"Star Trek: Discovery" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

ShadowGUN

YES!YES!YES!
New Star Trek series is coming in 2017. The bad news it coming to CBS All Access service which cost $6 per month.

Season 1 Talkback
Airdate: September 24, 2017 to November 12, 2017; January 7, 2018 to February 11, 2018
Home Media Release: November 13, 2018

Season 2 Talkback
Airdate: January 17, 2019 to April 18, 2019
Home Media Release: November 12, 2019

Season 3 Talkback
Airdate: October 15, 2020 to January 21, 2021
Home Media Release: July 20, 2021

Season 4 Talkback
Airdate: November 18, 2021 to March 16, 2022
Home Media Release: December 6, 2022

Season 5 Talkback
Airdate: April 4, 2024 to

See Also: General TV Series News thread

Last edited by a moderator:

MDawg

Nerfariously planning
I don't watch CBS as it is outside of Colbert. I'm sure as hell not gonna pay to get a crappy CBS digital service to watch one thing that would interest me.

Official PR statement

This bit seems to make things interesting:
The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

I wonder if this could mean Worf is getting his show that Michael Dorn has been advocating for or at least something not set in the all-running, all the time reboot-universe.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Dangit, CBS, get with the program and join Hulu!!

Too early to tell just what's going on here...at MDawg said: is it in the "new" timeline? The "old" timeline? Next Generation era? The Captain Kirk era?

$6 is pretty cheap...I wonder if they'll dump all episodes online at once, like Netflix, or spread them out? I'd like to pay $6 and watch the entire season, and then cancel the service...

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Viacom seriously needs it's own kind of streaming service or something Star Trek is too important to Paramount to give up.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
And the poor thing won't get a second season I'll bet, not because of merit but because of this asinine subscription sales model.

Mandouga

This has made me wonder if streaming services are starting to become a "dumping ground" of sorts for shows that the networks (terrestrial or cable) either aren't willing to take a chance on or otherwise don't (or no longer) want to deal with (on a related note, Power Rangers is moving to Netflix in 2017), but goes (far) beyond the scope of this thread.

Suffice it to say, I will agree with one thing: CBS is making a mistake by making this show; the first in the soon-to-be 50 year franchise since Enterprise exclusive to their (paid) streaming service. Also consider this:

ABC has Watch ABC, NBC has their streaming app, Fox has Fox Now, and PBS has their streaming app. Okay, so the first three are free (with a cable subscription; for PBS, I think they need your e-mail address...well for the Roku version, anyway), but still, I hope this doesn't mark the beginning of a possible trend...

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
More and more people are abandoning the broadcast networks in favor of watching their favorite shows on the internet, and the network execs know this. And then you have the "cord cutters" who just watch the internet and don't bother with broadcast TV or cable at all. Network streaming services are hardly a "trend". It's the future. In another decade or so, I predict that the line between network, cable and the internet will be very blurred.

If Syfy were a true science fiction channel, then the new Star Trek series could air there.

Last edited:

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Not to get too off track, but doesn't that make the old "you can't buy cable channels individually" argument for the cable companies useless then?

This is too big a franchise to be taking a gamble on. Look what happened with Enterprise and UPN.

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
Not to get too off track, but doesn't that make the old "you can't buy cable channels individually" argument for the cable companies useless then?

Probably, but that won't stop the cable companies from continuing to charge their customers for channels by the package, I'd wager. There are a lot of channels that they know people wouldn't pay for if they had the option to skip them.

This is too big a franchise to be taking a gamble on. Look what happened with Enterprise and UPN.

Like I said before, Syfy could have aired the series, if science fiction were more of a priority for the channel.

Crash

Kurtzman? Yeah, that drains most of my interest for the series.... Wake me if Mannny Coto and company get involved...

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Like I said before, Syfy could have aired the series, if science fiction were more of a priority for the channel.

I could be misunderstanding, but Syfy is owned by NBC, and Star Trek is co-owned by CBS/Paramount, therefore: No, Syfy channel would not be a fit for airing a brand new Star Trek series.

defunctzombie said:

It's heading that way fast. See the "leaving cable behind" thread on the Entertainment forum, but that's the future, and CBS is banking on that, it seems...

the greenman

I'm curious about the series, but need more info at this point. I probably won't be paying for this until I get some feedback.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
2 rumors about the continuity about the series have surfaced.

The series, according to unnamed sources, will be set in the original continuity of the other TV shows, not the continuity of the new films, as rebooted by JJ Abrams. It's also said that the show will take place between the Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation time-frames (or more specifically, post- Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, the last of the stand-alone films featuring the original series cast.
This sounds like something all Trekkies could get behind.

Another source said the show will be an anthology, with virtually any time-frame in the Star Trek world being open in future seasons.
I suppose think Legends of Tomorrow on CW.

the greenman

I like the idea of being in between TOS and TNG. However, by jumping back and forth as an anthology will be kinda confusing.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Perhaps an anthology series like "American Horror Story" - a new setting each season?

So something like:

Season 1: Set between "TOS" and "TNG"?
Season 2: Set in the rebooted/altered new movie-verse?

I'd be down with that.

Gatomon41

Digipunk
A few rules for any new Star Trek:

1. Do not let Brannon Braga write anything dealing with evolution.
2. Do not let Brannon Braga write anything.
3. No Hippies.
4. No children.
5. Get a science consultant.
6. Listen to science consultant.
7. Do no use anymore subatomic technobabble that makes no sense.
8. If technobabble has to be used, at least use it correctly. Get a issue of Scientific American to see how it is done.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts