this idea completely. Star Trek has gotten far too raunchy. I would prefer no raunchy language at all, but they could probably show this cartoon on television because of the bleeps.

I knew Mariner was the captain's daughter immediately. I wonder who the show thought it was kidding by trying to play it off as a surprise.

The female Orion officer's pheromones are not mentioned, which was a major controversial plot turn in Star Trek: Enterprise. While I hated the idea, I hope they'll have an explanation instead of ignoring it outright. Maybe female Orions have to have those glands extracted before they are allowed to join Starfleet? A little clarification would be nice.

My biggest complaint, and you might agree, is that the dialogue is too "modern". One of the things Star Trek took great pains to do is not have the characters speak in trendy mallspeak, because it doesn't make sense that four hundred years in the future people would be using the same lingo as us. WE don't even say the same things we said ten years ago. "Whaddup?" and "That's what I'm talking about!" have been around a little longer, but it's not credible for them to have survived 400 years.

I also suspect many purists will also be enraged one of the characters digs the "classical" group The Monkees. But you know what? That was one of my biggest beefs with Star Trek to begin with. They never listened to or enjoyed music that sounded good or played Holodeck programs that were actually fun. It was done to show how measured and evolved humanity has become, but I don't agree with Gene Roddenberry that a sense of humor, fun, or an actual personality is a character flaw. For a Trekkie, I talk a LOT of smack about The Next Generation and The Original Series, because I found many of the messages during Roddenberry's tenure abhorrent. Roddenberry had good intentions, but he didn't actually understand people or how they worked. Kids grieving for their dead parents made Roddenberry unhappy and uncomfortable, so his solution was to say that kids don't do that 400 years in the future. It's amazing that arguably The Next Generation's biggest contribution to the mythos is making a psychologist a bridge officer. Roddenberry actually did no research whatsoever on what healthy psychology truly entailed if "The Bonding" is any indication.

So no, I don't object to characters humming "I'm A Believer" instead of playing classic musical instruments in Ten Forward. I never bought that bit, and I didn't think the characters were better or more evolved that I was because they did that. I thought they were more boring than I was, and I thought the idea that Janeway and here crew's idea of a fun Holodeck program was a simulated old fashion Irish village told me that this is NOT a future worth looking forward to. Say what you will about today's politics and climate, I have Breaking Bad and The Wire up in my streaming queue to watch soon. Star Trek's idea of edgy fiction is Dixon Hill. And I think society is better off now while that is true.

So no, I don't object to Star Trek characters having fun, goofing off, or enjoying fun things. It bothers me to have to clarify this because until the Abrams reboot and all of the Kurtzman stuff (good and bad) after that, this is still a fresh idea in this franchise. I hope other Star Trek fans will someday get it in their head that Gene Roddenberry was just one man. I don't believe how a great society should function in the future should be decided by one man, especially one who clearly doesn't understand very well how people really work. It is okay to go outside of the Roddenberry mindset for Star Trek. And I am happy when a show like this and Star Trek: Picard does that. I'm not saying this is a great Star Trek show, or even a great show in general. What I am saying is that this specific future is not cold and distant, and something that part of me wants no part of. And whether the jokes are dumb, or the show is too gory, it doesn't matter. As far as Star Trek goes, THAT should be the important thing. And this show is doing it right in a way few of the earlier shows did. ****.

Last edited:

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
May 28, 2014
It seemed way too much like Rick and Morty. I don't know how other Star Trek fans feel, but I think Rick and Morty sucks. The characters there are horrible people whose horribleness is validated as the correct perspective. So you don't want that in your Star Trek. But what I got from the trailer instead was a vibe closer to Final Space, which is actually a decent sci-fi comedy. And yes, it's more like Final Space. I don't expect it to contain Final Space's surprise pathos (which is a shame) but the philosophies of the characters are not outside of Star Trek or immoral.
Trailer is one thing, the actual episode triggered more Rick & Morty influences than Final Space which makes sense given who developed this show. Bolded in particular came up so frequently to where it just felt too weird.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
I like it, but if they were going to bleep the curses, they could have put this on Comedy Central. No use putting a censored show on a streaming service. Streaming was designed to curb censorship.

Reactions: TheVileOne

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
I don't know the Admiral's name, so Mariner and Capt. Freeman don't share names. But unless her name has been changed, how can people not know that Mariner is the Admiral's daughter? I think the story would work better if she's the openly underachieving daughter of Starfleet royalty.

I found the comedy rather forced. A lot of the jokes just either fell flat or trying too hard to be funny and just not being funny. Mariner I just don't find funny. I think my main issue with her character is she's like this goofy party girl but she's also secretly good at everything. She's constantly bragging about being good at everything, and she really is good at everything. I'd prefer if she was more of a slacker and screwup but did pick up a few things being the daughter of top hotshot Starfleet officers.

A lot of it reminded me of Star Wars Detours.

Boimler is sort of like too nerdy. I'd never want to see him become a captain of a vessel at this point. He'd get everyone killed.

The cyborg cat who screwed up his date by focusing on an elevator malfunction I thought was kind of dumb. I guess they wanted to subvert our expectations by his cyborg implant not screwing up the date but his own sort of technical nerdiness being a turnoff. But again, just didn't find it funny.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Second Contact"

Promising.

That trailer for the show made fans nuts and fear the worst. It seemed way too much like Rick and Morty. I don't know how other Star Trek fans feel, but I think Rick and Morty sucks. The characters there are horrible people whose horribleness is validated as the correct perspective. So you don't want that in your Star Trek. But what I got from the trailer instead was a vibe closer to Final Space, which is actually a decent sci-fi comedy. And yes, it's more like Final Space. I don't expect it to contain Final Space's surprise pathos (which is a shame) but the philosophies of the characters are not outside of Star Trek or immoral.

Let's talk about the Star Trek stuff. The titles are in the Next Generation font, which is like the nerdiest thing ever. I also noticed that Klingons are going to look like Klingons. Either the Paramount likeness trademark issues don't effect the show because it's a cartoon, or with Viacom and CBS merging again, they are no longer issues. I'm pretty sure it's the second thing. That likeness thing was pretty strict as far as I can recall.

Bleeps instead of TV-MA swears. I am on-board this idea completely. Star Trek has gotten far too raunchy. I would prefer no raunchy language at all, but they could probably show this cartoon on television because of the bleeps.

I knew Mariner was the captain's daughter immediately. I wonder who the show thought it was kidding by trying to play it off as a surprise.

The female Orion officer's pheromones are not mentioned, which was a major controversial plot turn in Star Trek: Enterprise. While I hated the idea, I hope they'll have an explanation instead of ignoring it outright. Maybe female Orions have to have those glands extracted before they are allowed to join Starfleet? A little clarification would be nice.

My biggest complaint, and you might agree, is that the dialogue is too "modern". One of the things Star Trek took great pains to do is not have the characters speak in trendy mallspeak, because it doesn't make sense that four hundred years in the future people would be using the same lingo as us. WE don't even say the same things we said ten years ago. "Whaddup?" and "That's what I'm talking about!" have been around a little longer, but it's not credible for them to have survived 400 years.

I also suspect many purists will also be enraged one of the characters digs the "classical" group The Monkees. But you know what? That was one of my biggest beefs with Star Trek to begin with. They never listened to or enjoyed music that sounded good or played Holodeck programs that were actually fun. It was done to show how measured and evolved humanity has become, but I don't agree with Gene Roddenberry that a sense of humor, fun, or an actual personality is a character flaw. For a Trekkie, I talk a LOT of smack about The Next Generation and The Original Series, because I found many of the messages during Roddenberry's tenure abhorrent. Roddenberry had good intentions, but he didn't actually understand people or how they worked. Kids grieving for their dead parents made Roddenberry unhappy and uncomfortable, so his solution was to say that kids don't do that 400 years in the future. It's amazing that arguably The Next Generation's biggest contribution to the mythos is making a psychologist a bridge officer. Roddenberry actually did no research whatsoever on what healthy psychology truly entailed if "The Bonding" is any indication.

So no, I don't object to characters humming "I'm A Believer" instead of playing classic musical instruments in Ten Forward. I never bought that bit, and I didn't think the characters were better or more evolved that I was because they did that. I thought they were more boring than I was, and I thought the idea that Janeway and here crew's idea of a fun Holodeck program was a simulated old fashion Irish village told me that this is NOT a future worth looking forward to. Say what you will about today's politics and climate, I have Breaking Bad and The Wire up in my streaming queue to watch soon. Star Trek's idea of edgy fiction is Dixon Hill. And I think society is better off now while that is true.

So no, I don't object to Star Trek characters having fun, goofing off, or enjoying fun things. It bothers me to have to clarify this because until the Abrams reboot and all of the Kurtzman stuff (good and bad) after that, this is still a fresh idea in this franchise. I hope other Star Trek fans will someday get it in their head that Gene Roddenberry was just one man. I don't believe how a great society should function in the future should be decided by one man, especially one who clearly doesn't understand very well how people really work. It is okay to go outside of the Roddenberry mindset for Star Trek. And I am happy when a show like this and Star Trek: Picard does that. I'm not saying this is a great Star Trek show, or even a great show in general. What I am saying is that this specific future is not cold and distant, and something that part of me wants no part of. And whether the jokes are dumb, or the show is too gory, it doesn't matter. As far as Star Trek goes, THAT should be the important thing. And this show is doing it right in a way few of the earlier shows did. ****.
Great review as always.

I think you are right about TNG being really sterile sometimes, but I think that is due to Picard being kinda a snob and a stuffed shirt and trying to influence Data. Riker liked jazz and Sisko liked baseball, so not everyone is a high culture snob in the future. But yeah, having these Ensigns like pop culture rather than high culture stuff from the 20th century was interesting.

Frankly, I like that Tendi is cute rather then hypersexual and I think that stuff about Orion women from Enterprise should just be ignored. I think alien characters defying stereotypes from their culture is always good in Star Trek.

I guess Star Fleet has nepotism, oh well, that is hardly the worst thing a Star Fleet admiral has done. I wonder if Mariner has ADHD, we have seen some people not quite fit in with Star Fleet in the past, like with Reg Barclay, so not everyone is some super perfect officer right off the bat.

It was kinda interesting to see some of Star Trek's ''bumpy forehead'' aliens in animation and to see some truly alien creatures and beings in this show.

So far I think this show is alright, but I am curious if it will get better throughout the season.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Envoys"

It's only the second episode but I can safely say I am now a big fan. I am totally sold on this show and I love it.

There were a couple of really interesting jokes in the episode that I'm gonna bring up now because I am not sure if other Star Trek fans will really recognize the reason behind them, or why they are funny and cool. But when the Cyborg guys quits engineering and then security, his commanding officers appear ready to read him the riot act for his disloyalty. Instead, in both instances they congratulate him on going on to bigger and better things. I am not sure exactly how many Star Trek fans recognized that for what it was. I imagine some people will mistake it for a random Family Guy style twist joke. That's not it.

One of the most irresistible parts of Star Trek, and the reason it was my favorite franchise during the Deep Space Nine era, is that the characters do not have reactions to things you'd expect. Yes, they are unrealistic for those reactions, but I've always REALLY dug how when faced with something that might tick me off, the characters react in the most positive and diplomatic way possible instead. They are better than me which is something I greatly admire. Those two jokes were not the random undercutting of cliches typically seen on animated adult comedies. They were a satire about how awesome everyone in Star Trek actually is to each other. And if this show IS a loose parody of Star Trek, that is absolutely the 100% right thing to have fun with. What's especially refreshing to me is they aren't making fun of the characters for that. Neither the Chief Engineer or Security Chief are made to look like fools simply because they are nice, and want what's best for their crew. That is 100% Star Trek, and it's 100% good-natured, and it caused me to fall in love with the show instantly. And I'm not sure how many people will recognize that for the loving Star Trek homage it was. I have a feeling some people might cynically believe it's a trope subversion as seen on Rick and Morty, and other shows like that. But the truth is Star Trek routinely subverted every trope there was, and those moments were just pointing that out.

I like that the Ferengi is helping Mariner. Deep Space Nine gave that alien race a ton of nuance, and showed there are good and bad Ferengi everywhere. It feels right that the dumb ensign believes he's right because the Ferengi fits into his preconceived prejudices. But Mariner is secretly right because she actually know those prejudices are bunk.

It is so refreshing to see friendly Klingons again. Hopefully with the likeness rights worked out, they can show up in Star Trek: Picard in season two. I missed them very much. My favorite friendly Klingons have a real aversion to most humans and humanoid aliens but there is always one like Mariner who gets them and shows them that humans and / or Starfleet aren't all bad. That was usually Picard and Dax's roles and it's interesting it's Mariner's too. Although she seems to have built up quite a few alliances besides just him.

I like that Mariner captures the energy entity at the beginning and forces it to do stuff for her. The reason the crews on the earlier show fared so poorly against those things is because they didn't know what they were dealing with. Instead Mariner gets the upper hand immediately which shows she is one of the most useful Starfleet officers I've ever seen.

I'm very happy with this show. This show is another reason not to take internet criticism of a show, especially one sight unseen seriously. I can figure out whether or not a show sucks on my own. This show is actually great and the haters don't know what they're missing. *****.

Reactions: MegasMilo379

Mostezli

May 28, 2014
This show is another reason not to take internet criticism of a show, especially one sight unseen seriously.
You said it best.
The characters there are horrible people whose horribleness is validated as the correct perspective.
So you don't want that in your Star Trek.
Beckett's antics continue to the second episode even if they're not as "horrible" as the first episode.
Sam's "horrible"-ness is also inconsequential. Brad is ironically ignorant/oblivious. That's the joke.
Character & plot-wise, It's been a trite deconstruction/satire/parody/etc. A dime a dozen animated adult sitcom, but it just so happens to have Trek references.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
"Envoys" - I mentioned it briefly when talking about Infinity Train season 3 so I'll mention it here; though I like the idea of Mariner and Brad's friendship it does feel awfully one sided in how so far nothing he's really done or said has really had any value to it. And it was so obvious that the bit with the Ferrangi was planned on Mariner's end just to make him feel better about himself which shows she's nice but... that doesn't make such an interesting dynamic. Even in the first couple of episodes of Rick and Morty we saw how foolish or incorrect or wrong Rick was and even if Morty didn't react to it was made clear that in that dynamic Rick didn't have all the answers but that doesn't seem to be the case with this show. Eh this is still the second episode so it's clear things could change plus honestly mabe that will make it mean something more when Brad realizes he has to more generally step up and not just assume to have to set up but that will have to be down the line. That said this IMHO is more the kind of show that was promised then the first episode: the crew either engaging in more off brand parts about where they want to be placed or just more standard adventures you wouldn't really see in the other series due to focusing on the ensigns who have to drive this important leader figure somewhere and loose him. Which yeah is the kind of plot not seen in other Star Trek that in this more goofy take on the franchise still feels like it could happen so I appreciate that. And I do like the joke about Tendi pointing out they could just watch the movie while doing activities so Rutherford didn't really even need to try switching jobs at all or Brad's annoyed reaction and Mariner and the Klingon captain bonding and later them just dumping him off when they got the ship back. I do agree this show isn't as bad as some people make it out but it's still not quite grabbing me so far but it's decent and certainly something I'll still watch. I admit I'm more casual on Star Trek then someone like say Fone Bone is so I probably have a different view on what works and what doesn't but eh everyone's different experiences in life shaping their opinions makes them different and worth considering right? Cause I sure think that.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
I knew that Ferengi encounter was going to be a ruse that Mariner orchestrated to boost Boimler's confidence. How are they even still in Starfleet after losing K'orin?

Once again, I find Mariner and Boimler to be completely unlikable. Mariner is a space-wise genius who knows everyone and everything. She knows what to do, and you should just listen to her all the time to get out of every problem.

I can't stand Boimler at this point. He's completely useless and can't do anything on his own. Even the Ferengi victory was a ruse just so Mariner would make him feel better. How the hell is this schmuck officer material? He's not. He's not officer material. He's not promotion material. He's not command material. He's not captain material. He's a complete and utter wreck. He's a clod. He can't do anything himself. He should never be an officer, and he should never be promoted ever.

Not to mention, after the mission is over, he spills everything to the crew in the bar to make himself look good and prop himself up, even though he said that was a secret he wouldn't talk about. So we know he's not trustworthy. Even though his glory seeking in the bar was all fake too because Mariner allowed it to happen. She set it all up.

Why should I like Boimler and root for him again? Should I take pity on him? He is pathetic, but I don't pity him. I have no interest in seeing this guy climb the ladder. He's not reliable. He's not likable. He doesn't have his act together, and he's not fit to ever lead anybody into space.

I'm not going to call Mariner a Mary Sue because that's lazy. I think my problem with Mariner is that she has this party girl personality but she's actually good at everything and is constantly bragging about being good at everything and knowing everything. I guess her only flaw, if she has one, is that she's not motivated to command or to move up the ladder. She's not ambitious. But I still don't really like her. A better payoff would've been if they were genuinely in trouble at the end, and none of Boimler's space smarts were going to save them, and Boimler was actually capable of SOMETHING redeeming that would've made him at least show a fraction of competence. Nope. That at least would've shown that they're a good team that can even each other out, hence why Kirk always used Spock and Bones because they complimented each other and evened each other out.

Thus far, Boimler is completely irredeemable and has no reason for why I should like him and root for him. He's pathetic and whiny. I couldn't even feel sorry for him when he started crying like a baby. Going to work on some sort of mining colony would likely be a better fit for him because the actual idea of him taking command of a starship is disgusting.

Frankly, I don't even get why Mariner is bothering with Boimler. The only theory I can come up with is since Mariner is so ambitious, she wants her own stool pigeon or toadie to move up command to protect her so she's free to do whatever she wants and be a space badass who won't implicate her and will let her get away with whatever she wants because they are indebted to her for her helping them. Either that or Mariner is secretly attracted and in love with Boimler, which makes less sense since he doesn't seem like her type. But the former makes her even more unlikable.

Once again, I don't think I laughed once during this whole episode.

Reactions: Freddy
Feb 22, 2017
Ok. Saw "Second Contact," last night. I liked some of it, and didn't like other parts. In the previews of future episodes, I thought I caught a glimpse of an Edoan, a tripod like creature that appeared as Arex in the seventies animated series. What do you think?

Another reference: In the beginning there's an alien that has a breathing device that reminded me of a species that appeared in the Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Did anyone else catch it? Maybe I'm wrong.

Loved the theme music and some of the visuals. Liked the main characters. The main heroine I really enjoyed, I liked her bouncy optimism. A change from recent Star Trek series. What I didn't like was the disrobing scenes and the bad language. Star Trek doesn't need it. It doesn't. We don't need Star Trek to become like other current animated science fiction series. We don't need more Rick and Morty cartoons. Star Trek should be better than that.

--james

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
Ok. Saw "Second Contact," last night. I liked some of it, and didn't like other parts. In the previews of future episodes, I thought I caught a glimpse of an Edoan, a tripod like creature that appeared as Arex in the seventies animated series. What do you think?

Another reference: In the beginning there's an alien that has a breathing device that reminded me of a species that appeared in the Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Did anyone else catch it? Maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, that was a Benzite. They've appeared on The Next Generation.

Reactions: Orangesilentplanet

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
I totally forgot about the Benzite
I recently started rewatching The Next Generation, and there was a Benzite ensign who heavily figured in that episode where Riker did that officer exchange program and served as an officer on a Klingon vessel. That's why it stuck out to me. The show is heavily leaning toward the TNG era/aesthetic.

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Star Trek: Lower Decks "Temporal Edict"

I am a bit concerned.

I very much liked that myself, but I see trouble ahead for the series. I predict this series is going to be widely hated and an episode like this is the first thing they will point to for the reason why. It's NOT in the spirit of Gene Roddenberry's message at all, and the characters are despicable. Speaking for me? That's why the show has value. That's why it's interesting.

As far as Gene Roddenberry's futuristic / humanistic message goes, with the exception of Deep Space Nine and the Ferengi, we have only heard one side of it: The side that suggests that Gene Roddenberry's ideas are perfect and right. This series is showing the downside to many of those ideas, and pointing out logical faults that would happen if real, unspectacular people had to arbitrarily live by these rules. I firmly believe that a great deal, (if not most) of Gene Roddenberry's ideas for how to perfect humanity are ill-advised at best. This show is playing Devil's Advocate against some of those ideas, and suggesting either ways to fix the holes in some of the ideas, or simply choose different ideas. And Star Trek is my oldest fandom. But out of any fandom, Trekkies refuse to second-guess the philosophy of their show the most. I think Star Wars kind of sucks, but I will give its fandom the proper credit for fans debating whether or not the Jedi were actually good guys, and if the Dark Side of the Force might not actually be superior to the Light Side, morally speaking. I love those debates. And I love that Star Wars fans don't accept everything that Lucas SAYS is great, as automatically great. They come to their own conclusions.

Roddenberry adherents however refuse to even THINK that there might be a problem with some of these ideas, which frankly disturbs me. I find people unwilling to accept a version of Star Trek Gene wouldn't have approved of as borderline cultish. I've said it before, the future of humanity and what is good for it, is not something that SHOULD be decided by one man. It would be one thing if Gene were merely stating the rules of his fictional Universe. But Gene always operated under the assumption that Star Trek was not only possible, but actually likely. The reason the cult of Roddenberry makes me uneasy is they take that message seriously. The Force isn't real, so Star Wars fans are allowed to be detached from Lucas' various nonsense ideas. Roddenberry insisting that his version of the future is possible is something that makes a LOT of fans resistant to anyone challenging that message.

If you hate this show, get used to this opinion in my reviews: Challenging an assumption by the viewers, especially if done so in a perfectly reasonable manner, is a GOOD thing. This show is destined to be widely hated and talked about as the biggest example of Star Trek's modern decline. I don't agree with that assessment. Because it's the only Star Trek show that is asking the right questions. Picard does a LITTLE bit of this, but Jean-Luc Picard is SUCH an amazing person that even if the show raises questions about what the best answer for humanity is, the answer is always gonna be Jean-Luc's faith in humanity. This show asks the questions without an amazing person in sight to make us feel better about asking them. That's brave and cool. And this show will be detested for it.

But not by me. But this episode concerned me because I see a LOT of grief being thrown at this series. A lot of Trekkies have defended polarizing Trek before (both Enterprise and Discovery have their fans) but I don't see anyone coming to this specific show's rescue. I just want to state for the record that I like it. For all the reasons other people hate it. ****.

Last edited:

Mostezli

May 28, 2014
That was a boring episode. Kirk wannabe got the most engagement out of me, even though he was part of the b-plot.
Hopefully not every other episode devolves to a contrived resolution to an onboard invasion.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
The only way I will agree with censoring profanity in original streaming programs is if an uncensored version is also made available. So Lower Decks needs to make uncensored versions available for those who don't like censorship.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
If anything, I see a lot of reviewers softballing Lower Decks. Based on the ones I've read.

The only way I will agree with censoring profanity in original streaming programs is if an uncensored version is also made available. So Lower Decks needs to make uncensored versions available for those who don't like censorship.
Maybe it will be the home video version like Venture Bros.

But yeah I agree, considering they would flagrantly drop the F-bomb on Picard just to show they can do it. But I think it's largely due to the age rating and still wanting to get the teen audience even, though plenty of teens probably talk and curse like sailors.

Kevin Mo

orangemo
Damn it. Nohomers is down so I can't copy and paste my reviews from here.

Second Contact

Decent start. I think this episode was all over the place with way too many plots, but it's only a pilot, so you really can't expect much. The virus story was pretty good and there were some funny moments, like when Boimler switches the deck to the warpcore, but I just think the pacing was poor for the most part.

3/5

Envoys

I enjoyed both stories quite a bit. Mariner proves that she's looking after Boimler by boosting his ego and it's nice seeing Rutherford explore other areas of the ship. The ending is pretty heartwarming and I like this episode more than when I reviewed it on youtube last week. The comedy was decent but it's the writing of this one that makes it good.

4/5

Temporal Edict

I think it was good to see Mariner not be on top for one. She does learn that she's not always right and that's why she's an Ensign. She's knowledgeable but she lacks some maturity to take full lead. And Boimler proves he's not all that useless after all. I honestly think the captain was lame in this episode though because she should know better than to force people to work their ass off with zero break. Common sense in the workplace that productivity is lowered the longer people work. Glad they all learned at the end. The battle scenes were pretty good as well.

3.5/5

This show does have a lot of promise so far. I enjoy how down-to-earth this show is, something we need more in adult animation (I'm looking at you Crossing Swords).

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember when Ben Bates criticized the animation of the recent Marvel cartoons when he talked about his Captain Marvel cartoon that wasn't picked up? Well, here's a drawing he did of Hawkeye.

The winner of this matchup is "Luna Eclipsed", which got 2 votes. "New Haunts" got 1 vote. The next category is A Forest Adventure. We're comparing the Harvey Beaks episode "Le Corn Maze Of Doom" to the Sofia The First episode "Too Cute To Spook".

Seriously, whoever at Netflix thinks it's a good idea to cancel the actually GOOD shows, yet renew Big Mouth until the end of time, should be fired.
Asa
Reminder: The Miraculous New York special premieres this Friday (I thought Disney Channel France was going to get it first before the US did. My guess is the English dub of the special is complete which could be the reason it's premiering this coming Friday).
The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance (a prequel series to the movie The Dark Crystal) has been cancelled after one season. I haven't seen the show or the movie, but I think fans won't be happy with this.