"Star Trek: Discovery" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This is a bad idea. Don't ask me why I think that, I just do. Maybe if the show were more consistent in its continuity it wouldn't be, but while it is playing things so fast and loose, a firmer timeline that's already been established will be disastrous. I am unhappy about this.
Well, yes. I mean, it's like you're a season 3 show. Focus on your own canon instead of the overall franchise's canon, right?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Well, yes. I mean, it's like you're a season 3 show. Focus on your own canon instead of the overall franchise's canon, right?
There are so many ways this can go wrong. I would not be courting this controversy if I were them. The entire selling point of the show was supposed to be that it explored an era of Star Trek we hadn't seen before. This is the baddest of bad ideas.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
There are so many ways this can go wrong. I would not be courting this controversy if I were them. The entire selling point of the show was supposed to be that it explored an era of Star Trek we hadn't seen before. This is the baddest of bad ideas.
So do you favor more series of this sort of fill in gap series like Discovery or more sequel stories set in new eras like this Picard one?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
So do you favor more series of this sort of fill in gap series like Discovery or more sequel stories set in new eras like this Picard one?
Sequels. Without question. I also have a strong opinion (that CBS does not share) that they should probably wait to do any more Star Trek seasons for a couple of years until Viacom gets the full rights back. Not being allowed to use the iconic designs is killing the canon. Could you imagine what Worf would look like if Michael Dorn guest starred on the Picard show?

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Honestly, I'm fine with both since it's interesting to explore some events that happened in the past that were never explored upon before and it's interesting to follow up on where the current canon timeline left off.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
So does this mean more shoehorned in references to the original Star Trek a la season 4 of Enterprise?

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Still curious about the Picard show with no name yet. TV and movies seem to be doing the thing where they keep the title secret until a big reveal just to build hype. I don't know if Star Trek: Picard really is that great a title, so that probably won't be it.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
What is Discovery's identity and what direction do they want to go. Seasons 1 and 2 seemed to be prequels designed to explain, "This is how that happened in Star Trek history." This was controversial, but I don't think it was that bad an idea, just that it had hit and miss execution. Having them a thousand years in the future seemed to suggest it would go a completely different direction, but now it seems it won't be as disconnected as it sounds. If it's not as disconnected as it seemed at first, this might not be that bad as Discovery can still feel like the same show it was in seasons 1 and 2 depending on execution.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
I doubt there will be movies of DS9, VOY and ENT, but I could see Discovery getting some.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts