Star Trek: Enterprise "Awakening" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this episode of Star Trek Enterprise (Awakening)

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • ***1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• I fell asleep.

• Total voters

sun

You stay, I go
I am a long time Trekkie.

The last dozen stories over this season, and last have been the best Trek since Next Generation, (must admit, couldn't get into Deep Space 9) The writing, the action, the over all flow, reminds me of some of the best Trek. The story of Vulcans and Archer getting the Katra, is a direct flow from the movie, Wrath of Kahn, (the end, where McCoy gets Spocks Katra) It took them a long time to get it together, but that was also true of Next Generation. The stories didn't really shine till season 3. Unfortunately, I don't think we will get another season of Enterprise, unless the ratings really go up......and that really makes me sad:sweat: Stuart....ps. can't wait till the end of this three parter..should be great with the Andorians...

Temple Fugate

Funny how everyone's mentioning how TNG, DS9 and Enterprise found their footing between seasons three and four...if TOS didn't find its footing until the end of season three, none of us would be watching Enterprise right now. ;)

Rockin' episode. I can't believe they've been in space so long. Hearing Trip say "two years ago" actually made me raise my eyebrows and go "Holy crap, Enterprise has three years of continuity already!"

I like what they did with T'Pol's mom. Establishing her in "Home" was just enough of a stepstool to get us to care about her and understand her history and relationship with T'Pol. Her death scene could have gone better, IMO, but for what it's worth, we got a little emotion out of it. And for Vulcans, that's saying something.

Trip is very take-charge lately. Didn't he used to be pretty awkward being in command? I suppose season three changed everybody, but still...

THOSE BLINKING LIGHTS WITH THEIR BLINKING AND FLASHING AND BLINKING! MAKE IT STOP!

Archer led them to a door that was very obviously a vault of some kind...didn't anyone try breaking into it before? Even if they didn't know what was in there, don't you think someone would try to find out?

A couple writing problems, mostly of the "well, duh!" variety. (ex: Soval telling Trip the High Command is going to attack the Syranite camp in The Forge, and Trip says "Where the Captain and T'Pol are headed." WELL, DUH!)

We're looking at the best season of Enterprise yet. I'm going to go one step further than everyone else by not just saying I hope we get another season, but also I hope they can keep this kind of quality going. Because if they can't, what's the point of having another season?

Star Trek: Enterprise 4x08: "Awakening" - ****

To Be Continued...

sun

You stay, I go
Dig at the gov. in the first or second ep of this triology?

There was a scene, where Archer or the Vulcan Ambassador, stands in front of several rows of coffins of the killed members of the embassay....I do not remember the dialogue, but that is evident that the real Star Trek has returned..In the first or second season of the Original Star Trek, there was a ep about the Yangs and the Kongs, which was an allusion to the Viet Nam War.. here again we see allusion to current events, the discussion of phographing cofffins....Yep, this is Star Trek at its best,,,Can't wait to see tonites ep...Stuart:)

Temple Fugate

oldtoonguy said:
There was a scene, where Archer or the Vulcan Ambassador, stands in front of several rows of coffins of the killed members of the embassay....I do not remember the dialogue, but that is evident that the real Star Trek has returned..

Makes you wonder how upset those coffins got during the firefight. Lots of loose corpses in the cargo bay. :evil:

SilverKnight said:
The show is getting cancelled at the end of Season 4. Period. This show shouldn't have had a Season 4; the only reason they allowed it was for the purpose of having enough eps to go into syndicated runs. No amount of actual decent-to-good storytelling can make up for three years of fanbase-alienating dreck that passed for good storytelling. Too little, too late.

I can't believe that. If all UPN wanted was enough eps for syndication they would have pulled a SCI-FI and ordered only up to the minimum amount required (which I think is still 88). Although it IS a bad sign that they only ordered 22 this time, keep in mind most live, hour-long TV series have 22-episode seasons. The 26-episode season is no longer the norm, as it was back in TNG days, and UPN is just trying to save a little bit of money, yet give Enterprise the chance (which it now deserves) to regain fans.

raykremer

SilverKnight said:
Enterprise just came out of the gate sucking, and so continued the trend and shooed away the diehards that kept Trek chugging through the decades.
When Enterprise started up, I thought "Hey, Trek is good again", which was kinda odd since Enterprise and Voyager actually share the "exploration with no Starfleet/Federation infrastructure to support them" shtick. Maybe just because Enterprise had more of a sense of wonder to it while Voyager rotted in overuse of Seven and the Doctor. But hey, what do I know, I like "Faith of the Heart" too.

there's no way this show will last beyond a season 4, unless it gets phenominal ratings before the season ends. Which, as we've already said, isn't going to happen.
I suppose. Heh, it's still one year longer than TOS got.

Temple Fugate said:
most live, hour-long TV series have 22-episode seasons. The 26-episode season is no longer the norm, as it was back in TNG days
Yeah, sucks, don't it?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Temple Fugate said:
Makes you wonder how upset those coffins got during the firefight. Lots of loose corpses in the cargo bay. :evil:

I can't believe that. If all UPN wanted was enough eps for syndication they would have pulled a SCI-FI and ordered only up to the minimum amount required (which I think is still 88). Although it IS a bad sign that they only ordered 22 this time, keep in mind most live, hour-long TV series have 22-episode seasons. The 26-episode season is no longer the norm, as it was back in TNG days, and UPN is just trying to save a little bit of money, yet give Enterprise the chance (which it now deserves) to regain fans.
Actually the magic number for most syndicated shows is 100. So 26 episodes in Seasons 1-3 and only 22 this year leads me to put two and two together (or in this case 78 and 22.)

Squall

Calm Before The Storm
It would be very foolish for UPN to cancel Enterprise now, just as the show is getting good, and giving the fans what they asked for in the first place. And I agree with the sentiment that the other modern Star Trek series didn't get really interesting until the fourth season, when they finally found their footing:

TNG -- first 3 seasons were spotty, but season 4 had the Borg invasion of the Federation and the development of the Federation-Romulan Cold War with the Klingons caught in the middle.

DS9 -- first 3 seasons were boring, but then the Dominion invaded the Alpha Quadrant, and the rest of the series was amazing, with a "World War II" type environment as half the galaxy erupted in total war. Federation, Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi, Cardassians, Breen, Dominion... all were involved before the guns were finally silenced.

Voyager -- first 3 seasons were horrible, but then Voyager enters Borg space, encounters Species 8472 and the Hirogen, and finally starts making contact with the Federation.

'Enterprise' -- first 3 seasons were horrible, but then... ! :)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I disagree with all of those sentiments.:D

Squall said:
It would be very foolish for UPN to cancel Enterprise now, just as the show is getting good, and giving the fans what they asked for in the first place. And I agree with the sentiment that the other modern Star Trek series didn't get really interesting until the fourth season, when they finally found their footing:
No it wouldn't make sense for UPN to suddenly start appreciating Enterprise because it's good now. They answer to the advertisers not the fans. If Enterprise is losing money they are well within their rights to cancel it. It's not their fault Berman and Braga were showrunners for the first three years.
TNG -- first 3 seasons were spotty, but season 4 had the Borg invasion of the Federation and the development of the Federation-Romulan Cold War with the Klingons caught in the middle.
Season Three of TNG had some of the series best episodes ever. Yesterday's Enterprise is a CLASSIC much loved episode. Deja Q, Sins of the Father, The Offspring, and Sarek were also awesome episodes. There wasn't really a bad episode in the whole season. And The Best of Both Worlds isn't only the greatest cliffhanger in Star Trek history, it is the greatest cliffhanger in television history.
DS9 -- first 3 seasons were boring, but then the Dominion invaded the Alpha Quadrant, and the rest of the series was amazing, with a "World War II" type environment as half the galaxy erupted in total war. Federation, Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi, Cardassians, Breen, Dominion... all were involved before the guns were finally silenced.
Boring? I was FASCINATED with DS9 ever since Season One's Duet when the series stopped trying to ape TNG and and focused on the politics of the Bajorans and the Cardassions. The later episodes would not have been NEARLY as rich had important scenarios not been set up in The Homecoming, The Circle, The Seige, Invasive Procedures, Rules of Aquisition, The Maquis 1 and 2, Blood Oath, Crossover, and The Jem'Hadar. As for season three that is when DS9 REALLY took off with the watershed The Search, The exciting Defiant, The cool time travel Past Tense 2 parter, The insanely cool Phrophet Motive which connected the Bajoran Prophets to Ferengi Grand Nagus Zek, Through the Looking Glass, the ominous season finale The Adversary, and one of the greatest Star Trek two parters ever and one of Garak's highlights Improbable Cause and The Die is Cast. Boring indeed.
Voyager -- first 3 seasons were horrible, but then Voyager enters Borg space, encounters Species 8472 and the Hirogen, and finally starts making contact with the Federation.
I disagree. Voyager NEVER got better.
'Enterprise' -- first 3 seasons were horrible, but then... ! :)
I guess we can agree on something.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkAngel

Lord Vader
Fone Bone said:
Boring? I was FASCINATED with DS9 ever since Season One's Duet when the series stopped trying to ape TNG and and focused on the politics of the Bajorans and the Cardassions. The later episodes would not have been NEARLY as rich had important scenarios not been set up in The Homecoming, The Circle, The Seige, Invasive Procedures, Rules of Aquisition, The Maquis 1 and 2, Blood Oath, Crossover, and The Jem'Hadar. As for season three that is when DS9 REALLY took off with the watershed The Search, The exciting Defiant, The cool time travel Past Tense 2 parter, The insanely cool Phrophet Motive which connected the Bajoran Prophets to Ferengi Grand Nagus Zek, Through the Looking Glass, the ominous season finale The Adversary, and one of the greatest Star Trek two parters ever and one of Garak's highlights Improbable Cause and The Die is Cast. Boring indeed. I disagree.
Yeah, exactly. DS9 was far from boring during its first three years with a lot of great episodes.

SirLemming

a playa in a world of NPCs
DS9 lost my interest in the first 3 seasons. I'll probably appreciate them more now, on DVD, being older (I was bored by the premiere originally, but when I watched it last year I thought it was amazing). But season 4 was when it became THE BEST TV SHOW EVER.

Temple Fugate

Fone Bone said:
Actually the magic number for most syndicated shows is 100. So 26 episodes in Seasons 1-3 and only 22 this year leads me to put two and two together (or in this case 78 and 22.)
AH-HA! Not true. 26 first season + 26 second season + 24 third season + 22 fourth season = 98. If they wanted 100, UPN should have ordered another 24.

Just doing my best to deny the whole cancellation thing.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Temple Fugate said:
AH-HA! Not true. 26 first season + 26 second season + 24 third season + 22 fourth season = 98. If they wanted 100, UPN should have ordered another 24.

Just doing my best to deny the whole cancellation thing.
Hey, things are looking up! Maybe we'll have a two episode fifth season!:D

Squall

Calm Before The Storm
Fone Bone said:
I disagree with all of those sentiments.:D
Feel free to disagree, but I never said that important stories didn't have their foundations set in the early years of DS9. It's just that the show didn't get really interesting, or exciting, until the payoffs in the later seasons. ;)

I think everyone's being pessimistic about "Enterprise" being cancelled. TNG was in danger of being cancelled in its 2nd year; both DS9 and Voyager were in danger of being cancelled in their 3rd years. All three series responded to their slumps in positive ways, which got them all to the now famous 7 year mark.

So, it seems that history is once again repeating itself. "Enterprise" was in danger of being cancelled after its 3rd year; so, this year, the writers have pulled out all the stops, seeing that they've got nothing to lose. And, just like on TNG, DS9, and Voyager, "Enterprise" has now found its footing. I think that it, too, will make it to the 7 year mark. :)

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Squall said:
Feel free to disagree, but I never said that important stories didn't have their foundations set in the early years of DS9. It's just that the show didn't get really interesting, or exciting, until the payoffs in the later seasons. ;)
I enjoyed the groundwork stories when they first aired. The Wire was hellacool.
I think everyone's being pessimistic about "Enterprise" being cancelled. TNG was in danger of being cancelled in its 2nd year; both DS9 and Voyager were in danger of being cancelled in their 3rd years. All three series responded to their slumps in positive ways, which got them all to the now famous 7 year mark.

So, it seems that history is once again repeating itself. "Enterprise" was in danger of being cancelled after its 3rd year; so, this year, the writers have pulled out all the stops, seeing that they've got nothing to lose. And, just like on TNG, DS9, and Voyager, "Enterprise" has now found its footing. I think that it, too, will make it to the 7 year mark. :)
DS9 and Voyager were never in any danger of being cancelled. Not really. They just had ratings dips. They never really recovered but their ratings were still good enough to keep them on the air. Enterprise's ratings are the lowest in Star Trek's 35 year history.

Temple Fugate

Don't know if I should be trusing anything that shows up on TV Tome, but "Kir'Shara" apparently won its timeslot Friday. Hopefully this is a good sign that word is getting to old Trekkies/Trekkers who left the show that the series has picked up in quality.

Squall

Calm Before The Storm
Temple Fugate said:
Don't know if I should be trusing anything that shows up on TV Tome, but "Kir'Shara" apparently won its timeslot Friday. Hopefully this is a good sign that word is getting to old Trekkies/Trekkers who left the show that the series has picked up in quality.
I won't spoil anything, but three upcoming episodes -- "Babel One", "United", and especially "Affliction", are going to light up not just the Star Trek message boards, but all the sci-fi message boards like a Christmas tree. :p These three episodes may end up being to "Enterprise" what "The Best of Both Worlds" was to TNG, "Call To Arms" was to DS9, and "Scorpion" was to Voyager...

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Squall said:
I won't spoil anything, but three upcoming episodes -- "Babel One", "United", and especially "Affliction", are going to light up not just the Star Trek message boards, but all the sci-fi message boards like a Christmas tree. :p These three episodes may end up being to "Enterprise" what "The Best of Both Worlds" was to TNG, "Call To Arms" was to DS9, and "Scorpion" was to Voyager...
You didn't hear that from Startrek.com did you? Because they said Voyager's Fury was gonna be one of the greatest Star Trek episodes ever.

Squall

Calm Before The Storm
Fone Bone said:
You didn't hear that from Startrek.com did you? Because they said Voyager's Fury was gonna be one of the greatest Star Trek episodes ever.
Well, click at your own risk, since you don't like spoilers, but go to http://www.trekweb.com/ for details... Let's just say, the foreshadowing of TOS, and even a little TNG, is about to kick into overdrive. :D

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts