ToonJay723

Staff member
This is why I don't play modern videogames. When I was a kid, you could you know BUY a videogame and own it. You didn't have to keep spending money on downloads and all of these ridiculous things that should have come with the game in the first place. The reason I don't play downloadable videogames is because on some level I feel it's a sucker's market. I could just own Super Mario Bros and that was the end of it. I didn't have to keep rebuying stuff for something I already owned.
The annoying thing is that the game is only 55 GB, so Activision could have either compressed it it fit on a 50 GB Blu-ray Disc or put the game on two discs like Red Dead Redemption 2.

AnotherRandomGuy

The cat came back, he just couldn't stay away
Having grown up with the original trilogy, this remake has been...interesting to say the least. I've kinda warmed up to the new designs and the gameplay still looks as solid as ever.

I'll give a buy when I get around to it, there's still so many other games that came out this year I haven't bought yet (hello there Kirby Star Allies)

Mandouga

@ Fone Bone: No offense, but all that "back in my day" talk isn't going to help anybody. Besides, not all "modern videogames" are like that, and you know it. Not every company in the world tries to take advantage of game players like that. Not every company is EA, Activision, or other companies like that.

Look, I don't like what Activision has done with the Spyro Reignited Trilogy either, okay, but you make it sound like everybody does it, or that everybody will do it sooner or later. Should they have included all three games on one disc/game card, absolutely, but don't make it sound like it's the "new normal" or something. As for the "rebuying stuff you already own" idea, it's not that simple. I know that people objected when they had to pay one or two dollars to bring their Wii Virtual Console games to the Wii U, but in this case, it was for a few additional features (HD, original aspect ratio; neither of which the Wii versions have). If we were paying just to bring them over and nothing else, then there would be a problem. Should these additional features be free? Certainly, but in this particular case, it's not that much of a deal (i.e., it is a deal, but not to the point where people are being ripped off or anything).

I play video games from all time periods, and I know that not every modern video game does it. I just stay away from the ones that do (that said, I may get the downloadable versions of the Mega Man Legacy Collections, but no guarantees). The bottom line is, don't blame all modern video games for something one or two companies did. If it makes you feel any better, there are some modern game players out there who don't like what Activision has done either, and it's not the only questionable thing Activision has done (e.g., Skylanders: Imaginators has microtransactions, even though previous games didn't*).

*These particular ones can also be bought physically, but it's the principle of it.

EDIT: I made a few mistakes that I didn't catch previously. I meant to say that it is a deal, but "not" to the point where people are being ripped off or anything. I'm really sorry about that. I also meant to say in a sentence after that that "not" every modern video game does it, and that the bottom "line" is don't blame all modern video games. :(

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
@ Fone Bone: No offense, but all that "back in my day" talk isn't going to help anybody.
That would presume my complaints were MEANT to help anybody. They weren't.
Besides, not all "modern videogames" are like that, and you know it.
I actually DON'T know that. Did you read the part where I said I don't play them? But every thread on this board seems to be all about starter packs and all that nonsense, so as far I can tell that's all modern games are. I'll pass. I'm still on Super Mario World on the SNES Classic anyways, and am not bored yet. Still have 19 other games to play that I actually own. And that's not getting into my NES Classic either.

Mandouga

That would presume my complaints were MEANT to help anybody. They weren't.

Nevertheless...

I actually DON'T know that.

Well, not all of them are like that. End of story,

Did you read the part where I said I don't play them? But every thread on this board seems to be all about starter packs and all that nonsense, so as far I can tell that's all modern games are. I'll pass. I'm still on Super Mario World on the SNES Classic anyways, and am not bored yet. Still have 19 other games to play that I actually own. And that's not getting into my NES Classic either.

Oh, I read that part, all right, and to me that implied that that's really is what you think all "modern" video games are like. I'm sorry, but I sincerely don't know what else I'm supposed to think. For this reason:

My previous post remains unchanged.

ShadowBeast

I went to EBGames to get the game. Didn't have to ask for it since the employee guessed right away what I was looking for.

Cool_Cat

I try to avoid digital releases, because I prefer to be able to hold a physical copy of the game. I can do anything I want with it.

With that said, the downloadable games thing was a terrible way to get around the BD storage limit, because not everyone can connect their PS4 online, it took me 19 hours to download all that stuff. They could have easily compressed those 5 extra GBs.

At least I own a physical copy, so I can do whatever I want with it on any PSN account.

Just think about when a Steam user got suspended after having paid over 1000 on that account and losing everything.

Back to the game. They did a good job. I only don’t like certain color palettes which tend to be too shifted to purple, and the physics do not work very well. The load times are also very long and I’m glad I have the option for the soundtrack because the re arranged tracks are 90% of the times a disaster.

ShadowBeast

Anyone else finding the skateboard tricks in the third Spyro game being a big pain in the rear? I have the originals, and doing the skateboards tricks were never as difficult as the Reignited trilogy version is. The flips are especially hard since you've got to be completely level, otherwise you'll wipe-out.

ShadowBeast

Just finished beating all three games. Before I get to the fantastic stuff, lets get the minor complaints dealt with,
It was disappointing that the whack-a-mole challenge did haven't the same animation scene of what happens when you club the magician's assistants instead of the moles. I used to get a kick out of seeing them drop from being whacked to the point where I didn't care that I kept messing up (I think most of the time, I whacked them on purpose)
While the cutscenes showed plenty of emotion with the characters, the in-game scenes where lacking this. Still looks great though.
I wish we didn't get the same end credits with beating all three games. The original Year of the Dragon game showed things like Agent 9's tail becoming a snake and Gnasty Gnorc teaming up with Ripto during the end credits. The Ripto's Rage game had their own credits as well. Here we just get end credits that belongs to the first game for all three games.

As for the rest of the game, it was fantastic. Like Crash Bandicoot, I hope the Spyro game series gets continued after being remastered. I love most of the updated character designs. I'm even getting used to Elora's (still wish she looked closer to her original design). I especially love Bianca's since she has always been one of my favorite characters.
The cutscenes were all beautiful with more emotion in them. The game is just as fun to play as it was in the original. Tree Tops level is still infamous.

ToonJay723

Staff member
The Nintendo Switch version is 15 GB, and the physical version requires a 8.7 GB download.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts