SpongeBob SquarePants Vs Fairly OddParents

SweetShop209

SpongeBob and FOP are shows a lot of people remember, for better or worse. Both shows have gone on longer than they should, and should end already. However, if you had a choice as to which show you'd watch more, which one would it be? Which show do you think is better, including the modern seasons? I should say that if you disagree with someone, that's fine, but don't take it too far. I'm still trying to get my thoughts together, so I'll say in great detail which show I think is better at another time. If you want the short version, I've always liked SpongeBob more.

Last edited:

Getouttamylab!

Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool
Spongebob all the way. At least it's still capable of putting out a decent-to-actually pretty good episode. (Not that there aren't still duds here and there, but I'd have to go with the Sponge.)

kanc

I much prefer to watch SpongeBob more instead of Fairly OddParents. Fairly OddParents should have gotten better closure after season 9 but didn't. Nick should've indicated a press release for season 10. Butch's buddy should've overlooked Fairly OddParents ideas to make it more exciting, and should indicate the closure. SpongeBob should end after the current season. Both have overstayed the schedule for too long.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Well good SpongeBob is better than good FOP, but FOP took longer to become completely terrible than SpongeBob. FOP took until season 9 to become bad (seasons 4 - 7 were mediocre, and season 8 was actually okay) and SpongeBob became completely bad at season 6 (season 4 was good with a bad episode here and there, and season 5 is mixed).

But if I had to pick out of the two as a whole and not a specific time frame, I'd have to go with FOP. Even though the first three seasons of SpongeBob are masterpieces, the new episode are just so bad, it brings the entire show down, if you want to include everything.

But Stephen Hillenburg is coming back whenever season 10 starts, so if SpongeBob becomes good again and negates the damage done by season 6 through 9, I may change my mind.

90'sKid

I'd have to go with FoP, it maintained its soul up until season 9, Spongebob, by contrast, I always found to be (in my honestly honest opinion) a mediocre show. A lot of SB's comedy felt dry and cliche, the main protagonists are a whinny man-child and the others a dumb jerk. And a lot of the post-movie episodes featured the characters getting mutilated, emotionally tortured or flanderized. Then there's that laugh, like nails on a chalkboard. While FoP may have had a dud here and there (it's a wishful life) the show managed to remain good up until it's 9th season, which for a kids cartoon is pretty impressive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ShadowBeast

I gave up watching both shows a long time ago.
Fop was it's strongest in seasons 1-3 with seasons 4-5 having a few bad episodes season 6 had a couple of good episodes and season 7 is where I stopped watching.
Spongebob was a show I just watched out of boredom and it was there. I think I stopped watching around season 5.
Both shows were great in their own rights but I liked FOP more and if I were to end one of them it would be FOP, simply for the sake of putting it out of it's misery.

SaneMan

for the first 3 seasons, Fairly OddParents
in general, SpongeBob

at its worst, SpongeBob is merely annoying
at its worst, FOP is an insult to the very concept of the creative process

Lord Hater

Retired
I enjoyed the first three seasons of FOP, seasons 4-7 were decent, but I completely gave up on the show after Fairly OddPet.

I enjoy SpongeBob better but I hope it doesn't go on forever because no show should get more than 15 seasons or they'll end up bad like Simpsons. It should end at season 12.

ILuvToons

Yellow Pearl got sass!
SpongeBob, not that I enjoy its modern episodes. Before I would have said both, but SpongeBob had to continue after the first movie and FOP just kept going, added new characters like Poof, and had some underwhelming and unnecessary live-action movies. Really both are past their prime, but if I had to chose it'd be SB.

Dr.Pepper

Tough pick as I haven't watched either one on a regular basis in over a decade and always found them both to be okay for mindless entertainment. I think I am going to give SpongeBob the edge because I remember when it very first came out (like season one) I liked it quite a bit. I never felt that way about FOP.

CoolEric158

She rocks both ways.
Spongebob. At their best, both shows are pretty much equal, though maybe Spongebob's a little bit better. At their worst, well...Spongebob has had a lot more bad episodes in quality, while FOP has had a lot more bad episodes in quantity, especially considering how sidelined a good chunk of the characters were in the later run. (Seriously, what happened to Chester and AJ? Or Vicky? Or the holiday characters?) And arguably, Spongebob has gotten improvements over the years, with better episodes nowadays, while FOP gets less and less enjoyable after every new episode.

JoeMabbon

Hunter
This one looks like an open and shut case. I'm gonna throw my lot in with ol' Squarepants. Spongebob may be old and played out, but Fairly Oddparents has been terrible for a while now and its live action movie (I only saw the first one) was much, much worse than Spongebob's recent effort.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Only the first 3 seasons of Spongebob, in my honest opinion. That is all.

Other than anything after that - NOPE; Get it out of my face. Harvey Beaks beats BOTH of you!

GAME OVER

Coffee

The Fairly OddParents is still airing? That doesn't even seem right; it should have ended years ago... SpongeBob all the way! As everyone knows, the series lost a lot of it's charm after 2004, but I think that there were still good episodes here and there. I'll even go as far as to say that there were lots of good episodes after 2004.

Mikurotoro92

Banned
I liked both but I think both should end
because they have been going WAY too long! But spin-offs of both shows are welcome however!

jaylop97

Staff member
I will say both are suffering from seasonal rot but the FOP did better until 2008, and Spongebob 2006. Otherwise I still enjoy Spongebob more just because I know the future could be better for Spongebob

SweetShop209

I can think of a few reasons why I prefer SpongeBob to FOP. Keep in mind that everything here is based on my opinion and the facts I've gathered.

1. Cultural Significance- Somehow, SpongeBob became more of a cultural icon than FOP. It's been on the news, parades, and has 2 theatrical films. At least it has a reason to keep going. FOP has some cultural significance, but not enough to be considered an icon. Plus, SpongeBob's good and bad episodes are more remembered by the general public than FOP's episodes.

2. The Show runner- This part is a little tricky, but I think SpongeBob wins this one. The 2004 movie was meant to end the show, but when it was extended, Paul Tibbitt was made the show runner, most likely because he was one of the few writers who stayed on the first 3 seasons, and had no other plans to go to a different show. He tried to stay true to Stephen Hillenburg's vision, so he made sure no episodes referenced one another as to keep true to that vision, and managed to improve the show by season 8. It didn't always work out, but he at least tried. Plus, with Stephen Hillenburg's back in charge, there were more improvements to the show. Butch Hartman has been with FOP throughout its entire runtime, overlooking everything. He basically messed up his own lore just to stay relevant.

3. Good Modern Episodes- Here's where SpongeBob really succeeds over FOP. The good modern episodes of SpongeBob are more well known than the good modern FOP episodes. I'll put it like this. I asked a bunch of people about their favorite modern SpongeBob episodes, and I got 50 choices. I asked a bunch of people about their favorite modern FOP episodes, and I got no more than 5 choices.

Looney Turtles

I like both shows, but I'll always choose SpongeBob over Fairly OddParents. Also, the post-movie seasons of SpongeBob aren't nearly as bad as people say, in my opinion. With FOP, I can at least see where people are coming from when they say Season 9 is bad, even though I do still enjoy some episodes from that season.

Last edited:

Mr. Daniel

Back (but just occasionally)
Both are terrible. Both are stereotypical Nick show(s). - mean spirited, ignorant and cliché characters, and done to death episodes. The only thing good about them is the nostalgia factor.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Looneyfanfan wrote on Palk Áron 2002's profile.
Do you remember when CN Europe changed it's logo back in Late 2010?
Sokka is the Avatar now, and he just had to travel to another show to do it.

Here's a little something from Thomas Perkins.

For my newly joined followers, I highly recommend @RegularCapital's audiovisual research page. It contains a lot of interesting articles. Check it out! :) RegularCapital Audiovisual Research Wiki

I wish him the best continuation to this brilliant wiki.
I wish a happy birthday to Kevin McDonald and Khary Payton.

Edit: Before I forget, I also wish a happy 39th birthday to Tiya Sircar. She's voiced Sabine Wren in many Star Wars projects since Star Wars Rebels.

Featured Posts